Who works the Grand Lodge's Repository now that slavery no longer exists in Absolom?


Lost Omens Campaign Setting General Discussion


1 person marked this as a favorite.
PFSFG wrote:
Within the Repository’s walls, 66 tongueless criminals purchased from Absalom’s courts labor constantly under powerful geases to transcribe and illuminate approved reports from Pathfinders to produce new editions of the Pathfinder Chronicles for distribution around the world.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Pathfinder Society: Field Guide is from July 2011, so before slavery was abolished.

There are canonically printing presses in the large wealthy nations surrounding the inner sea, so I doubt you'll ever see that pretty creepy sentence ever mentioned again tbh.

They are just printed now, cruelty free. Is my guess.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

That's possible.

Alternatively, the freeing of slaves may not apply in the normal way to those serving out some sort of criminal sentence. Slavery is illegal in the modern United States but prisoners are often still used for forced labor in one way or another.

It's very possible the only change in those criminals' lives is that they now receive some sort of nominal wage for their services. What they'd spend such a wage on is an interesting question...

Shadow Lodge

vagrant-poet wrote:
They are just printed now, cruelty free. Is my guess.

Why would you guess that? Just because slavery was abolished doesn't mean all the slaveholders and quasi-slaveholders actually gave up their bonded labor. Or didn't find new ways to maintain it. Particularly in the case of prisoners, who can be compelled to labor by the state. Geases may also be legally distinct from slavery.

Dark Archive

Creepy thing about geas is that you HAVE to accept it in order it to work. So uh, I guess in a way they could have accepted role of tonguelessness gear writers in exchange for lesser punishment to what they were going to get?

Either way creepy


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
CorvusMask wrote:

Creepy thing about geas is that you HAVE to accept it in order it to work. So uh, I guess in a way they could have accepted role of tonguelessness gear writers in exchange for lesser punishment to what they were going to get?

Either way creepy

The 5th level version and up of the Geas Ritual can be done on unwilling targets, in case you needed to know.


The Society does have ready access to Regenerate, so it could have used that at the end of the sentence. That defeats the point of them not talking though. It also defeats the point of during the sentence either since anyone who really wanted to know could just teleport them away, regenerate them and compel them to talk. Man that sentence that gets weirder the more you think about it.

vagrant-poet wrote:
Pathfinder Society: Field Guide is from July 2011, so before slavery was abolished.

Hence why the title says "now that slavery no longer exists in Absolom? ".


The Pathfinder Society has a great deal of wealth and influence, especially in Absalom. Even if the Repository criminals are being treated illegally, the society almost certainly have the resources to bribe politicians and law enforcement to turn a blind eye or legislate an exception for them.


Indentured labour as a part of a criminal sentence isn't considered slavery in most legal systems (though it probably is essentially the same thing in practical terms).

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
deuxhero wrote:

The Society does have ready access to Regenerate, so it could have used that at the end of the sentence. That defeats the point of them not talking though. It also defeats the point of during the sentence either since anyone who really wanted to know could just teleport them away, regenerate them and compel them to talk. Man that sentence that gets weirder the more you think about it.

vagrant-poet wrote:
Pathfinder Society: Field Guide is from July 2011, so before slavery was abolished.
Hence why the title says "now that slavery no longer exists in Absolom? ".

Is this a "I'm genuinely interested in the setting" question or is it a "I want to kick the hornet's nest a bit" question? Because if it was the former, you'd notice that the city is called Absalom, not Absolom.


Gorbacz wrote:
deuxhero wrote:

The Society does have ready access to Regenerate, so it could have used that at the end of the sentence. That defeats the point of them not talking though. It also defeats the point of during the sentence either since anyone who really wanted to know could just teleport them away, regenerate them and compel them to talk. Man that sentence that gets weirder the more you think about it.

vagrant-poet wrote:
Pathfinder Society: Field Guide is from July 2011, so before slavery was abolished.
Hence why the title says "now that slavery no longer exists in Absolom? ".
Is this a "I'm genuinely interested in the setting" question or is it a "I want to kick the hornet's nest a bit" question? Because if it was the former, you'd notice that the city is called Absalom, not Absolom.

I wouldn't read too much into minor spelling mistakes, especially given how prone to weird typos people can get when posting from their phones.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

You mean all those people who ask Eric Monna about some obscure detail from Golerion's lore? Yeah...

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / General Discussion / Who works the Grand Lodge's Repository now that slavery no longer exists in Absolom? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.