Reflected in the Darkside Mirror


Rules Discussion


The Darkside Mirror can absorb creatures reflected in it. Does the target count as being reflected in the mirror only if it can see its own reflection? Does the target count as being reflected if anyone can see the reflection? Does the target's reflection even need to be seen by anyone? Does anyone need to be in a location from which the target's reflection could be seen?

Dark Archive

I don't feel like a creature has to be able to see itself to be affected; be a bit weird if a level 14 trap is entirely overcome by a blindfold.


From the wording, I also don't think they necessarily need to see the reflection to be affected. Darkside Mirror is pretty brutal as traps go though, and has some difficult to deal with requirements to notice--perception proficiencies that not everyone can get and skill profs that could potentially be beyond the capability of a party of its level, so I'd personally be fine with the mirror being thwarted by blindfolds or the like. It also fits the mental image I have of those kinds of mirrors, where the switch happens when you and your evil reflection lock gazes.


Perpdepog wrote:
skill profs that could potentially be beyond the capability of a party of its level

Also casters are useless against extremely magical object/trap. Typical?


I figured the reflection might not need to actually be seen since it's not a visual effect. There does need to be a reflection. But from what perspective? If you're standing at a 45 degree angle from the front of the mirror, there wouldn't be a reflection from where you're standing. You'd only have a reflection that could be seen by someone standing at an opposing 45 degree angle. Is that enough? Does anyone need to be standing in that spot?


Better hope you are a party full of Vampires when you come across this hazard, otherwise it is basically an instant TPK.


Darksol the Painbringer wrote:
Better hope you are a party full of Vampires when you come across this hazard, otherwise it is basically an instant TPK.

It says that creatures who aren't rescued might be captured and killed in the other dimension. It also states that they count as mirror duplicates while there, and mirror duplicates can spend 3 actions in contact with the mirror to return to their original dimension.


But they can't do that until their mirror on the original side is killed, and the hazard spends 3 actions pulling people in at all times while active. Simultaneously, you are dealing with on-level doppelgangers decked out in the same gear as you.

That is 3 saves at a relatively high DC (full plate characters are shafted for sure unless they have Mighty Bulwark, which gives them a slight chance), requiring only one of which to fail, meaning after a streak of bad rolls, you have 3 mirrors and only 1 person to fend for themselves, after which is likely to be sucked in the following round.

You also can't go through until your mirror duplicate is defeated, meaning if all 4 are sucked through, you have to wait until your duplicate is killed to go back. Which may never happen.


The trip to the mirror dimension takes 10 minutes, and it is during those 10 minutes that the PC can only be rescued if the duplicate is dead. The PC manually returning from the mirror dimension with 3 actions doesn't have that restriction.


Darksol the Painbringer wrote:

But they can't do that until their mirror on the original side is killed, and the hazard spends 3 actions pulling people in at all times while active. Simultaneously, you are dealing with on-level doppelgangers decked out in the same gear as you.

That is 3 saves at a relatively high DC (full plate characters are shafted for sure unless they have Mighty Bulwark, which gives them a slight chance), requiring only one of which to fail, meaning after a streak of bad rolls, you have 3 mirrors and only 1 person to fend for themselves, after which is likely to be sucked in the following round.

You also can't go through until your mirror duplicate is defeated, meaning if all 4 are sucked through, you have to wait until your duplicate is killed to go back. Which may never happen.

Small correction: the mirror's routine is only one action. It can't absorb more than one creature each turn and it can't attempt to absorb a creature more than once each turn

Core Rulebook 520, Routine wrote:
The number of actions a hazard can take each round, as well as what they can be used for, depend on the hazard.
Core Rulebook 522, Hazard Format wrote:
Routine: This section describes what a complex hazard does on each of its turns during an encounter; the number in parentheses after the word “Routine” indicates how many actions the hazard can use each turn. Simple hazards don’t have this entry.
GM Core 98, Routine wrote:
The number of actions a hazard can take each round, as well as what they can be used for, depend on the hazard.
GM Core 100, Hazard Format wrote:
Routine: This entry describes what a complex hazard does on each of its turns during an encounter; the number in parentheses after the word "Routine"" indicates how many actions the hazard can use each turn. Simple hazards don't have this entry.

(All emphasis is mine, and I include the GM Core versions of the rules only for completion's sake and to show they have not been changed. Darkside Mirror does not appear to have been reprinted, not even under another name so we'd use its 2e version)

Remember, hazards only have as many actions as they're given in their stat block. This hazard doesn't only use 1 action to absorb a creature. It only has 1 action <- that's "(1 action)" written out in the Core Rulebook, not the "1 action" icon. Hazards don't have the "three actions each turn" rule most creatures have. They have the number of actions their description states they have and no more. Browse a few other complex hazards and you'll see what I mean

This is incredibly frustrating when playing modules because many module authors don't appear to understand this rule and it results in ridiculously OP hazards

Anyway, "um actually" aside over. I would play the initial trigger as "once anyone sees someone's reflection then the reflected creature is absorbed" for dramatic effect but once combat begins anyone in its "field of vision" is fair game because unless they're "averting your gaze" creatures are assumed to be looking in all directions equally

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / Reflected in the Darkside Mirror All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Rules Discussion