What little gems have you discovered in THE MWANGI EXPANSE?


Pathfinder Second Edition General Discussion


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pawns, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

What are some of the cool, little details that you've noticed about the new book, The Mwangi Expanse? At over 300 pages in length, it ought to have lots of great little gems hidden throughout!

For me, it was the image of the iconic shifter, Zova, on page 21. Is this a sign that the class is coming to 2E in some form someday?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

The upside down giants with eyes in their feet!

Those things are attacking my party at the first chance I get.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I could see shifter as a class archetype for Druid if it doesn't get a full class.

...I'm going to need a page number for those giants because I definitely want to use them as well.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Guntermench wrote:

I could see shifter as a class archetype for Druid if it doesn't get a full class.

...I'm going to need a page number for those giants because I definitely want to use them as well.

292, enjoy


Thanks!

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

My favorite so far are the Dwarves who dye their hair and beards to match the sky at important moments of their lives. Second is the Orcs having a completely different history from their Belzeken cousins.

Also on Iconics both the Iconic Cavalier and the 1E iconic Oracle show up in the art aswell.

Wayfinders

1 person marked this as a favorite.

There's a couple recipes for real-world dishes throughout the nation sections (a Bloodcove barbecue rub, a Nantambu chocolate drink, and I could have sworn there's a third one somewhere but I might be misremembering).

Also the Mbe'ke dwarf citadel of Cloudspire (their effective capital) has both an amazing piece of art, and just some damn good locations.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If I don't care about lore at all, but I do care about mechanical options/crunch/monsters/etc, should I get this book?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Filthy Lucre wrote:
If I don't care about lore at all, but I do care about mechanical options/crunch/monsters/etc, should I get this book?

There's several new ancestries as well as a small bestiary. As always, if you're not sure you can wait for it to be uploaded to AoN and see if there's enough content relevant to you to justify a purchase. It is much more lore than crunch so its a worthwhile question.

Wayfinders

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Filthy Lucre wrote:
If I don't care about lore at all, but I do care about mechanical options/crunch/monsters/etc, should I get this book?

Eeh?

You basically have:
- the six new ancestries (4 pages of content each)
- three or four ancestry feats scattered throughout (a lizardfolk one, an orc one, an elf one, and maybe one more I'm forgetting)
- one artifact (a pretty cool one admittedly)
- a contract that swears you to Walkena (as per contracts introduced in Legends)
- two new weapons (Song'o fighting sticks and Senghor gaffs)
- a new sorcerer bloodline (a divine variant of the arcane draconic one, cross-compatible with it no less)
- the monsters (15 types, though a few have 2 or 3 stat blocks per)

Still, that in total adds up to a really small chunk of the book, and the monsters and ancestries will go up on Archives of Nethys and other places in about a week's time anyway.


Arachnofiend wrote:
Filthy Lucre wrote:
If I don't care about lore at all, but I do care about mechanical options/crunch/monsters/etc, should I get this book?
There's several new ancestries as well as a small bestiary. As always, if you're not sure you can wait for it to be uploaded to AoN and see if there's enough content relevant to you to justify a purchase. It is much more lore than crunch so its a worthwhile question.

What stuff doesn't show up on AoN?

Wayfinders

Filthy Lucre wrote:
Arachnofiend wrote:
Filthy Lucre wrote:
If I don't care about lore at all, but I do care about mechanical options/crunch/monsters/etc, should I get this book?
There's several new ancestries as well as a small bestiary. As always, if you're not sure you can wait for it to be uploaded to AoN and see if there's enough content relevant to you to justify a purchase. It is much more lore than crunch so its a worthwhile question.
What stuff doesn't show up on AoN?

Basically all of the lore stuff that isn't directly attached to a new ancestry or rules option (so none of the geography, history or human/nonhuman cultures).

I also forgot to mention that there's 12 new gods here (well, 11 if you discount Grandmother Spider as she reappears from Gods & Magic), but they don't come with new focus spells or domains or favored weapons or anything.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I adore the story about the Mbe’ke accidentally mining their way through the sky. It’s such a cute little myth.

The Sweetbreath Gnoll art is absolutely gorgeous.

