Singling out enemies build


Advice


I was wondering if there was any feat, class feature, item, or just anything really that gave an advantage for engaging on an enemy who was by themselves? For people who play league of legends, I’m kind of looking for like what Kha’zix does where he deals more damage to isolated foes. So for example if there was anything in pathfinder that was like: if you attack an enemy who doesn’t have any allies within 30 feet deal bonus damage, or stun, or anything that gives an advantage. If anyone can find something like this, I was thinking of a build where I bullrush one enemy away from the rest of it’s group and single it out. I couldn’t find anything, so if anyone has any luck with this please let me know, thank you.


There's a couple of feats, steadfast slayer and desperate battler. Or, when grappling an enemy it's often better to not be within stabbing range of other enemies. Or, there are optional rules for one on one duels and a feat called call out which can force an enemy to start a duel - this offers defensive benefits.


I uh I don't think so??????

I'm as surprised as the next guy tbh.


avr wrote:
There's a couple of feats, steadfast slayer and desperate battler. Or, when grappling an enemy it's often better to not be within stabbing range of other enemies. Or, there are optional rules for one on one duels and a feat called call out which can force an enemy to start a duel - this offers defensive benefits.

Well, all the feats you listed take effect when YOU are alone, I was wondering if there were any that take effect when your target was isolated from their allies. Granted, I suppose if you were to bullrush an enemy off to the side, you would be the only one threatening him at that point, but if one of your allies come to help you fight him, then you lose all your bonuses, because you’re not the only one threatening them.


Secret Wizard wrote:

I uh I don't think so??????

I'm as surprised as the next guy tbh.

I know right? I searched up and down archives of nethys looking for something, but nothing came up.


There are some concepts that this system was not modeled to address, or was just not envisioned. Action economy already favors the party when facing an isolated enemy.


DeathlessOne wrote:
There are some concepts that this system was not modeled to address, or was just not envisioned. Action economy already favors the party when facing an isolated enemy.

I see, I suppose that makes sense, so you’re saying that isolated enemies are already at such a massive disadvantage anyways, so there probably isn’t a mechanic in the game that does what I’m asking about?


Pretty much, yes. Pathfinder is designed to encourage group tactics to outmaneuver and place individual enemies at a disadvantage. The things that work better is doing the same thing to a group of enemies at the same time (area of effect spells).

There are individual effects, like Smite or Challenge, that try to force a single enemy to go after a single character or face disadvantages.


Banjaa wrote:
DeathlessOne wrote:
There are some concepts that this system was not modeled to address, or was just not envisioned. Action economy already favors the party when facing an isolated enemy.
I see, I suppose that makes sense, so you’re saying that isolated enemies are already at such a massive disadvantage anyways, so there probably isn’t a mechanic in the game that does what I’m asking about?

I think the playstyle can be well done with something like a Pinning build, with stuff like Pinning Knockout or Throat Slicer combined with Charging Stag Style. Stealth into position, pounce, trip, grapple, pin and execute.


Secret Wizard wrote:
I think the playstyle can be well done with something like a Pinning build, with stuff like Pinning Knockout or Throat Slicer combined with Charging Stag Style. Stealth into position, pounce, trip, grapple, pin and execute.

What class/archetype do you think would be the best for this? I was looking at the strangler brawler maybe. Also I saw the rogue talent, Ambuscading Grapple, so maybe a rogue or slayer would do this well, like kidnapper rogue or bounty hunter slayer? Also the strangler and deadly grappler combat feats look promising.


Banjaa wrote:
Secret Wizard wrote:
I think the playstyle can be well done with something like a Pinning build, with stuff like Pinning Knockout or Throat Slicer combined with Charging Stag Style. Stealth into position, pounce, trip, grapple, pin and execute.
What class/archetype do you think would be the best for this? I was looking at the strangler brawler maybe. Also I saw the rogue talent, Ambuscading Grapple, so maybe a rogue or slayer would do this well, like kidnapper rogue or bounty hunter slayer? Also the strangler and deadly grappler combat feats look promising.

I assume all work. I've done Strangler with this build for an enemy, but I wasn't impressed, the lack of scaling unarmed damage dice is too crippling unless you can reliably Sleeper Hold. If I could rebuild, I'd do, perhaps, Verdant Grappler Brawler.

I'd like to explore a different build for sure, maybe Barb??


There's a story feat called Champion that gives you +1 to attack and dodge AC as a swift action against a single person, assuming no one else interferes.

The Friendly Rivalry combat/teamwork feat sorta fits that bill but not exactly.


JiaYou wrote:

There's a story feat called Champion that gives you +1 to attack and dodge AC as a swift action against a single person, assuming no one else interferes.

The Friendly Rivalry combat/teamwork feat sorta fits that bill but not exactly.

Champion actually looks pretty promising for this purpose, since it says if ANYONE interferes, meaning other foes as well as allies. It's not perfect, but it's as close as I think I'm going to get. Thanks.


avr wrote:
There's a couple of feats, steadfast slayer and desperate battler. Or, when grappling an enemy it's often better to not be within stabbing range of other enemies. Or, there are optional rules for one on one duels and a feat named Call Out which can force an enemy to start a duel - this offers defensive benefits.

IMO every GM out there with at least room-temperature IQ should also pretend that feat doesn't exist.

(Yes: there is a skill-check feat potentially even more prone to table bickering than Antagonize when the desired uber-cheese fails to materialize as the player expects.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

BSF: "Hey wizard, yo momma wears army boots! Come toe-to-toe with my butchering axe because yer mad now!" <rolls d20 + fifty bazillion intimimancy>

NPC wizard: "Der, OK!" <pulls rusty masterwork dagger>

BSF player: "Hah! My feat totally rocks! Gonna make that Int 28 caster go down like a total punk to a social skill-check!"

Wizard: "I'm sorry; ignore that. I decline your choice of dueling weapons, and instead will only agree to the use of Maximized, Empowered, Dazing Fireball!" Do you have a rod, or will you need to borrow one?"

BSF player: "Hey!"

Gunslinger (annoyed by the lack of combat in the combat): "I blow the wizard away!" <unleashes hail of bullets>

Wizard: <casts Invisibility as a previously readied action> "Sadly, these preliminary negotiations have now come to an end after not-agreed-to outside help has been received by the would-be opponent."

BSF player: "This sucks!"

GM: "Five minute break, everybody! During this time, characters with the 'Call Out' feat may retrain it for free."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Either Call Out and Call Truce on the same sin bin as a GM in my case, for the similar reason of creating headaches. Forcing a 1v1, same thing.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Singling out enemies build All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.