Treat Wounds & Odd Races


Rules Discussion


Since the introduction of the Leshy Ancestry, we now have a race with an unusual anatomy. I have issues with the Medicine skill uses being applied to a race which is a plant. I appreciate that the rules do not prevent it, but the same issue popped up in my Age of Ashes campaign last night, when one of the party used Battle Medicine on an Anadi NPC.

I, as yet have not prevented any such healing activities in my campaigns, but it strikes me as soemthing that is indeed worth a discussion

Thoughts.....


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Don't go there.

Otherwise you'll start splitting it into a Medicine(normal) skill and a Medicine(plant) skill and a Medicine(whatever else pops up, one at a time) skill(s). Then do people have to take skill feats once for each Medicine skill they want to use them with, or just once for all? And what are you going to give Leshies to compensate for the big disad you just gave them?

If you're looking for realism here, make sure to differentiate between Medicine(flesh people) and Medicine(animal companions); a doctor is not a vet. But there's considerable overlap, so you'll need a mechanic saying you can use Medicine(flesh people) on an A/C at reduced level or something.

Don't exhaust yourself working on it---you'll want to tackle Craft next. The same skill being used to make swords, bows, armor, ships, and looms is preposterous!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

If I were dying far away from civilization, I'd want the vet to try to save me.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If anything, I think the most appropriate way to handle this is increasing the DC of the medicine check to correctly extrapolate and apply techniques on humanoids to something different.


All good points so far

The Exchange

Claxon wrote:
If anything, I think the most appropriate way to handle this is increasing the DC of the medicine check to correctly extrapolate and apply techniques on humanoids to something different.

I second this. You could also allow anyone with the Natural Medicine skill feat to use the normal DC.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Talsharien wrote:

Since the introduction of the Leshy Ancestry, we now have a race with an unusual anatomy. I have issues with the Medicine skill uses being applied to a race which is a plant. I appreciate that the rules do not prevent it, but the same issue popped up in my Age of Ashes campaign last night, when one of the party used Battle Medicine on an Anadi NPC.

I, as yet have not prevented any such healing activities in my campaigns, but it strikes me as soemthing that is indeed worth a discussion

Thoughts.....

I think it's not worth any real discussion to be quite honest.

At most, you could introduce a specialty skill feat if the distinctions between multiple different types of patients become relevant.

If you implement any form of this kind of realism, be forward with players that this is fundamentally penalizing players who stray from the norm.


MusicAddict wrote:
Talsharien wrote:

Since the introduction of the Leshy Ancestry, we now have a race with an unusual anatomy. I have issues with the Medicine skill uses being applied to a race which is a plant. I appreciate that the rules do not prevent it, but the same issue popped up in my Age of Ashes campaign last night, when one of the party used Battle Medicine on an Anadi NPC.

I, as yet have not prevented any such healing activities in my campaigns, but it strikes me as soemthing that is indeed worth a discussion

Thoughts.....

I think it's not worth any real discussion to be quite honest.

At most, you could introduce a specialty skill feat if the distinctions between multiple different types of patients become relevant.

If you implement any form of this kind of realism, be forward with players that this is fundamentally penalizing players who stray from the norm.

Totally agree.


Too much realism for me as well.


I think bandaging a wound works regardless of whether the fluid leaking out is blood, ichor or sap, and putting a splint on a broken leg helps a celery leg or an exoskeleton leg to heal straight just as much as a regular leg.


McCoy was able to treat Spock's injuries fine.


mrspaghetti wrote:
McCoy was able to treat Spock's injuries fine.

Or there was that alien doctor, Phlox, on the Enterprise who treated humans and made a point of studying a broad range of physiologies. If you're in a setting with dozens of civilized races and hundreds of other sentient races, odds are learning Medicine encompasses learning about them or general principles that could apply to them.

The Leshy is a bit exceptional, but as others have noted, it isn't worth any effort to differentiate. The only place I might make use of this is when stressing the isolation of a group, and that'd be for an NPC unless I really wanted to develop distinctions between species...which I don't.

If you're going to have Leshy in your world and even adventuring (which admittedly I wouldn't outside of Golarion), they should be able to participate as regular PCs. Unless given some mechanic that balances the setback, I suppose.


Castilliano wrote:
mrspaghetti wrote:
McCoy was able to treat Spock's injuries fine.

Or there was that alien doctor, Phlox, on the Enterprise who treated humans and made a point of studying a broad range of physiologies. If you're in a setting with dozens of civilized races and hundreds of other sentient races, odds are learning Medicine encompasses learning about them or general principles that could apply to them.

The Leshy is a bit exceptional, but as others have noted, it isn't worth any effort to differentiate. The only place I might make use of this is when stressing the isolation of a group, and that'd be for an NPC unless I really wanted to develop distinctions between species...which I don't.

If you're going to have Leshy in your world and even adventuring (which admittedly I wouldn't outside of Golarion), they should be able to participate as regular PCs. Unless given some mechanic that balances the setback, I suppose.

Leshy biology also seems like it is simple enough to kind of just wing it - their bodies are a shell that is inhabited by a nature spirit, so it is probably more like repairing a possessed teddy bear made out of vegetable matter than an alien plant creature with its own complex biology.


I'd prefer they drop medicine entirely in favor of using whichever arcane/nature/society/occult/religion would have been used to identify the target. It would have the side benefit of putting forensics with the knowledge skills rather than on medicine.


McCoy was also able to treat the wounds of creatures of living stone... by smearing wet cement on them. Which is the equivalent of treating a human's wound by slapping a raw steak on and calling it a day. I wouldn't look to Star Trek for realistic or even plausible medicine.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Fuzzy-Wuzzy wrote:
McCoy was also able to treat the wounds of creatures of living stone... by smearing wet cement on them. Which is the equivalent of treating a human's wound by slapping a raw steak on and calling it a day. I wouldn't look to Star Trek for realistic or even plausible medicine.

Agreed, Star Trek is for fun and entertainment, kinda like a role-playing game.


I would say it is entirely up to the GM. They have control over the DC adjustments RAW and I would be quite comfortable ruling based on that.

A less RAW approach could be to require a successful knowledge check to be able to attempt it. Personally I wouldn't worry too much if it is to do with a PC, I wouldn't want to interfere with PC expected capabilities and treat wounds is the new wand of cure light wounds.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / Treat Wounds & Odd Races All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.