Archetype for a Summoned Weapon?


Pathfinder Second Edition General Discussion


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This is such a simple power fantasy that I'm surprised it isn't in 2e already; someone with a summoned weapon that they have some ability to customize. I'm leaning on both 1e's Gloomblade and Starfinder's Solarian here, but also looking at things like the old 3.5 Soulknife and any number of characters in fiction.

Can we expect to see a 2e swing at this any time soon? Am I alone in craving this?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Secrets of Magic has it! So, early September.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
QuidEst wrote:
Secrets of Magic has it! So, early September.

Does it? I thought those were a specific category of magic weapon, whereas I'm looking for something that kind of circumvents the item system.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Soulforger is going to be an archetype, so it's certainly not just items.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Soulforger specifically, requires 14 Wisdom or Divine spellcasting as prerequisites. You can also pick armor instead of weapon in that archetype.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Those prerequisites are kind of a bummer. Seems like it needlessly walls off quite a few characters that would otherwise really like it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
QuidEst wrote:
Soulforger is going to be an archetype, so it's certainly not just items.

I hadn't realized - thank you!

Squiggit wrote:
Those prerequisites are kind of a bummer. Seems like it needlessly walls off quite a few characters that would otherwise really like it.

I agree. It seems like a lot of Magi won't qualify without making some sacrifices elsewhere, which really stings.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's one OR another, so the most common way would be 14 Wisdom, that is not hard to get.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kyrone wrote:
It's one OR another, so the most common way would be 14 Wisdom, that is not hard to get.

Sure, but a Magus needs either Dex or Strength for Spellstrikes, Int if they want their spells to have some punch, and probably some Con to not die as a spellcaster who is getting into the mix somewhat.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

If the feats are interesting I won't mind bumping a save stat on most characters. If you focus on attack rolls on your magus then int won't be vital


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Not impossible to get, but does require someone like a Magus to plan around it and... idk if we really need more reasons to get people to invest in Wisdom.

It's definitely not the end of the world but I'm not sure how it makes it a better archetype.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I'd have certainly preferred occult casters at least being acknowledged as equally proficient in dealing with soul stuff. But, it is what it is.

It'll be a lot easier to ask the GM to loosen the restrictions than to ask them to write something up from whole cloth, and if the archetype is popular, then Paizo is more likely to look into something like a shadow blade archetype. It's at least more broadly accessible than PF1's approach of only three or four classes getting access to something like this.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
QuidEst wrote:

I'd have certainly preferred occult casters at least being acknowledged as equally proficient in dealing with soul stuff. But, it is what it is.

It'll be a lot easier to ask the GM to loosen the restrictions than to ask them to write something up from whole cloth, and if the archetype is popular, then Paizo is more likely to look into something like a shadow blade archetype. It's at least more broadly accessible than PF1's approach of only three or four classes getting access to something like this.

Certainly. I imagine it'll do well - it's a fun thing a lot of folks enjoy, on pure cool factor - and we could get other options flavored more like Gloomblade, the black blade for the Bladebound Magus, or the Solarian.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
keftiu wrote:

This is such a simple power fantasy that I'm surprised it isn't in 2e already; someone with a summoned weapon that they have some ability to customize. I'm leaning on both 1e's Gloomblade and Starfinder's Solarian here, but also looking at things like the old 3.5 Soulknife and any number of characters in fiction.

Can we expect to see a 2e swing at this any time soon? Am I alone in craving this?

I adore the Gloomblade!

Built myself a Gloomblade Ironcaster who, VMCed into an Air Wizard so I could fly around like Thor with my Shadowhammer.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Wis, being one of the three stats that affects saves (and one of the two that affects both saves and skills) is a really common one to sink stat boosts into even if your class doesn't use it for much. So it's not a huge issue.


10 people marked this as a favorite.
PossibleCabbage wrote:
Wis, being one of the three stats that affects saves (and one of the two that affects both saves and skills) is a really common one to sink stat boosts into even if your class doesn't use it for much. So it's not a huge issue.

Yeah, but it has the major drawback of being associated with "making good decisions", so I try to avoid it on most of my characters.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Call Bonded Item if you pick a weapon as your Wizard's bonded item.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't know what Soulforger do, but I'm happy they are developing options for Divine & Wisdom Casters.

The Divine list is arguably the weakest (with some spells not even usable depending on deity), and Wisdom casters don't really have much in archetype/multiclass options.

Sure Wisdom is a good stat, but when you're looking at options that use it for dedication there isn't much, compared to Martials or other casters.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, from what I have read, Soul Forger lets you be Heroic Spirit EMIYA/Erza Scarlett, and lets you pocket dimension/conjure up pretty much anything from the equipment section (that presumably scales with you in terms of +X and whathaveyou). Excited to put it on a Fighter and MAKE HS EMIYA and run around Bone of my Sword-ing people

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / General Discussion / Archetype for a Summoned Weapon? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.