Becoming a venture agent


Pathfinder Society

Sovereign Court **

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, PF Special Edition Subscriber

I'm just curious on how long it generally takes to become a venture agent for a location. I've been running games consistently at my local game shop for the past couple months now, I'm a two glyph PF2E society GM, and my venture captain has recommended me for venture agent status to Paizo. I would love to start running some scenarios I don't currently own,but I don't want to buy them if I'm going to get access soon. Thanks for any information on this matter.

Silver Crusade 5/5 5/55/5 **** Venture-Captain, Germany—Bavaria

Honestly best to say in communication with your VC, it's faster than it used to be but depends on a couple of factors that are not a good fit to be discussed here.

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5 ***

I imagine that the approval process probably takes longer during this time of year, too, with PaizoCon right around the corner.

4/5 5/5

Historically - anywhere from two weeks to two years.

It depends on how much bandwidth the Paizo staff has, and what the priority list looks like. As the backlog of promotions and resignations gets bigger updating the VO statuses creeps up the list.

2/5 **

I'm not sure if this is too off topic for the thread, but what/where is the process for becoming a VA and does an area actually need one?

Last month ours got into a shouting match with a player who both pulled from all events and aren't responding to emails. I was the only other regular GM so I've just been putting up events on my own for the area. If just doing that locally is fine as far as the org is concerned, I don't feel the need to fill up their queue with more applications. But if someone is "supposed to be in charge" officially, then I probably should start rolling that ball.

Sovereign Court **

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, PF Special Edition Subscriber

Thank you all for the responses. It's making more sense now on why it could be taking longer. All understandable. Definitely a busy time right now.

zeonsghost wrote:

I'm not sure if this is too off topic for the thread, but what/where is the process for becoming a VA and does an area actually need one?

Last month ours got into a shouting match with a player who both pulled from all events and aren't responding to emails. I was the only other regular GM so I've just been putting up events on my own for the area. If just doing that locally is fine as far as the org is concerned, I don't feel the need to fill up their queue with more applications. But if someone is "supposed to be in charge" officially, then I probably should start rolling that ball.

I'm only asking because venture agents get access to past Society scenarios for free, which is helpful since I purchase all other books, getting the past scenarios for free is just a nice bonus. I'm still happy to run games without the designation. I love spreading the good word of 2e to all.

Sovereign Court **

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, PF Special Edition Subscriber
zeonsghost wrote:

I'm not sure if this is too off topic for the thread, but what/where is the process for becoming a VA and does an area actually need one?

Last month ours got into a shouting match with a player who both pulled from all events and aren't responding to emails. I was the only other regular GM so I've just been putting up events on my own for the area. If just doing that locally is fine as far as the org is concerned, I don't feel the need to fill up their queue with more applications. But if someone is "supposed to be in charge" officially, then I probably should start rolling that ball.

Also, crazy to hear about your past venture agent. Glad to hear you're willing to continue gming. Always need more gms, especially when situations like that happen.

Grand Archive 4/5 ***

Psilo Anthro wrote:

Thank you all for the responses. It's making more sense now on why it could be taking longer. All understandable. Definitely a busy time right now.

That said, your VC should easily be able to contact the people who initiate that process, and insure that there has not been an issue. There is an email that you need to respond to to start the process, and they can check if that email has been sent out yet, so that you can make sure you didn't miss it.

It should not take more than a month or two now that the system has been improved.

Grand Archive 4/5 ***

zeonsghost wrote:

I'm not sure if this is too off topic for the thread, but what/where is the process for becoming a VA and does an area actually need one?

Last month ours got into a shouting match with a player who both pulled from all events and aren't responding to emails. I was the only other regular GM so I've just been putting up events on my own for the area. If just doing that locally is fine as far as the org is concerned, I don't feel the need to fill up their queue with more applications. But if someone is "supposed to be in charge" officially, then I probably should start rolling that ball.

Doing that locally is fine, there is no requirement that a location have a VA. That said, if you are acting as a VA, it would be nice to get you the privileges of being a VA, and depending on the area may also open up additional perks for your players as well.

You should contact your local VL or VC and see about becoming a VA.

At this point, the entire approval pipeline is clearing as fast as it fills, so there should be no issue of "clogging up the pipeline."

As far as the process, you contact your VL or VC, they decide if they want you to be a VA, if so, they fill out a form, submitting your name and contact info. From there, you should receive an email within a month or two (they tend to get processed in batches something like once a month) and then you receive an email with further instructions (which are all very simple.)

Nominal VO duties and responsibilities and rewards can be found at the OPF website but speak to your VO, as they can vary by region. (Also due to Covid, some duties are currently suspended.)

Sovereign Court **

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, PF Special Edition Subscriber
Jared Thaler - Personal Opinion wrote:
Psilo Anthro wrote:

Thank you all for the responses. It's making more sense now on why it could be taking longer. All understandable. Definitely a busy time right now.

That said, your VC should easily be able to contact the people who initiate that process, and insure that there has not been an issue. There is an email that you need to respond to to start the process, and they can check if that email has been sent out yet, so that you can make sure you didn't miss it.

It should not take more than a month or two now that the system has been improved.

Thank you. I'll reach back to my VC in the next couple of weeks if I don't hear anything.

2/5 **

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jared Thaler - Personal Opinion wrote:


Doing that locally is fine, there is no requirement that a location have a VA. That said, if you are acting as a VA, it would be nice to get you the privileges of being a VA, and depending on the area may also open up additional perks for your players as well.

You should contact your local VL or VC and see about becoming a VA.

At this point, the entire approval pipeline is clearing as fast as it fills, so there should be no issue of "clogging up the pipeline."

As far as the process, you contact your VL or VC, they decide if they want you to be a VA, if so, they fill out a form, submitting your name and contact info. From there, you should receive an email within a month or two (they tend to get processed in batches something like once a month) and then you receive an email with further instructions (which are all very simple.)

Nominal VO duties and responsibilities and rewards can be found at the OPF website but speak to your VO, as they can vary by region. (Also due to Covid, some duties are currently suspended.)

Thank you for the information!

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Becoming a venture agent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.