Weapon property runes


Rules Discussion


Can wild order druids when wild shaped benefit from Weapon Property Runes?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The restriction for polymorphed attacks only using the written statistics is a bit unclear as to what is allowed and what not.

Personally, I'd allow property runes (like flaming) on handwraps but definitly not item bonusses and striking runes. Striking runes give weird results and item bonusses are forbidden. Property runes are additional effects that at least don't wreck with the spells base damage math. I can see a case for both allowing and forbidding them.

But a T-rex with flaming teeth is just too cool to not allow.


Quote:
But a T-rex with flaming teeth is just too cool to not allow.

Sounds rather uncomfortable to me though

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I would say "no", you can not get item bonuses and your equipment is "absorbed" into you. It does not say "weapon runes are now part of the your natural weapons"...

Quote:


If you take on a battle form with a polymorph spell, the special statistics can be adjusted only by circumstance bonuses, status bonuses, and penalties. Unless otherwise noted, the battle form prevents you from casting spells, speaking, and using most manipulate actions that require hands. (If there’s doubt about whether you can use an action, the GM decides.)

Your gear is absorbed into you; the constant abilities of your gear still function, but you can’t activate any items.

Why would the weapon rune suddenly move from your Thundering club to you fangs or claws?

I see the argument basically this line..."Your gear is absorbed into you; the constant abilities of your gear still function". So your flaming sword still has the rune and is still flaming but you are no long able to wield it since it was adsorbed would be my take. :)

This is just my opinion, not RAW. I hope there is clarifying FAQ on this :)


Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Slamy Mcbiteo wrote:

I would say "no", you can not get item bonuses and your equipment is "absorbed" into you. It does not say "weapon runes are now part of the your natural weapons"...

Quote:

If you take on a battle form with a polymorph spell, the special statistics can be adjusted only by circumstance bonuses, status bonuses, and penalties. Unless otherwise noted, the battle form prevents you from casting spells, speaking, and using most manipulate actions that require hands. (If there’s doubt about whether you can use an action, the GM decides.)

Your gear is absorbed into you; the constant abilities of your gear still function, but you can’t activate any items.

Why would the weapon rune suddenly move from your Thundering club to you fangs or claws?

I see the argument basically this line..."Your gear is absorbed into you; the constant abilities of your gear still function". So your flaming sword still has the rune and is still flaming but you are no long able to wield it since it was adsorbed would be my take. :)

This is just my opinion, not RAW. I hope there is clarifying FAQ on this :)

There's an implied "with handwraps of mighty blows, which specifically affect unarmed attacks and whose slotted runes could be considered constant benefits" in the original question.

That said, I read it as "no, the runes don't work" except yes to item bonuses to your pre-polymorph unarmed attack bonus (so the potency rune) for determining if it is better than the form's attack modifier. Wild shape's extra +2 status bonus is pretty strong in edge cases with that interpretation (like fighters multiclassing into druid) but won't stack with other buffs like heroism, bless, or inspire courage, and comes with a whole host of downsides (can't talk, can't cast spells, no critical specialization benefits, probably can't use athletics-based attacks like trip or grapple that require a free hand, possibly worse AC...).


Summed up Wild order Druids are handicapped considerably. A few less restrictions would be helpful. I'm reminded a little bit of the Warpriest.

But certainly they can use grab and trip attacks, afterall they do indicate an Athletics mod when looking at animal form, dino form, etc.


Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Atalius wrote:

Summed up Wild order Druids are handicapped considerably. A few less restrictions would be helpful. I'm reminded a little bit of the Warpriest.

But certainly they can use grab and trip attacks, afterall they do indicate an Athletics mod when looking at animal form, dino form, etc.

Having an athletics modifier for a d20 roll doesn't mean that they meet the requirement of "you have at least one hand free" necessary for most of the athletics options, including grab and trip. If they had the appropriate weapon traits, there would be no doubt, but considering deer don't have hands its pretty easy to see a GM ruling that they don't meet the requirement to make a trip action.


If a GM was to not allow grabbing from animals or tripping, the wild druid could be considered the same tier as the Alchemist.


Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Atalius wrote:
If a GM was to not allow grabbing from animals or tripping, the wild druid could be considered the same tier as the Alchemist.

I think that's a significant exaggeration. Wild shape druids get speed upgrades, melee damage upgrades, reach upgrades, temp HP, alternate movement modes, full spellcasting with a tradition good at damage and heals, etc. They can have limited strength and dex and still be a pretty strong melee combatant as long as they have a focus point.

I don't know if they intentionally omitted a clear accommodation for such attacks with the wild shape forms, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. And I think it's a little anti-thematic for them to be unable to do so, but they're not suddenly bad at going from spellcasting to fighting in a pinch just because they can't trip.


They can't cast while wild shaped, it's pretty much you either try to replace a martial or you become a pure caster Druid.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Atalius wrote:
They can't cast while wild shaped, it's pretty much you either try to replace a martial or you become a pure caster Druid.

Orrrr...they could adapt their tactics based on the situation on an encounter by encounter basis. Sometimes casting is great, sometimes you just need another mauler. A wild shape Druid can do both; they're great switch hitters.

It's okay that they can't do both at the same time, and that there are some drawbacks to each.

If you don't value flexibility and breadth of options, then druids probably aren't the class for you.


Atalius wrote:
They can't cast while wild shaped, it's pretty much you either try to replace a martial or you become a pure caster Druid.

That's why you use spells like Summon Animal, Summon Fey, Summon Plant or Fungus, Flaming Sphere, Summon Elemental, Haste, Fire Shield, Stoneskin, Vital Beacon, Impaling Briars, Storm Lord, etc...

You can't cast spells while Wild Shaped, but you sure as hell can give yourself a bunch of one minute buffs, cast a Sustain spell, and then Wild Shape and Sustain the spell every turn to get the effects.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / Weapon property runes All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.