Benjamin Sherman "Scatman" Crothers not only did voice work of Jazz the Autobot in Transformers, he also voiced a 30 second commercial about 'Yuck Mouth'
I have developed an elaborate theory that the Flintstones and the Jetsons not only exist in the same universe, but exist at the same time. The Flintstones live in the regressed post-apocalytpic future on the surface of earth, whereas the Jetsons are among those lucky wealthy elite who managed to escape whatever catastrophe happened ground-side and dwell in magnificent techno-wondrous cloud cities.
Your theory makes sense because it explains two features of the world depicted in The Flintstones: the coexistence of humans and dinosaurs, and their ability to recreate twentieth-century technology using paleolithic materials.
When I was in college in the early 70s, Star Trek was on three different networks at 5, 6, and 7 PM. The trekkies would insist on watching all three in the student union, which really pissed off the people who wanted to watch the evening news.
245: (The short story "The Star Dummy") The extraterrestrial introduces himself: "I am a Man, from Earth."
246: (Same short story) The human and visitor discover that caffeine affects them as ethanol affects us, and vice-versa. "Yes. And I was surprised to see you putting away such strong liquor so early in the morning."
Even if I had attempted a will save against pedantry in this instance, I would have suffered a -10 penalty. Some straight lines are just too good to pass up.
I won a prize from a local radio station, and the DJ asked me where I worked.
"CVU High School," I answered.
"So, are you going to go around correcting Rich and I?" she asked.
This is a good place to mention what I call this sort of correction (not Theconiel's that's important): A Peanut correction.
a Peanut is neither a pea, nor a nut. it is in fact a bean.
And that changes NOTHING about how they are used, consumed, or enjoyed. but it is factually true. Kind of a reminder to myself not to care too much about correcting people on that kind of thing.
Peanuts, peas, and beans are all legumes (family Fabaceae or Leguminosae). Clover is also in the family Fabaceae.
I want to scream in rage when I hear "a few bad apples" used to mean some sort of minor problem. Have people ever heard the saying that one bad apple spoils the bunch?
I have a passive-aggressive cell phone. If I plug it into a slow charger, it reminds me that it could be plugged into a fast charger. If I plug it into a fast charger, it reminds me that it could be charged wirelessly.
When you charge it wirelessly does it say, "Slow-charging me would be more energy-efficient?"
That would be the point when I would, as Zaphod Beeblebrox put it, use a very large ax to give it a reprogramming it will never forget.
I have a passive-aggressive cell phone. If I plug it into a slow charger, it reminds me that it could be plugged into a fast charger. If I plug it into a fast charger, it reminds me that it could be charged wirelessly.
Barnaby Jones is an American detective television series starring Buddy Ebsen as a formerly retired investigator and Lee Meriwether as his widowed daughter-in-law. They run a private detective firm in Los Angeles, California. The show was originally introduced as a midseason replacement on the CBS network and ran from 1973 to 1980. Halfway through the series' run, Mark Shera was added to the cast as a much younger cousin of Ebsen's character, who eventually joined the firm.
Barnaby Jones was produced by QM Productions (with Woodruff Productions in the final two seasons). It had the second-longest QM series run (seven and a half seasons), behind The F.B.I.'s nine-year run. The series followed the characteristic Quinn Martin episode format with commercial breaks dividing each episode into four "acts," concluding with an epilogue. The opening credits were narrated by Hank Simms. Jerry Goldsmith composed the series' distinctive theme music.
The first episode of the show, "Requiem for a Son", featured a crossover with another QM program, Cannon, with William Conrad guest-starring as detective Frank Cannon. There was another crossover between the two programs in the 1975 two-part episode "The Deadly Conspiracy".
Buddy Ebsen, who played Jed Clampett in the TV show The Beverly Hillbillies reprised the role of Barnaby Jones in the movie version of The Beverly Hillbillies.
Lord of the Flies is the 1954 debut novel of British author William Golding. The plot concerns a group of prepubescent British boys who are stranded on an uninhabited island and their disastrous attempts to govern themselves that lead to a descent into savagery. The novel's themes include morality, leadership, and the tension between civility and chaos.
Lord of the Flies was generally well received and is a popularly assigned book in schools.
I read that book almost fifty years ago, and it still gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies.
I watch a lot of sports. In the past year, the new grating sportscaster meme is calling something good in a NON-BASEBALL sport a 'home run'.
