Farewell, Ron Lundeen


Paizo General Discussion


13 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber

Not sure if a thread has been made about this, but I just wanted to thank Ron for all he’s done for Pathfinder. He announced that Blood Lords is the last adventure path on which he’s the lead developer. The adventure paths have always been the main draw to Pathfinder for me, and he’s been at the forefront of so many great ones. I don’t know what Paizo is doing to keep losing such great talent, but they need to stop.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

They won’t be able to stop losing employees just like the rest of the USA right now. The grass is greener on the other side across all industries. I know it sucks for us as gamers to see these people leave Paizo but they are leaving for what I would imagine is a very valid and supportable reason. Money.

Wayfinders Contributor

12 people marked this as a favorite.

Ron is not just a loss for Pathfinder but for Starfinder as well. Just think about how many wonderful adventures that he has written -- he's amazing. I will also miss his blog on Run Amok games and his podcasts on Know Direction.

Ron, your blog has been a master class for me in adventure design. You have been my developer, mentor and friend. I know you'll still be my friend but I will miss sharing Table of Contents with you and working on Freelance projects together. My Horizons of the Vast volume was 300% better because you helped me get in my groove, and I enjoyed collaborating with you!

For those wondering about Ron's departure, he talked about it with John Godek on their joint podcast, Digital Divination.

He won't be able to publicly say what he'd doing until he officially starts work, but he did sound excited about moving on to new ventures!

Hmm


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Seconding that Ron's AP's were some of the best I've ever run. Against the Aeon Throne "Reach of Empire" and Frozen Flame's "Broken Tusk Moon" are some of my favorites and both of them left a lasting mark on my wife's characters and myself, fueling part of my fascination with both the Realm of the Mammoth Lords & the Azlanti Star Empire.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Ron did amazing work, it’s a huge bummer to lose him.

Paizo’s gonna run out of familiar faces pretty soon if this keeps up.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

12 people marked this as a favorite.

We will miss Ron and wish him the very best in his new endeavors.

I believe, with Paizo’s strong relationship with freelance authors, the company is better positioned than most to identify and promote new talent. I trust in that.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:
I believe, with Paizo’s strong relationship with freelance authors, the company is better positioned than most to identify and promote new talent. I trust in that.

This is a bummer, but I agree with Aaron. Ron moving on will leave big shoes to fill, but Paizo hasn't missed a beat when filling big shoes in the past.

Best of luck Ron!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wishing him nothing but the best.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Good luck Ron. You will be missed.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

Good luck Ron, you've done a ton of amazing work. Your stewardship over APs was fantastic.

I really hope Jim manages to turn the boat around, because Paizo is bleeding fantastic employees.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

15 people marked this as a favorite.

I don’t want to derail the conversation away from just thanking Ron for everything he’s done, but I think that the a certain employer is ramping up 5.5 and creating a larger than normal number of opportunities there. This to shall pass. That said, I know everyone here is working on creating the best company culture we can. And that is good.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ooh. 5.5.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Good luck Ron!
I loved your entries in Ironfang Invasion and Ruins of Azlant the most. Looking forward to seeing what you do elsewhere.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:

I believe, with Paizo’s strong relationship with freelance authors, the company is better positioned than most to identify and promote new talent. I trust in that.

M-O-O-N! That spells Hilary Moon Murphy!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Leon Aquilla wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:

I believe, with Paizo’s strong relationship with freelance authors, the company is better positioned than most to identify and promote new talent. I trust in that.

M-O-O-N! That spells Hilary Moon Murphy!

I sincerely apologize, but I just listened to a Know Direction podcast from April wherein Ron said Paizo wasn't going to produce any more adventures for PF2 and was going to release 5th edition versions of them instead. But i can't find anywhere else that this is the case.

I am thoroughly confused.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

That's categorically not the case. They've announced two fifth edition conversions of existing PF products, while announcing several more brand new PF books.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

This podcast?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

WOTC makes its new staff sign non-competes.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

3 people marked this as a favorite.
no good scallywag wrote:
Leon Aquilla wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:

I believe, with Paizo’s strong relationship with freelance authors, the company is better positioned than most to identify and promote new talent. I trust in that.

M-O-O-N! That spells Hilary Moon Murphy!

I sincerely apologize, but I just listened to a Know Direction podcast from April wherein Ron said Paizo wasn't going to produce any more adventures for PF2 and was going to release 5th edition versions of them instead. But i can't find anywhere else that this is the case.

I am thoroughly confused.

Perhaps you misheard him? He will no longer be creating any more Pathfinder Second Edition Adventures and Adventure Paths for Paizo, as a freelancer, or via his own publishing company.

Paizo will produce Pathfinder Second Edition Adventures and Adventure Paths for the foreseeable future. The two 5e conversions announced are the Kingmaker Adventure Path Bestiary (September for backers, October for retail) and the Abomination Vaults Adventure Path Compilation (November).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aaron Shanks wrote:
no good scallywag wrote:
Leon Aquilla wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:

I believe, with Paizo’s strong relationship with freelance authors, the company is better positioned than most to identify and promote new talent. I trust in that.

M-O-O-N! That spells Hilary Moon Murphy!

I sincerely apologize, but I just listened to a Know Direction podcast from April wherein Ron said Paizo wasn't going to produce any more adventures for PF2 and was going to release 5th edition versions of them instead. But i can't find anywhere else that this is the case.

I am thoroughly confused.

Perhaps you misheard him? He will no longer be creating any more Pathfinder Second Edition Adventures and Adventure Paths for Paizo, as a freelancer, or via his own publishing company.

Paizo will produce Pathfinder Second Edition Adventures and Adventure Paths for the foreseeable future. The two 5e conversions announced are the Kingmaker Adventure Path Bestiary (September for backers, October for retail) and the Abomination Vaults Adventure Path Compilation (November).

It's been revealed to me that he did say this but it was an April fools joke, and my buddy cut the clip off. I have to say, i nearly panicked! I am glad to see the conversions as long as PF2 rules are still created and living! It's a far superior system to 5e. And the world of golarion is of course second to none.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Aaron Shanks wrote:
I don’t want to derail the conversation away from just thanking Ron for everything he’s done, but I think that the a certain employer is ramping up 5.5 and creating a larger than normal number of opportunities there. This to shall pass. That said, I know everyone here is working on creating the best company culture we can. And that is good.

That employer is also known for drastically downsizing after new editions have been published, so it may well be a welcome opportunity to welcome back old friends, yes?

Community / Forums / Paizo / General Discussion / Farewell, Ron Lundeen All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion
Customer Service