PFS2 1-13 Devil at the Crossroads


GM Discussion

Liberty's Edge

I am prepping to run Devil at the Crossroads and in the scenario, a villain's tactics include casting Silence at 2nd level on a caster in the party. However, the target for Silence in 2e is listed as "1 willing creature."

My plan is to just choose different actions for them that round, since the party will not be a legal target for Silence, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what was intended, or has another idea.

2/5 5/5

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber

I expect this is another example of authors/editors experiencing version-confusion where they think they know how a spell works in PF2 but are remembering PF1.

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka thistledown

Could you maybe not bake the bodies into the maps on a murder mystery?

Dark Archive 3/5 Venture-Captain, Colorado—Denver aka masterslate

1) Why does the low subtier adjustments for C. contain 16-18 Challenge Points?
2) The creature shows "small" in it's tags, yet it is described as "Their shared body warps into a 7-foot-tall infernal monster with black, feathery wings, gnarled horns, and cloven hooves. " I think this is safe to assume should have been medium, not small.
3) Encounter C -- I believe the map itself should be a lot bigger, since the dais is 20 feet high and there's no way the party and all the enemies could easily fit on that map. I'll be putting it on top of a 20x20 ish square area.
4) The last treasure bundle listed in the treasure bundle list says B9, page 15. Should read B11, page 15.

5/5

As far as I can tell the map for the last encounter is dropped onto the main map for the outpost.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Zach Armstrong wrote:
1) Why does the low subtier adjustments for C. contain 16-18 Challenge Points?

This is the new scaling that is easier on large parties of low-level characters. When the party is only hitting the high tier CP due to number of players, they should play down. This approach was started in #1-12.

Silver Crusade 5/5 5/5

Just played. GMs beware, ran quite long since we players actually tried to roleplay and stuff. Silly players.

Oh, and the final encounter is one heck of a beast

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka thistledown

At our convention this weekend, I noticed that at least 2 slots of this ran over time there as well.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Missouri—Columbia aka Xathos of Varisia

Elvish_Pressedleaf wrote:

I am prepping to run Devil at the Crossroads and in the scenario, a villain's tactics include casting Silence at 2nd level on a caster in the party. However, the target for Silence in 2e is listed as "1 willing creature."

My plan is to just choose different actions for them that round, since the party will not be a legal target for Silence, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what was intended, or has another idea.

I am not satisfied with what Silence has become. That was a very good spell that now seems to be useless in silencing spellcasters. I feel that the Ascendant should have Darkness available. That would be very effective in mitigating some characters' attacks.

Silver Crusade 5/5 5/5

Xathos of Varisia wrote:
Elvish_Pressedleaf wrote:

I am prepping to run Devil at the Crossroads and in the scenario, a villain's tactics include casting Silence at 2nd level on a caster in the party. However, the target for Silence in 2e is listed as "1 willing creature."

My plan is to just choose different actions for them that round, since the party will not be a legal target for Silence, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what was intended, or has another idea.

I am not satisfied with what Silence has become. That was a very good spell that now seems to be useless in silencing spellcasters. I feel that the Ascendant should have Darkness available. That would be very effective in mitigating some characters' attacks.

The Ascendant REALLY REALLY REALLY does NOT NOT NOT need buffing up. It is already quite overpowered thank you very much.

Dark Archive 3/5 Venture-Captain, Colorado—Denver aka masterslate

James Anderson wrote:
At our convention this weekend, I noticed that at least 2 slots of this ran over time there as well.

Same here. I GM'd it twice. Once went for 5 hours and I had to trim it because the next slot was about to start. The other was the last day of the con and I still had to trim it since we were at 6 hours.

Dark Archive 3/5 Venture-Captain, Colorado—Denver aka masterslate

logsig wrote:
Zach Armstrong wrote:
1) Why does the low subtier adjustments for C. contain 16-18 Challenge Points?

This is the new scaling that is easier on large parties of low-level characters. When the party is only hitting the high tier CP due to number of players, they should play down. This approach was started in #1-12.

