Treasure Vault Hype and Guessing!


Pathfinder Second Edition General Discussion

1 to 50 of 241 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Oh yeah, my fanfic has original item before this is out!


I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?


In my fanfic...

Spoiler: Character detail:
One character is Dual Investigator and Investigator with Scrounger Archetype.

I think Scrounger needs more feat. Maybe Treasure Vault's additional rule solves it?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

For me it's the crafting variant that could easily give every single intelligence class a shot in the arm


Also my fanfic has...

Camera that can cast Read aura to shooted item in picture. Cartridge adjusts level of Read
Aura.

Cube that works as Bag of Holding but it ejects item automatically when inside is reaching to its limit.


8 people marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

For me, looking through stuff to spend my money on, it can be hard to find interesting stuff. It's been mitigated a bit, but I'd love a large book that really takes some time and pagespace to round out the options.

More tattoos to round that subsystem out? Great! More alchemical stuff for Alchemist and Investigator? Cool! A bunch of magical items? Heck yeah- I'd like to have a little more choice in what effect comes along with my skill bonuses, and some alternatives to "I guess I'll get some better mobility shoes" at mid levels.

I'm also looking forward to a book that has a lot of common items, rather than uncommon region- or lore-specific stuff.


14 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

Michael Sayre said he went through a LOT of the forum posts in order to shore up a lot of the "missing pieces" of several options. Missing ancestry weapons, 1st level magic tattoos, non-metal armor for Druids, entirely new kinds of armor and shields... it's supposed to address it all.

So while it might be thematically as interesting as Secrets of Magic/Guns & Gears/Dark Archive, it'll help allow many more character concepts to be realized without issue.

Plus, even MORE new kinds of items, entire new categories even. So even more toys for your future characters to use!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

For me it's that equipment can get a bit same-y across characters as the amount of options at any given level is not always that many so having a big book like this can really make any individual character flourish in their unique way.

Having a bunch of more specific magic weapons with unique abilities can really go a long way to increase the coolness factor of a character.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Without too many specific things said about what's in the book, I'm lukewarm. Some specific combinations of weapon traits, weapon groups, number of hands to wield, etc could open up some builds. More alchemical items could be a great thing for alchemists/investigators but it really depends on what we get.

I've made some requests on the forums but they're sort of big asks, like weapon runes as tattoos, but it would blow the game wide open for me personally if that were in the book. So yeah, just a wait and see type of deal.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm personally hoping for some archetypes that focus in on using certain kinds of items. A wand-focused archetype would be amazing.

There is also just the joy of getting and finding new stuff. I also get inspired by item descriptions to make characters, and they can also serve as adventure seeds for GMs. This is especially true of artifacts but not always.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I really hope more attention is paid to the overall budgeting of the "newer" items this time around, instead of the options just providing more of the same (or worse) junk.

For context: A lot of the Uncommon/Advanced weapons that came out in new books were strictly worse than most Common/Martial weapons. Now, Common/Uncommon isn't (usually) an indication of an increased power level, but Advanced should definitely be more powerful than Martial options, and actually warrant the feat costs for it sometimes, not unlike the Flickmace that floats that line pretty well (although it being tied to the Gnomish ancestry makes it more cheesy than what it is). It would be nice to have some visibly clear differences demonstrating why such weapons should be Advanced compared to a Martial weapon, and the options being sweetly balanced behind the proficiency gating, instead of having to crunch the numbers and realize the option is just strictly worse and isn't worth investing feats towards under any circumstance.

Armor and Shields definitely need more expansion and rebalancing (especially heavy armor for Druids; would be nice for a CRB errata to let Druids wear any proficiency of armor, but have the same restrictions as before, so Druids can wear that sweet, sweet Stoneplate or Dragonhide Full Plate), and I hope that they implement a lot of the more "natural" materials for these items, like the aforementioned Stoneplate, some sort of Bonemail, a Leaf Armor maybe, etc. Bonus points for a "Haz-Mat Suit", a Medium (or Light) Armor that gives a +3 bonus in place of your Constitution for Saves versus Disease and Poison, but I would understand if not for obvious reasons.

The Tattoos I don't care for that much, since it's pretty niche as-is, but it would be nice to actually have low level options for the Tattoo Artist feat to work with when picking it up and leveling with it, instead of it being dead for the majority of the game. After all, if Tattoo Artist actually has some interesting options, people would be more inclined to take the feat(s) for it.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Perpdepog wrote:

I'm personally hoping for some archetypes that focus in on using certain kinds of items. A wand-focused archetype would be amazing.

