What races, if any, would have a problem with Superhumans?


Advice


So I'm making a Superhuman race with the race builder. I kind of envision X-Men and The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, in terms of lore of the race, not powers, and so I have Defensive Training, Lesser (Human) as a default option, which is 1 RP, and it can be traded for Hatred (which is also 1 RP), for the group of Superhumans that do more than just try to survive, by actually taking the fight to those that discriminate against them.

Hatred, however, says to pick two subtypes of humanoid or outsider, so I'm having an issue on what to make the second race.

I would make it Superhuman, but I'm giving Superhumans the human subtype, so they can take human only options like the feat Racial Heritage, so even if I give them superhuman as a second subtype, it wouldn't matter, as the bonus isn't going to stack with itself.

Which brings me to the title of the post. Which races, if any, would have a problem with Superhumans?

Silver Crusade

If it’s X-Men like, regular humans.


The whole idea behind the mutant prejudice is the idea that mutants will replace humans. It is basically an analogy for racism in society. That being the case a second subtype does not make sense.


Oli Ironbar wrote:
If it’s X-Men like, regular humans.

I meant other than humans, because the Hatred racial trait has you choose two different subtypes of humanoid or outsider (or one type that is not humanoid or outsider).

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
The whole idea behind the mutant prejudice is the idea that mutants will replace humans. It is basically an analogy for racism in society. That being the case a second subtype does not make sense.

Yeah, I get that. I was just trying to find someway to not screw the evil superhumans out of some of the value of their alternate racial trait.

Maybe I could make it where they only get one subtype of humanoid, but still keep a +2 dodge bonus against humans (so half of Defensive Training, Lesser, and half of Hatred)? I guess I'm now back into homebrew territory, which is unfortunate.

Unless... Maybe I could say a different subtype of humanoid (or outsider) created them, and thus they blame their misfortune on that race, thus hating them too? It actually works with the backstory of mutants from Marvel, as... well I don't remember the full details, so I might get somethings wrong, but I vaguely remember mutants (and inhumans) being the result of someone from ancient times tampering with ancient humans' dna, causing such superpowers to (eventually) emerge. Of course, normal people don't know this in Marvel, but if it was just an ordinary(ish) race doing this here, the Superhumans might know.

My first thought was Drow, but they just have the elf subtype, and regular elves would not earn their hatred, so that doesn't really work. Hmm. Anyways, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Scarab Sages

Reksew_Trebla wrote:
Oli Ironbar wrote:
If it’s X-Men like, regular humans.

I meant other than humans, because the Hatred racial trait has you choose two different subtypes of humanoid or outsider (or one type that is not humanoid or outsider).

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
The whole idea behind the mutant prejudice is the idea that mutants will replace humans. It is basically an analogy for racism in society. That being the case a second subtype does not make sense.

Yeah, I get that. I was just trying to find someway to not screw the evil superhumans out of some of the value of their alternate racial trait.

Maybe I could make it where they only get one subtype of humanoid, but still keep a +2 dodge bonus against humans (so half of Defensive Training, Lesser, and half of Hatred)? I guess I'm now back into homebrew territory, which is unfortunate.

Unless... Maybe I could say a different subtype of humanoid (or outsider) created them, and thus they blame their misfortune on that race, thus hating them too? It actually works with the backstory of mutants from Marvel, as... well I don't remember the full details, so I might get somethings wrong, but I vaguely remember mutants (and inhumans) being the result of someone from ancient times tampering with ancient humans' dna, causing such superpowers to (eventually) emerge. Of course, normal people don't know this in Marvel, but if it was just an ordinary(ish) race doing this here, the Superhumans might know.

My first thought was Drow, but they just have the elf subtype, and regular elves would not earn their hatred, so that doesn't really work. Hmm. Anyways, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Half-Elf seems a possibility or Tieflings who hate them for being able to hide their differences?


Senko wrote:
Reksew_Trebla wrote:
Oli Ironbar wrote:
If it’s X-Men like, regular humans.

I meant other than humans, because the Hatred racial trait has you choose two different subtypes of humanoid or outsider (or one type that is not humanoid or outsider).

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
The whole idea behind the mutant prejudice is the idea that mutants will replace humans. It is basically an analogy for racism in society. That being the case a second subtype does not make sense.

Yeah, I get that. I was just trying to find someway to not screw the evil superhumans out of some of the value of their alternate racial trait.

Maybe I could make it where they only get one subtype of humanoid, but still keep a +2 dodge bonus against humans (so half of Defensive Training, Lesser, and half of Hatred)? I guess I'm now back into homebrew territory, which is unfortunate.

Unless... Maybe I could say a different subtype of humanoid (or outsider) created them, and thus they blame their misfortune on that race, thus hating them too? It actually works with the backstory of mutants from Marvel, as... well I don't remember the full details, so I might get somethings wrong, but I vaguely remember mutants (and inhumans) being the result of someone from ancient times tampering with ancient humans' dna, causing such superpowers to (eventually) emerge. Of course, normal people don't know this in Marvel, but if it was just an ordinary(ish) race doing this here, the Superhumans might know.

My first thought was Drow, but they just have the elf subtype, and regular elves would not earn their hatred, so that doesn't really work. Hmm. Anyways, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Half-Elf seems a possibility or Tieflings who hate them for being able to hide their differences?

I think I'm going with human (of course) and native (as in native outsiders). It could work well. A lot of the native outsider races are part human, yet the majority of them are accepted by society, so that could earn the hate of the evil superhumans.

I think I'll also use the idea of half and half (half Defensive Training, Lesser, half Hatred) to represent neutral (good/evil axis) superhumans.

Anyways, thanks for the help everyone.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / What races, if any, would have a problem with Superhumans? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Advice