What Classes get the most out of Heavy Weapons besides Soldier and Exocortex Mechanic?


Advice

Radiant Oath

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Soldier is the most obvious choice to play a grenade-launcher or minigun toting character, but what if you think that's TOO obvious and wanna play something else?

I'm just unsure because I feel like the caster classes have more important things they can be using their action economy on than shooting an unwieldy gun, and the same goes for classes like Envoy and Biohacker, while the other combat-oriented classes like Solarians and Vanguards get more out of lighter weapons due to their abilities that let them full attack better, and then Operative have sniper rifles, so a heavy weapon seems too unsuited.

I dunno, it just seems like when a character's description includes "has a big gun," that kind of supercedes all other attributes and skills, so if they have psychic powers or leet skills, a big gun just crowds the narrative too much.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Oddly enough, the envoy.

Many heavy weapons are unwieldy. Most of the envoys abilities are move actions, preventing the use of full attacks. And if you're prevented from full attacking anyway you may as well make your one attack a BIG one.

The envoys action economy is standarc action (shoot AND envoy) move action (envoy) around level 6 the shooting doesn't even cost an action, they pop improved get em as part of the attack. So it becomes get em + put the biggest hole you can in the one you're shooting ( the get em usually puts you on par with a ranged soldiers BAB)

Radiant Oath

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I see! Thank you, BNW!


Experiemental Explosive Mechanics love it. They get free grenades, they have to work to get the profiency though... But. After level 5 they add a ton of grenade damage to their launcher.
The fusions, and the range increases are worth it IMO. but millage may very.

Nanocyte will also value heavy weaponsn ow. They can get at level ones pretty consistently. And suddenly draw it in fight while looking empty handed before. Or they can give themselves concealment while shooting it.
They have a ton of utility so heavy weapons aren't too problematic for othe aspects of the game.


Also a weapon focused technomancer. They too have a few move action buffs, and aren't great at full attacks on a typical build.

If they aren't going harmful spells + magic missile, a longarm is a great choice, and heavy weapons only one more feat.

Power armor focused vanguards are likely dex based with some strength, so they can make pretty good switch hitters with a heavy weapon and three feats.

Really, it depends on if you can take three feats in (insert random class here) build, and if the class has anything supporting weapon use.

The big ones who don't benefit (by default) are the biohacker and operative, but only because they require specific weapons for their class features.


For operative, stunt and strike does very well with heavies. It's not the core build, but it can do some funky stuff.

The Exchange

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
I'm just unsure because I feel like the caster classes have more important things they can be using their action economy on than shooting an unwieldy gun,

One of the things I love best about Starfinder is that there are so many ways to build that all play differently, but can still be effective. So I'm going to slightly disagree. Two main reasons:

1) Starfinder fights tend to last quite a few rounds, so even at higher levels magic users usually can't keep casting every round. They need to be able to do something else. You have to plan on using heavy weapons (to meet the strength and to take the feats) from the beginning, but it is a viable option.

2) There are class abilities and spells that synergize well with weapons. Particularly for the technomancer. The Spellshot hack, for example, is a lot of fun when using AoE spells with Blast weapons.


Instead of strength you CAN just rely on the gunner harness, but then its a pain in the tail to swap out if something is immune/resistant to your energy type.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Belafon wrote:
2) There are class abilities and spells that synergize well with weapons. Particularly for the technomancer. The Spellshot hack, for example, is a lot of fun when using AoE spells with Blast weapons.

I'm not sure if that works? In the spellshot text it says - You must target a single creature with your attack, and the spell’s area is centered on that creature, or originates at the creature’s location for a cone or line effect (oriented in whichever direction you choose), even if the spell would normally be centered on or originate from a point.

Pretty sure you have to to use a non line/blast/explode weapon (something that only targets one creature) and then your aoe spell originates from said shot target. I could be wrong but that's how it reads to me.

The Exchange

Gaulin wrote:
Belafon wrote:
2) There are class abilities and spells that synergize well with weapons. Particularly for the technomancer. The Spellshot hack, for example, is a lot of fun when using AoE spells with Blast weapons.

I'm not sure if that works? In the spellshot text it says - You must target a single creature with your attack, and the spell’s area is centered on that creature, or originates at the creature’s location for a cone or line effect (oriented in whichever direction you choose), even if the spell would normally be centered on or originate from a point.

Pretty sure you have to to use a non line/blast/explode weapon (something that only targets one creature) and then your aoe spell originates from said shot target. I could be wrong but that's how it reads to me.

You are correct. I made two errors.

1) I meant to say "explode" but said "blast" by mistake.
2) I forgot that weapons with Explode have to target a grid intersection, not a creature.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Okay I thought there was something I was missing. It would be cool to double up an aoe weapon with an aoe spell but would probably be too strong.

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Advice / What Classes get the most out of Heavy Weapons besides Soldier and Exocortex Mechanic? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.