Homebrew 5e Style Prepared Casters (The Mage and the Vicar)


Homebrew and House Rules


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I am prepping to run Curse of the Crimson Throne in PF2 for family and friends starting in mid December. The players playing the casters prefer 5e casting mechanics and voiced displeasure with the strict Vancian casting.

Being a lover of homebrew, an understanding DM and not terribly fond of strict Vancian casting myself, I came up with some alternate casting classes for them.

The gist:
Like 5e, players get spells prepared equal to Spell mod plus level. They get spell slots like it shows in the class sections. Casting a prepped spell uses up the slot not the spell.

Alot of modification had to go into the Wizard replacement (the Mage) due to alot of feats relying on preparation and Arcane Bond. I went through all the Wiz feats and mucked about with them and removed some.

For the Cleric player I made the Vicar. Same basic gist as the Mage. I went further and merged aspects of the Cloistered Cleric and the War Priest. I made the class more like the base 5e Cleric (Medium Armor + Good Spellcasting, not so great at melee) since thats what the player wanted and I didn't think it would hurt party balance. I modded a few feats too for the heck of it.

I posted this on Reddit. Vote count ended up at 0/1 due to getting equal amounts of up and down votes. I saw people were voting often too since I saw the numbers jump around at different parts of the day. I see why Paizo went with classic Vancian for PF2. If they would have done anything like 5e casting, something I advocated for often during the playtest, people would have rioted.

Anywho for those interested here are the files. I have included the InDesign files for folks who want to make their own stuff:

The Mage (PDF)
The Mage (InDesign)
The Vicar (PDF)
The Vicar (InDesign)

This clearly means you would need to do something for Spontaneous Casters if any of your players wanted to play one. I would let them treat all their spells as Signature Spells. Maybe also do their spells known as Spell mod plus level too if you think the everything is a Signature Spell thing is too good. Or not. Who knows. I haven't thought about it too much since none of my players want to be a Bard or Sorcerer. *shrug*

As far as martial/caster disparity, I don't really think giving casters more flexibility is a bad thing. The spells are still heavily nerfed compared to 3.X and absolutely weaker than 5E, so I am not terribly concerned.

Anywho, even if you hate it, I hope the InDesign files are of use to you.

Have a good night folks.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I unfortunately don't have InDesign, but the pdf's look great! Very professional looking.

I gave Spontaneous casters auto-Signature Spell for all their spells already, but I hadn't really changed a whole lot on the Prepared casters, so this is great.

Any plans to change the Druid too? That's the last prepared caster in the CRB, might as well complete the set!

Thank you so much for your hard work!


Thanks!

I might do the druid later. I have alot of prep to do for my campaign. I have to do some spell/action cards for my players first. I worked it so I can print out these cards on 4x6 cards. I might want to make myself some npc cards too before the campaign starts.

I forgot to mention that the mage has some significant rules changes to how schools work. Needed to work better with the new casting method, imho.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Minor Update: I updated the files a bit. I just cleaned up a few errors like replacing the word "wizard" with "mage" in tags and some places. So, it should look a bit more professional.


Oops. Just noticed some errors in the Vicar pdf. I used the Mage rules as a base, so there are a few things that slipped past (trained in "arcane spells" instead of "divine", etc). I will fix all this stuff when I get back from work tonight.

Sovereign Court

Let me know when you update it and I'll re-download.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ok, did a pass and the major issues should be fixed.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I just downloaded the latest versions, and I found 1 mistake: In the Vicar, pg 7, the feat Domain Focus has the descriptive text from Improved Command Undead.

I want to say that you are one of my favorite fan creators for PF2e. I use your character sheets, and these will now be my go-to versions of the Wizard and Cleric. If there is anything I can do to help with the Druid (maybe called a Shaman?) let me know. I don't have InDesign, as I said, but I could create a pdf (or would a word doc format be easier for you?) of some of my ideas along the same lines as the Vicar and Mage. Maybe it would help fuel your thoughts and creativity on the topic?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks Samurai!

