Ratfolk: Gun-Chemist can some Review what i have so far and advise me on the future of the build


Advice


Gowing Ratfolk as I really don't want to play a human (I'm a sucker for the extra feat)
And no one in the group has been a ratfolk before so it seemed fun

I was going play a pirate / party face but was asked to reconsider as a new player wants to go down that route.

So far here is my build

Rats:
Name: Want something German
Race: Ratfolk
Class:Gun-Chemist (3)

Stats: STR: 10 Dex 18 CON 12 INT 18 WIS 12 CHA 7 (Stats are base on a 20 point buy after racial Adjustments)

Character / Racial Traits
Taking Scent
Taking Defensive Strategist
Taking Pragmatic Activator

Feats
LV (1) - Point Blank Shot? Not sure as I plan to use a dragon pistol
LV (3) - Unsure Maybe extra Discovery

Discovery Lv 2 smoke Bomb Lv 3 Explosive missle.


I'd suggest looking at a paddle-foot pistol. The range is better and you don't need to reload immediately after firing.

As a primarily missile weapon using character precise shot is required, which means point blank shot is required.

Explosive missile requires L4.

Chemical stability (gun chemist specific discovery) has no minimum level and it'd be better having it take up a low level slot than a high level one, and you will want it eventually.

Unless and until you get exploding bullet (another min L4 discovery) anything which requires a splash effect doesn't work. And exploding bullet is marked with a star which means it won't work with most such, including smoke bomb. Can that idea.


avr wrote:

I'd suggest looking at a paddle-foot pistol. The range is better and you don't need to reload immediately after firing.

As a primarily missile weapon using character precise shot is required, which means point blank shot is required.

Explosive missile requires L4.

Chemical stability (gun chemist specific discovery) has no minimum level and it'd be better having it take up a low level slot than a high level one, and you will want it eventually.

Unless and until you get exploding bullet (another min L4 discovery) anything which requires a splash effect doesn't work. And exploding bullet is marked with a star which means it won't work with most such, including smoke bomb. Can that idea.

Well how do you think I should set my Feats ands discovries.?


Like I said, at the start
1: point blank shot
Gun chemist 1: gunsmithing
Discovery 2: chemical stability
3: precise shot

If you're going to ~11 then perhaps

Spoiler:
Discovery 4: sand bomb (or tanglefoot bomb perhaps - a debuff)
5: rapid shot
Discovery 6: acid bomb (or some other damage type; an option that isn't fire anyway)
Gun chemist 6: rapid reload (paddle-foot pistol)
7: maybe extra discovery (spontaneous healing), or iron will, or some other defence against whatever's been the greatest danger this campaign.
Discovery 8: fast ordnance
9: weapon focus (paddle-foot pistol)
Discovery 10: cognatogen
11: overwatch style

If you don't like readied actions consider combat expertise + second chance for your last 2 feats.


Note that you can use alchemical cartridges and remember to use the cartridge savant ability from the archetype.

Egan (Ay-gahn) is a German name meaning 'fiery'. Not many English-speakers are likely to know the connotations of German names of course. You might follow it up with something in English, Egan Firehand or something like that.

Shadow Lodge

Don't remember how GunChemist works, but you should also look at the Gulch Gunner as a one-level dip.

And get a tail-knife.


thistledown wrote:

Don't remember how GunChemist works, but you should also look at the Gulch Gunner as a one-level dip.

And get a tail-knife.

can you explain why for the Dip?


avr wrote:

Like I said, at the start

1: point blank shot
Gun chemist 1: gunsmithing
Discovery 2: chemical stability
3: precise shot

If you're going to ~11 then perhaps
** spoiler omitted **
Note that you can use alchemical cartridges and remember to use the cartridge savant ability from the archetype.

Egan (Ay-gahn) is a German name meaning 'fiery'. Not many English-speakers are likely to know the connotations of German names of course. You might follow it up with something in English, Egan Firehand or something like that.

@ AVR. maybe i'll just make a Bomb thrower.

I kinda want to make a character who debuffs the enemy


avr wrote:

Like I said, at the start

1: point blank shot
Gun chemist 1: gunsmithing
Discovery 2: chemical stability
3: precise shot

If you're going to ~11 then perhaps
** spoiler omitted **
Note that you can use alchemical cartridges and remember to use the cartridge savant ability from the archetype.

Egan (Ay-gahn) is a German name meaning 'fiery'. Not many English-speakers are likely to know the connotations of German names of course. You might follow it up with something in English, Egan Firehand or something like that.

@ AVR. maybe i'll just make a Bomb thrower.

I kinda want to make a character who debuffs the enemy

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Ratfolk: Gun-Chemist can some Review what i have so far and advise me on the future of the build All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.