There is also just the joy of getting and finding new stuff. I also get inspired by item descriptions to make characters, and they can also serve as adventure seeds for GMs. This is especially true of artifacts but not always.

Equipment-specific Archetypes would make sense, in the same vein as Talisman Dabblers, Trapsmiths, etc. Wands are just begging to get an archetype about them at some point, and this could be a good book to do it in. Maybe the basic dedication (we'll dub it Wand Focuser) lets you substitute a spell slot of equal or higher level to focus the magical power into the wand to "stabilize" one that's already Overcharged, so that you can recast it again without making a check or risking breaking it, with feats expanding upon what Wands can do for you, or reducing the risks of Overcharging the Wands, etc.


we know one confirmed artifact the whisperer of souls! a sentient glaive that can absorb souls once it's absorbed 100 important souls it becomes a God! (this is the kind of thing I love)


belgrath9344 wrote:
we know one confirmed artifact the whisperer of souls! a sentient glaive that can absorb souls once it's absorbed 100 important souls it becomes a God! (this is the kind of thing I love)

Character idea: Magus that fakes having this artifact.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
QuidEst wrote:
belgrath9344 wrote:
we know one confirmed artifact the whisperer of souls! a sentient glaive that can absorb souls once it's absorbed 100 important souls it becomes a God! (this is the kind of thing I love)
Character idea: Magus that fakes having this artifact.

Followup idea: Magus with a sentient magic item that fakes being this artifact.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Grand Bazaar was kind of gimmicky and a disappointment to me, so I'm looking forward to this, sounds like it will have more utility like "Ultimate Equipment".


Darksol the Painbringer wrote:
Perpdepog wrote:

I'm personally hoping for some archetypes that focus in on using certain kinds of items. A wand-focused archetype would be amazing.

There is also just the joy of getting and finding new stuff. I also get inspired by item descriptions to make characters, and they can also serve as adventure seeds for GMs. This is especially true of artifacts but not always.

Equipment-specific Archetypes would make sense, in the same vein as Talisman Dabblers, Trapsmiths, etc. Wands are just begging to get an archetype about them at some point, and this could be a good book to do it in. Maybe the basic dedication (we'll dub it Wand Focuser) lets you substitute a spell slot of equal or higher level to focus the magical power into the wand to "stabilize" one that's already Overcharged, so that you can recast it again without making a check or risking breaking it, with feats expanding upon what Wands can do for you, or reducing the risks of Overcharging the Wands, etc.

I've been calling it the Wandslinger in my head. I figure the dedication feat would be more like granting you Trick Magic Item and granting a circumstance bonus for tricking or using wands, with later feats along the one you mentioned. Others for lowering the risk of an overcharge breaking the wand, Quick Draw, but only for wands, things like that.

I've got no idea why I like wands in this edition so much--I never gave them much of a thought in any other game--but I'd really love it if something like this wound up in the book.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

They should bring on Numerian tech. Give me some lasers and chainsaws.

Also bring on some giant weapons so we can go full Dark Souls. I would want this to include great bows, too.


If an APG2 isn't going to be a thing due to design philosophy, this book seems like a good place to add feats for the 'item focused classes'. So feats for the inventor, alcemist, gunslinger and maybe investigator.

New crafting feats that allowed a crafter to add power/traits/features to gear would be awesome as well.

I think the book can be awesome granted they actually add new base items worth using.
If previous combination weapons and guns are the gold standard going forward, then it's a eh for me


Albatoonoe wrote:
They should bring on Numerian tech. Give me some lasers and chainsaws.

They would lead with that if it was here, I feel like. Maybe 2023 is the Broken Lands' year to shine?

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

If I heard correctly the kobold on the cover is the guide/narrator for the book apparently? If so my attention is garnered.

If it’s anything like Grand Bazaar and not Ultimate Equipment I’ll be delighted.

Wayfinders

2 people marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:
Albatoonoe wrote:
They should bring on Numerian tech. Give me some lasers and chainsaws.
They would lead with that if it was here, I feel like. Maybe 2023 is the Broken Lands' year to shine?

We know there's flamethrowers at least, though that need not be Numerian in nature.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

A "big book with items/equipment/weapons" is pretty much a no brainer. Well, it is if you're playing the game.


keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

Because it applies across the board. Dosent matter if you're running a homebrew setting or a published adventure/setting - more options is more options.

And it can (not guaranteed) shore up some weaker classes and builds. Stronger crossbows and/or guns is a indirect buff to gunslingers and rangers (and to a lesser degree all martials) while alchemical items is pretty sweet for the alchemist and investigator.

