PFS2E: Additional Resources list


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

Hello,

Any news on when we will be getting an Additional Resources list for Pathfinder 2nd Edition Books.

Thank you

Sczarni 5/5 ⦵⦵

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

It's built into the Guide.

3/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thank you, Nefreet, this is very helpful.

Grand Archive

Nefreet wrote:
It's built into the Guide.

almost 3 months and it hasnt even been touched since they made it.no official errata, no additional resources despite multiple sources of new content released.

i believe the real question is how many months will we go before society gets any new stuff legalized? at this rate we might as well play everything until they say no. cuz honestly 2 scenarios a month gets REALLY old really fast when we have all this new stuff and dont technically have a list of what we can or cant use.

again, its reaching 3 months and society has nothing but core. which wouldnt suck as much if that was the only thing that existed.

Grand Archive

Azymondias wrote:
Nefreet wrote:
It's built into the Guide.

almost 3 months and it hasnt even been touched since they made it.no official errata, no additional resources despite multiple sources of new content released.

i believe the real question is how many months will we go before society gets any new stuff legalized? at this rate we might as well play everything until they say no. cuz honestly 2 scenarios a month gets REALLY old really fast when we have all this new stuff and dont technically have a list of what we can or cant use.

again, its reaching 3 months and society has nothing but core. which wouldnt suck as much if that was the only thing that existed.

sorry new to forums, but not pathfinder. couldnt find an edit button

is there any point for society players to even buy any books until theyre officially supported for society? at the rate it's going it's just....so mentally painful to have all this stuff and not be allowed to use it in society, only because society is all i really get to play (along with a lot of people in my area)

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Colorado—Denver aka roll4initiative

I've been doing PFS for 10 years and, yes, I wait til a book gets added to AR before buying it. It does take a few months for a book to be added to the AR.

The Exchange 4/5

they gave us a 640 page book with lots of stuff, have yall truly mastered it and ran out of choices? my first game was september 25th 2008. event number 14. guess what,we had a lot less to play with back than. PLEASE give them time to organize things.

Sczarni 5/5 ⦵⦵

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Azymondias wrote:
sorry new to forums, but not pathfinder

But you must be new to Pathfinder Society, judging by your one PFS1 character.

Campaign Leadership strives to release as much content as possible in as timely a manner as possible. Many of us can say with experience that waiting for several weeks (on the shorter end) to several months (on the longer end) is the usual par for the course.

For PFS2, it will unfortunately be a longer wait. John Compton, the most experienced member, stepped down from Campaign Leadership and moved over to the Starfinder side. Downsizing from three people to two is going to cause some delays.

Consider everything they have to do in a 40-hour work week:
• Travel to Conventions
• Write the material for those 2 scenarios + 1 quest per month
• Plan timelines and plot points for years to come
• Work on the Guide to Organized Play
• Evaluate new content
• Recruit, interview, hire, train, educate, etc. new people
• Sanction content
• Invent creative Chronicles and other rewards
• Plan the annual Special
• Keep up to date on the Forums so as to monitor and unforeseen issues
• Maintain a work-life balance that lessens the chance for burnout
• And prioritize all of the above to lose as little profit as possible so that they can introduce more/cooler things down the road

Seems a lot for two people to handle. Don't you agree?

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jeff Morse wrote:
they gave us a 640 page book with lots of stuff, have yall truly mastered it and ran out of choices? my first game was september 25th 2008. event number 14. guess what,we had a lot less to play with back than. PLEASE give them time to organize things.

maybe they should organize it before releasing it then. the majority of the book is useless for society cuz nobody cant even be level 5 yet. and yet theyre focusing on putting out more things society cant use instead of updating society? more scenarios would be more useful than more books, because as you said, its a large book with lots of options, and society doesnt have the amount of scenarios, or at least not enough replayables, to properly use all that info

1/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

They have to sell the books to keep the lights on to pay for all the other things. Unfortunately, the Organized Play section is a small fraction, and therefore not as priority as keeping the lights on.

