Double Weapons with Different Damage Die?


Rules Questions

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Is it possible to have a double weapon where one side uses a smaller damage die than the other, something like Warframe's Dark Split-Sword?

I kind of want my character to wield a weapon with that aesthetic, but have no idea how I'd replicate such a frankly weird weapon in Starfinder.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

If you're homebrewing weapons, I don't see any reason you couldn't make one like that. It wouldn't break the game at all.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
HammerJack wrote:
If you're homebrewing weapons, I don't see any reason you couldn't make one like that. It wouldn't break the game at all.

How...would I make such a weapon balanced?


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Make sure the more damaging end is equivalent damage to other advanced melee weapons at that level, that use that number of hands and target same same AC.

You might also do something like have one end with an energy type damage, targeting EAC and doing damage dice appropriate to EAC weapons of that level, and one side doing kinetic damage, targeting KAC, and doing slightly higher damage appropriate to weapons of that level.

If you want to make the difference between the two ends more extreme, for concept, make the small side smaller than normal weapons at that level, instead of making the big side bigger.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
HammerJack wrote:
If you want to make the difference between the two ends more extreme, for concept, make the small side smaller than normal weapons at that level, instead of making the big side bigger.

That's sort of like how the sword I linked to is: it's a longsword-style blade on one end and a dagger on the other, rather than a full-size greatsword.

Dataphiles

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
HammerJack wrote:
If you want to make the difference between the two ends more extreme, for concept, make the small side smaller than normal weapons at that level, instead of making the big side bigger.
That's sort of like how the sword I linked to is: it's a longsword-style blade on one end and a dagger on the other, rather than a full-size greatsword.

You answered your own question right here : big end functions as a longsword-equivalent, short end is dagger-like, add damage types to flavour, level scaling as equivalent weapons.

Wayfinders

You could use the Nuar's combined weapon rules from Alien Archive.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Corsair17 wrote:
You could use the Nuar's combined weapon rules from Alien Archive.

Maze-core weapons require both items to be powered or technological equipment and switch between the two forms rather than using both at the same time.

Lorcryst wrote:
You answered your own question right here : big end functions as a longsword-equivalent, short end is dagger-like, add damage types to flavour, level scaling as equivalent weapons.

The big reason I was asking about this is that the only double weapon I currently see is the Icestar Staff, which is a powered weapon where the two sides have the same damage die but different elements, and wondered if making an analog weapon that deals longsword damage on one end and dagger damage on the other of the same type (slashing in this case) was "cheating" in a sense, since a longsword is not an operative weapon but a dagger is? And at that point, I imagine it'd be simpler to just buy a dagger and a longsword and just say they're connected since Multi-Weapon Fighting isn't all that distinct from a regular full attack from a single weapon unless you're an operative, and my character is a Solarian.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

So you want a double weapon with one end having the operative tag and the other not.

That's different from having a double weapon with 2 different damage dice :)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Right, but when a weapon HAS the "double" tag, its two sides count as a pair of operative weapons for the purposes of the Multi-Weapon Fighting feat.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Here's a crude rough draft of what I had in mind:

Level 7; Price ?
Damage 2d8 S|2d4 S; Critical
Bulk 1; Special analog, double

It's basically a sintered longsword with a tactical knife glued together with the double tag and ditching the operative tag for the knife.

Would it even make sense as a weapon? I imagine using very spinny moves almost like a quarterstaff, but as I've thought about it over today I wonder if it's just asking you to cut and stab yourself with the dagger end...

Wayfinders

What if you used a type of "brass knuckles" as a handguard instead of the knife? You could make it either bludgeoning or slashing?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

While a cool idea, and one I may revisit in the future, it's not quite what I'm trying to do at the moment.

It's a badass idea, though!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I love the warframe love here. Been playing for 6 years. I think the weapon is perfectly fine how you built it. Does is separate as move action like in the game? I think there is an item in army that does not do what you are looking for but is close. Something between a clamp and bayonette. Love it though!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Garrett Larghi wrote:
I love the warframe love here. Been playing for 6 years. I think the weapon is perfectly fine how you built it. Does is separate as move action like in the game? I think there is an item in army that does not do what you are looking for but is close. Something between a clamp and bayonette. Love it though!

I just started playing it last week, and I've been loving it! I wasn't really concerned with splitting it into two pieces like it does in the game for this, though. I know what you're referring to, though, the Bayonet Brackets for guns. You can use them to replicate the Redeemer, or replicate the Corinth using the Grenadier Bracket! :D


Archpaladin Zousha wrote:


I just started playing it last week, and I've been loving it! I wasn't really concerned with splitting it into two pieces like it does in the game for this, though. I know what you're referring to, though, the Bayonet Brackets for guns. You can use them to replicate the Redeemer, or replicate the Corinth using the Grenadier Bracket! :D

Now I wish I had the time to look at all the weapons! Great ideas, if you make a custom list let me know!

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Rules Questions / Double Weapons with Different Damage Die? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.