Besides that it's just preference: through my lurking I've noticed you seem very into the golarion setting. So anything that expands upon that, I imagine would be hyped for you.
For me that's a non buy, not even remotely interesting. Different strokes and all that

Radiant Oath

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I'm excited for the possibilities of new weapons returning from 1e! We already know old favorites like the falcata and earthbreaker are making their returns, and that gives me hope for other weapons that didn't get the 2e treatment yet! Shotels! Klars! Bec de corbins! Plansons! Rhomphaias! Estocs! Totem spears! SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!!

Silver Crusade

“Because it applies across the board”

Not if said board is “doesn’t play the game but likes the lore” :3

But yeah more stuff is always fun. Also Kobold narrator.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:

“Because it applies across the board”

Not if said board is “doesn’t play the game but likes the lore” :3

But yeah more stuff is always fun. Also Kobold narrator.

Fair point. But that's a pretty niche part of the community to cater to. Being that it's a game system and all :)


keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

Didn’t you list somewhere else that you wanted more options for alchemy and alchemists ? Could have been someone else

Radiant Oath

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Rysky wrote:
Also Kobold narrator.

*GASP!* THAT MAKES IT EVEN BETTER!


Rysky wrote:

“Because it applies across the board”

Not if said board is “doesn’t play the game but likes the lore” :3

But yeah more stuff is always fun. Also Kobold narrator.

What about all the Golarion-centric artifacts and whatnots? That's half the reason I like big equipment books; all the setting spicific artifacts with lore behind them.

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
I'm excited for the possibilities of new weapons returning from 1e! We already know old favorites like the falcata and earthbreaker are making their returns, and that gives me hope for other weapons that didn't get the 2e treatment yet! Shotels! Klars! Bec de corbins! Plansons! Rhomphaias! Estocs! Totem spears! SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!!

Dare I hope that dire flails may be making it in?

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

A fishing minigame subsystem with a variety of low - mid - high-level fishing poles, bait, magical lures, and a section dedicated to different kinds of sea life that can be used/cooked/eaten raw to provide nutritional and mechanical benefits to the players.


Rysky wrote:
keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

If I heard correctly the kobold on the cover is the guide/narrator for the book apparently? If so my attention is garnered.

If it’s anything like Grand Bazaar and not Ultimate Equipment I’ll be delighted.

Does Paizo actually release audiobooks for their rules, thereby making it more immersive to have an actual kobold-sounding character narrating the rulebook?


14 people marked this as a favorite.

My big hope is that the expanded crafting rules have a fix for: "this item is super cool and really fits my character concept, but, it has a fixed DC and will be obsolete in two levels," problem.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Spamotron wrote:
My big hope is that the expanded crafting rules have a fix for: "this item is super cool and really fits my character concept, but, it has a fixed DC and will be obsolete in two levels," problem.

Even an optional rule for this would be nice. Maybe it will be the next Free Archetype.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Darksol the Painbringer wrote:
Spamotron wrote:
My big hope is that the expanded crafting rules have a fix for: "this item is super cool and really fits my character concept, but, it has a fixed DC and will be obsolete in two levels," problem.
Even an optional rule for this would be nice. Maybe it will be the next Free Archetype.

Scaling dc magic items plus guidelines on how to scale gold and loot drops in that new paradigm would be a dream come true for me


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I hoping for more content like beastguns and beast gunner archetype. I love the fantasy of a character that specializes in making maximum use out of a class of objects.

Maybe weapons made out of some type of plane touched ore, and a group dedicated to perfecting making and wielding them.

Liberty's Edge

keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

I mostly agree with you, even if I did like all the things about new items and treasures quite some time ago.

I think that, for me, such a book will merely update the lists of Must have items, and likely give new fodder for That item is boring / OP threads.

Unless we have new rules for characters that make delving in items wondrous and magical again.

Now, I have great respect for Mr Sayre and would be very happy to be completely wrong thanks to his works.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
keftiu wrote:
I’ll admit, this is near the bottom of the list for books I’d want. Can anyone help me understand the hype?

My biggest thing is character variance. Whenever I concept characters, I always try to give them items and equipment unique to them, especially weapons. It becomes part of their identity. So the opportunity to expand on that with new ideas or bring over existing ideas I big for me. Especially since I tend to avoid magic items in favor of more mundane equipment, at least at first.

Likewise, as some have pointed out, a book of equipment will, hopefully, fill in many of those problematic gaps that some people may run into. More alchemy items allows the Alchemist to be more well rounded. Non-metal armor offers means for Druids to gain better protection out the gate.