No. He did not hit a home run. He threw a football well and the other guy caught it well. No, she did not hit a home run. She vaulted the HELL out of that vault and stuck the landing. And if a tennis player hits a home run, they're definitely doing it wrong.
Seriously, people. Are you so bereft of metaphors?!
I'm literally besides myself with rage. That's the penultimate failure.
This comment is perfect.
*Takes bow. Nods head, smiling with gratitude. Begs forgiveness from fellow pedants.*
I understand that colloquial definitions are not literal definitions, but every time I hear someone use the phrase "completely decimated," I die a little inside.
I watch a lot of sports. In the past year, the new grating sportscaster meme is calling something good in a NON-BASEBALL sport a 'home run'.
No. He did not hit a home run. He threw a football well and the other guy caught it well. No, she did not hit a home run. She vaulted the HELL out of that vault and stuck the landing. And if a tennis player hits a home run, they're definitely doing it wrong.
Seriously, people. Are you so bereft of metaphors?!
I'm literally besides myself with rage. That's the penultimate failure.
Einstein, Newton, and Pascal were playing hide-and-seek. It was Einstein's turn to count, so he leaned against a tree, closed his eyes, and began counting. Pascal ran into the woods, but Newton piked up a stick and drew a square, one meter on a side, in the dirt.
Einstein finished counting, turned around, and saw Newton. "Aha! Newton, I found you," he called.
"No, you didn't," Newton answered, "You found one Newton per square meter. You found Pascal."
Pain is dependable. Pain is reliable. If everyone else abandons you, pain will still be there for you; pain will never abandon you. You can trust pain.
Creedence Clearwater Revival, commonly abbreviated as CCR or simply Creedence, was an American rock band formed in El Cerrito, California, in 1959. The band consisted of the lead vocalist, lead guitarist, and primary songwriter John Fogerty; his brother, the rhythm guitarist Tom Fogerty; the bassist Stu Cook; and the drummer Doug Clifford. These members had played together since 1959, first as the Blue Velvets and later as the Golliwogs, before settling on Creedence Clearwater Revival in 1967. The band's most prolific and successful period, between 1969 and 1971, produced 14 consecutive top-10 singles (many of which were double A-sides) and five consecutive top-10 albums in the United States, two of which—Green River (1969) and Cosmo's Factory (1970)—topped the Billboard 200 chart. The band performed at the 1969 Woodstock festival in upstate New York and was the first major act signed to appear there.
CCR disbanded acrimoniously in late 1972 after four years of chart-topping success. Tom had quit the band the previous year and John was at odds with the remaining members over matters of business and artistic control, all of which resulted in lawsuits among the former bandmates. John's disagreements with Fantasy Records owner Saul Zaentz led to more court cases and John refused to perform with the two other surviving members of the band—Tom had died in 1990—at Creedence's 1993 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Though the band has never publicly reunited, John continues to perform CCR songs as part of his solo act, while Cook and Clifford performed as Creedence Clearwater Revisited from 1995 to 2020.
CCR's music remains popular and is a staple of U.S. classic rock radio airplay. The compilation album Chronicle: The 20 Greatest Hits, originally released in 1976, is still on the Billboard 200 and reached the 600-week mark in August 2022. It has been certified 12-times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America for at least 12 million copies sold in the U.S.
CCR holds the record for the most #2 singles (5) without a #1 single.
WEVT-LP is a low-power (100 W) broadcaster located in Enosburg, Vermont. The station broadcasts at a frequency of 98.1 MHz on the FM band. It is also available at http://wevt.com. Its format is oldies during the day, modern rock 'n' roll at night, and big band on Sunday morning. Like other low-power radio stations, WEVT is commercial-free.
Detective Chimp (Bobo T. Chimpanzee) is a superhero appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics. A common chimpanzee who wears a deerstalker cap (à la fictional sleuth Sherlock Holmes), Detective Chimp has superhuman-level intelligence and solves crimes, often with the help of the Bureau of Amplified Animals, a group of intelligent animals that also includes Rex the Wonder Dog. He originally appeared in the final years of the Golden Age of Comic Books, continuing into the early years of the Silver Age.
