Can you allow yourself to be hurt if you have damage reduction?


Rules Questions

Scarab Sages

Odd question but I've seen a few abilities with a if you take damage X effect happens and it got me wondering in the same way you can willingly fail a saving throw can you willingly be hurt? That is say you have a character with DR 2/magic who for the sake of argument wants to take a bunch of damage under blood rage to make a strength check and smash a door. Can they willingly ignore their DR and take full damage from the attacks or will they always resist 2 points of damage?


I don't believe there is any official way to turn it off. It might be a fair house rule


DR never fails unless you are using an appropriate weapon. For the most part the only way to bypass it is using the right weapon or having an ability like smite evil the explicitly states it bypasses it. Saving throws on the other hand always have a chance of failure. You can have a +20 to your save but still fail the saving throw on a natural 1 no matter what the DC of the save is.

Willingly failing a save is basically taking a 1 on the save. You are not doing anything to defend yourself and suppressing even instinctual reactions to allow the magic to affect you. DR on the other hand simply functions and for the most part not affected by anything you do. Sol there is nothing you can do to prevent it from working, unless the DR is dependent on some other action. For example if your barbarian gains extra DR from raging you can of course choose not to rage.


Bear in mind that DR doesn't protect you from elemental damage (acid/cold/fire/electricity/sonic), and I think Force damage usually ignores DR as well. So if you want to take damage to trigger something you could smash an acid flask on your forehead.


Falling damage isn't reduced by DR (but it prob should and be considered bludgeoning damage). Also, usually taking damage doesn't matter if it was reduced by DR. It's only rider abilities on the attack that do nothing if the DR completely reduces the damage.

Scarab Sages

Thanks for the replies ok so DR is permanent and can't be willingly forfeited.


^ . . . Which does bring up the question of how you would go about donating blood . . . .


Also, creatures that naturally have DR can typically bypass that DR. So a typical creature with DR from the MM or Bestiary could probably do it with a natural weapon.
Probably not meant to apply to creatures that don't have it naturally, such as with magic items or class levels (ie. a fighter wearing Adamantine armor or a high-level barbarian don't just bypass DR/–).

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pizza Lord wrote:

Also, creatures that naturally have DR can typically bypass that DR. So a typical creature with DR from the MM or Bestiary could probably do it with a natural weapon.

Probably not meant to apply to creatures that don't have it naturally, such as with magic items or class levels (ie. a fighter wearing Adamantine armor or a high-level barbarian don't just bypass DR/–).

Natura weapon of creatures with DR bypass only some specific DR:

Bestiary wrote:

Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. Any weapon with at least a +1 magical enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls overcomes the damage reduction of these monsters. Such creatures’ natural

weapons (but not their attacks with weapons) are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
A few very powerful monsters are vulnerable only to epic weapons—that is, magic weapons with at least a +6 enhancement bonus. Such creatures’ natural weapons are also treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Some monsters are vulnerable to good-, evil-, chaotically, or lawfully aligned weapons. When a cleric casts align weapon, affected weapons might gain one or more of these properties, and certain magic weapons have these properties as well. A creature with an alignment subtype (chaotic, evil, good, or lawful) can overcome this type of damage reduction with its natural weapons and weapons it wields as if the weapons or natural weapons had an alignment (or alignments) that matched the subtype(s) of the creature.

Besides the above, several creatures' natural attacks have the ability to bypass specific DR, but it isn't a general rule.

An example is the CE Bebelith, that evolved to hunt demons:

Quote:

Penetrating Strike (Su) A bebilith’s natural weapons are treated as chaotic and magical for the purposes of penetrating

damage reduction. Against creatures with the demon type, its natural weapons are also treated as cold iron and good.

Its DR is 10/good and it isn't a demon, so it applies when it tries to harm itself.


3.x had a rule that creatures with DR could bypass their own kind’s DR. I don’t think Pathfinder carried that over.

And I can’t remember the exact source of that rule. May have even been in their official magazine, so like an FAQ.


UnArcaneElection wrote:

^ . . . Which does bring up the question of how you would go about donating blood . . . .

Use a needle that can bypass the DR :)

Liberty's Edge

*Thelith wrote:
UnArcaneElection wrote:

^ . . . Which does bring up the question of how you would go about donating blood . . . .

Use a needle that can bypass the DR :)

There wasn't an old Superman comic with him trying to enter the army, and the doctor needle being unable to pierce his skin?

I recall seeing it, it was a black and white comic.

Scarab Sages

Diego Rossi wrote:
*Thelith wrote:
UnArcaneElection wrote:

^ . . . Which does bring up the question of how you would go about donating blood . . . .

Use a needle that can bypass the DR :)

There wasn't an old Superman comic with him trying to enter the army, and the doctor needle being unable to pierce his skin?

I recall seeing it, it was a black and white comic.

I recall a cartoon episode which said Batman carried a Kryptonite scalpel in his utility belt as it could be used to (a) weaken superman if he went rogue and (b) perform emergency surgery on superman if needed.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Senko wrote:
Diego Rossi wrote:
*Thelith wrote:
UnArcaneElection wrote:

^ . . . Which does bring up the question of how you would go about donating blood . . . .

Use a needle that can bypass the DR :)

There wasn't an old Superman comic with him trying to enter the army, and the doctor needle being unable to pierce his skin?

I recall seeing it, it was a black and white comic.
I recall a cartoon episode which said Batman carried a Kryptonite scalpel in his utility belt as it could be used to (a) weaken superman if he went rogue and (b) perform emergency surgery on superman if needed.

Batman utility belt is composed of bags of holding.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's more like an endless bandolier worn as a belt and able to hold things besides bullets.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Can you allow yourself to be hurt if you have damage reduction? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.