Then there is just the opportunity to add more interesting rules elements. More interesting traits. New types of item categories. And, potentially new system. I for one am hoping to see more Customizations and Adjustments added here to give even more variance to things. Still a lot of Weapon and Armor Modifcations from 1e I'd like to see return. I also really love the neat auxiliary type adventuring gear like the Dueling Cape, Armored Skirt, Parrying Scabbard and the like that card really give more identity or uniqueness to a character. Hoping to see more items like that here as well.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:


I think that, for me, such a book will merely update the lists of Must have items

I find this list pretty small (which is a good thing) but even the ok items are quite uncommon. I very often end up without much items to buy on my characters. I'd love to see a change, but that would ask for a serious revision of how items are built (rules change like scaling DCs would be needed, in my opinion).

Radiant Oath

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I do the same thing. In fact, one of my most common methods of character design is to take inspiration from units in strategy games like Age of Empires or Total War, looking at how they're kitted out and then making a character with that kind of gear or to at least build up to that kind of gear. It doesn't ALWAYS fit into the game rules perfectly (I've wanted to play a character based on the Genoese crossbowmen for YEARS, but there isn't really a way you can use a tower shield for cover while you operate a crossbow with two hands, you'd have to use the hand crossbow which would look kinda silly, and most of them wore heavier armor, which a primarily ranged character will avoid because of max DEX bonus anyway), but I enjoy it, especially as these games have expanded to depict non-European cultures and show how cool they can be too!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:
I think that, for me, such a book will merely update the lists of Must have items, and likely give new fodder for That item is boring / OP threads.

In fairness, and I recognize this is a pretty cynical take, we're going to get those threads regardless of what gets published. Hell, we'll get those threads even if nothing gets published, just with the same items being discussed rather than new or different ones.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
*quote omitted*

Boltslinger w/ Crossbow (or Heavy Crossbow) and a Portable Weapon Mount (Tripod, Shielded) would probably be the closest approximation to this atm, me thinks.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if the martial crossbows we get may have some with shields attached or something.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm hoping we see the return of some of the sillier firearms from 1E, as well, like the buckler gun. Honestly that'd be pretty easy to make now by slapping the Parry trait on a pistol.

Radiant Oath

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Ly'ualdre wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
*quote omitted*

Boltslinger w/ Crossbow (or Heavy Crossbow) and a Portable Weapon Mount (Tripod, Shielded) would probably be the closest approximation to this atm, me thinks.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if the martial crossbows we get may have some with shields attached or something.

That'd be quite nice. And yeah, what you're suggesting would probably be the closest. Besides, IRL Genoese crossbowmen had assistants who held their pavise up for them and stuff, so it was never going to be a perfect 1:1 translation.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Hearing that we are getting more Accessibility items has me really excited.

Also the return of variant rules for epic questing and rituals for creating magic items has me excited


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm excited about the companion items/ eidelon items. I don't think barding is getting a huge shift to make strength based animal companions goat but anything to add a little more juice (like temp hp on barding that replenishes with a repair activity to help balance the scales) will be appreciated.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I can't wait to see what Ancestry Weapons we get here. It would be interesting so see some new ones; but if I'm being honest, I just want the Orc Double Axe and Skull Ram back. Lol.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Still holding onto hope there's some sort of option to get weapon runes to become part of your character instead of an object your character holds. I doubt weapons as tattoo runes will be a thing (multiple people asked about it but it got no response, guessing it's a no) and even the pseudo gloomblade archetype needs weapon runes on an item of some kind.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I'm excited for it for mostly mechanical reasons-- I'd love some adjustments and expanded item support for the Alchemist, and at least one or two of my players are hoping we can use the variants to make crafting a little better. I'm also excited to look through the items themselves to get more ideas for character aesthetic and build ideas.

I think this was actually needed, and it absolutely is a book that serves the needs of the player-base based off their experiences playing the game.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The-Magic-Sword wrote:

I'm excited for it for mostly mechanical reasons-- I'd love some adjustments and expanded item support for the Alchemist, and at least one or two of my players are hoping we can use the variants to make crafting a little better. I'm also excited to look through the items themselves to get more ideas for character aesthetic and build ideas.

I think this was actually needed, and it absolutely is a book that serves the needs of the player-base based off their experiences playing the game.

Definitely. As far as Lost Omens books go, Grand Bazaar was good for item inclusions. However, a dedicated rulebook for items and crafting to fill out that portion of the system is greatly appreciated.

1 to 50 of 241 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / General Discussion / Treasure Vault Hype and Guessing! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.