Divine Gunslinger - The Machine Gun Preacher


Advice


A couple of days I go, I published this post. A Musket Master (Gunslinger)/Forgepriest (Warpriest) multi-class character concept.

It is admittedly a "janky" concept. It is not a full BAB class, and the spellcasting to make up for it, is delayed by a lot of levels.

As I have given this character more thought, what I am attracted to is multiclassing out of Musket Master after 5 levels, and into a divine class.

I decided to take another look at Musket Master/Paladin

My thoughts on the Paladin as I am multiclassing is to use one of the Archetypes that trade away its spellcasting. I am ery attracted to the idea of a Virtuous Bravo, as the Hero Points pool, and there is a lot of synergy in the deeds. Then there is the Temple Champion which gets me a domain, and Warpriest blessings (Not sold on it honestly)

1. I want to hear your thoughts, how best to multi-class Gunslinger & Paladin together? What level split?

Options
- Musket Master 3/Paladin X (Gets me the Free Action Reload)

- Musket Master 5/Paladin X (Gets me Musket Training)

- Musket Master 8/Paladin X (Gets me that 2nd Bonus Feat)

2. Is the multiclass better than the Warpriest version. I am giving up weapon specialization for better BAB, and better saves


IMO musket master 5 is the natural stopping point. Three more levels just for a bonus feat (& minor stuff like the L7 deeds) is absurd, and the gun training is worth the two extra levels over the minimum.

While the smite evil is active the paladin is better, but if you have multiple battles per day the warpriest will be better for a while. Even at warpriest 1 they can throw out a divine favor spell for two battles.


Mary Magnum

The Machine Gun Tripod is a bully pulpit!

Your 10 Commandments are the Hire Maxims!


I have written out a character sheet, I do see the Virtuous Bravo working better for me. Unfortunately I cannot make use of all of the deeds but, there are a few that do not require a one handed melee weapon to work.

Favored Class?

Gunslinger: Add +1/4 point to the gunslinger’s grit points. (So I can get 1 extra point)

Paladin: +1 to the paladin’s energy resistance to one kind of energy (Maximum +10) (This looks good, it offsets the multi-class, as I would get 10 either wa. What energy type though?)

or

+1HP

What do you think?


If you're starting at level 1 then you probably want a gunslinger FCB, as the paladin FCB won't start accumulating until L6. If you're playing this character in a L20 oneshot then obviously you'll be taking a paladin FCB.

+1 grit point is probably better than the +4 HP it replaces.


LEVEL 12
Menas, Gunslinger (Musket Master) 5/Paladin (Virtuous Bravo) 7.
Initiative: 6 (Dex), +2 (Gunslinger Initiative) +2 (Swashbuckler Initiative) = +10
HP: 12+11d10+22 = 94
Speed: 30 ft.
Race: Human
Heroic Pool (Panache & Grit): 5 = +2 (Cha) +1 (Wis) +1 (Plume of panache) +1 (favorite human class).

Stats - 25 Points
Str: 10
Dex: 17+2+3 = 22
Cons: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 14

DEFENSE
Armor Class: 10+4 (Mithral Chain Shirt) +6 (dex) +3 (nimble) = 23
Touch: 19; Flat-footed: 14
Fort: +13; Ref: +14; Will: +10

OFFENSE

Distance: Musket +12 (BAB) + 6 (Dex) + 1 (Weapon Focus) + 1 (Point Blank) -3 (Deadly Aim) -2 Rapid Shot = +15/+15/+10/+5
Damage: 1d12 +6 (Dex) +1 (Point-Blank) +6 (Deadly Aim) = 19

TRAITS
Indomitable Faith (Faith)
Never Stop Shooting (Combat)

FEATS
1 (Level)- Point-Blank Shot
1 (Human)- Weapon Focus (Musket)
1 (Extra Gunslinger)- Rapid Reload
3 (level)- Deadly Aim
4 (Extra Gunslinger) - Rapid Shot
5 (Level)- Precise Shot
7 (Level)- Clustered Shot
9 (Level) - Improved Critical
11 (Level) - Improved Precise Shot

SKILLS (46 points):


Nice enough, though I'd hope you have more gear than that by the time 12th level rolls around. You'll probably be wearing a belt of dexterity and lighter armor at least.


avr wrote:
Nice enough, though I'd hope you have more gear than that by the time 12th level rolls around. You'll probably be wearing a belt of dexterity and lighter armor at least.

Yes I can guarantee I would.

Two more Questions

1. Channel Positive Energy?

- Is it worth taking one of the Variant Channeling abilities; Air, Charm, Good, Luck, or Protection in particular?

2. Double Barrel Musket. If I get 3 Attacks from my BAB, does that mean I can fire 6 alchemical shots?


I don't think you'll be using offensive channeling often with 12 Wis and a much-delayed progression, and healing variant channeling won't give big bonuses either. Luck might be useful once in a blue moon? It's not a big deal taking it or not though.

Double-barreled muskets can fire twice as a standard action but don't double your attacks on a full attack. I can't remember when that nerf hit but it's justified IMO.


Do you think there are any Alternate Racial Traits that are worth swapping skilled for?


Draconic heritage might be worthwhile, being able to see in the dark can be especially important for a ranged weapon user.


avr wrote:
Draconic heritage might be worthwhile, being able to see in the dark can be especially important for a ranged weapon user.

You think only 10ft of Darkvision is worth it?