Grand Archive

Wei Ji the Learner wrote:


They have to sell the books to keep the lights on to pay for all the other things. Unfortunately, the Organized Play section is a small fraction, and therefore not as priority as keeping the lights on.

all those big cons getting paizo tons of advertising, all for exclusively society play, seems to say otherwise. they spend a lot of money on those society only situations where hundreds of thousands of people show up and look, buy, play.

i mean if society was so small, why did they rip out over 50% of all content in 1e society? why not just take out all the pure evil things and leave everything else? all the fun things like all the races and some classes and archetypes and prestige classes? Either because it's much bigger than we think or they're just terrible managers and want to reap as much profits as they can from society stuff at cons like the catfolk boons that sold for thousands, androids which were similar, maybe sell all that paizo merch at cons where they always have something slightly different and new that tons of people will buy just because.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Azymondias wrote:
all those big cons getting paizo tons of advertising, all for exclusively society play, seems to say otherwise. they spend a lot of money on those society only situations where hundreds of thousands of people show up and look, buy, play.

Where did you get the idea that advertising Pathfinder and Starfinder to hundreds of thousands of non-Society gamers at cons is "society only situations"?

Picking up the new system at GenCon did not mean that anyone was forced to play PFS games. In fact, there were nowhere near enough seats for PFS games to cover the number of Core Rulebooks sold.

Paizo doesn't make any money from boons. They give them away for FREE.

Paizo puts their rules online for FREE. Anyone can play Pathfinder without buying a single page of Paizo published material.

Quote:
i mean if society was so small, why did they rip out over 50% of all content in 1e society? why not just take out all the pure evil things and leave everything else?

They made those changes to create a better game. One that didn't have a bunch of rules changes bolted on to a chassis that was 10 years old.

It might help you understand if you read this blog post, "New Edition The Hard Way by the Director Of Game Design here at Paizo.

Quote:
they're just terrible managers and want to reap as much profits as they can from society stuff at cons like the catfolk boons that sold for thousands, androids which were similar, maybe sell all that paizo merch at cons where they always have something slightly different and new that tons of people will buy just because.

Again, Paizo makes their product available for free. And boon sales can only enrich the person who earned the boon, because, again, Paizo gives those away for free if you play in a PFS game.

And you know what? If you don't play in official PFS games, you DON'T NEED A BOON TO PLAY ANYTHING. You just read up on the rules, and play whatever character you want to play.

Your intense feelings about PFS are getting in the way of your common sense.

The Exchange 1/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Unfortunately, I think you are under the misconception that Paizo is there to promote Organized Play when in fact it is the other way around. Organized play is there to promote Paizo products and book sales! Yes it has a large following and yes is has a rabid fan base, but as other posters have said it is first and foremost an engine to sell Paizo/Pathfinder products! I love organized play, I play and GM quite a lot of PFS/SFS and I'm a subscriber of WAY too much stuff, so I feel your frustration! I'm right there with you, but PAIZO's dollars and sense issues, staffing issues, edition roll issues, ect are not our purview. All we can do is wait, and waiting is often the hardest part.

Liberty's Edge 3/5 Venture-Captain, Nebraska—Omaha

Azymondias wrote:


sorry new to forums, but not pathfinder. couldnt find an edit button

Don't feel bad. The edit (and delete) button only exist for about an hour before the post is locked in until the end of time!

Liberty's Edge 3/5 Venture-Captain, Nebraska—Omaha

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Azymondias wrote:
Nefreet wrote:
It's built into the Guide.

almost 3 months and it hasnt even been touched since they made it.no official errata, no additional resources despite multiple sources of new content released.

i believe the real question is how many months will we go before society gets any new stuff legalized? at this rate we might as well play everything until they say no. cuz honestly 2 scenarios a month gets REALLY old really fast when we have all this new stuff and dont technically have a list of what we can or cant use.

again, its reaching 3 months and society has nothing but core. which wouldnt suck as much if that was the only thing that existed.

First, welcome to Pathfinder Society!! From reading the posts, I think that got lost.

Somethings to keep in mind when posting here.

First, there are ALOT of knowledgeable players who post here. There is likely nothing that you can ask about that has not already been asked at least 3 times!

Second, please don't take the short answers you might receive personal. People who are replying to your posts are trying to provide the most information in the most efficient manner.

Third, it is the normal for Society players to have to wait some period of time for things to become sanctioned. Heck, we are still waiting for things to be sanctioned from 1e!! As a Society player, you have to learn patience. It is the price we have to pay to play our characters ANYWHERE in the world that is running a Society game. You can't take a home game character to a different home game and expect to keep that character intact like we do with Society characters.

Fourth, the folks who are doing the work for US to enjoy Society games are shorthanded. And with turnover, they are going to have to work on training the new people when they come on board. This being said, John left us in the very good hands of Linda. I know she is working very hard getting everything done that needs to get done. And John is still around to provide her, and the rest of the Organized Play team, support.

And Fifth, Paizo is on a schedule to put out materials for all players, not just Society players. There is a large number of players who don't like Society Play (I personally don't understand this but ok) so Paizo is filling that demand. It is convenient that adventures are put out for "Society Play" but they are really being put out for everyone.

So welcome! Enjoy the ride that is Society play. As others have noted, there is a lot in the CRB that can be played now. There is no rush to get to the other stuff.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

To be fair, you'd think they would be getting their act together a little bit more with the new edition. With the 2e core essentially being mostly the same as 1e core in terms of races and classes, and 1e having been out for over 10 years, maybe some people are a little bit sick and tired of playing the same things in core/mostly core after 10 years, or any amount of years really.

Maybe there are some non core things that are already released that they really really really like and if those were core or already legal (cuz maybe they understand paizo takes a little to update additional resources, but starfinder was pretty fast on some of their AR updates) you probably wouldnt see a peep out of them.

I know someone who literally wont touch 2e until Tengus come out and that's only because there's no playable panda race so tengus became their go-to ONLY race. Tengus wont be out until at least next gen con, and probably another few months after that before they become legal, so that really sucks because he's an amazing roleplayer, and theyre just sick of core too. Theyve been playing a human for 30 years irl, give them a break for not wanting to play essentially lord of the rings, because that's sort of what core is. And of all the new races they could have brought in, they chose goblins...the dumbest and most annoying of races to bring to society. I've heard a lot of people preferring kobolds instead lol. At least kobolds can be reasoned into society. There's the sewer dragons of absolam...the high profile kobold scenario of society where kobolds actually do good work, unlike goblins, until paizo just retcons everything. But i digress, things could have been handled way better.

i was actually gonna have a giant edit to agree with them and some other things, but then paizos website broke on submit edit, so that explains, in itself, how society is. it's broken lol

Grand Lodge 4/5

5 people marked this as a favorite.

I like goblins.

Folks, the My way or the highway approach mixed with a sense of entitlement is going to get you nowhere. Pathfinder Second Edition is a great game. If some people refuse to play it because they didn't get X in the game, then that's life.

I am too busy running sessions for the people who are enjoying the great game that PFS2 is.

Have a nice day!

Sczarni 5/5 ⦵⦵

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Aetheldrake wrote:
you'd think they would be getting their act together a little bit more with the new edition.

How do you suppose, when Campaign Leadership dropped from three people, to two?

They're aware of *what* needs to be done, there just aren't the hours available to do it all right now.

1/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Xathos of Varisia wrote:

I like goblins.

Folks, the My way or the highway approach mixed with a sense of entitlement is going to get you nowhere. Pathfinder Second Edition is a great game. If some people refuse to play it because they didn't get X in the game, then that's life.

I am too busy running sessions for the people who are enjoying the great game that PFS2 is.

Have a nice day!

I'd like to enjoy playing PF2e, and boost the game by positive play experience.

However, needing to conserve play opportunity for when/if a race I will enjoy playing is a strong consideration factor.

If that is considered entitlement in the negative sense, then being treated like an unwanted member is not going to magically make me appreciate wasting limited play chances.

If anything, it will encourage the opposite.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nefreet wrote:
Aetheldrake wrote:
you'd think they would be getting their act together a little bit more with the new edition.

