Does Golarion have "SPORTS"?


Pathfinder Second Edition General Discussion

Grand Lodge

This was inspired by the "Greatest itens in the Grand Bazaar" thread.
We now know that balls exist in Golarion.
But are there any established team sports that utilize balls?
Is there any country that has organized leagues?
Does Cheliax have a Soccer league?
Do Taldoran nobles play Polo?
Do Halflings and Gnomes ever have a pick up Basket ball game?
Is there anything at all in canon?
Just curious.


The River Kingdoms definitely have jousting and competitive archery if I remember correctly from Kingmaker AP.

Any sort of international or big national league or standard would be implausible due to long travel times so there is likely wild regional variations in a "rugby VS soccer" kind of way.

Humbly,
Yawar


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Ruk is a major sport in Katapesh that involves trying to get a head-sized leather ball through a ring at the opposing end of the field. And they do have teams sponsored by major guilds.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
YawarFiesta wrote:

The River Kingdoms definitely have jousting and competitive archery if I remember correctly from Kingmaker AP.

Any sort of international or big national league or standard would be implausible due to long travel times so there is likely wild regional variations in a "rugby VS soccer" kind of way.

Humbly,
Yawar

A modern national league certainly not, but a system where each regio sends a team to the capital once a year and they play against each other in a tournament could certainly exist.

Together with regular games on a local level without any score keeping.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

The Church of Kurgess should be responsible for hosting larger tournaments and leagues.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Minkai now has baseball in my new headcanon. Theres nothing at all in any official publication about it but I'm making this mine.

Each daimyo can have his personal team and instead of engaging in battle when someone is slighted they have baseball games. Winner retains his honor. This is a relic of the Dragon Empire when it would have been disruptive to have factions fighting each other for no particular reason. Each team captain can be a retired Samurai. This would also provide a welcome diversion to the populace who are unhappy with the state of politics in their nation.


There are no sports because there is no Britain analog in Golarion to invent them all.


I have worked in a game reminiscent to lacrosse played with giant wooden spoons where the playing area and number of players is extremely variable (so you could do "an entire village against another entire village, with the goals a mile apart" or like "six youths against six youths on a 50 yard field")

Also wrestling. Lots of cultures like wrestling.


I believe there are a few organized ball-using sports in Arcadia, but they're mentioned infrequently. I think one is mentioned in PFAP 143?


Pathfinder Pawns, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

The Shackles has boat racing (or rather, ship sailing marathons). Tian Xia has regular fighting tournaments.

I can't think of any sports involving balls though.


Carpet racing in Qadira and the City of Brass.


Pirate Rob wrote:
Carpet racing in Qadira and the City of Brass.

Sounds totally wizard.


I wonder what sports a Golarion Olympics would have and who would participate.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

This should be in the Lost Omens forum, no?

Distant Shores mentioned that there’s a 12-nation league for boundball in Arcadia, which I hope to see get developed further soon.


keftiu wrote:

This should be in the Lost Omens forum, no?

Distant Shores mentioned that there’s a 12-nation league for boundball in Arcadia, which I hope to see get developed further soon.

Ah that's what it was, boundball.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pawns, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Until recently, the Westgate district on the western side of Absalom had a regular "running of the bull" (actually a gorgon) sport.

Excerpt from "The Absalom Initiation" wrote:
The eponymous statues of Statue Street are the remnants of a longstanding Absalomian tradition: to prevent overcrowding in the city’s prisons, nonviolent offenders were allowed to compete for a pardon in a race to outrun an angry gorgon along these streets. Those who successfully outpaced the beast were allowed to go free; those less fortunate now line the streets as bizarre décor. The ethics of the practice are dubious at best, and it was recently outlawed.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ravingdork wrote:

Until recently, the Westgate district on the western side of Absalom had a regular "running of the bull" (actually a gorgon) sport.

Excerpt from "The Absalom Initiation" wrote:
The eponymous statues of Statue Street are the remnants of a longstanding Absalomian tradition: to prevent overcrowding in the city’s prisons, nonviolent offenders were allowed to compete for a pardon in a race to outrun an angry gorgon along these streets. Those who successfully outpaced the beast were allowed to go free; those less fortunate now line the streets as bizarre décor. The ethics of the practice are dubious at best, and it was recently outlawed.

Golarion has plenty of other cities with dubious ethics that might be willing to pick up this sport....


Westcrown has a fighting ring that pus two mages in separate cages on opposite sides of an aeena. Each one uses summoned monsters to combat one another until the otherside runs out of monstera on the field. This was devised as a work around for the laws against bloodsport.

One can assume that the usual greeco-roman type sports can be foind in various sizes, chariot races, wrestling, bare handed fighting, various running, shooting, or throwing competitions.

More exotic competitions might involve undead monstrosities trying to shove one another into a pit at the command of their necromancer in Geb, or spider racing in the darklands where participants are upsidr down the entire race, Lastwall is one of those places i can see sports being wildly popular as organized games can maintain fitness and provide ample recreation and rest for a people used to rigid duty.

You could run a whole steel ball run type game where the playes are competitors in a cross country race.

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

There's always Blood Pig


Not a true ball sport, but I thought the iconic kineticist from 1e had a hockey stick in her art. If memory serves, she was Arcadian. And everyone knows how Arcadians, especially in the north, feel about that one.

Aside from that, it'd probably be on the national or regional level based on size, population, and most of all stability. It's likely easier to set up football in Cheliax (with agents helpfully provided by the Church of Asmodeus) than baseball in Galt.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

She was not, Yoon was from Minkai, and I’m pretty sure it was a club weapon.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aristophanes wrote:

This was inspired by the "Greatest itens in the Grand Bazaar" thread.

We now know that balls exist in Golarion.
But are there any established team sports that utilize balls?
Is there any country that has organized leagues?
Does Cheliax have a Soccer league?
Do Taldoran nobles play Polo?
Do Halflings and Gnomes ever have a pick up Basket ball game?
Is there anything at all in canon?
Just curious.

Cheliax has halfling tossing.


Ravingdork wrote:

Until recently, the Westgate district on the western side of Absalom had a regular "running of the bull" (actually a gorgon) sport.

Excerpt from "The Absalom Initiation" wrote:
The eponymous statues of Statue Street are the remnants of a longstanding Absalomian tradition: to prevent overcrowding in the city’s prisons, nonviolent offenders were allowed to compete for a pardon in a race to outrun an angry gorgon along these streets. Those who successfully outpaced the beast were allowed to go free; those less fortunate now line the streets as bizarre décor. The ethics of the practice are dubious at best, and it was recently outlawed.

There the "running of the bulls", that it's pretty much the same but with bulls and the participant enter willingly, some are even turist, no substantial prize other hospital bills covered. Won't be surprised if something similar pops in Taldor or back in Absalom. However since there is no score, I don't see how it could become a sport.

Humbly,
Yawar


Dambe is apparently a sport in the Mwngi expanse, and there are many athletics competitions for Kurgess to bless, but i can't remember any team sports, except for "blood pig" which barely qualifies.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / General Discussion / Does Golarion have "SPORTS"? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.