Senghor sounds like a lovely place to live.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
RiverMesa wrote:
Filthy Lucre wrote:
Arachnofiend wrote:
Filthy Lucre wrote:
If I don't care about lore at all, but I do care about mechanical options/crunch/monsters/etc, should I get this book?
There's several new ancestries as well as a small bestiary. As always, if you're not sure you can wait for it to be uploaded to AoN and see if there's enough content relevant to you to justify a purchase. It is much more lore than crunch so its a worthwhile question.
What stuff doesn't show up on AoN?

Basically all of the lore stuff that isn't directly attached to a new ancestry or rules option (so none of the geography, history or human/nonhuman cultures).

I also forgot to mention that there's 12 new gods here (well, 11 if you discount Grandmother Spider as she reappears from Gods & Magic), but they don't come with new focus spells or domains or favored weapons or anything.

There's a 13th god found on the sidebar on page 158. Kitumu, The Mother of Fireflies. So really, there's still 12 new gods!


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ravingdork wrote:

What are some of the cool, little details that you've noticed about the new book, The Mwangi Expanse? At over 300 pages in length, it ought to have lots of great little gems hidden throughout!

For me, it was the image of the iconic shifter, Zova, on page 21. Is this a sign that the class is coming to 2E in some form someday?

Surely you mean the group picture on page 22? My PDF has what looks like a gunslinger on page 21.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Guntermench wrote:

I could see shifter as a class archetype for Druid if it doesn't get a full class.

...I'm going to need a page number for those giants because I definitely want to use them as well.

I love the idea of having a Shifter Class in 2e, but I hope the implementation is better than it was in 1e, where the class was extremely lackluster. I'm playing a Shifter in a 1e campaign right now, but my GM agreed the class was weak as written, and gave it some house rule love.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber

In the interests of heading off a derail, I’ll go ahead and give my shifter speculation thread a bump when I get home in a bit.

As far gems goes, the sidebar on Cykurarreot is quite possibly my favorite side bar in a Lost Omens book yet. I adore her and would like a campaign where she solves mysteries with the assistance of a few strapping young adventurers.


Pathfinder Pawns, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
RiverMesa wrote:
I also forgot to mention that there's 12 new gods here (well, 11 if you discount Grandmother Spider as she reappears from Gods & Magic), but they don't come with new focus spells or domains or favored weapons or anything.

That's still great news for oracles with Divine Access.

David knott 242 wrote:

Surely you mean the group picture on page 22? My PDF has what looks like a gunslinger on page 21.

What the? I could have sworn...

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Wanted to make some notes for those interested.
Merisiel in Mwangi garb page 9
Alain Cavalier Iconic page 18
Zova Iconic Shifter page 22
Linxia iconic Hellknight page 82 (missed this one on the first flip through)
Alahazra and Korakai pf1 and pf2 icoinc oracles page 130

Quinn and Jirelle iconic Investigator and swashbucker page 146


Pathfinder Pawns, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Man, if the picture on 24-255 are any indication is any indication, Senghor ships are positively WILD!

They look like dinosaur-shaped water tanks! XD

The one on 256 looks like a gravy boat. :)


Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

That is a rather curious design for a sailing ship.

Dark Archive

Nicolas Paradise wrote:

Wanted to make some notes for those interested.

Merisiel in Mwangi garb page 9
Alain Cavalier Iconic page 18
Zova Iconic Shifter page 22
Linxia iconic Hellknight page 82 (missed this one on the first flip through)
Alahazra and Korakai pf1 and pf2 icoinc oracles page 130

Quinn and Jirelle iconic Investigator and swashbucker page 146

I hope this is sign that paizo is more open for old iconic cameos and not full in "it was 100% mistake that we had old alchemist show up" x'D


I really love the new god of fear. He does make the wait for a 2e Inquisitor more painful, though.

The Mbe’ke having nondwarf citizens makes me so happy!


Pathfinder Pawns, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ravingdork wrote:

Man, if the picture on 254-255 are any indication is any indication, Senghor ships are positively WILD!

They look like dinosaur-shaped water tanks! XD

The one on 256 looks like a gravy boat. :)

Man, what is it with me and page numbers lately?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ravingdork wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:

Man, if the picture on 254-255 are any indication is any indication, Senghor ships are positively WILD!

