Runelords Needing Cantrips


Pathfinder Second Edition General Discussion


3 people marked this as a favorite.

So I really like the Runelord class archetype for wizards, and have been building some in my spare time. I realized something while doing so, though.

There aren't enough cantrips to go around. The wizard class grants specialists an extra cantrip of their specialized school, and then Runelord grants another cantrip of that same school at second level. For some wizards (looking at you, evokers) this isn't a problem, but a few schools are kind of left out in the cold.

Transmutation is alright, though it forces each runelord into taking the same two cantrips, Gouging Claw and Sigil.
Abjuration technically has enough options to fill the two extra cantrip slots, Shield and Protect Companion, but one of those is useless unless the wizard invests in a minion from somewhere.
Conjuration and Necromancy have it the roughest, however. They've only got one cantrip to their name, Tanglefoot and Chill Touch, respectively. Does this mean their Runelord training doesn't grant them another cantrip?

This is a relatively minor issue, all things considered, and I'm guessing we'll get cantrips to fill in the gaps in future, but it still struck me as odd, and something it'd be better to bring to people's attention sooner rather than later.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The title of this thread made me laugh because I read it in the Rise of the Runelords PF1 context. Where Runelords were wizards beyond mighty and cantrips were level 0 spells :-D


7 people marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:
The title of this thread made me laugh because I read it in the Rise of the Runelords PF1 context. Where Runelords were wizards beyond mighty and cantrips were level 0 spells :-D

Well maybe if they'd all spent less time growing Sinspawn and crafting Runewells, and more time brushing up on their fundamentals, we wouldn't be in this pickle now, lol.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As a fellow runelord lover (played them constantly through PF1 and the Owlcat CRPGs), it sucks, but like you said it's a relatively minor issue. if I were GMing someone who went conjuration or necromancy, I'd just offer them up another (non-prohibited school) cantrip as something of a minor patch.


8 people marked this as a favorite.
Ruzza wrote:
As a fellow runelord lover (played them constantly through PF1 and the Owlcat CRPGs), it sucks, but like you said it's a relatively minor issue. if I were GMing someone who went conjuration or necromancy, I'd just offer them up another (non-prohibited school) cantrip as something of a minor patch.

Yeah, I would rule it as "it must be from the same school if possible, and cannot be from a prohibited school" until such a time as they release more cantrips.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

My recommendations:
Necromancy- Prestidigitation is the most gluttony-appropriate cantrip that is not from a banned list, because it provides the ability to cook and flavor food.

Conjuration- Would be Prestidigitation because of the minor object creation, but it's on a banned school. (I'd be tempted to give it to them as a Conjuration cantrip, because it fits better than any of the others, and because it's effectively a Conjuration/Transmutation/Evocation/Illusion cantrip.) From the legal ones, I would go with Detect Magic as the most slothful spell available- being able to get information about things nearby things without needing to move.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pawns, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I'd just hombrew a cantrip based on an existing cantrip.

For example, I'd take electric arc, limit it to a single target, change its traits to Necromancy and Negative, change the damage type to Negative, then replace the crit effect with "gain temp hit points equal to damage dealt (perhaps with no option for doubling damage). Call it something cool like consumption or devour.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ravingdork wrote:

I'd just hombrew a cantrip based on an existing cantrip.

For example, I'd take electric arc, limit it to a single target, change its traits to Necromancy and Negative, change the damage type to Negative, then replace the crit effect with "gain temp hit points equal to damage dealt (perhaps with no option for doubling damage). Call it something cool like consumption or devour.

I'd go with my favorite Everquest Necromancer name; Lifetap.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / General Discussion / Runelords Needing Cantrips All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.