Humanoid Muscle for the Technic League


Iron Gods


I was trying to think of some type of humanoid that the Technic League could have enslaved and modified with tech. I don’t want Giants cause my players will have just finished Giantslayer when we start this campaign any one have any ideas?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Kellid Humans that have been stolen from the drugged up black sovereigns clan. Any android really as the league hunts them so why not put them to use after tinkering with them. Any other river kingdoms humanoids are likely to be around and could be members of the league. If you want to have more fun with Aliens you could have Kasatha that have been experimented on by the league but by the timeline of IG they are just starting to branch out from their habitat modules and making native tribes. But as the lore in the AP provides your most common normal humanoids would be Kellid as they are Numearia's native race or experimented on androids. Also Gearsmen can be altered in all kinds of fun ways to fit whatever needs you have and are common bodyguards to league travelers.


Was looking for something large but not giants. (Sorry forgot that in the original post)

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Joey Virtue wrote:
Was looking for something large but not giants. (Sorry forgot that in the original post)

Large humanoids pretty much always have the "giant" sub-type. :(

But why large? You will find that quite a lot of the encounters happen in relatively small areas - Large creatures would actually be at a serious disadvantage.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Yah, there aren't a lot of large humanoids in Numeria. There are a decent amount of robots you could scale up to large like Arachnid robots, gearsmen ect.

The only large humanoid I can think off the top of my head that is run into in the books are Ogres. While they are certainly dumb enough to be used as semi-willing slaves I don't think the League would waste their already scares and expensive tech augmenting ogres who are likely to damage and destroy it. There is also a named Troll in Scrapwall who uses an Autograpnel. The idea of a troll being augmented with tech is kind of cool given that even a bad surgeon could have success since Trolls would regenerate around any mistakes.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

Not technically humanoids but in the 3rd party adventure for Jade Regent 'Night Under Frozen Stars' there are some terrifying oni cyborgs. I don't know if any of the baddies in Numeria would have the chops to regularly capture and convert a number of ogre mages into cyborgs though.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Nicolas Paradise wrote:

Yah, there aren't a lot of large humanoids in Numeria. There are a decent amount of robots you could scale up to large like Arachnid robots, gearsmen ect.

The only large humanoid I can think off the top of my head that is run into in the books are Ogres.

Hill Giants, page 29 of The Choking Tower.

Nicolas Paradise wrote:
While they are certainly dumb enough to be used as semi-willing slaves I don't think the League would waste their already scares and expensive tech augmenting ogres who are likely to damage and destroy it. There is also a named Troll in Scrapwall who uses an Autograpnel. The idea of a troll being augmented with tech is kind of cool given that even a bad surgeon could have success since Trolls would regenerate around any mistakes.

But, as I said before, Giants are a subpar choice for NPCs with this AP. Having just finished Giantslayer, your PCs already know how to deal this large creatures.


I just was thinking some tribe of something with a lot of tech would be cool and different, like Minotaurs or maybe trolls even though they are giants. It’s just easy for threatening meat shields for the casters to be large. Easier to hide behind.


In Golarion, Minotaurs are essentially super-tieflings, normal parents can bare them if cursed, in addition to being to being a true breeding race. They can show up anywhere as a result. Say some barbarian tribe did something to be cursed (or "blessed") in large numbers by the Mother of Monsters.

Alternatively the Technic League has a large number of evil aligned arcane spellcasters, so Called outsiders and/or undead are options. For outsiders, Kytons are characterized in a way they could easily be run as accepting cybernetic mods as payment for their service. For undead, go with recycling failed experiments (Slave died after his body rejected our attempt at replicating an artificial arm? Oh well, just making him a skeleton and see if the arm works that way!).

Infact, on Kyton

Palace of Fallen Stars:
One of the senior members has a Kyton as a familiar


There was a

Spoiler:
a lot of kytons
in the last two books.
The technic league used a lot of
Spoiler:
ash giants
as their muscle.


Regarding the fact that casters would use them as meat shields to hide behind, and hiding behind large creatures has rules-wise absolutely no effect, you could just stick with the cyber-modified Kellids, but make them significantly larger ones, just narratively (as it would have no effect anyhow), whether they really are especially large individuals or this is just an effect of the modification (like Captain America)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Having to move around or firing through a large character is more difficult than a medium character.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
deuxhero wrote:


For outsiders, Kytons are characterized in a way they could easily be run as accepting cybernetic mods as payment for their service.

It doesn't come up in the campaign at all, but in the Guide to Numeria, the city of Chesed has a secret cabal that runs a local halfway house for convalescing Crusaders, using it as a front to get fresh bodies for the Clive Barker-themed torture experiments.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Iron Gods / Humanoid Muscle for the Technic League All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Iron Gods