Anti-synergy


Kineticist Class

Sczarni

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Let's name some Anti-synergy things.

I'll start.

If you have elemental Weapon and stone shield, and you're a dual gate, I cannot have a stone shield active with a fire weapon active... since I can only have one element gathered at a time. This breaks part of the feel for the class for me.

Verdant Wheel

2 people marked this as a favorite.

A strength-focus is suggested by the Earth element, but it also suggests an up-close style of play unsupported by the armour options if you don't still pump Dex. This means that your character likely has to end up with poor-to-average Mental scores unless you dump your Class DC and HP.

I find the chance for a PC to have access to the Brutal trait so rad that I'm definitely going to be playing a Geokineticist and hurling rocks around like Pohatu, but I'd like to be at least a little durable when doing so.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nitro~Nina wrote:

A strength-focus is suggested by the Earth element, but it also suggests an up-close style of play unsupported by the armour options if you don't still pump Dex. This means that your character likely has to end up with poor-to-average Mental scores unless you dump your Class DC and HP.

I find the chance for a PC to have access to the Brutal trait so rad that I'm definitely going to be playing a Geokineticist and hurling rocks around like Pohatu, but I'd like to be at least a little durable when doing so.

While I really want the class to get medium armor built in, characters can after a few levels get both medium and heavy armor. Needing to wait levels for AC is not great for survival, but Str based characters without high dex don't sacrifice ranged attacks, so you can have a switch hitter with "full" accuracy in both without needing to pump both stats.

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thaago wrote:
Nitro~Nina wrote:

A strength-focus is suggested by the Earth element, but it also suggests an up-close style of play unsupported by the armour options if you don't still pump Dex. This means that your character likely has to end up with poor-to-average Mental scores unless you dump your Class DC and HP.

I find the chance for a PC to have access to the Brutal trait so rad that I'm definitely going to be playing a Geokineticist and hurling rocks around like Pohatu, but I'd like to be at least a little durable when doing so.

While I really want the class to get medium armor built in, characters can after a few levels get both medium and heavy armor. Needing to wait levels for AC is not great for survival, but Str based characters without high dex don't sacrifice ranged attacks, so you can have a switch hitter with "full" accuracy in both without needing to pump both stats.

That's a very good point, though it seems weird for a clearly signposted built-in synergy to require an out-of-class feat.

Sczarni

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Due to action tax, raise a shield and overflow can't be used in the same turn as literally as literally any overflow ability. It seems a bit anti synergistic to me


Verzen wrote:
Due to action tax, raise a shield and overflow can't be used in the same turn as literally as literally any overflow ability. It seems a bit anti synergistic to me

Do you mean earth's stone shield or a physical shield? Because kineticists could just carry a shield and go overflow + raise shield, they just wouldn't have an element gathered (which isn't great).

Sczarni

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Thaago wrote:
Verzen wrote:
Due to action tax, raise a shield and overflow can't be used in the same turn as literally as literally any overflow ability. It seems a bit anti synergistic to me
Do you mean earth's stone shield or a physical shield? Because kineticists could just carry a shield and go overflow + raise shield, they just wouldn't have an element gathered (which isn't great).

Earths stone shield.

Sczarni

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Thaago wrote:
Verzen wrote:
Due to action tax, raise a shield and overflow can't be used in the same turn as literally as literally any overflow ability. It seems a bit anti synergistic to me
Do you mean earth's stone shield or a physical shield? Because kineticists could just carry a shield and go overflow + raise shield, they just wouldn't have an element gathered (which isn't great).

For example - I can't raise a shield and use say... THE SHATTERED MOUNTAIN WEEPS in one turn.

And if I do raise a shield and use HURTLING ROCKFALL, I would lose my raise a shield benefit.


If you're going into melee where you want the shield raised, you'll be making Strikes or Blasts, not area effects using overflow. If you have the space for an overflow ability, you are less likely to need the extra AC.

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Rage of Elements Playtest / Kineticist Class / Anti-synergy All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.