After his initial appearance in Adventures of Rex the Wonder Dog he continued to appear in that title as a backup feature until 1959, at which point he faded into obscurity. Several decades after his last appearance, Detective Chimp appeared in several cameos, namely in a 1981 story, "Whatever Happened to Rex the Wonder Dog?" (DC Comics Presents #35) and later in a brief cameo with Sam Simeon in Gorilla City during 1985's Crisis on Infinite Earths. Following these appearances, Bobo started appearing in DC titles with some regularity, appearing in issues of Green Lantern, The Flash, and other titles. This eventually led to prominent roles in the 2005 Day of Vengeance miniseries and subsequently as a regular in its spin-off series Shadowpact. The character has gone on to guest-star in other DC Comics titles, and has been a key member of the second incarnation of the Justice League Dark since its 2018 reboot.
Detective Chimp has made limited appearances in media outside comics, with Kevin Michael Richardson and Fred Tatasciore voicing him in Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Teen Titans Go! respectively.
Can we get a crossover in which Detective Chimp takes on Mojo Jojo?
I like bread. I like the taste and texture of bread. Naan, pita, sourdough bread, French bread, Italian bread, rye bread, pumpernickel, I like them all. I even like ordinary white bread sometimes.
If you want to mess with someone who believes in the "chemtrails" conspiracy theory, you can point out that one of the major components of airplane exhaust is dihydrogen monoxide.
OK. I feel like I've done very well avoiding politics or politics-adjacent discussions since I came back. But this is so phenomenally, fundamentally, hilariously stupid that I simply can't let it go.
** spoiler omitted **
If there is a cartoon about this, it probably looks like a Rube Goldberg.
On 20 January 1982, Ozzy Osbourne bit the head off a bat that he thought was rubber while performing at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines, Iowa. According to a 2004 Rolling Stone article, the bat was alive at the time; however, 17-year-old Mark Neal, who threw it onto the stage, said it was brought to the show dead. According to Osbourne in the booklet to the 2002 edition of Diary of a Madman, the bat was not only alive but managed to bite him, resulting in Osbourne being vaccinated against rabies. On 20 January 2019, Osbourne commemorated the 37th anniversary of the bat incident by offering an "Ozzy Plush Bat" toy "with detachable head" for sale on his personal web-store. The site claimed the first batch of toys sold out within hours.
Ozzy's later comment about the incident was a classic British understatement.
My voicemail message is a limerick. People are generally amused by it, and are therefore more likely to leave a message. It has happened only once that the caller couldn't stop laughing long enough to leave a message.
If a pronoun is a word that takes the place of a noun, why isn't a proverb a word that takes the place of a verb?
Because I am the sort of person I am, what started as a joke turned into a serious question. According to Merriam-Webster online, a proverb (with a long O) can in fact be a verb that takes the place of another verb. For example, in the sentence "Act as I do," the word do is a proverb.
Goldbach's conjecture, that every even number ≥ 4 is the sum of two prime numbers, is one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics. To date, all even numbers up to 4,000,000,000,000,000,000 (4*10^18) have been tested, and no counterexample has been found, but the conjecture remains unproven.
It has been proven that every odd number ≥ 7 is the sum of three prime numbers, which means that every even number ≥ 10 is the sum of four prime numbers (and 8 = 2+2+2+2).
My dog had a good day yesterday. My son gave her dinner while I was out, then he went to work. When I got home, I fed her dinner again. Happy satiated dog.
Hector Laskaris grew up with a single mom, Louise Laskaris, who would not reveal much to him about his father. She seemed to think highly of Hector's father, but would only give vague answers to the questions that Hector posed to her.
When Hector turned 16, he was walking home from his school when a strange cog came rolling in. The fog was bizarre and Hector began to rush forward to try and get home. As he did he almost ran straight into a large man who was suddenly in front of him in a light colored suit. Hector was sure that no one had been standing there before the fog rolled in, so he started backing up. The figure held up his hands and told Hector to stop. He then explained to Hector that he was his father and his name was Zeus.
It took a while for Hector to believe that the man was his father and also a mythical figure. The two spent what seemed like hours talking in the foggy streets. At the end, Zeus told Hector that it was time to give him his present. He told Hector to call on his name while wanting the Gift. When Hector did, a bolt of lightning struck him and his physical form erupted into a body made of pure energy. As Hector looked down at himself the fog melted away and his father was gone.
Since that time, Hector has been flying around learning about his abilities and preparing to become a hero like his legendary half-brothers.