I went ahead and fixed the Vicar again.

As far as collaborating, thanks for the offer but I really want these to be expressions of just what I and my players work to bring to the table. Still, if you ever get InDesign, the files are right there.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hmm, so I made some spell cards and shared them with my group. We collectively decided to go full 5e style casting. Basically, all kinds of casters can just spontaneously heighten their spells.

This was mostly due to ease of use. It will just be less book-keeping to say I have these spells prepped (stack of cards) and I have this many slots (tracker sheet with bubble by level). Thats a much more user friendly set up and that matters alot to me. Sure some slots may be special or this or that but its still less fiddly than memorizing different versions of the same spell.

I think with sorcerers, I will give them spell mod + level spells known but won't count their bloodline spells against the limit. So, they will still have more spells on hand, more slots generally and flexibility that a specialist mage would not.

The bard will just get spell mod + level spells known but their feats already have ways to expand on that and even let them poach spells from other lists.

So, I think it works out and its much more streamlined and less exceptions based.

I have updated the Mage and the Vicar. I will probably make the Sorcerer rules (I will call it a Thaumaturge) next week as a proof of concept.

For reference, the spell cards look like this: LINK (this is my nerfed Electric Arc)

I am still working on the tracker sheet but it will also likely be on a 4x6 card.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Data Lore wrote:

Hmm, so I made some spell cards and shared them with my group. We collectively decided to go full 5e style casting. Basically, all kinds of casters can just spontaneously heighten their spells.

This was mostly due to ease of use. It will just be less book-keeping to say I have these spells prepped (stack of cards) and I have this many slots (tracker sheet with bubble by level). Thats a much more user friendly set up and that matters alot to me. Sure some slots may be special or this or that but its still less fiddly than memorizing different versions of the same spell.

I think with sorcerers, I will give them spell mod + level spells known but won't count their bloodline spells against the limit. So, they will still have more spells on hand, more slots generally and flexibility that a specialist mage would not.

The bard will just get spell mod + level spells known but their feats already have ways to expand on that and even let them poach spells from other lists.

So, I think it works out and its much more streamlined and less exceptions based.

I have updated the Mage and the Vicar. I will probably make the Sorcerer rules (I will call it a Thaumaturge) next week as a proof of concept.

For reference, the spell cards look like this: LINK (this is my nerfed Electric Arc)

I am still working on the tracker sheet but it will also likely be on a 4x6 card.

I love the spell card too, and I like the 3 action option for Electric Arc. My own solution was to have it be a single target spell, but if the target crit failed their save, it leaps to a second target within 30'. If there is no other target, he takes double damage instead.

Do have a list of the spell changes (and any other house rules you've made)? I'd love to see them. If you don't want to post them for the public, I could message you my email address.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think most spells are fine. Most seem a bit weak, honestly. But, with the added flexibility, they should be about right.

Edit: Just saw that you mentioned other house rules. I have a few. They are only for stuff that has come up for me.

1. Simplified Movement. All squares are 5 feet if not in difficult terrain (5e style)
2. Goblins. Rough Rider (ancestry feat): Wolves and goblin dogs you ride gain the Mount trait.
3. Orcs/Half-Orcs. Orc Ferocity (ancestry feat): Now a free action instead of a reaction.
4. Fauchard. Nerfed. Now Advanced.
5. Flickmace. Nerfed. Now deals d6 damage (instead of d8)
6. Rapid Reload. Now a level 2 ranger feat (needed for a player who wanted a specific, non-op ranger build to be possible).

Sovereign Court

Data Lore wrote:

I think most spells are fine. Most seem a bit weak, honestly. But, with the added flexibility, they should be about right.

Edit: Just saw that you mentioned other house rules. I have a few. They are only for stuff that has come up for me.

