Planned sequel to Rusthenge?


Adventures


So I bought Rusthenge, and gave it a broad overview (avoiding info on traps and the like to avoid spoilers just in case I play rather than GM). I am curious if there's a planned sequel to the adventure because, upon reading it, it seems a lot harder to gravitate to other adventures (Wardens of Wildwood in our case) than first appears

Spoiler:
The Runelord of Envy, Belimarius, while not the primary antagonist of the adventure, is def portrayed as a future antagonist for the Kindred Coast. This then creates a puzzle for any group thinking of leaving the Ironbound Isles as it feels like abandoning friends and family to an impending occupation. Originally I presumed that Belimarius would be an unpleasant but non-threatening ruler, and figured that the best way forward would be working with the two villages to accept their fate and encourage them to seek concessions in return for lack of political independence. However, if Belimarius is the type that would potentially ally with a demon cult, then I'm not so sure that's the better option between surrender, mass migration, or fighting against (nigh) impossible odds.

What are a GM and group's options here? Is there a planned sequel that will resolve this thread? Otherwise, I'm probably just gonna recommend that the group outsource the problem's resolution to the Pathfinder Society- with either of the Kindred Coast Villages building a lodge in return for successful aid in negotiating with, fighting (not recommended), or fleeing the

Spoiler:
likely expansion of Xin-Edasseril.
This would allow my low level party to leave without feeling guilt for abandoning the Kindred Coast.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.

There is no sequel planned for Rusthenge, because the implied continuation for it is to move on to Seven Dooms for Sandpoint, which itself will have an Adventure Path continuation later in 2025 (so keep those Seven Dooms for Sandpoint PCs handy!).

If your PCs are attached to the Kindred Coast and don't want to leave, then your best bet would be to craft a bespoke campaign for them to continue. We've got several standalone adventures that could work to fill in gaps—Malevolence could be placed in the area, for example, relatively easily.

If you go for a bespoke Kindred Coast campaign, then I would for sure suggest planning out to 12th level and then waiting to see if what we've got planned later in 2025 as a potential continuation from Seven Dooms for Sandpoint would be a fun continuation from your custom campaign.


James Jacobs wrote:

There is no sequel planned for Rusthenge, because the implied continuation for it is to move on to Seven Dooms for Sandpoint, which itself will have an Adventure Path continuation later in 2025 (so keep those Seven Dooms for Sandpoint PCs handy!).

If your PCs are attached to the Kindred Coast and don't want to leave, then your best bet would be to craft a bespoke campaign for them to continue. We've got several standalone adventures that could work to fill in gaps—Malevolence could be placed in the area, for example, relatively easily.

If you go for a bespoke Kindred Coast campaign, then I would for sure suggest planning out to 12th level and then waiting to see if what we've got planned later in 2025 as a potential continuation from Seven Dooms for Sandpoint would be a fun continuation from your custom campaign.

Thx for heads up. I’ll see what they think once we finish


Personlly, I'm of the opinion the most immediate danger to the Kindred Coast after Rusthenge concludes is

Spoiler:
The Horn of Rust and destroying/hiding it

so I'd expect the easiest plot hook for continuing is tying dealing with it to the next adventure.


Squark wrote:

Personlly, I'm of the opinion the most immediate danger to the Kindred Coast after Rusthenge concludes is ** spoiler omitted **

so I'd expect the easiest plot hook for continuing is tying dealing with it to the next adventure.

Yeah, unless the players wish to stay in the region (they might. They’re more into RP and tend to develop strong attachments to characters) I plan on suggesting that either the Pathfinder Society take custody over

Spoiler:
the horn
and/or visit the druids of Wildwood with danger in tow for advice on the matter. This would lead to Wardens of Wildwood.

I think it might be a fun twist for the mcguffin of the first adventure playing a role in the second. The aGM would have to be down with it of course, but I’m none too concerned it will present too much of an advantage. If anything it would be a handicap if carried personally by the party, as I doubt anyone in my party would use it.

Spoiler:
(They’re Tolkien enthusiasts, and would probably eschew using the McGuffin, seeing it as an ultimately corrupting influence)

It might even raise the stakes if the party decides to unknowingly entrust it to wrong hands in Wardens in Wildwood.

My only concern though is whether the item is Foundry-compatible for 2e remaster. Does anyone know how that works, carrying over items made for Foundry 2e adventure work for a Foundry 2e remastered adventure?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mammoth Daddy wrote:
My only concern though is whether the item is Foundry-compatible for 2e remaster. Does anyone know how that works, carrying over items made for Foundry 2e adventure work for a Foundry 2e remastered adventure?

AFAIK Foundry doesn't really separate Legacy and Remaster in any meaningful way. They took out a lot of the overlapping classes / spells / feats and stuff, but those are all available in a module called "PF2e Legacy" which you can install if you want to use say, the old Wizard schools. But all the old items and monsters should just be in the compendium by base. And I can confirm that the

Spoiler:
Horn of Rust
is in the compendium even without the Legacy module installed.
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventures / Planned sequel to Rusthenge? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Adventures