Unchained Rogue Question


Advice


Can you choose to add dex to damage for natural attacks with the unchained rogue?


Natural weapons are considered light weapons.

Weapon Finesse works on any light weapon.

Finesse Training allows you to select one weapon that you can use Weapon Finesse with.

Fairly certain that you'd need to pick the specific type of natural weapon (claw, bite, gore), though.


Quixote wrote:

Natural weapons are considered light weapons.

Weapon Finesse works on any light weapon.

Finesse Training allows you to select one weapon that you can use Weapon Finesse with.

Fairly certain that you'd need to pick the specific type of natural weapon (claw, bite, gore), though.

Quixote sums it up perfectly. If you choose a specific type of natural weapon (like Claw or Bite or Slam etc.) with your Finesse Training class feature you would be able to add Dex to Damage with that specific natural attack type.


Has anyone actually done this as a player in a campaign?

I was thinking of playing a catfolk rogue(unchained) using claws.


Dragon78 wrote:

Has anyone actually done this as a player in a campaign?

I was thinking of playing a catfolk rogue(unchained) using claws.

Not as a player (forever GM here), but I had a NPC once who did. It worked, and was fun; certainly not optimized but very thematic. The sad part about using claws is that you are stuck with just 2 attacks. I slapped some levels of urban barbarian on top of it and had some real fun ambushing the players with the use of the decoy ring. It is a higher level item, but the combat became very interesting.


Yomabo wrote:
The sad part about using claws is that you are stuck with just 2 attacks.

That is not really true. You can use additional attacks, they just won't do much damage when not Sneak Attacking. What else is new for a Rogue? I'd actually value an attack at full BAB that doesn't get dex-to-damage higher than an attack that does but is made at -5 BAB. But even with only two claws, you're ahead of a non-TWF Rogue for number of attacks. You have the same cost issue as a TWF Rogue, but no -2 penalty and no feat tax.

Overall, I'd say it neither makes nor breaks an unRogue. It doesn't really fix the Rogue's problems, but it's actually better than your run-of-the-mill TWF Rogue. It's a shame you can't take Claw Pounce prior to level 14 (unless you're good at puppy dog eyes and can convince your GM to let you count Rogue levels as BAB).


Derklord wrote:
Yomabo wrote:
The sad part about using claws is that you are stuck with just 2 attacks.
That is not really true. You can use additional attacks, they just won't do much damage when not Sneak Attacking.

What do you mean? I was talking about additional attacks from higher bab. You are stuck with 2 attacks from claws, as long as these are your only natural attacks, or when not using a weapon. But if you use a weapon, you can't use your claws.


I think Derklord means if you get additional natural attacks. ie: bite, tail etc.


Yes, that. You cannot get iterarative attacks, but you can still get more attacks*. These attacks won't get dex-to-damage (except for one of them at 11th level), but they don't suffer any iterative attack penalty, either, making them superior when doing Sneak Attack. You might also use those attacks to make a Quick Dirty Trick attempt.

I'm sorry for being unclear.

*) You can either multiclass (Barbarian and Weretouched Shifter being the obvious choices), or get attacks from items like Helm of the Mammoth Lord, or feats like Spirit Oni Master or Lashing Tail.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Unchained Rogue Question All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.