1. Simplified Movement. All squares are 5 feet if not in difficult terrain (5e style)
2. Goblins. Rough Rider (ancestry feat): Wolves and goblin dogs you ride gain the Mount trait.
3. Orcs/Half-Orcs. Orc Ferocity (ancestry feat): Now a free action instead of a reaction.
4. Fauchard. Nerfed. Now Advanced.
5. Flickmace. Nerfed. Now deals d6 damage (instead of d8)
6. Rapid Reload. Now a level 2 ranger feat (needed for a player who wanted a specific, non-op ranger build to be possible).

I did several of those changes in my own house rules too. The Goblin Rough Rider granting Mount Trait, but only when it becomes large enough for the goblin to actually ride it (Mature Animal), otherwise it would look like a goblin mini-bike, and I lowered the normal flickmace damage to 1d6, but gave it the Two-handed d8 trait so if someone really wanted that d8 they can get it by using both hands.

I also created a Rapid Reload level 3 General feat (so people besides Ranger can get it) that allows the use of a Reaction as 1 action worth of reloading.

Oh, and there is no "Fauchard" listed in the book, it's called a "Filcher's Fork", but it means the same thing


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If you want any feedback on that stuff, here you go. Feel free to ignore otherwise.

Spoiler:

Samurai wrote:
The Goblin Rough Rider granting Mount Trait, but only when it becomes large enough for the goblin to actually ride it (Mature Animal), otherwise it would look like a goblin mini-bike

Not needed, the Mount action states "You are adjacent to a creature that is at least one size larger than you and is willing to be your mount." So, its handled by the action.

Quote:
I lowered the normal flickmace damage to 1d6, but gave it the Two-handed d8 trait so if someone really wanted that d8 they can get it by using both hands.

Adding that two handed property makes it a bit too good, imo. ESPECIALLY with an einhander fighter build. But, I think its a silly weapon and had considered outright saying it didn't exist in my world, so I am hyper biased against it.

Quote:
I also created a Rapid Reload level 3 General feat (so people besides Ranger can get it) that allows the use of a Reaction as 1 action worth of reloading.

I kinda like the ranger having his own special joojoo with the xbow. Niche design is fun, IMO, so I shy away from making class stuff into general stuff. That being said, Rapid Reload is fairly innocuous, so, probably no big deal.


Fauchard is in the Lost Omens book, by the way.

LINK

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Data Lore wrote:

If you want any feedback on that stuff, here you go. Feel free to ignore otherwise.

** spoiler omitted **

I'm always happy to hear feedback comments.

Spoilers:
Not needed, the Mount action states "You are adjacent to a creature that is at least one size larger than you and is willing to be your mount." So, its handled by the action.

True, but you don't typically find wolves as mounts at the town stables. I was thinking of a Ranger's animal companion, which starts at size small. I figured that (or a similar ability) would be the most likely way to use Rough Rider

Adding that two handed property makes it a bit too good, imo. ESPECIALLY with an einhander fighter build. But, I think its a silly weapon and had considered outright saying it didn't exist in my world, so I am hyper biased against it.

I agree, I'd never use it, but I constantly hear how it is the "best weapon in the game", from class build advisors. So I included it as an option in case someone wants a combat yo-yo

I kinda like the ranger having his own special joojoo with the xbow. Niche design is fun, IMO, so I shy away from making class stuff into general stuff. That being said, Rapid Reload is fairly innocuous, so, probably no big deal.So do I. The Rapid Reload general feat is not in place of the Ranger's Running Reload, it in an addition. Characters only get 1 reaction per round, so a Ranger might well decide to wait until 4th level and get Running Reload to combine it with a move. Or he could get both feats and be able to shoot, running reload, shoot again, rapid reload (reaction) all in 1 turn.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Spoiler:

Quote:
True, but you don't typically find wolves as mounts at the town stables. I was thinking of a Ranger's animal companion, which starts at size small. I figured that (or a similar ability) would be the most likely way to use Rough Rider

The Mount action would not allow you to mount anything, even something with the Mount trait (these are different things) that isn't at least one size larger. So, the rule is redundant.

Basically, you don't need to say that you can't mount the small wolf since the rule for the Mount action already doesn't let you mount the small wolf.

Sovereign Court

Data Lore wrote:

Fauchard is in the Lost Omens book, by the way.

LINK

Ahh, thanks, I didn't know about it. It looks very similar to the Glaive. Both are a 1d8, deadly d8, and reach weapon. It just trades forceful for sweep and trip. It is a good weapon, but it's close enough that I can't really see trading one to Advanced without the other. Is it just the number of traits (3 vs 4) that you are basing it on?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Samurai wrote:
Data Lore wrote:

Fauchard is in the Lost Omens book, by the way.

LINK

Ahh, thanks, I didn't know about it. It looks very similar to the Glaive. Both are a 1d8, deadly d8, and reach weapon. It just trades forceful for sweep and trip. It is a good weapon, but it's close enough that I can't really see trading one to Advanced without the other. Is it just the number of traits (3 vs 4) that you are basing it on?

Ya, it is good enough to me to be on par with how other advanced weapons compare to their martial counterparts. Opinions can vary but that's where I landed.

Take a look at the Dwarven Waraxe vs the Bastard Sword, for example. Its just the Sweep trait added on but one is advanced and the other is not.

Sovereign Court

Data Lore wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Data Lore wrote:

Fauchard is in the Lost Omens book, by the way.

LINK

Ahh, thanks, I didn't know about it. It looks very similar to the Glaive. Both are a 1d8, deadly d8, and reach weapon. It just trades forceful for sweep and trip. It is a good weapon, but it's close enough that I can't really see trading one to Advanced without the other. Is it just the number of traits (3 vs 4) that you are basing it on?
Ya, it is good enough to me to be on par with how other advanced weapons compare to their melee counterparts. Opinions can vary but that's where I landed.

That's fine, make the game you want to play!

Have you ever taken a look at my full PF2e rules changes? I just updated it to include a note encouraging use of the Mage and Vicar, but I left my changes for the Cleric and Wizard in case that is their choice. I'll download and include a note for your Thaumaturgist when you do it. And I think I'll create the Shaman if you don't want to. Maybe I'll download InDesign, I've never used it before but your results look good enough that I think I will. Is it a hard program to learn by yourself? Any tips or know a good site for a beginner?

Here's a link to my rules


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for linking my stuff. I hope folks find it useful.

I'll probably do all those classes eventually (the Griot for the Bard, the Shaman for the Druid and the Thaumaturgist for the Sorcerer - likely abandoning the Alchemist to mediocrity). I will present them as some sort of mass 5e style magic replacement. I just can't do those anytime soon since I have a campaign to prep. But if you want to present your take, have at it - thats why I released the InDesign files.

You may need the fonts as well. I don't think InDesign embeds them. Some fonts, like Taroca, are available for free. The others cost money.

InDesign is easy for me to use. I used to work in a print shop over a decade ago and learned to do alot of pre-press design work (with InDesign, Publisher, Photoshop, etc). I have since built my skills with them just doing random homebrew stuff. Not sure how easy or hard it would be for a novice to learn nowadays but I bet you can do basic stuff easy enough and find guides for other stuff you want to do. The software now is alot more user friendly. I don't know of any beginner sites since I started learning on these programs a while ago.

Just please leave some kinda attribution in there ("Base Layout by Data Lore" or some such) if you use it. Thats always good practice when using other folks templates.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I looked at page 85 in the Character Guide, as it says but it is the stats for the Hellknight Signifier dedication and feats. So I checked the Hellknight equipment on pg 80, and the only weapon is the scourge. So then I checked the Lost Omens World Guide, and it isn't listed there either as far as I can see, and it is not listed in either book's glossary/index. So I finally looked on Nethys, and it has the correct page number, 92 in the character guide. And yes, it says martial at the end of the description.

But you make a good point by comparing the bastard sword and waraxe. That convinced me.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Data Lore wrote:

Thanks for linking my stuff. I hope folks find it useful.

I'll probably do all those classes eventually (the Griot for the Bard, the Shaman for the Druid and the Thaumaturgist for the Sorcerer - likely abandoning the Alchemist to mediocrity). I will present them as some sort of mass 5e style magic replacement. I just can't do those anytime soon since I have a campaign to prep. But if you want to present your take, have at it - thats why I released the InDesign files.

You may need the fonts as well. I don't think InDesign embeds them. Some fonts, like Taroca, are available for free. The others cost money.

InDesign is easy for me to use. I used to work in a print shop over a decade ago and learned to do alot of pre-press design work (with InDesign, Publisher, Photoshop, etc). I have since built my skills with them just doing random homebrew stuff. Not sure how easy or hard it would be for a novice to learn nowadays but I bet you can do basic stuff easy enough and find guides for other stuff you want to do. The software now is alot more user friendly. I don't know of any beginner sites since I started learning on these programs a while ago.

Just please leave some kinda attribution in there ("Base Layout by Data Lore" or some such) if you use it. Thats always good practice when using other folks templates.

I definitely will. As you can see in my rules changes, I asked a couple other creators if I could use some of their ideas for inspiration and put a note at the end thanking them by name. I'll put a mark next to the suggestion to use yours as well. Your revised versions are better than the versions in the core rulebook IMHO, and I wish Paizo went the same direction that D&D5e did rather than sticking with Vancian. I'm 48 years old and I've never read a book by Vance, so what are the chances that younger players have?

Update: I updated my house rules by giving you credit for your creations.


I think I will be changing the Mage feat I made up at 18th level (Additional Prep). It was a lazy placeholder for a feat I had to take out due to the change in prep mechanics. I have some ideas on it. It will work more like the original feat and give you a low level slot you basically regain with 10 minutes of downtime.

I will have an updated Mage pdf along with the Thaumaturgist (Sorcerer) up by Sunday or so.

Sovereign Court

Data Lore wrote:

I think I will be changing the Mage feat I made up at 18th level (Additional Prep). It was a lazy placeholder for a feat I had to take out due to the change in prep mechanics. I have some ideas on it. It will work more like the original feat and give you a low level slot you basically regain with 10 minutes of downtime.

I will have an updated Mage pdf along with the Thaumaturgist (Sorcerer) up by Sunday or so.

I don't know about that. As is, preparing 4 additional spells is a very good benefit. Simple giving them regenerating spell slots every 10 minutes, even if they are lower level, seems excessive. You could try something like this:

"Once per day you can spend 10 minutes studying your spellbook to change a number of spells you have prepared. You may swap a number of spells equal to your Int mod, replacing the spells you currently had prepared with the new ones until you do your daily preparations again."


Naw, I think the original is fine though maybe a lower level (like 3rd) due to the added flexibility of this system. 4 extra spells prepped steps on the Thaumaturge (sorcerer) niche of amount of spells prepped.

I'll play with it. OP at 18th doesnt bother me that much. Everyone should have something that feels OP at that point. They just shouldnt get in eachother's lane.

Sovereign Court

Data Lore wrote:

Naw, I think the original is fine though maybe a lower level (like 3rd) due to the added flexibility of this system. 4 extra spells prepped steps on the Thaumaturge (sorcerer) niche of amount of spells prepped.

I'll play with it. OP at 18th doesnt bother me that much. Everyone should have something that feels OP at that point. They just shouldnt get in eachother's lane.

Additional Preparation looks like an adapted version of the 18th level feat "Reprepare Spell." Since the Mage's spells are not expended when they are cast, the 2nd possible effect of that feat should be used: You can reprepare a different spell from your spellbook if you have the spell substitution arcane thesis. Since that thesis can already exchange 1 spell for another with 10 minutes of prep time, you could either speed that up with the feat once per day (maybe it can be done in just 1 round or 1 minute with the thesis once per day) and it can provide the ability to do it normally (10 minutes/spell) for those without the thesis.

No matter how you decide to do it, I'm looking forward to it. Oh, and I did get InDesign. I figure I'll try it for 1 month and see if I can learn it.

Sovereign Court

I had a great idea for the feat: Honors Thesis: Choose an Arcane Thesis you don't currently have. Gain the full benefits of both your first and second thesis.


Honors Thesis wouldn't work with how I decided to balance schools but its a good idea if you land on balancing schools differently.

The feat I will add will just skew closer to the original feat and let you regain a low level slot with 10 minutes of downtime (which is truly what it means to reprepare in the original feat). If you have the sub thesis, I will make it so you can swap a spell at the same time. That would make the feat ("Regain Spell Slot"?) pretty much exactly like the original feat but for a general spell slot instead of a specific prepared spell.

I dislike the one I put in since it doesn't feel as interesting (just more prepared spells - boring and passive), it encroaches on how I will be designing the Thaumaturge (which is balanced around having more spells on hand) and it feels a little too different from the original design.

Honestly though, as a level 18 feat, its something I anticipate changing again when/if my player makes it that far in the 6 months to a year itll take to get to that level.

Sovereign Court

Data Lore wrote:

Honors Thesis wouldn't work with how I decided to balance schools but its a good idea if you land on balancing schools differently.

The feat I will add will just skew closer to the original feat and let you regain a low level slot with 10 minutes of downtime (which is truly what it means to reprepare in the original feat). If you have the sub thesis, I will make it so you can swap a spell at the same time. That would make the feat ("Regain Spell Slot"?) pretty much exactly like the original feat but for a general spell slot instead of a specific prepared spell.

I dislike the one I put in since it doesn't feel as interesting (just more prepared spells - boring and passive), it encroaches on how I will be designing the Thaumaturge (which is balanced around having more spells on hand) and it feels a little too different from the original design.

Honestly though, as a level 18 feat, its something I anticipate changing again when/if my player makes it that far in the 6 months to a year itll take to get to that level.

How does allowing a second arcane thesis, which every mage gets one at level 1, conflict with the magical schools? The Universalist already gets a second one free, and this would just provide 1 more at 18th level (the second if they are in a school, or the third if they are a universalist) If you feel 3 thesis are too much, you could limit the Honors Thesis to School mages, and then similarly limit Infinite Possibilities to the Universalist. That even makes sense, you have to be in a school to get Honors, and Infinite Possibilities is probably the catch phrase of the Universalists!.


Doesn't work for me. I like stuff being unique. To me, more than one thesis is something I like for the universalist only. He gets that but gets less spell slots. Giving that to the specialist at the end seems wrong to me. Then again, me and my group is big into niche design. If you are not as much, thats fine. Different strokes for different folks.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Alright, here is the Thaumaturge (aka the Sorcerer). It was actually a lot easier to put this together than I thought. Almost no changes were needed to feats and the like (just a few minor tweaks here and there since heightening isnt limited in my homebrew).

I mostly just made some changes to spell repertoire and heightening language.

Basically, the thaumaturge gets spells known equal to their base charisma plus level. Their bloodline spells do not count against this limit though. So, they have more spells on hand than the mage or vicar. Also, they still have more spell slots. And, like all casters in my homebrew, they can freely use higher level slots to heighten spells they have at hand.

Anywho, here is version 1.

The Thaumaturge (PDF)
The Thaumaturge (InDesign)

I'm on a bit of a roll with these. This was super fast to put together. I think I will be able to get the Shaman (aka the Druid) and the Griot (aka the Bard) out somewhat sooner than I thought. I will then give them a pass and put all out in one thread as a sort of 5e-ification of the magic system for PF2.

