About Bump of the Kokiri Forest
Ten Minutes Background:
Step 1: write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character.:
- Bump is from the barbarian tribes. He was abandoned while still a child and raised, in the forest, together with the cubs by an old tigress, Madetara. Such tigress had been a companion of an adventurer for a long time, and developed a rudimentary level of intelligence.
- Bump never received a proper last name and has no idea of who his parents are; yet, coming from the forests near the Kokiri river, the other Humans called him Bump of the Kokiri Forest when they first met the savage boy.
- Bump is young and full of energy, but his wild roots make him very socially awkward, as supposed. When he was first found, he was brought in by the savage tribe of the Na'arguru, who gave him a more Human-like education. Yet, he'd still keep fleeing to the forest to play with the young tigers.
- Shiva, his companion, is a female tiger and the youngest cub of Madetara. Shiva is fiercely loyal to Bump, who's loyal to her; they don't actually know who's the pet and who's the brawler.
- Bump specialized in guiding people through the diverse forests of the world, becoming an accomplished mapmaker. He doesn't actually understand much of geography per se, but can draw maps like no one.
Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game.:
Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet.:
- What Bump knows: he keeps it a secret, but he doesn't actually know how to read very well and has extreme difficulties with knowledge skills, as intelligent as he might be. His very humble origins ashame him but he tries to keep it hidden as much as he can; yet, when he creates his talented maps, he usually draws the letters and symbols instead of writing too much. He's even worse writing than reading!
- What Bump doesn't know: his parents were adventurers - his mother, for instance, was a druid that kept Madetara as her companion for her entire life. They sacrificed themselves so Madetara could live and raise her cubs, so the tigress never revealed it to Bump. They were adventurers from the conquered tribes, and were killed by elementalist extremists.
Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile.:
- Madetara isn't really a person, but she's the closest to a mother that Bump ever knew. The intelligent tigress is old, over 60 years old, and was the companion of a druid for her entire life. She can't really speak but her intelligence is astounding and far beyond animal level.
- Xaandu of the Na'arguru was the Barbarian leader who found and raised Bump, giving him a more Human-like education. When he found Bump the youngling was already six-year-old, but having lived his entire young life between tigers, he was very savage. Xaandu took him by heart and gave him an entire new perspective, yet the Na'arguru tribe always respected the will of the yound man and he was allowed to live half of his life back on the forests near the Kokiri river. On the barbarian tribe, much more civilized than what the name would suppose, the war tradition raised a proud martial school specialized in defensive combat.
- Zeddele is a powerful and evil fire elemental of outsider roots and a terrible xenophobic humour. An ancient outsider who acted in the shadows during the first Idris war, Zeddele was known for hunting and killing dissidents, like Bump's parents. Zeddele knows they left an offspring and knows about Madetara, but could never manage to locate where the old tigress hode with the Human child.
Step 5: Describe three memories that your character has.:
- Bump remembers clearly when he was first found by Xaandu and the rest of the Na'arguru. Those strange creatures were so different than his mother and brothers, yet they looked so much like him! He almost immediately trust them, despite better judgment.
- Bump remembers when he was accepted on the martial schools of the Na'arguru and started training. He was ten years old. More specifically, the dinner was the first time he ate using utensils, as Xaandu, the leader, had taught him months before.
- Finally, Bump remembers when he first draw a map and found his calling as a guide and survivor on the outskirt forests. That first map was drawn on the dark sand, near the river stones, and he did so for some barbarians of a different tribe who were passing by. They gave him a coin in exchange for his excellent services. He was fourteen by then.
Bump of the Kokiri Forest
Human brawler (wild child) 3 (Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide 23, 89)
NG Medium humanoid (human)
Init +3; Senses Perception +6
AC 19, touch 14, flat-footed 15 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +1 dodge, +1 shield)
hp 34 (3d10+12)
Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +2
Speed 30 ft.
Melee madu (leather) +7 (1d4+4) or
. . madu (leather) flurry of blows +5/+5 (1d4+4) or
. . tonfa +7 (1d6+4) or
. . tonfa flurry of blows +5/+5 (1d6+4) or
. . unarmed strike +7 (1d6+4) or
. . unarmed strike flurry of blows +5/+5 (1d6+4)
Ranged dart +6 (1d4+4) or
. . javelin +6 (1d6+4)
Special Attacks brawler's flurry, maneuver training (grapple +1), martial flexibility 4/day
Str 18, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 15, Wis 11, Cha 9
Base Atk +3; CMB +7 (+8 grapple); CMD 21 (22 vs. grapple)
Feats Combat Expertise, Crane Style[UC], Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike
Traits aldori caution, beastkin (tiger), nomadic (bas'o)
Skills Acrobatics +5, Climb +4, Craft (mapmaking) +8, Escape Artist +3, Handle Animal +5, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +6, Knowledge (local) +6, Perception +6, Ride +5, Sense Motive +4, Survival +9, Swim +4
Languages Common, Dwarven, Goblin
SQ brawler's cunning, maneuver training, martial training, unlearned
Other Gear lamellar (leather) armor[UC], dart (8), javelin, madu (leather)[UC], tonfa[UC], artisan's tools, backpack, bandolier[UE], basic maps (major landmarks only), bedroll, flint and steel, hemp rope (50 ft.), knife, utility (0.5 lb), mess kit[UE], torch (10), trail rations (5), waterskin, weapon cord[APG] (2), wrist sheath, spring loaded, wrist sheath, spring loaded, 3 gp, 3 sp
Aldori Caution extra +1 dodge bonus to AC when fighting defensively or in total defense.