How do you suppose, when Campaign Leadership dropped from three people, to two?

They're aware of *what* needs to be done, there just aren't the hours available to do it all right now.

That's what Time Stop is for. ;)

Sczarni 5/5 ⦵⦵

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Yeah but the only caster who was high enough level for that moved over to Starfinder, where there aren't any spells higher than 6th =(

Scarab Sages 4/5

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Azymondias wrote:


catfolk boons that sold for thousands, androids which were similar,

I just wanted to point out that those were sold to raise money for Charities, not Paizo. Every year they do Silent Charity auctions for interesting boons like Androids, Catfolk etc. They aren't selling them to make any profit. All of the proceeds go to the specific Charity or Charities they are sponsoring that year.

Grand Lodge 4/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Wei Ji the Learner wrote:
Xathos of Varisia wrote:

I like goblins.

Folks, the My way or the highway approach mixed with a sense of entitlement is going to get you nowhere. Pathfinder Second Edition is a great game. If some people refuse to play it because they didn't get X in the game, then that's life.

I am too busy running sessions for the people who are enjoying the great game that PFS2 is.

Have a nice day!

I'd like to enjoy playing PF2e, and boost the game by positive play experience.

However, needing to conserve play opportunity for when/if a race I will enjoy playing is a strong consideration factor.

If that is considered entitlement in the negative sense, then being treated like an unwanted member is not going to magically make me appreciate wasting limited play chances.

If anything, it will encourage the opposite.

So to satisfy you they would have to make the Tengu a playable race from the beginning? You do realize they have to make choices due to limitations of space? They made a decision and that's that. If you don't want to play because you only want to play one race and one race only, that's your decision. I respect that.

I'll be playing Pathfinder Second Edition in the meantime.

1/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Xathos of Varisia wrote:


So to satisfy you they would have to make the Tengu a playable race from the beginning? You do realize they have to make choices due to limitations of space? They made a decision and that's that. If you don't want to play because you only want to play one race and one race only, that's your decision. I respect that.

I'll be playing Pathfinder Second Edition in the meantime.

It would have been 'nice' but other races would have worked as well. Kobolds. Lizardfolk heck, one of the faction leaders is one, if they aren't a playable race from 'go' why did they bother?. Something that isn't 'human'.

Slight ramble of mindset atm:

As someone else stated up-thread, I've been playing a human for the past 'n' years IRL, and when I play in fantasy I want to play something *different*. Lumping 'half' elves and 'half' orcs in with them doesn't help for those.

Elves are just tall humans that live longer and are 'better than everyone else'. The ones who try not to be are more or less considered outcasts.

Dwarves are just a horrible parody of short Scottish and Irish people who have a substance abuse problem.

Halflings are super-short humans that tend to have an eating disorder that's played up for fun (and profit?). Or they're recently freed slaves with an axe to grind.

Goblins are either illiterate pyromaniacs who want to watch the world burn or the most erudite scholars that no one ever heard of, but they still typically don't read or care about consequences beyond the 'now'. Oh, and they have an even greater eating disorder than the halflings, also played up for fun and/or profit.

Gnomes are short elves that try hard to not be 'better than everyone else'. And they end up going grey as a result of not.

1/5

The problem with overly reductive arguments is that work just as well the other way- a Tengu is just a human with a beak, a Lizardfolk is just a green human.

At the end of the day the characterisation comes primarily from the player, and we are sadly mostly human, so in general most people will play their characters as "Human plus stereotype". The background for all the Core races highlights that they can be very different from humans if played that way.

2/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Based on my own frustration and that of people who play PFS in my area, I think a not insignificant part of discontent over Additional Resources is that there's no set time frame. A book can come out and there's just no knowing when new options will be added. It creates an extra layer of frustration. You get a book, you like some things and you know that a fraction of material is gonna be PFS legal (might be a big fraction, might be a small one). So you're already forced to temper your excitement. Then add on that there's nothing remotely resembling a schedule.

It would be nice if there was even a broad schedule.
It could be as simple as:

Things released between GenCon and the end of October will be sanctioned in early December (in time for the holidays). Things released between November and March will be Sanctioned in early May (in time for PaizoCon). Things released between April and June would be sanctioned in time for GenCon.

