Finishing What I Begin


Gamer Life General Discussion

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Something's been bugging me a lot lately, namely that I have a lot of games (61 on Steam, 8 on GOG, 10 on Origin), but I haven't actually FINISHED a video game in years. It just feels like the majority of the games I have take so long to get through, and there's so much research to do for things like walkthroughs and strategy, while there's so many other demands on my time and attention like work and commuting, trying to get enough sleep to be healthy, doing chores on my days off, keeping up with the YouTube channels I'm subscribed to which make video essays that can be from 40 minutes to an hour, keeping up with the play-by-posts I'm in here on the Paizo Boards, reading books and webcomics, that it's not worth even beginning. Also, a lot of the games I've gotten usually have a lot more stuff coming in later through DLC, so I prefer to wait until the game is "complete" before actually starting it, and I know that's a bad habit I need to break and just wait to buy the darn game when they release a "Complete Edition" that includes all the DLC in the same package, but by the time that happens I've usually gotten distracted by another game.

But at the same time, I feel bad because those games are sitting on my computer, silently reminding me that I haven't completed them, and some of them you have to play through multiple times to get the full experience, or require you to invest daily time and effort, meaning I'm not getting my money's worth for them, and whatever money I've spent on them or time I've spent playing them has been wasted.

I've heard rumors that this is a growing phenomenon among people who play games, especially given the latest trends being tracked by The Jimquisition in modern games on the "LIIVE SER-VICE" model. Has anyone else here encountered this issue? If so, what did you do to get out of the slump? There are games I'm getting interested now that I'm scared to touch because it'd be just one more on the pile of stuff I haven't finished yet and may never finish. Am I just getting depressed or trying to do too much with my life? Why does none of this feel fun anymore?


Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
meaning I'm not getting my money's worth for them, and whatever money I've spent on them or time I've spent playing them has been wasted.

Do you ever read a few chapters of a book and then decide not to finish it?

Do you ever taste something and then decide not to eat all of it?

If you put food on your plate, do you eat every bit of it even if you're not hungry?

Have you ever read about the Sunk Cost Fallacy?

The Sunk Cost Fallacy holds tremendous power over some people's minds. They aren't able to stop something they've started. If they do, they think they should feel bad, or guilty, or sinful, or whatever self-blame paradigm they've been raised with.

You might practice telling yourself "I'm not an evil person if I stop now."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Games exist to be entertaining, if you have had your fun with a game, or would have more fun playing a new game, moving on is absolutely the right choice.

There can be some cases where finishing a game can be fulfilling, in which case fulfillment can be worth sticking out the less fun option, but in most cases finishing games isn't really that fulfilling anyway as they are just entertainment.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
CrystalSeas wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
meaning I'm not getting my money's worth for them, and whatever money I've spent on them or time I've spent playing them has been wasted.

Do you ever read a few chapters of a book and then decide not to finish it?

Do you ever taste something and then decide not to eat all of it?

If you put food on your plate, do you eat every bit of it even if you're not hungry?

Have you ever read about the Sunk Cost Fallacy?

The Sunk Cost Fallacy holds tremendous power over some people's minds. They aren't able to stop something they've started. If they do, they think they should feel bad, or guilty, or sinful, or whatever self-blame paradigm they've been raised with.

You might practice telling yourself "I'm not an evil person if I stop now."

I'm familiar with it, and I know it's a fallacy, but that doesn't stop it from getting in my head.

The food comparisons don't quite work, though. I've always been a card-carrying member of the Clean Plate Club since childhood.


CrystalSeas wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
meaning I'm not getting my money's worth for them, and whatever money I've spent on them or time I've spent playing them has been wasted.
Do you ever read a few chapters of a book and then decide not to finish it?

Heresy! ;)

… Unless it turns out to be truly terrible, or less useful for my immediate purposes, or… After all, there will probably still be a copy easy enough to track down later if the spirit moves me, so to speak. One of these years I might actually be inspired to finish Vanity Fair, the first part of which I remember enjoying, before getting bogged down and then distracted.

More seriously, I’m with CrystalSeas and Tender Tendrils on this one. I think I do understand some of where you’re coming from, though, o Archpaladin. For me at least, I think I can see how the situation in games might look or feel like it’s getting worse, as I keep half an eye out on spaces that have been of more interest to me historically, and on some folks whose take on games journalism I’ve found intriguing lately. Part of it is feeling less enthusiasm for some things I once loved, and also just being jaded by the extravagant marketing of the next big thing: open world this and that! motion capture! visual design that calls for a dedicated graphics card that can handle zillions of GB!

Whether or not the latter, at least, actually are a trend that exists, I still just try to remind myself that tastes and commitments change, and that that’s OK. Taking a moment to remember that, actually, the games I’ve most enjoyed recently are shorter, simpler, and have more lulls in the action that feel like natural places to take a break, and so on, all helps. Also, though I’m not always as good about it as I ought to be, just taking a step back, knowing that keeping up with X, Y, and Z just isn’t practical or enjoyable right now. For me, it’s a question of taking ongoing stock of my priorities.

That said, perhaps I’m more jaundiced about what deserves a second chance, let alone multiple playthroughs “to get the full experience.” YMMV, but I’ll just nope! out of there. If a game or whatever really wants to convince me that that’s worth doing, it’s welcome to try, but I’m not going to let it, or its fans, guilt-trip me about it. There should be enough room for all of us to decide what’s fun for us. And, as Tegan and Sara would say, “If it’s not fun, why do it?” (I’m probably paraphrasing a poorly remembered quotation there.)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Qunnessaa wrote:
Heresy! ;)

That's sort of my feeling...if I didn't WANT to read the book I wouldn't have gotten it in the first place...though these days it feels more and more like the only books I read that aren't RPG-related are ones where I'm curious about them, and can't find a full synopsis online to get the basics. The Pathfinder Tales series has been kind of frustrating for me in that regard: I want to know what's in the books so I don't contradict them in my role-playing, but the wiki only provides the blurb from the back cover. I WANT spoilers! How am I supposed to know if I'll enjoy the journey if I don't have a map?!

Quote:
… Unless it turns out to be truly terrible, or less useful for my immediate purposes, or… After all, there will probably still be a copy easy enough to track down later if the spirit moves me, so to speak. One of these years I might actually be inspired to finish Vanity Fair, the first part of which I remember enjoying, before getting bogged down and then distracted.

I really need to finish reading The Redemption Engine. I'm in the same position, in that I enjoy what I've read so far, but things keep getting in the way and I end up not having the energy to sit down and read or get the urge to check the forums instead.

Quote:
More seriously, I’m with CrystalSeas and Tender Tendrils on this one. I think I do understand some of where you’re coming from, though, o Archpaladin. For me at least, I think I can see how the situation in games might look or feel like it’s getting worse, as I keep half an eye out on spaces that have been of more interest to me historically, and on some folks whose take on games journalism I’ve found intriguing lately. Part of it is feeling less enthusiasm for some things I once loved, and also just being jaded by the extravagant marketing of the next big thing: open world this and that! motion capture! visual design that calls for a dedicated graphics card that can handle zillions of GB!

That may be a factor. Most of the games I own aren't because something JUMPS at me that looks enjoyable, and more out of loyalty to a particular studio or series (BioWare games, the Total War series, the Elder Scrolls).

Quote:
Whether or not the latter, at least, actually are a trend that exists, I still just try to remind myself that tastes and commitments change, and that that’s OK. Taking a moment to remember that, actually, the games I’ve most enjoyed recently are shorter, simpler, and have more lulls in the action that feel like natural places to take a break, and so on, all helps. Also, though I’m not always as good about it as I ought to be, just taking a step back, knowing that keeping up with X, Y, and Z just isn’t practical or enjoyable right now. For me, it’s a question of taking ongoing stock of my priorities.

That's...something I've been struggling with for the past few years. And I feel like I'm running out of time. I just turned 31 last month, and if I played all these games through, it'd probably take me a century at the rate I'm going at! I look at my siblings and how they're doing things like attending Grad School while also teaching a fitness dance class, or releasing an album of Irish music and having a girlfriend, or selling their own paintings at an art show, and my goal of finishing a few of the video games I've bought not only seems pathetic by comparison, the fact that I'm struggling to even do THAT is even more pathetic!