Sovereign Court

Data Lore wrote:

Alright, here is the Thaumaturge (aka the Sorcerer). It was actually a lot easier to put this together than I thought. Almost no changes were needed to feats and the like (just a few minor tweaks here and there since heightening isnt limited in my homebrew).

I mostly just made some changes to spell repertoire and heightening language.

Basically, the thaumaturge gets spells known equal to their base charisma plus level. Their bloodline spells do not count against this limit though. So, they have more spells on hand than the mage or vicar. Also, they still have more spell slots. And, like all casters in my homebrew, they can freely use higher level slots to heighten spells they have at hand.

Anywho, here is version 1.

The Thaumaturge (PDF)
The Thaumaturge (InDesign)

I'm on a bit of a roll with these. This was super fast to put together. I think I will be able to get the Shaman (aka the Druid) and the Griot (aka the Bard) out somewhat sooner than I thought. I will then give them a pass and put all out in one thread as a sort of 5e-ification of the magic system for PF2.

Looks cool. I don't know if you read my house rules doc, but I made a few changes to the Sorcerer too. First, I changed the Demonic and Diabolic bloodlines to Arcane, not Divine. I figure they turned their backs to Divine power (if the ever had it; devils may be fallen angels but they turned their backs on divine power in a grab for the faster, more dangerous arcane magic path. I don't see demons as ever having been divine, they are supposedly sinful mortal souls condemned to an afterlife as demons, and mortals are not inherently divine. Look at the Imperial bloodline for proof of that.) As a bonus, it gives additional arcane choices for Sorcerer, who used to be all arcane casters.

Second, I created unique Elemental bloodlines for Fire, Water, Earth, and Air. The individual element bloodlines are far more flavorful than one that is just mostly Fire and a note to change the damage types to Bludgeoning for the other elements. The whole Element Type notation just seemed like a lazy way of doing it, and it hardly takes up more space than the notation. Here's how I did it:

Elemental Sorcerers: Replace their Granted Spells with the following, chosen by their Element Type
Fire: Cantrip: Produce Flame 1st: Burning Hands 2nd: Flaming Sphere 3rd: Fireball 4th: Wall of Fire 5th: Elemental Form 6th: Fire Seeds 7th: Fiery Body 8th: Prismatic Wall 9th: Storm of Vengeance
Air: Cantrip: Electric Arc 1st: Gust of Wind 2nd: Obscuring Mist 3rd: Wall of Wind 4th: Gaseous Form 5th: Cloudkill 6th: Chain Lightning 7th: Reverse Gravity 8th: Wind Walk 9th: Storm of Vengeance
Earth: Cantrip: Telekinetic Projectile 1st: Shillelagh 2nd: Acid Arrow 3rd: Meld Into Stone 4th: Shape Stone 5th: Wall of Stone 6th: Flesh to Stone 7th: Volcanic Eruption 8th: Earthquake 9th: Storm of Vengeance
Water: Cantrip: Ray of Frost 1st: Hydraulic Push 2nd: Water Breathing 3rd: Feet to Fins 4th: Hydraulic Torrent 5th: Wall of Ice 6th: Repulsion 7th: Energy Aegis 8th: Polar Ray 9th: Storm of Vengeance


Im not really looking to make tons of design changes to casters. Other than the cleric, I am staying very close to stock and am just making changes where needed due to 5e-ifying things.

The wizard needed lots of changes due to how tied stuff was to specific prepped slots and arcane bond. Balancing universalists and spell schools and all that under 5e casting lead me to make some design shifts as well.

I dont think the bard or druid have much I have to change due to the shift towards 5e casting. I should be able to have those out soon.


Oops, just saw an error, I think I left Alertness in there. I will address it tonight.

Edit: Also, I do like the idea of letting Elemental Bloodline players get spells more appropriate to thier chosen element instead of those fire damage spells. I may put in something like "players who choose an element other than fire, may work with thier GMs to replace granted primal spells that have the fire trait with primal spells which have traits that better align with thier chosen element."

Sovereign Court

Data Lore wrote:

Oops, just saw an error, I think I left Alertness in there. I will address it tonight.

Edit: Also, I do like the idea of letting Elemental Bloodline players get spells more appropriate to thier chosen element instead of those fire damage spells. I may put in something like "players who choose an element other than fire, may work with thier GMs to replace granted primal spells that have the fire trait with primal spells which have traits that better align with thier chosen element."

Ok, I hope you won't mind me creating my own Thaumaturgist 1.1 then with these changes. I will post the results here.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would ask that you please post them to your own house rules thread, if thats ok. This is more for my releases. If you have any InDesign questions though, please reach out.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Data Lore wrote:
I would ask that you please post them to your own house rules thread, if thats ok. This is more for my releases. If you have any InDesign questions though, please reach out.

Ok, no problem. I hope you will take a look at when I'm done.


Sure thing, I love looking at the work of other creatives.


Ah, nevermind, Sorcerers do get Alertness. I had it right the first time. Also, I reread the Elemental Bloodline and I don't think there is much need for a change there since the Elemental Type section basically changes the fire spells to better fit the other elements. Pretty elegant actually. I didn't have a player that asked to be a sorcerer so this is the first time I really look at it deeply.


Here is a spell use tracker I made for my group. Like the spell cards I'm making, this is made to be printed on a 4x6 card.

The numbered drop downs allow you have up to 6 boxes to appear in each of 12 sections (to track spell uses across 10 levels of spells, focus spells and other stuff like divine font). The numbered drop down does not print but the boxes do.

You can also note stuff like the spell save dc and spell attack mod.

Since I will be giving specialist mages an extra slot that only works with their school, I needed to have a way to track that specific slot. Before you print, you can click on a box and a greyed out star will appear in it. That works to denote special slots like my specialist school slot.

With this card, my spell cards and these rules for casters, spell play can be much smoother. You just basically build a deck of prepared spells equal to spell mod plus level, place those to one side, and then mark off uses as you use the spells in the moment using a pencil

Anywho, here you go: LINK

You may need to use Adobe Reader (not the browser or some other reader) to get some of the stuff to work.

Sovereign Court

Data Lore wrote:

Here is a spell use tracker I made for my group. Like the spell cards I'm making, this is made to be printed on a 4x6 card.

The numbered drop downs allow you have up to 6 boxes to appear in each of 12 sections (to track spell uses across 10 levels of spells, focus spells and other stuff like divine font). The numbered drop down does not print but the boxes do.

You can also note stuff like the spell save dc and spell attack mod.

Since I will be giving specialist mages an extra slot that only works with their school, I needed to have a way to track that specific slot. Before you print, you can click on a box and a greyed out star will appear in it. That works to denote special slots like my specialist school slot.

With this card, my spell cards and these rules for casters, spell play can be much smoother. You just basically build a deck of prepared spells equal to spell mod plus level, place those to one side, and then mark off uses as you use the spells in the moment using a pencil

Anywho, here you go: LINK

You may need to use Adobe Reader (not the browser or some other reader) to get some of the stuff to work.

Very nice! Should go well with the spell cards, as you said. Also useful in D&D 5e.

Did you get the PM I sent you? I'm having trouble trying to get the fonts to fit in the boxes. It gives part of the word and then -


Sounds like you need to make the boxes bigger.

Sovereign Court

Data Lore wrote:
Sounds like you need to make the boxes bigger.

Changing to a different font fixed the problem. It's now posted in my Pathfinder 2e Changes thread.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Homebrew and House Rules / Homebrew 5e Style Prepared Casters (The Mage and the Vicar) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.