Green Dragon

robert davis 141's page

Organized Play Member. 50 posts. No reviews. No lists. No wishlists.


RSS


thanks. I agree that I would prefer to be alive. I was looking for the DR because the campaign I am in is more range weapons than melee. If I can find DR/slashing, I can protect myself a lot better.


Does anyone know of a spell, item, or ability that gives DR/slashing?


I have a second level character but haven't been able to play for a while because the lower tier table is full. If I play a pregen on a higher tier what can I apply to the lower level character?

Can I apply the xp, pretige and fame now or do I have to wait til my character levels up to the level of the scenerio?


Thank you all for the imput. I am going to build a cleric.


I started playing with a barbarian because there was a lack of front liners in the groups. After playing three sessions I realized I didn't really enjoy playing a front liner. I thought I would enjoy the barbarian more than I do.

Since I haven't started the character at level 2 can I still rebuild the character into something I would enjoy more and keep the scenario sheets for the charcter?


thank you for your help.


so perception would be used and would only work with languages known. How would the DC be calculated?


What skill would be used to read lips? Would a person use perception or sense motive?


The problem with darkvisions and deeper darkness is that the spell negates darkvision. The spell says:
This functions like darkness, but even creatures with
darkvision cannot see within the spell’s confines.

So using darkness with darkvision would work.


Thank you. My Dm and I were wondering these with Blindsense, Blindsight, Scent and Tremmorsense. Tremorsense was the only one I couldn't find any clarification on the web or in the books.


creatures with tremorsense can pinpoint creatures that are within range. can you use stealth to hide from such creatures? When you are invisible is there still a miss chance to hit you.

The main reason I am asking the question is to tell if tremorsense is similar to blindsense or blindsight.


Does a clerics normal channel energy heal outsiders? In the entry it says it heals or harms living or dead. If it does heal outsiders why do you need the feats alignment channel and elemental channel?


Is there a way to disguise a spell using the bluff skill? If another caster is holding the action to counter a spell, would it be possible to use the bluff skill to make him think a different spell is being cast. If so how would you do that?


How does have one class help the other to create a know it all character, few bard levels add next to nothing to the knowledge checks, a few wizard levels does not do your character any good either.. I'd go bard all the way with a nice bard archetype personally.

This character was made before all of the other books came out. It was part of the characters backgroud. Before I changed him to all Pathfinder he also was a Maester from 3.5.


In the evasion ability that the specialist gets it says it is like the rogue's evasion. Does that mean that the specialist has to be wearing light armor to benefit from the evasion?

I am asking because the ranger's evasion states that if he is wearing medium armor he can still evade, while the rogue's states that it has to be light or no armor. Since the phrase in the specialist specifically states as the rogue's evasion.


In one of the campaigns I am in there are two characters with the leadership feat. Both of the cohorts have a background with the characters. One of the cohorts was a friend that fought with the PC, the other was a lesser member of the PCs faith. One of the cohorts was brought in to add flavor to the character. The other cohort was brought in to fill the healer role. This cohort stays in the middle of the party during battles and heals those that need it and buffs the party so that they can protect him. He stays out of the fighting as much as he can and buffs himself first and then the party. Neither of the cohorts tries to go to the front in battle.
Combat goes smoothly, because the two people with the cohorts are experienced gamers and usually prepare what they are going to do as the rounds are advancing. The equipment they receive from now on will come out of the PCs pocket. They came with basic NPC gear for 5th level.


Besides gaining levels and taking a feat, is there another way to learn new words of power?

A wizard can learn spells from other spellbooks or scrolls. Is this option available to wordcasters also?

On this note, it says that words of power have the same time and cost to add to a wordbook as a spell of the same level. Does that include taking up the same number of pages in the book or is it just one page per word?


1 person marked this as FAQ candidate.

Since a word of power spell has a set spell level, could a wordcaster create wands, potions, and scrolls?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

By the way it is worded it gives you the same ability as the half-elf to have two favored classes.


Can a mystic theurge cast opposite aligned arcane spells or are those prohibited by the cleric restrictions?


During our last gaming session, our rogue took out a water elemental with some dust of dryness.
What would happen if dust of dryness was used on a caster using the Elemental Body spell or a druid in wild shape as a water elemental if they failed their fortitude save?
If an outsider with the water subtype fails the save it is destroyed. Would the caster be forced back to its true form or take just the damage for a successful save? I'm just curious to know what people think.


Tom Baumbach wrote:
robert davis 141 wrote:
If that is the case why do the Animal companions receive a useless ability for the majority of them. They should receive something they can use.
Dunno what to tell ya. Here's what JJ has to say on the subject.

Thanks for the response. I hope there is an errata on that later though.


Both. Yes, creatures like the tiger receive no benefit from having Multiattack.

If that is the case why do the Animal companions receive a useless ability for the majority of them. They should receive something they can use.


Thank you both for the answer I just wanted to make sure.


Does multiattack mean 3 different natural weapons like a velociraptor, or 3 attacks with natural weapons like a tiger? If it means 3 weapons than there are very few animal companions that will use the feat as written and instead will get the extra attack. If it means 3 attacks than it is a wasted ability for most AC.


If a druid has multiple attacks for having a high base attack bonus, does he get an extra attack when in wild shape?

example: a 9th level druid with a base attack of 6/1 changes into a medium elemental. the elemental has one slam attack. would the druid be able to make two slam attack albeit with the second at -5?


Thank you. That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure.


I saw that the wildshape ability it improves over time. I was wondering if an 8th level druid took the shape of a large tiger would he be able to use the the pounce and rake ability. At 6th level he can't use the rake ability because it is given with beast shape 3.
I was wondering because he is changing into a large animal which is beast shape 2 but the ability is not available until beast shape 3. Do you have to be a huge animal to benefit from the abilities of beast shape 3 or can you be a smaller size animal and use the abilities?


In the campaign I am in now there are 7 players. To help balance this the gm has added a couple more monsters per encounter and also given the enemies more levels or a level or two for the monsters. I am getting ready to start my third character of the campaign because of his tactics and my poor saving throws. My first character failed the save for a suggestion spell and ended up grappled by a monster and before I could get free I was killed. My most recent death came because the tactics of the enemy divided the party into two groups and my character was hit two many times to survive even though I had a 30 armor class at 10th level and was taking out an enemy every 1.5 rounds. I was also the target of scorching ray.

One thing that I could suggest is use more mobile enemies on your group. A 4th level sorcerer with magic missile and scorching ray will hit the tanks almost every time. He can cast a spell and then move 30 feet away from the party. They will have to make double moves to try to keep up with him so they can attack.

Keep up with the game. It may take a little getting used to but IMO it is better than 3.5. Good luck


DM_Blake wrote:

Fleet of Foot allows you to break only one of the many "Charge" rules: you can make a direction change while charging. However, there are other rules that apply to charging, such as this one, which would prevent you from charging in the situation you describe:

Pathfinder Core Rules, Charge wrote:
If you don't have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can't charge that opponent.

Thank you for the response. I will bring it up tomorrow in our next session.


PathfinderEspañol wrote:

If you can't take 10 for accelerate crafting, high level magic items can take almost a year of work.

Furthermore, while it is an advantage for wizards, which have high intelligence scores and a good ammount of skill points to spend; getting a high bonus for that use hurts if you are a sorcerer or cleric. Let the wizard enjoy his advantages.

When you craft magic items you only need to make one crafting check at the end of the time. It only takes one day per 1000gp or 2000gp if you accelerate. Unlike the craft skill in which you have to make a check every day.


In a combat if you have the feat fleet of foot, which allows up to a 90 degree turn during a charge, would you charge an opponent that is around a corner that you cannot see.

example. Your party is in a large room and you get attacked. You are near a hallway that enters into the room, but can't see into the hallway. Arrows have been coming from the hallway attacking your party, so you know the archer is an enemy. is it permissible to charge the archer using fleet of foot without seeing the archer at the beginning of your turn.


The GM in my game where I play a crafter, has the rule that a 1 always fails. My wizard would not craft an item where he would have the chance to fail by 5 or more so we said that if I rolled a 1 the item would be cursed. This is the only reason the GM woudn't allow me to take 10 on the crafting check.


In our last campaign when I used mirror image the enemies had no problem hitting my AC. we just rolled to se who was hit. one thing to remember is that if the wizard uses all of these defensive spells then he doesn't have as many offensive spells. If the wizard is willing to sacrifice offense to protect himself then how is he going to deal damage.


The question I have is when a character is being flanked and tries to tumble away but fails the tumble check. Would only one of the flankers get the AoO or would they both get one? The idea is when exactly does the AoO happen at the beginning of the movement or during the movement?

An example is the player (P) is flanked by E1 and E2. E1-P-E2
He tries to tumble behind E2 but fails. When does he provoke?


Abraham spalding wrote:

He would have to be able to act in the surprise round otherwise it's a useless ability to him...

However one level in wizard and diviner specialization and it's always useful.

Thats what I thought. I have a plan for a diviner rogue for a future campaign. The GM has the first combat of the night already set up, so when we take a break I will mention this to him.


I want to make sure I understand this rogue talent correctly. The rogue gets to sneak attack anyone on the suprise round because they are considered flat footed for the rogue even if they have acted.

He is where I would like the clarification. Does the rogue automatically act in the suprise round or does he still have to make the perception check to detect the opponent in order to act in the round?

I personally think he needs to make the check in order to take advantage of the ability. Any clarification would be helpful.


In the description of the alignment detection spells it says that a creature with 5 or less hd doesn't have an aura. Does this mean that a 3rd level evil fighter would not be detected with the spell detect evil since he doesn't have an aura? The reason I am asking is that I am playing an inquisitor and wanted to use the spell when entering a diplomatic situation. If low level characters don't have an aura and thus don't register with the detect spells it losses a little of its functionality at low levels.


The character in question is a loremaster and a crafter. His main purpose is to be the party know-it-all. His two knowledge focuses are history and arcana so he fits well in rise of the rune lords.


The description of a ring of wizardry is that it doubles the number of spells for the given level for arcane casters. If a bard/wizard uses a ring of wizardry would it double the spells for both arcane classes?


erian_7 wrote:
Actually, I've got them all in my Excel character sheet (check my profile). This is current for all traits through Dwarves of Golarion (that's 214 traits if I counted them right). Note that mine are thr stripped-down/OGC versions of the traits. So, for instance, if you look at the description for the Earning Your Freedom campaign trait from Legacy of Fire, you'll only see the mechanics of the trait since the rest is campaign-specific and so I did not consider it OGC.

Does the list mention what campaign it is out of?


If you use a feat from the players guide for the Curse of the Crimson Throne called crossbow mastery--you can reload any type of crossbow as a free action and the action doesn't provoke AoO. If you take this feat for the Heavy crossbow you can add even more damage.


These appear in our Pathfinder Companion line of products. Each one generally has a new handful of choices along these lines. They're not currently compiled in one location. Fortunately... the 40 traits in the basic rules should be enough to start things out if you don't have access to any Companion books.

Thank you


In our next campaign we are going to use character traits. I have been able to find the basic and campaign traits. where can I find the race, religion and region character traits?


In the PC Dieties and Magic each diety has a specific spell for its followers and somestimes special spell abilities such as spells at lower levels or spells added to the casters spell list. Would an inquisitor be able to receive these spells and spell abilities. If they do receive these things which caster would they emulate.


on page 152 it says that a shields enhancement bonus doesn't improve the shield bash. If you want to have bonuses to attack and damage with the shield you need to enchant it as a weapon at the same cost of a magic weapon.


A question has come up in our campaign about what is possible in an area with a dimension lock on it. We were wondering if you could retrieve items from a bag of holding and other magical storage items in an area that is under the effects of a dimension lock spell. Since dimension lock prevents travel from place to place we weren't sure if it would also affect bags of holding.


Will there be a feat that an inquisitor can take that will add a few more uses of the judgement ability similar to the extra channel and extra mercy feats? I think that would help the inquisitor be able to be more effective longer in the day, and not have to save his judgement for a large battle that might not occur.


In a couple of weeks the group I am in is going to start a new campaign and I wanted to use one of the new classes. My GM always starts at first level. I noticed that none of the new classes gives the amount of starting gold they receive at first level. What should be the starting gold for each of the new classes?


Brooch of Shielding. Its base cost is 1500 and the cost to create is 1250. Shoud the base cost be 2500 or is the cost to create supposed to be 750?