Quote:
That said, perhaps I’m more jaundiced about what deserves a second chance, let alone multiple playthroughs “to get the full experience.” YMMV, but I’ll just nope! out of there. If a game or whatever really wants to convince me that that’s worth doing, it’s welcome to try, but I’m not going to let it, or its fans, guilt-trip me about it. There should be enough room for all of us to decide what’s fun for us. And, as Tegan and Sara would say, “If it’s not fun, why do it?” (I’m probably paraphrasing a poorly remembered quotation there.)

Like that song "And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?"

And the answer is that it feels good in the moment, but then I look at what happened after I'm done and I suddenly get hit with a metaphorical hammer of "OH GOD I COULD HAVE BEEN DOING SO MUCH OTHER STUFF IN THIS TIME! IF I DON'T POST IN MY GAMES ON HERE THEY MAY THINK I'M DEAD!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

If you're saying to yourself, "I ought to want to do X", but find yourself doing Y, then it's time to acknowledge that your interests have changed.

Even if you originally liked doing X, you've obviously found a lot of other things that you like doing *more* than X.

We're talking about entertainment here. If other things are more entertaining now, then do them. There's no need to feel guilty that you've outgrown or lost interest in something that you used to enjoy.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

That's just it, the interest isn't GONE. I just seem to slingshot from hyperfixation to hyperfixation, sometimes returning to old ones but ultimately getting stuck or distracted and I wouldn't HAVE that problem if I played a game to completion at LEAST once, like I used to be able to do. I used to be able to play through a game multiple times and get the same joy out of it each time, but now I feel like I never have the energy to keep up and just want to take a nap.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

It doesn't help that I had an entire day today to do stuff since I didn't have work or any other outside commitments...and I spent most of it sleeping.


Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Have you had a thorough medical evaluation, including depression screening?

Sometimes that kind of "no energy/just want to take a nap" is a symptom of an underlying undiagnosed medical issue, especially if you haven't actually lost interest.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in my elementary school days and do take a daily dose of Paroxetine, but I've honestly been on it so long I forget what it was originally for (whether it's for the AS itself or for anxiety stemming from it).

I've always been hesitant to sound "too depressed" in those checklists they make you fill out when you visit a psychiatrist, since I don't want to sound like I might be suicidal. I'm not. And my mother wants me to have a sleep study done to see if I've got sleep apnea on top of that and part of me's just like "WHEN AM I GOING TO HAVE TIME TO SET ALL THIS UP?! I DON'T EVEN HAVE A DRIVER'S LICENSE!"


Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
And my mother wants me to have a sleep study done

So critical! There's so much else beyond sleep apnea that a sleep study can uncover. And it really is the first step when you're feeling tired all the time.

The great thing about sleep disorders is that many of them can be corrected without taking (and paying for) expensive drugs. Lifestyle alterations can solve so many of them.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I just hope those lifestyle alterations don't require everyone else in my family to make lifestyle alterations of their own to accommodate mine.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
I just hope those lifestyle alterations don't require everyone else in my family to make lifestyle alterations of their own to accommodate mine.

I hate to say this, but something I have learned in my mental health community service studies is that you cannot let that get in the way. You have to put your health first, both for your sake and theirs. Adjusting to you changing up your lifestyle is much easier for people than adjusting to you not being well, and trying to just tough it out to not inconvenience people often causes a greater amount of inconvenience later.

Its something I have said to a lot of co-workers over the years - you can go home on time every day and take breaks and miss a few minutes each week, or you can keep overworking yourself and staying late to save time now, but miss an entire month later when you burn yourself out.

(I'm also the worst at following my own advice, and ended up burning myself out so badly last year that I had to be on sabbatical for the better part of 6 months, mostly because I didn't take time for myself earlier).

When people don't prioritise their own wellbeing, it ends up falling on the people around them, so taking good care of yourself is actually one of the most generous things you can do, as you are the most helpful to others (and the easiest to be around and get along with) when you are at your best.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As a librarian, life is too short for s#*! books.

The happiest I have ever been is when I extended this universal truth to other situations and got on with my life guilt free.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / Finishing What I Begin All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion