Tales from GenCon or GenCan't


Organized Play General Discussion

Scarab Sages 3/5 **** Venture-Lieutenant, Nebraska—Bellevue

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Hopefully everyone had a great time this past weekend. I think we need to share fun stories from the weekend, whether you traveled to GenCon, played online with GenCon Online or played somewhere else, ("GenCan't"). Share something fun from this past weekend.

I GM'd three sessions of PF2 and played in the Starfinder Interactive as part of GenCon Online. I had a great time playing with players from across the US, from UK and from Canada. As a GM:
- I saw a Barbarian swallowed by a giant plant and escape in the nick of time.
- I saw another Barbarian (Gnome) absolutely wreck his fellow party member on the first round of the first fight (thanks Confusion). Every initiative after that people were giving the poor guy grief (in a fun way).
- And my low level players in the interactive came together quickly and were a wrecking crew in most encounters.

As a player, I got to play one of my favorite characters (Pinky, a Contemplative Biohacker). My dice rolls were the best I've seen in a long time as Pinky became the hero of the Battle for the Bullwark. Maybe he's the only one calling himself that, but that counts, right?

What memories did you make last weekend?

3/5 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Colorado—Fort Collins

5 people marked this as a favorite.

I GM'd multiple sessions of SFS 6-06 and the SFS Special at Indy.

My most memorable table was a family of 6 with generics. Two 10ish year- old boys, their father and his two brothers, and their dad/grandpa. A three-generation table!

All were first time Paizo players and used pregens. The three brothers' goal was to introduce the two boys to roleplaying. SFS was the bait, I played the hook, and they planned to reel them in!

It was a great table - lots of banter between brothers and uncles/nephews, support of each other, and a really good time by all. 6-06 was a perfect intro to SFS with a great cast of memorable NPCs, diverse encounters, and ways for PCs to (literally, in one encounter) take center stage shine.

They took pictures of the various encounters and of each other having fun during the session, and all grabbed Organized Play numbers. After the session they debated who the best First Seeker candidate cast their votes.

No memorable single event or encounter, just a really fun and rewarding table to be a part of.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 5/5 **

Very disappointed with PFS. My husband and I stopped by the Sag to talk to a few friends. He is disabled and we needed a place to rest from walking the ICC. We were not blocking or interfering with ongoing games, but we were asked to leave because "we did not have event tickets and therefore had no reason to be in the room." I have never known PFS to restrict access to the room unless you had an event ticket.

Paizo Employee 5/55/5 * Organized Play Coordinator

14 people marked this as a favorite.
Valkyrie Incarnate wrote:
Very disappointed with PFS. My husband and I stopped by the Sag to talk to a few friends. He is disabled and we needed a place to rest from walking the ICC. We were not blocking or interfering with ongoing games, but we were asked to leave because "we did not have event tickets and therefore had no reason to be in the room." I have never known PFS to restrict access to the room unless you had an event ticket.

We do indeed have a policy wherein players who are banned from our program for hateful and inappropriate conduct, such as your husband, are not permitted in our event spaces for the safety of the players around them. If you have any questions about this policy, please feel free to contact me via email so we can keep this thread on-topic!

Horizon Hunters 4/5 5/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, Indiana—Indianapolis

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I volunteered for 8 slots - 7 at the Info Desk and 1 as a GM (I GMed the PFS special at tier 7-8).

PROS:
I got to meet a ton of new people, some interested in PF or SF, and some who were experiencing organized play for the first time. I seated lot of people for Bounties, and even ran one to help out the only Bounty GM we had for one slot.

I got to see a really good college friend I hadn’t seen in 25 years.

I got to reconnect with people I only ever see at Gen Con.

I got to watch two solid and exceptional volunteers get rewarded: VC Bill Tobin getting his Campaign Service Award and Gen Con Lead Organizer Heather Vigil be awarded the Order of the Wayfinder.

I watched Lucas Servideo’s Pathfinder Academy bring in a lot of kids to try out PF for the first time.

Organized Play is about people, and people playing games. I’m super stoked to have been a part of this phenomenal program once again!

Until next year!

5/55/55/55/5 * Venture-Captain, Conventions—Gen Con

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I GM’d a couple of games of Starfinder on top of my other Gen Con duties. I had a woman sit down at my table and half way through the gate she panicked because she lost a shopping bad and had to leave. I told her that if she found her bag and we were still playing that she could come back and join the table. My table went and had we were taking a break and we had just gotten started when the woman came back and only missed the intro to the second task and didn’t miss anything. This was one of her first games of organized play and wasn’t planning to play for credit but my the end she went and got a new player number. The next day I saw her in line with her step son so that they could play together.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/55/55/55/5 ***** Venture-Captain, North Carolina—Central Region

3 people marked this as a favorite.

For this, my 10th consecutive GenCon, I put away my well loved purple shirts for the orange of HQ, and experienced life on the other side. It's easy when you're GMing, trying to focus on the players in front of you and giving them the best game you can, to have the other hard-working volunteers in orange fade into the background, the forgotten gears that keep the clock turning. But this year, things were different. I got to see just how much work goes into making the process as smooth as possible for GMs and players alike, and I have a deeper respect for those that give their time and energy so that others can have a better experience.

And players notice the work put in. More than once a group I'd helped handle a scenario mix-up or generics seating request found me later in the event to thank me. That sense of fulfillment, while different than that of running an excellent table, will burn just as bright in my chest for a long time.

Thank you Paizo, the Organizing Committee, our GMs and my fellow HQ for helping us all have such a good time. To next year!

Horizon Hunters 4/5 5/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, Indiana—Indianapolis

Kyrand wrote:

For this, my 10th consecutive GenCon, I put away my well loved purple shirts for the orange of HQ, and experienced life on the other side. It's easy when you're GMing, trying to focus on the players in front of you and giving them the best game you can, to have the other hard-working volunteers in orange fade into the background, the forgotten gears that keep the clock turning. But this year, things were different. I got to see just how much work goes into making the process as smooth as possible for GMs and players alike, and I have a deeper respect for those that give their time and energy so that others can have a better experience.

And players notice the work put in. More than once a group I'd helped handle a scenario mix-up or generics seating request found me later in the event to thank me. That sense of fulfillment, while different than that of running an excellent table, will burn just as bright in my chest for a long time.

Thank you Paizo, the Organizing Committee, our GMs and my fellow HQ for helping us all have such a good time. To next year!

Welcome to Team Orange! :)

Silver Crusade 4/5 5/5 *

Kyrand wrote:

For this, my 10th consecutive GenCon, I put away my well loved purple shirts for the orange of HQ, and experienced life on the other side. It's easy when you're GMing, trying to focus on the players in front of you and giving them the best game you can, to have the other hard-working volunteers in orange fade into the background, the forgotten gears that keep the clock turning. But this year, things were different. I got to see just how much work goes into making the process as smooth as possible for GMs and players alike, and I have a deeper respect for those that give their time and energy so that others can have a better experience.

And players notice the work put in. More than once a group I'd helped handle a scenario mix-up or generics seating request found me later in the event to thank me. That sense of fulfillment, while different than that of running an excellent table, will burn just as bright in my chest for a long time.

Thank you Paizo, the Organizing Committee, our GMs and my fellow HQ for helping us all have such a good time. To next year!

So glad to have had you on the team this year!

Liberty's Edge 3/5 5/5 **** Venture-Captain, Nebraska—Omaha

Ohrns wrote:

My most memorable table was a family of 6 with generics. Two 10ish year- old boys, their father and his two brothers, and their dad/grandpa. A three-generation table!

Did they all have the same shirt on? I saw a 6 person table that everyone had the same shirt on.

Liberty's Edge 3/5 5/5 **** Venture-Captain, Nebraska—Omaha

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I played all 10 slots. I was able to play many of my high level PFS and SFS characters. My SFS 701, Haan Solo, made it to Seeker Level!! Oh wait, not in Starfinder. :)

All the GMs were great, and the players were outstanding.

I would like to say that I witnessed some people being approached rudely because they had brought food into the room. I understand the policy, as usual bad actors ruins it for everyone else, but the manner that people were approached was rude and "jerkish".

Signage likely would have been a big help but there was none that I saw.

3/5 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Colorado—Fort Collins

Gary Bush wrote:
Ohrns wrote:

My most memorable table was a family of 6 with generics. Two 10ish year- old boys, their father and his two brothers, and their dad/grandpa. A three-generation table!

Did they all have the same shirt on? I saw a 6 person table that everyone had the same shirt on.

Not that I remember. Our table was right next to the HQ stage next to one of the muster points.

Horizon Hunters 4/5 5/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, Indiana—Indianapolis

4 people marked this as a favorite.

By the way,I want to give a huge shout out to Phox (I think that’s his name). That dude did ALL the work - mustering, ran a TON of bounties with little time off in between, AND had to work on fixing RPGCHRONICLES when it suffered an attack.

He was a total rock star!

Liberty's Edge 3/5 5/5 **** Venture-Captain, Nebraska—Omaha

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ohrns wrote:
Gary Bush wrote:
Ohrns wrote:

My most memorable table was a family of 6 with generics. Two 10ish year- old boys, their father and his two brothers, and their dad/grandpa. A three-generation table!

Did they all have the same shirt on? I saw a 6 person table that everyone had the same shirt on.
Not that I remember. Our table was right next to the HQ stage next to one of the muster points.

That is where I noticed a 6 person table with all of them wearing the same shirt. Look like a fun table.

3/5 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Colorado—Fort Collins

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gary Bush wrote:
Ohrns wrote:
Gary Bush wrote:
Ohrns wrote:
My most memorable table was a family of 6 with generics. Two 10ish year- old boys, their father and his two brothers, and their dad/grandpa. A three-generation table!
Did they all have the same shirt on? I saw a 6 person table that everyone had the same shirt on.
Not that I remember. Our table was right next to the HQ stage next to one of the muster points.
That is where I noticed a 6 person table with all of them wearing the same shirt. Look like a fun table.

That must have been us then! Funny what you remember and what you don't. I remember each of their personalities and the pregens they played, but am drawing a blank on faces and clothing. Funny how the mind (sometimes doesn't) work!

Community / Forums / Organized Play / General Discussion / Tales from GenCon or GenCan't All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion