Good weapons to hunt vampires and undead?


Advice


There seems to be a consencus when it comes to what weapons are good against vampires, and against other types on undead as well, but I can't find anything ^^;

For instance, there's the crossbow, and the heartstake bolts. However, I fail to see exactly why the crossbow, as it doesn't normally act as a wooden stake for vampires upon a critical hit, as an example. Also, aside from wooden stakes and melee weapons, there's a slashing weapon to sever a vampire's head, but there are some different opinions when it comes to swords and axes.

So yeah, while any good martial class can fit the bill for a vampire hunter, what's the usual gear for it?

Shadow Lodge

A good Bludgeoning weapon for use against Skeletal Undead
A good Slashing weapon for use against Zombies and their ilk.

Eventually, a Ghost Touch weapon for use against incorporeal foes will be helpful, and Bane(Undead) is also a good option.


If you are going up against Vampire’s you want a silver weapon as even vampire spawn have DR silver. For a full vampire you need both silver and magic to overcome their DR. Don’t forget to also make sure that any secondary weapons especially ranged ones have this.

Undead Bane is probably one of your best bets for an enchantment. Not only does it do an extra 2d6 of damage but it also increases the enchantment bonus by +2. Since any magic weapon has to have at least a +1 bonus before any other properties can be added that means a bane weapon has at least a +3 bonus vs its subtype. That is high enough to deal with either silver or cold iron.

Holy is another good enchantment to deal with undead. Since all undead are evil this means that the extra damage always comes into play. But Bane and Ghost Touch should come before this holy.

Holy Weapon Balm is something that can be very useful to have for an undead hunter. The extra damage is nice. But the real value is that it makes the weapon (or ammunition) count as magic and ghost touch is more valuable. Since it has to be applied to a weapon this requires some prep time, but in the right circumstances this can be well worth it. Using this on a melee focused characters ranged weapon would be a really good tactic.

Don't forget the mundane items like holy symbol, garlic etc...


A big slashing weapon, such as a greatsword or greataxe, for chopping off the heads. There is no metagame reason for this, but it looks cool. Get the weapon silvered.

If you have a cleric, a bludgeoning weapon. Cast Disrupting Weapon on it. A bludgeoning weapon is great for pounding stakes. Carry stones: Magic Stone is pretty good against undead. Spiritual Weapon, since I believe it dishes out force damage, so you can slap ghosts with it.

JiCi wrote:
However, I fail to see exactly why the crossbow, as it doesn't normally act as a wooden stake

If you put a wooden bolt through their heart, after the metal arrowhead has gone through it...

Well, okay. Silvered crossbow bolts. Vampires tend to be urban creatures, and IMO a longbow isn't a great weapon for a city.


Brilliant enchantment.... because it becomes a blade of light. And lightsabers should be good against undead right?


Joey Cote wrote:

Brilliant enchantment.... because it becomes a blade of light. And lightsabers should be good against undead right?

Lightsabers are actually useless against the undead:

Quote:
A brilliant energy weapon has its significant portion transformed into light, although this does not modify the item’s weight. It always gives off light as a torch (20- foot radius). A brilliant energy weapon ignores nonliving matter. Armor and shield bonuses to AC (including any enhancement bonuses to that armor) do not count against it because the weapon passes through armor. (Dexterity, deflection, dodge, natural armor, and other such bonuses still apply.) A brilliant energy weapon cannot harm undead, constructs, or objects.


The crossbow vs. vampires is an image from fiction with no exact relevance to PF. Holy water is a thing though, and not unuseful at low levels. And/or holy water balm.

If you get the versatile weapon feat or spell then you can breathe a quiet sigh of relief and forget about slashing or bludgeoning DR.


For defense against vampires, razored armor, alchemical grease, and neck guards can be helpful. Soul candles can be good for detection.

It's a good idea to grab small mithral weapons for your silver penetration, they're cheap if light enough and don't suffer the penalties of silver weapons. Cryptstone sling stones for a sling or stonebow would also be good. A launching crossbow for holywater would also be alright.

Battle Poi could be alright at early levels, having a weapon that just does fire damage can be easier than the variety of weapons you'd need otherwise.


Kimera757 wrote:
A big slashing weapon, such as a greatsword or greataxe, for chopping off the heads. There is no metagame reason for this, but it looks cool. Get the weapon silvered.

Actually there is: if you paralyze a vampire with a stake, you must then sever its head and douse it in holy water to destroy it for good.


Mithral acts as silver, and doesn't reduce your damage like Alchemical Silver does.

Crypt-stone can be used as a cheaper alternative to the Ghost Touch enchantment.

The Glorious encouragement makes your weapon shine with Daylight... the advantage should be obvious.


Sandslice wrote:
Joey Cote wrote:

Brilliant enchantment.... because it becomes a blade of light. And lightsabers should be good against undead right?

Lightsabers are actually useless against the undead:

Quote:
A brilliant energy weapon has its significant portion transformed into light, although this does not modify the item’s weight. It always gives off light as a torch (20- foot radius). A brilliant energy weapon ignores nonliving matter. Armor and shield bonuses to AC (including any enhancement bonuses to that armor) do not count against it because the weapon passes through armor. (Dexterity, deflection, dodge, natural armor, and other such bonuses still apply.) A brilliant energy weapon cannot harm undead, constructs, or objects.

Yeah, see, sarcasm, because an enchantment that is +4 that makes certain opponents immune to your weapons?


avr wrote:
The crossbow vs. vampires is an image from fiction with no exact relevance to PF. Holy water is a thing though, and not unuseful at low levels. And/or holy water balm.

Really...? Well that's too bad. I could have seen crossbow bolts acting as wooden stakes... aisde from the Heartstake Bolts I've mentioned. The issue with these is that you have to drive the bolt through the vampire's heart as a full-round action. You cannot shoot a vampire, run to it and finish the job. You need a second person within melee range to take his full-round action to drive the bolt.

Those bolts aren't alchemical in nature either, meaning that you cannot enhance them to increase the DC and/or the duration of the helpless condition.


If they wanted crossbow bolts to act as stakes, they probably wouldn't have given the Wooden Stakes a range increment. If you are afraid to get near the Vampire, throw a stake.

Still doesn't count as staking the Vampire, though.

The only way I know to decrease the time required to stake a Vampire is to be an actual Vampire Hunter.


VoodistMonk wrote:

If they wanted crossbow bolts to act as stakes, they probably wouldn't have given the Wooden Stakes a range increment. If you are afraid to get near the Vampire, throw a stake.

Still doesn't count as staking the Vampire, though.

The only way I know to decrease the time required to stake a Vampire is to be an actual Vampire Hunter.

In technical terms, you need to render a vampire helpless in order to stab it with a stake, so... any ability/item that can paralyzed, hold, bind, put to sleep and render unconscious can lower the... stakes XD

BTW, I recently binged Van Helsing on Netflix (the Syfy series), hence why I got curious ;)


The best way to hunt vampires is to be a Vampire Hunter, in my opinion. You can use anything pointy as a stake, and eventually can attempt to stake them if you confirm a critical... seems pretty legit. And, to my knowledge, nobody else gets anything to actually help them stake a Vampire.


At low levels, against undead that aren't DR/Slashing/Piercing... Battle Aspergillum. Its a Light Weapon, Simple type, that deals 1d6 Bludgeoning but can also be loaded with holy water. If you attack a creature susceptible to damage from holy water, the weapon deals +1 damage from the holy water loaded in it; after 5 hits it needs to be reloaded.

Also, just on the off chance you meet a really old fashioned vampire, have Create Water ready as an Orison. Make a line of running water and run; you get a bit of a head start.


VoodistMonk wrote:
The best way to hunt vampires is to be a Vampire Hunter, in my opinion. You can use anything pointy as a stake, and eventually can attempt to stake them if you confirm a critical... seems pretty legit. And, to my knowledge, nobody else gets anything to actually help them stake a Vampire.

You're talking about the Inquisitor's archetype, right? I've seen it, and I've also seen the Ranger's Corpse Hunter, and the 1,001 Paladin archetypes :P

Since pretty much any class can dedicate their lives to fighting undead, one thing that might be in common is the weaponry.


No. The class. It's a Base Class. No available archetypes. One of the only Full BAB classes with a good Will save, that I know of. 4th level Inquisitor spells.


Before holy I would actually look at life surge.

Gives
Bonus vs necromantic and undead drain /damage abiliites.
Bonus to temp hp when gaining temp hp (making even the virtue cantrip useful)
Double crit range vs undead (one of few ways to "keen" a bludgeoning weapon)
Positive burst damage based on x crit number on a crit, like a flaming burst weapon
Option to heal HP on a crit instead of the positive energy.

As an aside for the stake/cross bolt talk. Bolts are destroyed on a hit. Durable arrows exist but are coated in alchemy, so likely wouldn't work. This was a workaround.


Always wear a Symbol of Sanguine Protection.


Theaitetos wrote:
Always wear a Symbol of Sanguine Protection.

Unless you like having a decent AC. That uses the same slot as an amulet of natural armor and costs about as much as a +3 AoNA.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The Ghostslayer feat is a great way of getting Ghost Touch without needing to buy the enchantment.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Good weapons to hunt vampires and undead? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.