They look like dinosaur-shaped water tanks! XD

The one on 256 looks like a gravy boat. :)

Man, what is it with me and page numbers lately?

Some of the full page art doesn't have a page number and when you are viewing the pdf may be seing the previous pages number?


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

An inquisitor is listed in the Mzali entry.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
nephandys wrote:
An inquisitor is listed in the Mzali entry.

NPCs routinely have listings that aren’t real classes. I’d love for it to be a hint of things to come, but I’m not getting my hopes up until they explicitly say “hey, it’s coming!”


keftiu wrote:
nephandys wrote:
An inquisitor is listed in the Mzali entry.
NPCs routinely have listings that aren’t real classes. I’d love for it to be a hint of things to come, but I’m not getting my hopes up until they explicitly say “hey, it’s coming!”

How would you feel if inquisitor was a divine wave caster? Just imagining how I'd make it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
WWHsmackdown wrote:
keftiu wrote:
nephandys wrote:
An inquisitor is listed in the Mzali entry.
NPCs routinely have listings that aren’t real classes. I’d love for it to be a hint of things to come, but I’m not getting my hopes up until they explicitly say “hey, it’s coming!”
How would you feel if inquisitor was a divine wave caster? Just imagining how I'd make it.

I’d be content with that; something more Rogue or Investigator-y than a Magus feels just about right.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I feel like I'd also want an Occult tradition Inquisitor option for some reason. Sort of a know your enemy Witch Hunter thing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
keftiu wrote:
nephandys wrote:
An inquisitor is listed in the Mzali entry.
NPCs routinely have listings that aren’t real classes. I’d love for it to be a hint of things to come, but I’m not getting my hopes up until they explicitly say “hey, it’s coming!”

Oh yeah I definitely know. I'm not anticipating it's coming soon but it's the class I want the most.

Shaman was mentioned in bestiary 3 too and I doubt that's coming soon either.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Djinn71 wrote:
I feel like I'd also want an Occult tradition Inquisitor option for some reason. Sort of a know your enemy Witch Hunter thing.

I’d like that, though I’d sooner see it as an Investigator option.


keftiu wrote:
Djinn71 wrote:
I feel like I'd also want an Occult tradition Inquisitor option for some reason. Sort of a know your enemy Witch Hunter thing.
I’d like that, though I’d sooner see it as an Investigator option.

Hmm...

There *is* just about enough space in a methodology to get you started on a caster MC. I feel like metholodogies are a bit beefier than rogue rackets, and Magical Trickster is a thing. The real issue there is that while it does fit occult, it doesn't fit any of the occult-capable full-caster classes. It's certainly not a sorcerer or bard, and occult witch only sort of works.

Dark Archive

Nicolas Paradise wrote:

Wanted to make some notes for those interested.

Merisiel in Mwangi garb page 9
Alain Cavalier Iconic page 18
Zova Iconic Shifter page 22
Linxia iconic Hellknight page 82 (missed this one on the first flip through)
Alahazra and Korakai pf1 and pf2 icoinc oracles page 130

Quinn and Jirelle iconic Investigator and swashbucker page 146

We have an Iconic hellknight?


Kevin Mack wrote:
We have an Iconic hellknight?

We do!

Dark Archive

SOLDIER-1st wrote:
Kevin Mack wrote:
We have an Iconic hellknight?
We do!

Oh yeah I forgot about them.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Page 17 has one of my favorite things I've read in this book so far: apparently, one of the big reasons why Grandmother Spider is one of the most-worshipped gods in Garund is because of an effort by the Magaambya to make Anadi more accepted in other societies by spreading stories that spiders can be good too.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I love that the Jaha and Nantambu sections both list popular pets. It's a detail that really fleshes out the cultures.

(I also note that Nantambu has outlawed pet honey badgers on the streets, but I'm pretty sure that the crazy nastyass honey badger don't care.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I love how they detail the dialectical drift across the Expanse with the Mwangi language families. I love to give my characters unique voices, whether I speak in them or not, and this kind of stuff really helps me feel connected to them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Same, I understand using language groups as languages across very broad areas as a good in-game simplification for non-linguists, but the dialects help you keep nuance and personal history.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / General Discussion / What little gems have you discovered in THE MWANGI EXPANSE? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.