Beastkin (Tiger) (Sp) Raised with a certain type of animal, gain +1 to survival checks and can Speak with animals at will with that type of animal.
Brawler's Cunning (Ex) Count as Int 13 for the purpose of combat feat pre-requisites.
Brawler's Flurry +1/+1 (Ex) Can make full attack & gain two-wep fighting, but only with unarmed strike, close, or monk wep.
Combat Expertise +/-1 Bonus to AC in exchange for an equal penalty to attack.
Crane Style Fight defensive pen reduced to -2. When in style, dodge bonus increases by 1.
Dodge +1 dodge to AC.
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
Maneuver Training (Ex) Manuever training choices can also be performed by animal comp as bonus tricks.
Martial Flexibility (move action, 4/day) (Ex) As a Move action, gain a combat feat for 1 min. More gained for greater actions.
Martial Training (Ex) Brawler levels count as fighter/monk levels for feat/item pre-reqs and effects.
Nomadic (Survival) +1 to knowledge (geography) and survival, one of them becomes a class skill.
Unlearned (Knowledge [nature]) You cannot attempt untrained checks with knowledge skills other than the one selected.
Fighting Style (Defensive):
Basic Fight Defensively: -4 Attack / +2 Dodge bonus to AC
Combat Expertise: -1 Attack / +1 Dodge bonus to AC
Fighting Defensively not in style: -0 Attack / +4 Dodge bonus to AC
Talent Show Introduction:
Bump had arrived early, that day, but the several hours of wait haven't calmed much the young barbarian. The guard of the Cloud Vale had indicated that Bump and Shiva - his pet tiger - were to be isolated from the rest of the city due to obvious reasons; so, even though Bump had managed to convince Shiva to let herself be leashed within the city, yet the two were forced to wait down the dungeons near the church attached to the queen's palace.
Even though not exactly caged, that's how the duo felt; they were too used to the wilderness and freedom, so the cold stone walls weren't doing them any good. Shiva approached Bump and pushed herself against his legs, smiling, as if noticing his "brother" was a little too nervous, and they had to be on their best if they were to be chosen.
Bump and Shiva were extremely interested on the new mercenary company being formed. That was an opportunity to horn their skills, collect some coins and get to know the world. Plus, maybe they had a chance to understand more about the history of the world, the rebellion, and the past of Madetara and Bump's real parents. Their thoughts were interrupted when one of the guards opened the immense wooden door, reinforced with plaques of pure steel.
Come, wildling. - he burped his words, rudely, but the humble Bump followed without saying a word. Shiva seemed to have shaken her head, but followed right after.
They were taken to what looked like the center of an arena. The number of guards was elevated and the protections were obvious - yet, many people seemed to gasp silently, and the crowd noise quickly became a multitude of whispers.
Show us what you can do. - another guard, a sargeant, yelled, slightly more politely.
Bump kneeled in front of Shiva and pet her head. Immediately, he looked her in the eyes and started speaking with her. Although no one would quite understand, it swiftly became apparent that he was actually asking her questions or favors, and she was replying on her own language. It was a strange, yet fascinating event. One of the guards was about to interrupt the "show" asking if all Bump was capable of was to talk to his overgrown cat, but at that moment Bump stood up and took a martial stance.
Shiva circled around him, moving with her feline eyes fixed towards his brother, with a sense of threat - ready to wildly jump. And that's how they started fighting.
Both were clearly holding their punches, fighting nonlethally, yet the speed and grace was impressive. While Shiva was as savage and strong as would be expected from a tiger - even such a young one - Bump's style was defensive and focused, a mix of dance and martial swings with both his very exotic weapons.
Finally, after some moments, the sargeant signed for them to stop. Bump stopped fighting and whispered something to Shiva, which came out of her attack stance and slowly circled Bump, stopping by his side and downing her head, as the barbarian sheathed back his weapons.
This was... Definitely different. Unexpected, I'd say. Return to the dungeons, please. The Queen and her advisors will talk between themselves and decide your fate. - the guard said.
Bump greeted, silently, and turned around, being followed by Shiva.
Did you see? - the brother spoke, not too loudly, on the tiger's language - He said "please". That's progress, sister!
Whatever. - she growled back, not wanting to recognize he was right. Yet, she let escape a small smile.