Thanks -- was this new scaling mentioned somewhere and I just missed it?


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Zach Armstrong wrote:
Thanks -- was this new scaling mentioned somewhere and I just missed it?

It appeared in 1-12 without much fanfare. But there are posts drawing attention to it in this forum, as soon as it came out, and M. Sayre talks about it in several places, e.g. here.

------------------

Anyway, with regard to runtime, here're some more (arguably useless) anecdotes.

I ran this scenario twice face-to-face - the first in low subtier with 4 players (levels 3, 4, 5, 5) and the second just barely into high subtier under the new scaling, with 7 players (levels 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5).

The low subtier 4-player table ran a little bit more than 3 hours and they killed the BBEG. 3 to 3.5 hours is exactly the average runtime I expect when running a table of fewer than 7 players.

The barely-high subtier 7-player table ran 5 hours and they only wore down about half the BBEG's HP before the 8th-round timer kicked in to end that combat. 5 hours is noticeably longer than the average I expect, even when running for a 7-player table, which is not uncommon in my venue.

Silver Crusade 5/5 5/5

logsig wrote:

I ran this scenario twice face-to-face - the first in low subtier with 4 players (levels 3, 4, 5, 5)

I suspect that there are 2 reasons our session went a lot longer than yours

1) we "wasted" a lot of time on the roleplaying, leaving us rushed. If either the GM pushed things or the players weren't as engaged a lot less time could be spent here

2) we were a 3,4,4,5 party. Your party is in the same challenge point bracket but likely noticeably stronger. 4th to 5th is a MAJOR bump for lots of characters (stat boosts and 3rd level spells)

2/5

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

When i Gm it, i have rushed the last hour since they were no encounter left except the final fight with is invenitable even with the best plan. I would have like to handweave it since they have done their best for this not happening. I have remark that the ritual will destroy the place so locking the guest is not a good idea.

I also wondering if the guest were also fighting.

My players have leave the final fight with frustration. I was critting almost always the champion and the priests where trying to save her.

At the end, i decided to jest my player and making their action all for nothing. (Revealing the aoe after they came all and then reveal it can just fly just before it is exploding) next time. i will fly and hit those who are more vulnerable (but still have hero point).

They have leave very angry at this fight (and the escape at the end)
They all survived.

I really wish we had a section where the author says his intention. That could help a lot.

Dark Archive 3/5 Venture-Captain, Colorado—Denver aka masterslate

logsig wrote:


It appeared in 1-12 without much fanfare. But there are posts drawing attention to it in this forum, as soon as it came out, and M. Sayre talks about it in several places, e.g. here.

Awesome, thanks!

logsig wrote:


The low subtier 4-player table ran a little bit more than 3 hours...

The barely-high subtier 7-player table ran 5 hours...

How!? Were the social bits super short? It's a mystery scenario, and I ran it with a lot of investigation, conversations and discovery as they search the inn. Also the poltergeist encounter took a long time, both times. That thing hits hard and hits for a lot of damage. The boss fight also takes forever because she has the advantage of high ground. It took most players over 1 round just to climb up to her, just to get smacked really hard, or hit by some wings or spells.

2/5

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
pauljathome wrote:
logsig wrote:

I ran this scenario twice face-to-face - the first in low subtier with 4 players (levels 3, 4, 5, 5)

I suspect that there are 2 reasons our session went a lot longer than yours

1) we "wasted" a lot of time on the roleplaying, leaving us rushed. If either the GM pushed things or the players weren't as engaged a lot less time could be spent here

2) we were a 3,4,4,5 party. Your party is in the same challenge point bracket but likely noticeably stronger. 4th to 5th is a MAJOR bump for lots of characters (stat boosts and 3rd level spells)

(The gm)

You had one champion 5, two priest 3,4 and a bard 5. Not a lot of firepower also.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / GM Discussion / PFS2 1-13 Devil at the Crossroads All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in GM Discussion