What Adventure Path's a better played in a specific order?


Pathfinder Adventure Path General Discussion


Hey all

I'm looking to GM some APs, but I'm not quite ready to hop on 2e's status quo just yet, as I'd like to run a lot of the 1e APs, so I need a World State where they haven't happened yet.

I basically wondering what APs have direct connections, big or small, that makes the best played in that order. For example, you've got the Runelord Trilogy, but Shattered Star also acknowledges Crimson Thrown and Second Darkness from what I understand. And Age of Ashes covers the fallout of Hell's Rebel's, which is adjacent to Hell's Vengeance which at the very least visits a post-Council of Thieves Westcrown.

Are there any others like this? Same for modules, now that I think about it, like how Greypelt appears in Hollow's Last Hope before he turns up in (I think) Carrion Crown.

Thanks


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would also mention Carrion Crown and Tyrant's Grasp, given Carrion Crown involves a plot to free Tar-Baphon, and in Tyrant's Grasp, Tar-Baphon frees himself.

Jade Reagent also features several characters from Sandpoint who are initially introduced in Rise of the Runelords, although this can be fixed easily enough by just using alternate NPCs if necessary.


Inspectre wrote:
Jade Reagent also features several characters from Sandpoint who are initially introduced in Rise of the Runelords, although this can be fixed easily enough by just using alternate NPCs if necessary.

To clarify this, if you run Rise of the Runelords second, you'll need to replace these NPCs (a minor job only) since they'll have left to go drive to Minkai in the Jade Regent path. You can run Jade Regent first without needing RotR to introduce these NPCs, since Jade Regent covers who they are perfectly adequately.

Broadly, the APs are assumed to "happened" and been successfully resolved in the order that they were published - it just often doesn't matter. But I think you've hit most of the major examples already.


Reverse wrote:
Inspectre wrote:
Jade Reagent also features several characters from Sandpoint who are initially introduced in Rise of the Runelords, although this can be fixed easily enough by just using alternate NPCs if necessary.

To clarify this, if you run Rise of the Runelords second, you'll need to replace these NPCs (a minor job only) since they'll have left to go drive to Minkai in the Jade Regent path. You can run Jade Regent first without needing RotR to introduce these NPCs, since Jade Regent covers who they are perfectly adequately.

Broadly, the APs are assumed to "happened" and been successfully resolved in the order that they were published - it just often doesn't matter. But I think you've hit most of the major examples already.

Yeah, I mostly just want to know what connections are there, so I know what I'm getting into. Partly to minimize playing them in an awkward order, but also so I know if I need to make changes, like if my player kill Greypelt in Hollow's Last Hope, I'd like that to have an impact on Carrion Crown, even if minor.

Liberty's Edge

IIRC JJ stated recently that PF2 APs and adventures do happen in the setting when they are published.

For example, Galt is now post Night of the Gray Death.

And PCs are supposed to have won in all of them.

Latter adventures and APs then do not go back to the same places for years so that most people who played the first ones do not feel too upset about the official take on the events they played.


Inspectre wrote:

I would also mention Carrion Crown and Tyrant's Grasp, given Carrion Crown involves a plot to free Tar-Baphon, and in Tyrant's Grasp, Tar-Baphon frees himself.

Jade Reagent also features several characters from Sandpoint who are initially introduced in Rise of the Runelords, although this can be fixed easily enough by just using alternate NPCs if necessary.

As a note, Carrion Crown and Tyrant's Grasp aren't as connected as they may at first appear. I played in and read through Carrion Crown, and am GMing and almost finished with Tyrant's Grasp. Outside of the antagonizing organization being the same for parts of both adventures, there isn't any real connection between the two on the narrative end.

They take place in different countries, and Carrion Crown has a much more "creature feature" or "monster of the week" feel than Tyrant's Grasp does, which IIRC was by design, since originally Carrion Crown was intended to be the horror AP.


The Raven Black wrote:

IIRC JJ stated recently that PF2 APs and adventures do happen in the setting when they are published.

For example, Galt is now post Night of the Gray Death.

And PCs are supposed to have won in all of them.

Latter adventures and APs then do not go back to the same places for years so that most people who played the first ones do not feel too upset about the official take on the events they played.

I know officially that that's the case, but I'm trying to find out what APs, and modules have direct references to past adventures, so I know how free I am in ignoring the official timeline and creating my own with my friends.

Side note: I am curious how the "it takes place when it released" thing works with Kingmaker and Strength of Thousands though, as those APs make more sense happening over the course of years. SoT has a sidebar explicitly suggesting as much.