This would have the added benefit for stores that cater to a regular PFS crowd. Knowing when PFS is adding new material would help them move more product and give them an idea of when to order said product. I know our local store owner has questioned why demand for a five month old product spiked (and then not been able to get it in easily) because something became PFS legal.

Just having a basic time frame takes some of the frustration out of a system that people seem to be constantly frustrated with.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Kromkore wrote:
Are they even trying to find someone else?

How often do you check the job postings* at Paizo?

Do you have any idea at all how long some of those have been open?

I'm not sure why you're assuming ill-intent on the part of Paizo staff.

*Hint:
There's a link at the bottom of every single page on this website


CrystalSeas wrote:
Kromkore wrote:
Are they even trying to find someone else?

How often do you check the job postings* at Paizo?

Do you have any idea at all how long some of those have been open?

I'm not sure why you're assuming ill-intent on the part of Paizo staff.

*Hint:
There's a link at the bottom of every single page on this website

I actually don’t see a posting about that, not that I remotely qualify. I know we all want the work done, and I’m sure campaign leadership wants it done almost as much as we do. What would help, is a little more transparency about the effort. Once a month, just tell us where they are in the backlog. Tonya did this once, but other than that it’s been near-complete radio silence. I’d be happy with a once-a-month “Hey fans, we’re still struggling, but this is where we are, bear with us.” The sound of crickets and “Better” fans calling for us to be patient doesn’t help.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
medtec28 wrote:
CrystalSeas wrote:
Kromkore wrote:
Are they even trying to find someone else?

How often do you check the job postings* at Paizo?

Do you have any idea at all how long some of those have been open?

I'm not sure why you're assuming ill-intent on the part of Paizo staff.

*Hint:
There's a link at the bottom of every single page on this website

I actually don’t see a posting about that, not that I remotely qualify. I know we all want the work done, and I’m sure campaign leadership wants it done almost as much as we do. What would help, is a little more transparency about the effort. Once a month, just tell us where they are in the backlog. Tonya did this once, but other than that it’s been near-complete radio silence. I’d be happy with a once-a-month “Hey fans, we’re still struggling, but this is where we are, bear with us.” The sound of crickets and “Better” fans calling for us to be patient doesn’t help.

You say, I honestly believe you are being sincere in this would ease your wait.

But previous examples of asking for this and employees obliging did not help the situation sadly, it just made the grar more bold.

3/5 Venture-Agent, Canada—Alberta—Grand Prairie aka DM Livgin

Rysky wrote:


But previous examples of asking for this and employees obliging did not help the situation sadly, it just made the grar more bold.

What does grar mean? Where is the word from?


Agree to disagree. The last time we heard from Tonya, she did exactly this, and in my opinion it was her best move since taking over the campaign.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ward Davis wrote:
Rysky wrote:


But previous examples of asking for this and employees obliging did not help the situation sadly, it just made the grar more bold.
What does grar mean? Where is the word from?

No idea the origin, but rage, whining, fights, that sort of unpleasantness.

3/5 Venture-Agent, Canada—Alberta—Grand Prairie aka DM Livgin

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Ward Davis wrote:
Rysky wrote:


But previous examples of asking for this and employees obliging did not help the situation sadly, it just made the grar more bold.
What does grar mean? Where is the word from?
No idea the origin, but rage, whining, fights, that sort of unpleasantness.

Thanks!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Np ^w^

Sczarni 5/5 ⦵⦵

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber
medtec28 wrote:
we all want the work done, and I’m sure campaign leadership wants it done almost as much as we do

This little dig is absolutely unwarranted.

We're the ones who *want* it done. For us, it's a luxury.

Paizo employees *need* it done. For them, it's a paycheck.


Nefreet wrote:
medtec28 wrote:
we all want the work done, and I’m sure campaign leadership wants it done almost as much as we do

This little dig is absolutely unwarranted.

We're the ones who *want* it done. For us, it's a luxury.

Paizo employees *need* it done. For them, it's a paycheck.

