COM: Medic over heal question


Rules Questions


15 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.

When overhealing to Stam with the Medic out of COM do you have to heal HP first before you are allowed to over heal?

Meaning if I have no real HP damage can a medic just heal my stamina?

Sovereign Court

I don't know and I want to know. Flagged for FAQ.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, I want to know as well. My first impression was that it shouldn't work if there is no HP damage to be healed, because the stamina healing is a byproduct of the HP healing, not an effect in and of itself. But I'm not sure.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber

As a GM, sure, you can. This is how I rule: You can heal The target directly into stamina if the target is already full on HP.
You are reading to much into the ability, when you say it cannot. If not, you could get around it by injuring the target until he gets into HP and then heal him, So that the superfluous healing will spill over into stamina, but that would be ridiculous and makes little sense.


If you can't everyones just going to poke themselves with a point of bleed. lose one HP and be ready to ride the HP train into staminia central.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
If you can't everyones just going to poke themselves with a point of bleed. lose one HP and be ready to ride the HP train into staminia central.

I honestly doubt people would do this, for suspension of disbelief reasons if nothing else. It's like starting a housefire because you want to flirt with firefighters.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dracomicron wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
If you can't everyones just going to poke themselves with a point of bleed. lose one HP and be ready to ride the HP train into staminia central.
I honestly doubt people would do this, for suspension of disbelief reasons if nothing else. It's like starting a housefire because you want to flirt with firefighters.

You know that there's quite a couple of fire departments that put out naked calendars as fundraisers...


Ascalaphus wrote:

You know that there's quite a couple of fire departments that put out naked calendars as fundraisers...

I'm aware. The point is that burning down the house to meet firefighters doesn't seem like a worthwhile activity (just troll their social media like a normal person, jeez). Injuring yourself to get Stamina from an over-heal, similarly, seems like an excessive gaming of the system that most people wouldn't do...especially when stamina healing normally just costs a Resolve and ten minutes.


Dracomicron wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
If you can't everyones just going to poke themselves with a point of bleed. lose one HP and be ready to ride the HP train into staminia central.
I honestly doubt people would do this, for suspension of disbelief reasons if nothing else. It's like starting a housefire because you want to flirt with firefighters.

It's less burning down the house and more setting off the smoke detector. At first level maybe 9 hp instead of 10 is a problem. 54 vs 55 hp.. not so much


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

That all only applies if the GM allows it. I, certainly, would not allow it, and would punish the PCs if they persisted in such flagrant abuse.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Here is what the test says, exactly:

Whenever you use equipment or one of your abilities
to restore Hit Points to a creature, any surplus healing beyond that required to restore the creature to its maximum Hit Points restores that many Stamina Points to the creature.

Ok, so the ability specifically says, that surplus healing goes into Stamina points. It does not actually say that the spill-over is contingent that there be hit points healed in order for the ability to work. Why should that be a thing?


Nimor Starseeker wrote:


Ok, so the ability specifically says, that surplus healing goes into Stamina points. It does not actually say that the spill-over is contingent that there be hit points healed in order for the ability to work. Why should that be a thing?

If I pour a 3d8 healing potion down the Vesks throat when he's down 30 staminia and zero hp

I am using an ability to restore hp (the healing potion) hp are filled so it goes to staminia.

Turn the page sideways and read it the other way

*****

Whenever you use equipment or one of your abilities
to restore Hit Points to a creature

I did not restore any HP to the vesk, so the clause transfering it to staminia doesn't engage.

you can get either meaning out of the words there.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber

BNW- Thanks for the feedback! Ok, you are clear by the way things are written, that you can interpret both ways.
However, the latter interpretation seems so unreasonable, that I cannot fathom that being intentional. Here is an example of showing why:

Example: I have 2 soldiers A and B.

-Soldier A, is at full 9 HP and under the latter interpretation cannot receive the doctor’s treatment, because the clause is not present.

-Soldier B, is at 8 of 9 HP and can receive the doctors treatment because the conditions are met, so he will benefit any surplus healing.

Just a single hp separates these two soldiers from receiving the doctor’s treatment. Ask yourself, why should that be a condition? It is not abusive to the game mechanics. If it is, please show me how?
Furthermore I think that the intention of Doctors treatment is that you can heal on top of Stamina as wel. using items and magic when players want to avoid using RP or don’t have the RP or time to rest and heal up.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Lead Designer

4 people marked this as a favorite.
jim reynolds 283 wrote:
When overhealing to Stam with the Medic out of COM do you have to heal HP first before you are allowed to over heal?

Yep!


Joe Pasini wrote:
jim reynolds 283 wrote:
When overhealing to Stam with the Medic out of COM do you have to heal HP first before you are allowed to over heal?
Yep!

Energy ray is useful!


Xenocrat wrote:
Joe Pasini wrote:
jim reynolds 283 wrote:
When overhealing to Stam with the Medic out of COM do you have to heal HP first before you are allowed to over heal?
Yep!
Energy ray is useful!

In a very, very limited circumstance where you have full HP but 0 or nearly 0 Stamina. In which case why not just spend the RP to get all your SP back after the fight?


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I'm not about to say that energy ray application is something you would use all the time. Or that it is something everyone would ever consider in-character.

But I will say that having no enemies left in front of you has deinitely not always meant that reinforcements were 10 minutes or more away, in my play experience.


Dracomicron wrote:
Xenocrat wrote:
Joe Pasini wrote:
jim reynolds 283 wrote:
When overhealing to Stam with the Medic out of COM do you have to heal HP first before you are allowed to over heal?
Yep!
Energy ray is useful!
In a very, very limited circumstance where you have full HP but 0 or nearly 0 Stamina. In which case why not just spend the RP to get all your SP back after the fight?

Spells, treat deadly wounds, and serums can be a cheaper resource than RP and time in some circumstances.

Although only spells or the COM boosted medicine Envoy will be relevant to this trick after the earliest levels.


Dracomicron wrote:


In a very, very limited circumstance where you have full HP but 0 or nearly 0 Stamina. In which case why not just spend the RP to get all your SP back after the fight?

Agree that it is rare for a PC to be out of stamina and be at full health.

I can see it being useful during combat to give back healing and SP and out of combat if the PCs are low on RP.

I know my players are very reluctant to spend more than 75% of their RP because they want the 25% needed to stabilize.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Joe Pasini wrote:
jim reynolds 283 wrote:
When overhealing to Stam with the Medic out of COM do you have to heal HP first before you are allowed to over heal?
Yep!

Im so glad you sorted this out for us. Thanks for getting back to us all in the forums : )

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Rules Questions / COM: Medic over heal question All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.