Most of them have already been listed here, but my girlfriend and I made sure to play through Wrath of the Righteous before playing Return of the Runelords because

Spoiler:
Alderpash shows up and has a variable ending. So we didn't want to retcon him out of Return should he still be active by then
But that was our personal preference rather than any actual canon connection.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, PF Special Edition, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Here are the one's I've dealt with:

Spoiler:
1. Rise of the Runelords
2. Curse of the Crimson Throne — the events are initiated in part in Book 2 of Rise.
3. Shattered Star — a direct successor to Rise, and the quests in this are a response to the events there.
4. Pathfinder Society season 4 scenarios. Several involve a plot to bring back a Runelord, who will be presumed dead in Return.
5. Return of the Runelords.
6. Tyrant's Grasp — part of Return involves the cult that eventually unseals the Whispering Tyrant; it's tangential to Return but it happens there (off-screen).


The_Mothman wrote:
Most of them have already been listed here, but my girlfriend and I made sure to play through Wrath of the Righteous before playing Return of the Runelords because ** spoiler omitted ** But that was our personal preference rather than any actual canon connection.

Oh, nice. It's little details like this that I'm looking for. Thanks. Does he play a part in Return by default, or was that something you wanted to base on previous decisions?

TomParker wrote:

Here are the one's I've dealt with:

** spoiler omitted **

Ah, I see. I didn't know about that little detail in Return, so that's good to know, thanks.


Black Jimmy wrote:
Oh, nice. It's little details like this that I'm looking for. Thanks. Does he play a part in Return by default, or was that something you wanted to base on previous decisions?

By default no, we just wanted to base it on previous decisions. I thought it would be fun to

Spoiler:
have as many Runelords as possible, especially since Alderpash has a chance at redemption in Wrath. An additional "good" Runelord adds some really nice roleplaying opportunities and someone for Sorshen to play off of.

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Perpdepog wrote:
Inspectre wrote:

I would also mention Carrion Crown and Tyrant's Grasp, given Carrion Crown involves a plot to free Tar-Baphon, and in Tyrant's Grasp, Tar-Baphon frees himself.

Jade Reagent also features several characters from Sandpoint who are initially introduced in Rise of the Runelords, although this can be fixed easily enough by just using alternate NPCs if necessary.

As a note, Carrion Crown and Tyrant's Grasp aren't as connected as they may at first appear. I played in and read through Carrion Crown, and am GMing and almost finished with Tyrant's Grasp. Outside of the antagonizing organization being the same for parts of both adventures, there isn't any real connection between the two on the narrative end.

They take place in different countries, and Carrion Crown has a much more "creature feature" or "monster of the week" feel than Tyrant's Grasp does, which IIRC was by design, since originally Carrion Crown was intended to be the horror AP.

You would probably want to replace Book 6 of Carrion Crown with a different adventure for those high level characters, but book 6 was the weakest part of the AP anyway.

Specifically the first 5 books are great, they're as you say a creature of the week sort of thing, but the framing is that you're pursuing some mysterious malefactor that you know nothing about. Turns out, that guy's goal is to free the Whispering Tyrant. If you change the identity of the BBEG or their goals and work some of this into the first 5 books, it would work just as well post Tyrant's Grasp.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

They're not wrong. Carrion Crown works really well as six mini-adventures rather than one big one. TG is kind of the opposite, even to a slightly problematic degree. Not exactly on topic, but,

Spoiler:
there is an issue in TG with characters dying, but the AP requiring the party stay relatively static because the thing that helps you defeat the Whispering Tyrant is tied to the specific characters. It's possible to wiggle in new PCs as the story goes on, but difficult.

Acquisitives

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Perpdepog wrote:
They're not wrong. Carrion Crown works really well as six mini-adventures rather than one big one. TG is kind of the opposite, even to a slightly problematic degree. Not exactly on topic, but, ** spoiler omitted **

running Tg and have had to replace a few PCs...

Spoiler:
lost 2 PCs at the end of book 2, replaced 1 w/ another villager who was just shunted to another part of the boneyard, replaced the other with an outsider who didn't have the obol... she got hit during the events of book 3 and has one now...

lost another PC at the start of Book 4, and as the replacing PC coming in was a Knight, I had him leading a scouting expedition to Gallowspire, so he got his obol there

going forward? yeesh, might be a challenge

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / General Discussion / What Adventure Path's a better played in a specific order? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion