Needs variable key ability and a style that supports disarm.


Swashbuckler Playtest


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I was talking with ClanPsi on a different site and reached the conclusion that I think the different styles should add alternate key ability options just like the rogue rwckets. Braggart and Fencer would add a Cha option, gymnast would add Str as an option.

Additionally I think there really needs to be a style/option where you can get pinache from disarming. I mean it's the ability on the iconic swashbuckling weapon the rapier.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I think it'd have to be only one option from a list, given you will encounter many, many enemies that don't have a weapon you can disarm.


I wouldn’t include disarm as an option, because crit-only makes it more of an emergency option. It doesn’t make for a fun focus.

Liberty's Edge

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Something to allow Swashbucklers to disarm better seems like a definite thing that should exist. I dunno about as a primary fighting style, but its should definitely be a thing.

Maybe a Class Feat with stringent requirements (like, requiring Panache and counting as a finisher, plus being a two or even three action activity) that actually allows a disarm on a success.

That seems like it could be balanced if designed appropriately. The Panache economy and counting as a finisher potentially let you make Swashbuckler Feats with really good effects.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Deadmanwalking wrote:

Something to allow Swashbucklers to disarm better seems like a definite thing that should exist. I dunno about as a primary fighting style, but its should definitely be a thing.

Maybe a Class Feat with stringent requirements (like, requiring Panache and counting as a finisher, plus being a two or even three action activity) that actually allows a disarm on a success.

That seems like it could be balanced if designed appropriately. The Panache economy and counting as a finisher potentially let you make Swashbuckler Feats with really good effects.

That as a finisher would be awesome.

I really like swashbucklers limit break system. I idly wondered if it could work this way, but it looks better than I’d thought.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Opportune Riposte allows you to disarm instead of attack, so I think building on that to make a "disarm with a high chance of success" would be a good idea.

The problem with disarm is that it has the potential to end fights, so it can't be a reliable first order option. But if you make it (critically) succeed a lot in cases where 1) you have or have just used panache, 2) as a reaction, and 3) after someone crit failed on an attempt to hit you that seems reasonable.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Deadmanwalking wrote:

Something to allow Swashbucklers to disarm better seems like a definite thing that should exist. I dunno about as a primary fighting style, but its should definitely be a thing.

Maybe a Class Feat with stringent requirements (like, requiring Panache and counting as a finisher, plus being a two or even three action activity) that actually allows a disarm on a success.

That seems like it could be balanced if designed appropriately. The Panache economy and counting as a finisher potentially let you make Swashbuckler Feats with really good effects.

I could see a two action finisher that lets you roll twice on the disarm attempt, or a three action finisher that gives you one degree of success higher.

Liberty's Edge

Arachnofiend wrote:
I could see a two action finisher that lets you roll twice on the disarm attempt, or a three action finisher that gives you one degree of success higher.

Yeah, I think the three action one is a better design of those two, but the three action version seems pretty reasonable and interesting.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Deadmanwalking wrote:
Arachnofiend wrote:
I could see a two action finisher that lets you roll twice on the disarm attempt, or a three action finisher that gives you one degree of success higher.
Yeah, I think the three action one is a better design of those two, but the three action version seems pretty reasonable and interesting.

???

I am thoroughly interested in the final version of this post ;-)

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:

???

I am thoroughly interested in the final version of this post ;-)

What do you mean? Just a final version of the Feat in question? It'd really be pretty straightforward (3 action activity, Swashbuckler and Finisher Traits, 'Make a Disarm attempt, any success on this attack counts as a critical success'). Then pick a level for it...I want to say around 6 or 8 sounds right, but I think it could be argued up or down.

Maybe throw something on to make it better for Fencers (something like allowing you to use Dex instead of Str on the Athletics check to Disarm, maybe), since that's on-theme for them.

That'd make it slightly better for everyone, of course, but it's a three action finisher, it probably should have decent odds of success.


Deadmanwalking wrote:
The Raven Black wrote:

???

I am thoroughly interested in the final version of this post ;-)

What do you mean? Just a final version of the Feat in question? It'd really be pretty straightforward (3 action activity, Swashbuckler and Finisher Traits, 'Make a Disarm attempt, any success on this attack counts as a critical success'). Then pick a level for it...I want to say around 6 or 8 sounds right, but I think it could be argued up or down.

Maybe throw something on to make it better for Fencers (something like allowing you to use Dex instead of Str on the Athletics check to Disarm, maybe), since that's on-theme for them.

That'd make it slightly better for everyone, of course, but it's a three action finisher, it probably should have decent odds of success.

Your original comment talked about the 3 action version twice when it seemed like it meant to be half about the 2 and half about the three

That might be what the above commenter was getting at ...

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Advanced Player’s Guide Playtest / Swashbuckler Playtest / Needs variable key ability and a style that supports disarm. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Swashbuckler Playtest