As others have pointed out, they don’t NEED to sanction anything at all. But that wasn’t the point of my post, and I do believe that was understood.

Nefertiti, I’m starting to feel there is some personal animosity here. Every time I post, you seem to look for some opportunity to tell me I’m wrong and my opinion is invalid and unwanted. If this is the case, I will be happy to hash this out somewhere other than these boards. This does not seem to be the proper venue.

My intent was to simply ask for transparency. In losing John, they lost not only their most experienced team member, but their most community facing one as well, neither Tonya nor Linda engage with us as much as he did. That isn’t their style, and that is okay. On her last blog Tonya gave us some transparency, and I think it was hands down her best move since taking over. I am simply asking for more of that. Maybe roll it into one of the weekly blogs.

I think most of us know they are overwhelmed, and want to be understanding, but the radio silence and overprotective fan faction make it hard for us to be as understanding as we want to be.

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

Is it an issue with Tonya & Linda's style, or simply a matter of there is so much to do right now they don't have enough time to be as responsive as they would like? Transparency takes time. Also note that Paizo's message boards are not the only method of communication staff has to deal with. I have noticed most Paizo staff seems to be more responsive to Facebook than these forums lately.

Sczarni 5/5 ⦵⦵

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber
medtec28 wrote:
I’m starting to feel there is some personal animosity here.

Wasn't aware I've ever responded to you, before.

You don't have an avatar, any titles, or any Stars or Novas that distinguish yourself (to me).

Nothing about the post you quoted was intended as an attack on you as a person. Just what you typed.

medtec28 wrote:
Every time I post, you seem to look for some opportunity to tell me I’m wrong

I'm a fan of symbolic logic. Try looking at it from this point of view:

Every time
(someone)
Posts something
(I feel needs addressing)
I respond to it


medtec28 wrote:
Nefreet wrote:
medtec28 wrote:
we all want the work done, and I’m sure campaign leadership wants it done almost as much as we do

This little dig is absolutely unwarranted.

We're the ones who *want* it done. For us, it's a luxury.

Paizo employees *need* it done. For them, it's a paycheck.

As others have pointed out, they don’t NEED to sanction anything at all. But that wasn’t the point of my post, and I do believe that was understood.

warning long post, not meant to be a rant. just personal experience with playing at different society locations through out the entire state and multiple cons.

are you sure they dont NEED to do it? others have said society only exists to advertise their stuff so people can buy it and take it home to play home games.

well a lot of people ONLY have time for society on a set schedule before they decide to do home games, maybe once a week or even less frequently. At least with society they have better chances of being able to play while a homegame could have to wait extended periods of time due to life getting in the way. i know someone who's been in a homegame for 2 years and theyre barely at level 5 because there's almost always something coming up for at least 1 person. And while some people may try to argue that it isnt the case, and if the multiple pathfinder society discords growing rapidly in the past years and gaining more society support even boons for online cons and multiple online cons means anything, then yes society is a major part of the game.

Wouldnt making more things available for society, so that more people play and see these things, mean more publicity so more people would be more inclined to buy things and play at home, as others have decided arbitrarily is the main player base, even though supposedly society is how they advertise. How can they advertise their content when their main advertising venue is excruciatingly slowly updated? Wouldn't more content in society mean more ACTUAL advertisement for their actual content instead of only a fraction of the stuff?

Example, almost nobody wants to pay 25/35 dollars, OR MORE because of shipping, for something that ends up not being what they expected because the little they know about it from their advertising, which is society play and/or cons (which also means society play since most games ran at cons ARE society play, because societys gimmick is play with anyone anywhere). A lot of people have stopped buying and/or playing 1e because it's no longer society supported and will take what feels like forever to get the AR updated. BTW 1e is still waiting on updates to their AR, and with 2e out now, chances arent great that people will be more likely to jump into that ugly moshpit of power creep or buy more stuff for it.

Almost all pathfinder/dnd players have specific interests when they play. According to reddit, a lot of people are hesitant to buy and/or play because what theyre interested in doesnt exist yet and/or isnt sanctioned for play.

