|1 person marked this as a favorite.|
As I chose my avatar for this forum, I found some glitches.
1. The first problem I discovered is that the filters/search for Type does not work well with the Types actually on many avatars. When I went to pick my avatar, I searched for Shirren and there were only 2 options shown. Now after looking through every single page of avatars I've counted 13 avatars with Type: Shirren, including my new avatar. 11 of them can't be found by filtering/searching.
Likewise, searching/filtering for Ratfolk only brings up 5 avatars, but there are actually 20. Most are type Ysoki (which you can't search for) and one is type Monstrous Humanoid. I think there are more Android avatars than come up by searching, too.
There are 2 Lizardfolk and 1 Kenku with Type: Monstrous Humanoid instead of Reptilian and Tengu.
Reptilian and Repitilian are both searchable options. Several avatars are type “Repitilian”.
There’s an odd situation in which the Werebat-kin, Werecrocodile-kin, and Skinwalker are all type Shapechanger, but the Were-Kyra (which looks like a gnoll) is type Human.
Several avatars have types that are not search/filter options: Artificial Intelligence, Centaur, Fetchling, Gillman, Gray, Grippli, Humanoid (not monstrous humanoid), Kasatha, Kish, Munravi, Ord, Samsaran, Sarcesian, Strix, Vesk, Vishkanya, Wayang, and Wyvaran. But these types are not search/filter options. Vesk and Wyvaran doen’t show up under Reptilian or 'Repitilian'.
2. While looking for an avatar I continuously had to deal with this problem. The description box for each avatar takes up a lot of vertical space – in many cases, it’s too tall to fit on my widescreen laptop monitor. It’s especially a problem when subtype and/or deity are listed. To fit this on my screen I would have to zoom out, making the avatars small and hard to see clearly. I’ve noticed that many other parts of this website are designed to fit only on a narrower, taller monitor and don’t adapt to the shape of my monitor, leaving wide left and right margins and making lots of stuff disappear down the bottom of my screen. Avatar selection is an especially problematic example. Yes, I can scroll down (usually) but the way it’s designed, I can only see a fraction of the intended screen image/information/whatever at once. In this case I have to scroll down until the avatar is out of sight to read the bottom of the description. In several cases in the bottom row of each page, I can’t scroll down far enough to see the bottom of the description at all, because it disappears into the big blue and black area at the bottom of the website.
2. While manually searching for a new Shirren avatar, I found that several avatars have no name or description, and no source. Some are currently being “used by -1 people”. Sorting by usage doesn’t gather them at the end, in fact it doesn’t seem to sort by how many use the avatar. These are all the ones I found, sorted by date:
- Grey humanoid with pointed ears, glowy red eyes, and a wolf/bear head on their head. Sorted by date, is between Muldnal and Bregga Dreamstalker. -1 users
- ^ Similar-looking humanoid with no hat. Is between Ibzairiak the Dragon and Dearga Finlay. 0 users
- A copy of Archbaron Darellus Fex. Is between Ginerva and Donarda Gedraedius. Has -1 users
- 2 in a row with -1 users each: a 4-eyed, tentacled, horned, blue something and an upset-looking elf with a forehead tattoo. They are in between The First Warden and Natsiel.
- Blue Shirren with gold armor and red goggles, in between a Human Technomancer (named “Technomancer”) and a Human Ace Pilot. 1 user.
- 2 in a row, 1 user and 3 users. Angry, glowing eyed, blueish woman and a human man. They’re in between Yamtisy and Captain Jemma Redclaw.
- Apparently a Kitsune, used by 15 people, in between Reiko and a Human Summoner named “Summoner”
- Blue humanoid with antlers and white eyes. Between Giant Killer and Fire Giant. 1 user.
- Irritated looking redhead Human man. 3 users. In between 2 of Lictor Octavio Sabinus and looks like the same guy, I think.
- Orkish looking green person. 0 users. In between Ewigga and Urnsul.
- Veiled humanoid. 6 users. In between Adowyn and Seltyiel.
- Humanoid woman with an icicle crown, used by 14 people. Between Ezren and Riftwarden.
- Shouting human man, in between a Black Dragon from Dragons Revisited and a Red Dragon from ?. 34 users.
- Man in a purple beret, in between Drizz’t miniature and cartoon Wil Save. 15 users.
4. An unrelated problem is that the text formatting to create a list doesn't work on this forum, as you can see above.
I can corroborate the issues listed above, and would like to bring attention that these (and similar) errors are increasingly long-term, unresolved issues, in particular issue #1.
I posted this thread in May of 2018 detailing steps to reproduce and outcomes, and the exact issue is still present (you will be unable to find any picture of "Estra" if you filter by "Iconic", for example, despite all of the Avatar pictures of her being labelled as an Iconic in the description).
This has been raised (and that thread having been linked) at other times during this thread, and it hasn't seen any action for the last coupl
Rysky wrote:Because avatar management is very low on the list of issues the tech team has to deal with.I guess asking for new avatars won't get much traction then. I saw someone asking for Iron Gods avatars. I'm surprised those were never added.
We’ve had a selection of avatars added from Iron Gods, we’re up to War for the Crown I believe.