Quick Draw


Rules Discussion


Can a rogue with quick draw draw and throw three bombs per round?


Bombs are weapons, so yes.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Of course. Quick draw doesn't have any traits that would prevent you from using it 3 times, if that's what you want to do with your actions.


Follow up question. I see where it says alchemical bombs are martial thrown weapons. Does a rogue need to gain proficiency in throwing those somehow? Or is everyone considered trained in lobbing stuff at people.


They would need to take the proficiency feat, though I think Alchemist is a great archetype for a rogue. sneak attack energy damage is cool


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I believe that you would be untrained in them, which is a problem. I'm a little unsure because improvised weapons are counted as simple weapons with a -2 penalty, so your rogue would be have better accuracy throwing a stool than s bomb, and that seems weird.

Sovereign Court

The Alchemist Multiclass is highly recommended if you do this; it gives you some free bombs per day and makes you trained in bombs. Solve two problems with one pot of universal solvent.


Just a question towards quick bomber and quick draw.

Quote:

PFS Legal Quick Bomber Single ActionFeat 1

Alchemist
Source Core Rulebook pg. 76
You keep your bombs in easy-to-reach pouches from which you draw without thinking. You Interact to draw a bomb, then Strike with it.

I know both feats does not have the manipulate trait, but since they state "you interact" it means that you use the action as an interact action?

Quote:

Interact Single Action

Manipulate
Source Core Rulebook pg. 470
You use your hand or hands to manipulate an object or the terrain. You can grab an unattended or stored object, open a door, or produce some similar effect. You might have to attempt a skill check to determine if your Interact action was successful.

So are them both action that provoke aoo?

Normally a person would have said "you draw a bomb, then Strike with it", and not "you interact to draw a bomb".

Why point it out?

Is it possibld that a previous version of those feat had the manipulate trait and they simply forget to edit the description when they removed it?

Or the draw action actually provoke aoo?


HumbleGamer wrote:

Just a question towards quick bomber and quick draw.

Quote:

PFS Legal Quick Bomber Single ActionFeat 1

Alchemist
Source Core Rulebook pg. 76
You keep your bombs in easy-to-reach pouches from which you draw without thinking. You Interact to draw a bomb, then Strike with it.

I know both feats does not have the manipulate trait, but since they state "you interact" it means that you use the action as an interact action?

Quote:

Interact Single Action

Manipulate
Source Core Rulebook pg. 470
You use your hand or hands to manipulate an object or the terrain. You can grab an unattended or stored object, open a door, or produce some similar effect. You might have to attempt a skill check to determine if your Interact action was successful.

So are them both action that provoke aoo?

Normally a person would have said "you draw a bomb, then Strike with it", and not "you interact to draw a bomb".

Why point it out?

Is it possibld that a previous version of those feat had the manipulate trait and they simply forget to edit the description when they removed it?

Or the draw action actually provoke aoo?

My reading indicates that Quick Bomb would be an Activity and not a stand alone action. So you interact to draw the bomb, then strike with it, which could technically provoke 2 AoO's, one for the interact and another for the Ranged attack. That does require the creature to have access to multiple reactions however.

CRB PG. 462 "Subordinate Actions" wrote:

An action might allow you to use a simpler action—usually

one of the Basic Actions on page 469—in a different
circumstance or with different effects. This subordinate
action still has its normal traits and effects, but is modified
in any ways listed in the larger action. For example, an
activity that tells you to Stride up to half your Speed
alters the normal distance you can move in a Stride. The
Stride would still have the move trait, would still trigger
reactions that occur based on movement, and so on.
The
subordinate action doesn’t gain any of the traits of the
larger action unless specified. The action that allows you to
use a subordinate action doesn’t require you to spend more
actions or reactions to do so; that cost is already factored in.


Yeah, I totally agree with your reasoning beowulf.


Drawing a weapon provokes AoO anyway.


SuperBidi wrote:
Drawing a weapon provokes AoO anyway.

Which is exactly what I said. The question was if the "interact" in quick bomb would provoke, even though Quick Bomb itself does not have the Manipulate trait.

The answer was yes.


Ho, true, I misunderstood the question.


beowulf99 wrote:
SuperBidi wrote:
Drawing a weapon provokes AoO anyway.

Which is exactly what I said. The question was if the "interact" in quick bomb would provoke, even though Quick Bomb itself does not have the Manipulate trait.

The answer was yes.

The Interact action has the Manipulate trait and, thus, may provoke an AoO.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
SuperBidi wrote:
Drawing a weapon provokes AoO anyway.

I've been looking for clarification on this as Jason Bulmahn said that drawing a weapon does not provoke in one of the Season 1 episodes of Knights of Everflame. RAW is pretty clear, but I'm want to know if that was a misspeak or RAI that needs to be confirmed.


Is there a particular reason to believe it's more likely Mr. Bulmahn wasn't making a mistake than it is likely he was making a mistake?


thenobledrake wrote:
Is there a particular reason to believe it's more likely Mr. Bulmahn wasn't making a mistake than it is likely he was making a mistake?

Jason might have been wrong by RAW, but that could be a good indicator that this isn't working as intended. The designers might have overlooked this particular interaction. Drawing a weapon and using the parry trait of a weapon both provoke as currently written. The former feels off, but the latter is REALLY weird. Definitely something I'm going to house rule until we get clarification.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Captain Morgan wrote:
thenobledrake wrote:
Is there a particular reason to believe it's more likely Mr. Bulmahn wasn't making a mistake than it is likely he was making a mistake?
Jason might have been wrong by RAW, but that could be a good indicator that this isn't working as intended. The designers might have overlooked this particular interaction. Drawing a weapon and using the parry trait of a weapon both provoke as currently written. The former feels off, but the latter is REALLY weird. Definitely something I'm going to house rule until we get clarification.

Yeah, I signaled this when the book first came out but most people just shrugged - probably still digesting the bulk of the book. But it's a houserule target for me too.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / Quick Draw All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.