Draconic Heritage, has given me thoughts. Are there any good Eldritich Heritage Bloodlines for a Gunslinger/Paladin? After level 11, I am pretty open with feats. I see possibilities in the following four bloodlines

  • Stormborn
  • Martyred
  • Destined
  • Boreal


It's darkvision 10' and low light (which doubles the effective radius of your light source), not just darkvision. And even 10' is useful if you're trying to sneak thru the darkness without a betraying light. I mean, it's not essential, you may find the skill point more useful but it is an option.

Eldritch heritage...you'd need three feats (skill focus, EH, IEH) but the phoenix bloodline could give you 60' (good) flight all day which is pretty solid. You could instead delve into lay on hands feats or critical feats or the less commonly useful ranged feats, or various feats that use Cha at that point.


So I could take

Draconic Heritage (4 RP): At times, a human’s family history can have a dragon’s power bound to the bloodline. Humans with this trait gain darkvision with a range of 10 feet and low-light vision. They can also ignore the Charisma prerequisite for Eldritch Heritage and any feat that has Eldritch Heritage as a prerequisite, but can select only the draconic bloodline with these feats. This replaces the bonus skill rank humans receive at each level.

Then from level 11 take Improved Eldritch Heritage (Draconic Resistances) and then wings with Greater Eldritch Heritage from level 17. Skipping the need for Skill Focus or Eldritch Heritage entirely?


reading thread name, have flashbacks


Minigiant wrote:

So I could take

Draconic Heritage (4 RP): At times, a human’s family history can have a dragon’s power bound to the bloodline. Humans with this trait gain darkvision with a range of 10 feet and low-light vision. They can also ignore the Charisma prerequisite for Eldritch Heritage and any feat that has Eldritch Heritage as a prerequisite, but can select only the draconic bloodline with these feats. This replaces the bonus skill rank humans receive at each level.

Then from level 11 take Improved Eldritch Heritage (Draconic Resistances) and then wings with Greater Eldritch Heritage from level 17. Skipping the need for Skill Focus or Eldritch Heritage entirely?

The way I read it you could skip the charisma prereqs but not skill focus or the first eldritch heritage feat.

If you take draconic heritage then eldritch heritage is not a good feat line for you IMO.


avr wrote:
Minigiant wrote:

So I could take

Draconic Heritage (4 RP): At times, a human’s family history can have a dragon’s power bound to the bloodline. Humans with this trait gain darkvision with a range of 10 feet and low-light vision. They can also ignore the Charisma prerequisite for Eldritch Heritage and any feat that has Eldritch Heritage as a prerequisite, but can select only the draconic bloodline with these feats. This replaces the bonus skill rank humans receive at each level.

Then from level 11 take Improved Eldritch Heritage (Draconic Resistances) and then wings with Greater Eldritch Heritage from level 17. Skipping the need for Skill Focus or Eldritch Heritage entirely?

The way I read it you could skip the charisma prereqs but not skill focus or the first eldritch heritage feat.

If you take draconic heritage then eldritch heritage is not a good feat line for you IMO.

You are probably right but, you can see where I was getting that interpretation. "any feat that has Eldritch Heritage as a prerequisite" Improved Eldritch Heritage has Eldritch Heritage as a Prerequisite.

I just thought if it was that reading, I could get the flying like you suggested with the Phoenix bloodline, as well as a more beneficial 2nd bloodline power on top of Darkvision & Low-Light Vision


I parse it as 'ignore the Charisma prerequisite for {Eldritch Heritage and any feat that has Eldritch Heritage as a prerequisite}'. A skim might read it as somehow bypassing EH itself, but I can't make it work that way when reading it carefully.


avr wrote:
I parse it as 'ignore the Charisma prerequisite for {Eldritch Heritage and any feat that has Eldritch Heritage as a prerequisite}'. A skim might read it as somehow bypassing EH itself, but I can't make it work that way when reading it carefully.

I agree with you. Just makes it that Draconic Bloodline is most definetly not for me. Those Claws would be useless.

I think I need to write down every single viable Feat and way up the pros and cons

List so far:

Hammer the Gap
Martial Focus
Skill Focus - Eldritch Heritage ....
Critical Focus
- Critical, Stunning
- Critical, Staggering
- Critical, Blinding
Far Shot
Improved Lay on Hands
Extra Lay on Hands
Iron Will


Extra mercy & ultimate mercy are some other LoH feats.

Circuitous shot, aquadynamic shot, ranged disarm, ace disarm, ranged trip, ace trip, relentless shot and burrowing shot are some more obscure ranged feats. Why yes there are a lot of ranged feats.

Amateur swashbuckler (dodging panache) is a means of getting out of melee quickly and also increasing the maximum size of your grit/panache pool.


avr wrote:

Extra mercy & ultimate mercy are some other LoH feats.

I loose my Mercies with Virtuous Bravo Archetype in return for Nimble (That stacks with Gunslinger)

avr wrote:


Circuitous shot, aquadynamic shot, ranged disarm, ace disarm, ranged trip, ace trip, relentless shot and burrowing shot are some more obscure ranged feats. Why yes there are a lot of ranged feats.

These are great thank you. I will give them all a read

avr wrote:


Amateur swashbuckler (dodging panache) is a means of getting out of melee quickly and also increasing the maximum size of your grit/panache pool.

I get dodging Panache already

Actually these are all the Deeds I get, and at what level:

**DEEDS**

1st - Steady Aim

1st - Deadeye

1st - Quick Clear

3rd - Gunslinger's Initiative

3rd - Pistol Whip

3rd - Fast Musket

9th - Dodging Panache

9th - Swashbuckler's Initiative

16th - Evasion

16th - Swashbucklers Grace

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Divine Gunslinger - The Machine Gun Preacher All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.