Favorite Campaign Settings


Gamer Life General Discussion

101 to 133 of 133 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Tried playing and running Paranoia when I was in the Navy.

Big Rookie Mistake.

It was the 'cursed' game, because five of us in our gaming group tried to run it, and each time we came to the conclusion that 'Art imitated Life too closely'.

While not all the points, the idea of being in a controlled environment with hierarchies and rules of conduct/etc cut a bit too close to military life.

Greatly appreciated BattleTech back in the early-mid 90's, before they started down the path of the Jokehad and the Fakepublic of the Plot. Unfortunately, there's also a crudtonne of misogynistic over and under-tones along with It Always Gets Worse.

Played WEG Star Wars d6 in an organized play format for nearly twenty-five years but a combination of having to build/maintain the 'machinery' to keep the campaign going plus personality conflicts kind of killed any enjoyment there.

Played oWoD (mostly in LARP format) through a couple of organized play groups, mostly Vampire before the idea of them just kind of didn't gel with me anymore, Werewolf for a bit longer until *ditto*.

Pathfinder and Starfinder haven't been bad...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

If you avoided V5 because you'd heard it was being created by fascists, why would your assumption be that a sentence that confirmed that and listed further right wing agenda changes inserted into edition would also include a fun anti-fascist romp?

That logical leap doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I'm glad that you would have fun playing in a roleplaying game where you get to kill Ramzan Kadyrov but White Wolf published no such adventure module, and my statement didn't really lead in the direction of indicating that they had.

What they did was crass, they were called out on it, they agreed it was crass, the writer of that book was let go, the dev team was dissolved and White Wolf was reduced to a licensee with a new brand manager who oversees relationships with licensors like Onyx Path and Renegade Studios who now create the content. So clearly, other people feel much more strongly about this issue than you do.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
dirtypool wrote:

If you avoided V5 because you'd heard it was being created by fascists, why would your assumption be that a sentence that confirmed that and listed further right wing agenda changes inserted into edition would also include a fun anti-fascist romp?

That logical leap doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I'm glad that you would have fun playing in a roleplaying game where you get to kill Ramzan Kadyrov but White Wolf published no such adventure module, and my statement didn't really lead in the direction of indicating that they had.

What they did was crass, they were called out on it, they agreed it was crass, the writer of that book was let go, the dev team was dissolved and White Wolf was reduced to a licensee with a new brand manager who oversees relationships with licensors like Onyx Path and Renegade Studios who now create the content. So clearly, other people feel much more strongly about this issue than you do.

You said multiple ambiguous statements and then jumped down my throat when I disagreed with your argument.

I don't have time for this Twitter-style gotcha-game nonsense, and so this is the last reply I will ever make to you. Good day.

Paizo Employee Director of Community

2 people marked this as a favorite.

removed several posts that attacked the poster, not their positions on the topic, or that dismissed a poster's feelings on the exchange. We do not have to agree with each other's feelings, but that does not mean they aren't valid.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Wei Ji the Learner wrote:


Greatly appreciated BattleTech back in the early-mid 90's, before they started down the path of the Jokehad and the Fakepublic of the Plot. Unfortunately, there's also a crudtonne of misogynistic over and under-tones along with It Always Gets Worse.
..

DARK AGES FOREVER! MAY THE STORYLINE KEEP MARCHING FORWARD!

and you know, having an *actual* jump on point for new people interested in the game without having to sift through neckbeards who will retell the entire storyline of the game over and over again until they believe they have converted you, or complete lunatics who will demand you read the books in the right order, in the right way, and like the right faction.

Also, the yellow peril aspect of the writing needs to stop.

That said I LOVE D6 STAR WARS AND AM GLAD YOU KEPT A GAME GOING FOR YEARS!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

All I know of BattleTech is the computer game, the story campaign is engaging enough and I like the pilot customization options, but I keep getting stuck and unable to win any missions above one-half of one skull (and even worse, the Internet tutorials make things even WORSE and following them makes me lose FASTER and harder) so I low-key hate it now.

Also Feudal Future is an overplayed trope that I'm not a huge fan of.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ian G wrote:

All I know of BattleTech is the computer game, the story campaign is engaging enough and I like the pilot customization options, but I keep getting stuck and unable to win any missions above one-half of one skull (and even worse, the Internet tutorials make things even WORSE and following them makes me lose FASTER and harder) so I low-key hate it now.

Also Feudal Future is an overplayed trope that I'm not a huge fan of.

