Can a reaction trigger cleave?


Rules Discussion


Let us suppose we do have 2 reactions.

As a paladin, if an enemy within 15feets attacks an ally within 15 feets, I can use my reaction to protect the ally and strike the enemy.

If the enemy happens to die, can I use my reaction to use cleave ( from barbarian dedication )?

Quote:

Cleave ReactionFeat 6

BarbarianRage
Source Core Rulebook pg. 90
Trigger Your melee Strike kills a creature or knocks it unconscious, and another foe is adjacent to that creature.
You swing clear through one foe and into another. Make a melee Strike against the second foe.

Also, since it is a reaction, there would be no map even if I use two of them in a row or the same turn, right?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yes, and yes.

But that is 4 feats, and very conditional. So have at it.


Yeah I know.

I am mostly cornered because some classes have 2x stats requirement in order to get their dedication.

I would mostly go barbarian because of the dragon instinct ( I feel synergy between paladins and Silver dragons ) and not rage related stuff, like charge or swipe.

The champion class has no special attacks if not lategame ( like blade of Justice ).

I am in love with axe+swipe, but probably I should have rolled a fighter or a barbarian for them.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

When you say, "Let us suppose we do have 2 reactions." I'm not sure if you are saying, "imagine a character that has two abilities that are both reactions" or, "presume this is a game that allows a character to break the rules and perform two reactions in the same round."

If the former, obviously the answer is no. :)
If the latter, then sure, why not.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Iceman wrote:

When you say, "Let us suppose we do have 2 reactions." I'm not sure if you are saying, "imagine a character that has two abilities that are both reactions" or, "presume this is a game that allows a character to break the rules and perform two reactions in the same round."

If the former, obviously the answer is no. :)
If the latter, then sure, why not.

Divine Reflex at 14, gives you a second reaction.


Iceman wrote:

When you say, "Let us suppose we do have 2 reactions." I'm not sure if you are saying, "imagine a character that has two abilities that are both reactions" or, "presume this is a game that allows a character to break the rules and perform two reactions in the same round."

If the former, obviously the answer is no. :)
If the latter, then sure, why not.

Beware the champion of the light!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Adding onto this question, if you have Great Cleave, is the additional attack effected by MAP?

Say you're a Dwarf Ranger/barb with Great Cleave and you Impossible Flurry for 6 attacks. If on attack 3 you kill that target, can you then use your reaction to start Cleaving/Great Cleave and then return to the rest of the Flurry afterwards?


Vlorax wrote:
Adding onto this question, if you have Great Cleave, is the additional attack effected by MAP?

MAP applies to all attacks on your turn. Great/Cleave does nothing to change that. Reactions do nothing to change that.

Just note the "on your turn". MAP does not apply if it is not your turn (specifically mentioned, not just an oversite).

Thus, if you where surrounded by 20 Imps, and got an off-turn strike (OA, paladin, etc..), you can great cleave them all without MAP (until you rolled a 1 and missed).

Quote:
Say you're a Dwarf Ranger/barb with Great Cleave and you Impossible Flurry for 6 attacks. If on attack 3 you kill that target, can you then use your reaction to start Cleaving/Great Cleave and then return to the rest of the Flurry afterwards?

Not 100% sure about the timing, but I would say yes.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / Can a reaction trigger cleave? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.