I have a friend that doesnt want to play until tengu come out, homegames or society, but may like lizardfolk as a holdover. One friend doesnt really want to play until blight druids return because he plays almost exclusively druidic characters, but may play a little bit of regular druid just because druids DO exist, however he will buy less and play less because there is no blight druid, his 1st pc of 1e. Another one is happily looking over things and theorycrafting and playing because gnomes do exist, his favorite race. Another is waiting to make his next character because after finding out leshys were in the next book, he wants to remake his leshykineticist in society because of a leshy boon he got a while ago. While he understands he cant play a kineticist he mostly just wants to play his leshy named Berry Healthy because it makes him happy. Another is waiting to buy stuff because he loves reptiles and wants to play a nagaji/lizardfolk like character but only plays society. One just doesnt play at all anymore because he cant make super OP characters that roll ALL the d6s or because he cant just entirely obliterate everything in his path, and as an aasimar. I could probably go on and on with this list of people that. I've heard of a few that hate 2e just because it exists and all the choices and OP options of 1e (and OPness of 1e in general) is gone. This list could go on and has gone on for too long already, i apologize.

Point is, society is probably bigger than most people think. It is certainly much larger than it used to be. My local stores that i try to play at every sunday and even a restaurant that we play at every other saturday that supports board games has actually recently gained more people to play than they can even sit!

Again i apologize for the long post. But ever since the admittedly difficult admission into pathfinder (because let's be honest, if youve never played roleplayihng board games before, it's extremely difficult to start up), the game has LITERALLY changed my life, and i do want the best for it. My opinion is probably a little greedy though does have the best interest in my state's society play.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

If you can’t play home games due to something coming up the same applies to Society games, they don’t give you a shield from life being screwey (unfortunately).

Also I’m not following how after playing a Society game and enjoying it they then buy the system and promptly hate it.


Nefreet wrote:
medtec28 wrote:
I’m starting to feel there is some personal animosity here.

Wasn't aware I've ever responded to you, before.

You don't have an avatar, any titles, or any Stars or Novas that distinguish yourself (to me).

Nothing about the post you quoted was intended as an attack on you as a person. Just what you typed.

medtec28 wrote:
Every time I post, you seem to look for some opportunity to tell me I’m wrong

I'm a fan of symbolic logic. Try looking at it from this point of view:

Every time
(someone)
Posts something
(I feel needs addressing)
I respond to it

I’m sorry, what is the minimum number of glyphs, novas and stars required to express an opinion again, I can’t find it listed anywhere?

I recognize you, but not because of those credentials, but rather your tactic of shouting down discordant opinions. We have had several interactions, and not once will you discourse, instead you tell me repeatedly that I am wrong, without ever lowering yourself to explain why. So you can shout me down, congrats.

So you have more time in the seat than I do, won’t even argue that. You’re a more loyal fan than I am, won’t even argue that. So ask, why does this insignificant 0 star, 0 nova, 0 glyph person challenge the all knowing better PFS fans?

I have a different opinion, and think things can be better. Maybe you think things are perfect, and that’s fine, but I don’t, and therefore, until someone with real cache tells me to stop, I will keep pushing to make things better.

Respond if you like, or don’t, don’t care.

All I have left to say about this thread is leadership is trying
Transparency is best
Fans should be understanding

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Alaska—Anchorage aka Dragnmoon

8 people marked this as a favorite.

Wow, ok he is not saying you have less of a voice due to lack of stars, he is saying your account is not memorable because it is mostly blank... You have no avatar to remember you by (which many use to remember posters), you have no subscriptions or stars/novas. Due to that he has no memories of ever responded to you. it is hard to distinguish from others.

Envoy's Alliance

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Just some thoughts, I just recently got involved with Pathfinder. 2e was just coming out, I didn't have a group my local hobby store barely had any product no one was playing pathfinder 2e. I found a group through the pathfinder2e society an hour away. If you want to sell product you have to have people playing the game. As people have said, organized play allows people to try the game, become familiar with the rules and maybe start running home games and having their players buy the books. We in the pathfinder society are the early adopters, champions of the game if we get the new stuff first we promote the hell out of it. I am excited to play this game and use all the stuff that is available. As time goes by maybe I will become a little less excited and think about moving to a different game.
Thank for allowing me to put in my two cents.