Head to the thread on these message boards for some actionable information.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Themetricsystem wrote:
Obligatory note that Godwin's Law has been affirmed yet again, sadly it took less than two full pages of discussion to get to the point in this case.
How are you supposed to avoid discussing Nazis when you bring up a campaign setting/RPG literally set in WW2?

Beats me, I guess, but then again I find myself thinking that RPG material that relates to real-world events isn't something that I find to be a tasteful thing to publish in the first place, let alone one that puts the party into such a loaded historical event, regardless of the "side" being taken by the heroes.

Fantasy wars are one thing but publishing RPG adventures about tragedies that have consequences and actual meatspace political connotations that ripple through culture to this day is altogether different. It's the same reason why I find RPG supplements that offer options and rules from real-world cultures to be tacky, nothing against those who create them, find them enjoyable, or valuable to their game but it just rubs me the wrong way as an escapist gamer.

Important note: As ever, these are just my opinions and I cast no dispersions on those who do enjoy this type of chocolate with their peanut butter. I mainly just dropped a snide comment because the conversation seemed to be devolving into a debate about the value/fun/harm of an adventure where killing actual earthling historical baddies.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

One side was indeed debating whether or not that was a valuable or fun thing to play adventures about killing actual earthling historical baddies. I was talking about adventures set amid current real world tragedies that spin them as being the act of supernatural baddies rather than real world flesh and blood monsters who walk amongst us and continue to harm real people day by day.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:


DARK AGES FOREVER! MAY THE STORYLINE KEEP MARCHING FORWARD!
and you know, having an *actual* jump on point for new people interested in the game without having to sift through neckbeards who will retell the entire storyline of the game over and over again until they believe they have converted you, or complete lunatics who will demand you read the books in the right order, in the right way, and like the right faction.

Also, the yellow peril aspect of the writing needs to stop.

That said I LOVE D6 STAR WARS AND AM GLAD YOU KEPT A GAME GOING FOR YEARS!

I will state that my comfort zone is in the not-reinvented wheel that was ClixTime, but that the fandom is broad and encompassing.

In the local area, it was easier to find BattleTech games than D&D due to the Satanic Panic -- though arguably the writing for some of the early-mid BattleTech stuff was... just as bad if not worse.

You also won't get an argument about yellow peril, but I'd also like the faction that's the focus of much of it to just.. y'know, stop being so full of Just Bad. It was looking semi-hopeful for a little bit then... well.. "It's splat/mini selling season again!"

I can only claim a small portion of the credit (playing/GM/Campaign Leadership Team) for the Star Wars d6, and I've not been regularly active for nearly a decade. HOWEVER, that campaign is still running and if desired I can drop Point of Contact info via PM.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Wei Ji the Learner wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:


DARK AGES FOREVER! MAY THE STORYLINE KEEP MARCHING FORWARD!
and you know, having an *actual* jump on point for new people interested in the game without having to sift through neckbeards who will retell the entire storyline of the game over and over again until they believe they have converted you, or complete lunatics who will demand you read the books in the right order, in the right way, and like the right faction.

Also, the yellow peril aspect of the writing needs to stop.

That said I LOVE D6 STAR WARS AND AM GLAD YOU KEPT A GAME GOING FOR YEARS!

I will state that my comfort zone is in the not-reinvented wheel that was ClixTime, but that the fandom is broad and encompassing.

In the local area, it was easier to find BattleTech games than D&D due to the Satanic Panic -- though arguably the writing for some of the early-mid BattleTech stuff was... just as bad if not worse.

You also won't get an argument about yellow peril, but I'd also like the faction that's the focus of much of it to just.. y'know, stop being so full of Just Bad. It was looking semi-hopeful for a little bit then... well.. "It's splat/mini selling season again!"

It's why I liked the Republic of the Sphere. It was actually somewhat interested in keeping a certain level of peace in the inner sphere. Everyone else either wants to conquer for depressingly bigoted and astonishingly dated reasons, live in "peace"(read: you make use of our products or starve to death), live in weird isolation, or conquer for non depressingly bigoted and astonishingly dated reasons.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

The Marvel Superheroes system of the 80's and 90's was fun too!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

FASERIP and Karma are part of the reason I kept gaming during a dry spell due to the lingering after-effects of the Panic.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:
The Marvel Superheroes system of the 80's and 90's was fun too!

