I Vaguely Sense the Magical Traditions as a Color Palette. Does Anyone Else?


Pathfinder Second Edition General Discussion

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

I know this is a sort of "out there" topic, but ever since PF2 introduced the 4 magical traditions, I always imagined them to have their own particular palette of colors. Here's what is going on in my mind:

Arcane - bright, almost neon colors
Divine - a lot of whites, blacks, some grays and some yellows/golds
Occult - deep dark colors, particularly blues, reds and purples along with grays
Primal - fairly flat and basic primary and secondary colors

Does anybody else get this effect? Is it just me?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
John R. wrote:

I know this is a sort of "out there" topic, but ever since PF2 introduced the 4 magical traditions, I always imagined them to have their own particular palette of colors. Here's what is going on in my mind:

Arcane - bright, almost neon colors
Divine - a lot of whites, blacks, some grays and some yellows/golds
Occult - deep dark colors, particularly blues, reds and purples along with grays
Primal - fairly flat and basic primary and secondary colors

Does anybody else get this effect? Is it just me?

I was actually right there with you until Primal, which evokes earthy tones. Green for plants and red for blood, and brown for earth.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Primal I sort of imagine with watercolors.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Captain Morgan wrote:
John R. wrote:

I know this is a sort of "out there" topic, but ever since PF2 introduced the 4 magical traditions, I always imagined them to have their own particular palette of colors. Here's what is going on in my mind:

Arcane - bright, almost neon colors
Divine - a lot of whites, blacks, some grays and some yellows/golds
Occult - deep dark colors, particularly blues, reds and purples along with grays
Primal - fairly flat and basic primary and secondary colors

Does anybody else get this effect? Is it just me?

I was actually right there with you until Primal, which evokes earthy tones. Green for plants and red for blood, and brown for earth.

I think my brain instinctively goes to the 4 elements and the general colors they are usually represented by. I can definitely appreciate the "earthy tones" though.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Arcane is a lot of glowing blues, Primal is a very fluid and “living” green, Divine is strong gold, white, and black, and Occult is big on spooky, misty purple.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber

To me:

Arcane = Black or Gold
Divine = White or Grey
Primal= Blue or Green
Occult= Red or Purple

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
AnimatedPaper wrote:

To me:

Arcane = Black or Gold

That one is interesting. I'm curious why, if you are even aware of why, you relate those colors to the Arcane tradition.


Did someone cast Synesthesia on you?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
breithauptclan wrote:
Did someone cast Synesthesia on you?

Ha, no but I was expecting someone to say something like that eventually.


John R. wrote:
breithauptclan wrote:
Did someone cast Synesthesia on you?
Ha, no but I was expecting someone to say something like that eventually.

Happy to oblige ;-)


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
John R. wrote:
AnimatedPaper wrote:

To me:

Arcane = Black or Gold

That one is interesting. I'm curious why, if you are even aware of why, you relate those colors to the Arcane tradition.

Final fantasy Black Mages. The blue, red, and white associations were similar.

I don’t remember why I also assigned gold to that tradition. I might have notes somewhere

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
AnimatedPaper wrote:
John R. wrote:
AnimatedPaper wrote:

To me:

Arcane = Black or Gold

That one is interesting. I'm curious why, if you are even aware of why, you relate those colors to the Arcane tradition.

Final fantasy Black Mages. The blue, red, and white associations were similar.

I don’t remember why I also assigned gold to that tradition. I might have notes somewhere

Ah ok. That all makes a lot more sense now.


Slight tangent: what if each magical essence has a color, and the different traditions are made up of the different colors of each of the essences?


John R. wrote:

I know this is a sort of "out there" topic, but ever since PF2 introduced the 4 magical traditions, I always imagined them to have their own particular palette of colors. Here's what is going on in my mind:

Arcane - bright, almost neon colors
Divine - a lot of whites, blacks, some grays and some yellows/golds
Occult - deep dark colors, particularly blues, reds and purples along with grays
Primal - fairly flat and basic primary and secondary colors

Does anybody else get this effect? Is it just me?

\

Occult sort of seems like a black void surrounded by lighter blacks with stars as though you get to draw from the various levels of the cosmos as it spirals into the insane void.


Ventnor wrote:
Slight tangent: what if each magical essence has a color, and the different traditions are made up of the different colors of each of the essences?

Cool, something along the lines of primary colors plus white and their combination? Thou i would give blue to MIND and green ot PRIMAL for sure, so that does not add up as i immagine them.

What would be orange? I cant associate it with any tradition


Furialcon wrote:
Ventnor wrote:
Slight tangent: what if each magical essence has a color, and the different traditions are made up of the different colors of each of the essences?

Cool, something along the lines of primary colors plus white and their combination? Thou i would give blue to MIND and green ot PRIMAL for sure, so that does not add up as i immagine them.

What would be orange? I cant associate it with any tradition

Primal for sun type magic?


So what's green? I cant realy see primal not green but i do see primal as the lightest/brightest traditions (divine also has evil/negative, and arcane is a mixed bag) so it makes sense

Matter red, Life yellow, Mind blue and Spirit white? Could work

That would make primal orange, arcane purple... Oh damn no green, also of the combinations with white the most defined as a color is Pink, and that would not be present as well

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / General Discussion / I Vaguely Sense the Magical Traditions as a Color Palette. Does Anyone Else? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.