Steven Lau wrote:
Wow, ok he is not saying you have less of a voice due to lack of stars, he is saying your account is not memorable because it is mostly blank... You have no avatar to remember you by (which many use to remember posters), you have no subscriptions or stars/novas. Due to that he has no memories of ever responded to you. it is hard to distinguish from others.

With all due respect, that is not at all how this response read to me, however, I will admit it has been colored by our previous interactions. I still definitely feel as though the intention of pointing out my lack of “distinguish” was to belittle me and my opinions. If that is in fact sincerely not the case, then I apologize.

Silver Crusade 5/5 ⦵⦵ Venture-Captain, Germany—Bavaria

5 people marked this as a favorite.

I can really suggest choosing an avatar, which makes it easier to remember people, at least for me.

1/5

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Slight derail on avatars;

...on the rare occaision I manage to make it out to a convention, people recognize me more for the avatar I use on the forums than my real name or my GM alias. It does help, and it also helps cement one's personality, of what they're trying to show folks.

Back to topics at hand...

They don't have the bodies, nor the time.

They have quadruple the workload in OrgPlay from 2011 Pathfinder, Pathfinder ACG, Starfinder, PF2e at the minimum.

During that time they brought on a couple more folks to help with PFS, brought on a couple of people for Starfinder, and retasked someone to ACG from other projects.

So to be generous we're looking at maybe 7-9 people doing what is a full-time job on top of their paying job, when the job requires about 10-12 people to do it solely. No company is going to pay for that. It's unaffordable in the long run.

I've been in seperate 'living' campaigns in the past where we were trying to keep a rules system that had been out of print for twenty years 'going'.

Our developmental and organizational meetings turned into AR-esque damage control as someone brutally abused some corner niche rule. And then folks would abuse our bandage which was carefully and clearly thought out. AND then... we'd get yelled at for 'not having enough new content'. And we were VOLUNTEERS.

So I see OrgPlay and I am thankful for what they can do with the limited resources they have available, and can cut them a bit of slack.

Side note: I envisioned this being an issue after they announced the roll-out of Starfinder back at PaizoCon 2016, and then again after the roll-out of PF2e. Splitting the resources one has to maintain one's systems is never a good idea when one has limited resources to begin with.

Still, what can one do, short of just 'walking away'?

What happens if too many people just 'walk away'?


Tarnel wrote:
We in the pathfinder society are the early adopters, champions of the game if we get the new stuff first we promote the hell out of it.

society players are the last to get everything and cant promote anything because they cant use over half the content in game, and what they can use takes months to get permission to use lol, which is kind of backwards since others claim society only exists to advertise.

3/5 Venture-Agent, Massachusetts—Boston Metro aka MadScientistWorking

Aetheldrake wrote:
Tarnel wrote:
We in the pathfinder society are the early adopters, champions of the game if we get the new stuff first we promote the hell out of it.
society players are the last to get everything and cant promote anything because they cant use over half the content in game, and what they can use takes months to get permission to use lol, which is kind of backwards since others claim society only exists to advertise.

Can I ask what region your in?

Scarab Sages

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Just to chime in - I was really enjoying PFS2e gameplay before I realized that the awesome new content they were releasing wasn’t something I’d get to play with in a timely fashion. Now I’ve pulled back from playing entirely, and am on the fence about cancelling my subscription to PF2e because of it. I paid ludicrous shipping costs for early access to the books, loved reading them, then felt nothing but disappointment that I’d need to find a home game if I wanted to play it. So those who are frustrated here are not alone. I understand Paizo OP is understaffed, but I feel it really is in their best interest to find a way to let people play their fabulous new content near release. The PFS players I’ve had the honor of playing with are wonderful, but I just can’t find myself to make it down to the PFS venue when I’ve been so inspired to try out some new character concept and I cannot because of additional resources delays.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / PFS2E: Additional Resources list All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.