I miss Marvel. Loved running that system. Where knocking a PC thru a building resulted in a smirk and 'that all you got?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I like some of the DC conversions done online.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

FASERIP WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That would be a fun game to play online!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Speaking of comic based settings I'm kinda interested in the Sentinels of the multiverse RPG setting which also has a meta setting where the comics were actually made.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

My favorite published setting is probably Freeport: The City of Adventure, by Green Ronin Publishing. All the usual D&D tropes, plus hwfty doses of pirates and Lovecraftian horror. I've run three campaigns in the setting (in 3.0, 3.5, and 3.5 then PF1), and intend to run another eventually (though I'm divided on whether to use 5E or Fantasy AGE for it). I eventually became a contributor to the setting, and hope to do it again someday.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Marvel SAGA system was good too.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I’m also a fan of Star Wars D6 though My only issue with it how the system handles the force. Instead of addressing or trying to fix the issue give advice that essentially boils down to screwing over anyone posting a Jedi.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

There was definitely some imbalance, but it wasn’t like D20 Star Wars where non force users and force users were almost playing completely different game.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well I heard the new Star Wars Rpg from Fantasy Flight Games does a good job of balancing them out. WEG solution felt the scene from the X-men movies where Iceman mom ask if he can stop being a mutant or in WEG case stop being a Jedi.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

FFG does do a particularly good job balancing the two.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tim Emrick wrote:
My favorite published setting is probably Freeport: The City of Adventure, by Green Ronin Publishing. All the usual D&D tropes, plus hwfty doses of pirates and Lovecraftian horror. I've run three campaigns in the setting (in 3.0, 3.5, and 3.5 then PF1), and intend to run another eventually (though I'm divided on whether to use 5E or Fantasy AGE for it). I eventually became a contributor to the setting, and hope to do it again someday.

I was quite interested in the implied setting off the island (one of the continental lands was an evil kingdom of gnomes, led by a sorcerer who used gargoyles as shock troops and ended their endless war against the kobolds, and got too big for his britches and went against the neighboring dwarven land and got strongly rebuked. It's sort of the Razmiran of their implied setting, and the idea of gnomish sorcerers with gargoyle companions intrigued me!).

That said, I played Freeport as being set on a tropical island just north of Hepmonaland, in Greyhawk, but could as easily have plotzed it down in place of Mediogalti island in Golarion. :)

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have recently gained renewed interest in Ravenloft as a setting myself. Dark Fantasy is fun to run and the players I seem to run into simply adore the setting


2 people marked this as a favorite.
dirtypool wrote:

Fash?

Not sure what that means?

It's probably worth noting that in Scots English "fash" is a verb meaning "to fret about something".


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:
The Marvel Superheroes system of the 80's and 90's was fun too!

Goodness, that takes me back. The group I was in in secondary school played some of that in the late 80s, it never took off with everyone but I found it a lot of fun.

Most of the settings I've had most fun in have been homebrew. I quite like some aspects of Exalted's Creation, but given how much of Exalted's mechanics seems to be built around actively wanting the PCs to wreak fundamentally world-changing havoc, I'm not at all sure how much of that would survive any significant length into a campaign.

Most interesting-looking setting I have read recently is Mechanical Dream, though it seems a bit short on long-term plot hooks, and I am also very taken with The Strange and have an opening campaign in that setting sketched out. And I am aiming to pick up SPLINTER one of these days, because the basic concept sounds cool to me if the execution delivers.

(There is part of my brain that wants to graft Nobilis characters and concepts onto the Mechanical Dream world, but I have many other projects and life is short.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
the nerve-eater of Zur-en-Aarh wrote:
Most of the settings I've had most fun in have been homebrew. I quite like some aspects of Exalted's Creation, but given how much of Exalted's mechanics seems to be built around actively wanting the PCs to wreak fundamentally world-changing havoc, I'm not at all sure how much of that would survive any significant length into a campaign.

Creation is quite large, with the Blessed Isle being around the size of Russia - the land mass of Creation is about twice the size of the Earth.

Plenty of room to destroy property and each other.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
the nerve-eater of Zur-en-Aarh wrote:
dirtypool wrote:

Fash?

Not sure what that means?

It's probably worth noting that in Scots English "fash" is a verb meaning "to fret about something".

Fash is also punk shorthand for fascists.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

FACERIP!

Radiant Oath

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Apart from Golarion (obviously), I've always wanted to get into Midnight, the dark fantasy setting from Fantasy Flight games. It's a fantasy setting where the forces of evil have almost conquered the world, with a few tenacious enclaves of elves and dwarves, and scattered bands of rebel humans, halflings and gnomes struggling to keep the flame of hope alive.

I have most of the books, but never actually got to PLAY in it. I particularly like how they shook things up with traditional ancestries; there ARE half-elves, but the other half is HALFLING rather than human, for example, and there's lots of non-European-styled cultures, especially among the elves.

101 to 133 of 133 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / Favorite Campaign Settings All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion