5th lvl feat suggestions for an archer inquisitor


Advice


Greeting pathfinder community my half-orc sanctified slayer/infiltrator inquisitor just reached lvl 5 and im trying to decide which feat I should take.

thanks to my dm using adjusted feat rules my current feats are:
Point blank shot
Rapid shot
deadly aim
covering fire (Teamwork feat from class)

my current ideas are:
extended bane (+3 rounds thanks to wisdom mod)
Extra bane (+3 rounds)
weapon focus (longbow)
something else?

any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!


Did you get precise shot from your adjusted feat rules?


Unless I am missing something or your team has a lot of ranged characters you'd probably want precise shot.


oh sorry I knew I was forgetting something I recieved pointblank shot and deadly aim from our adjusted feat rules and my lvl 1 feat was precise shot and my lvl 3 feat was rapid shot


Exotic Weapon Proficiency Orc Hornbow

There's Manyshot, of course.

Point Blank Master?

Stabbing Shot?

Snap Shot Feats


Do you think you’d be allowed to ride a mount?


Quick Draw, so you'll have something else when a bow is inappropriate.


EWP Hornbow or Weapon Focus are great (it's either +1 to hit or ~+2 or 2.5 damage, which are roughly equal according to DPR calculators), as is Extended Bane (Extra Bane makes NO sense unless your starting WIS is 12). My melee Monster Tactician took Extended Bane.


Scott Wilhelm wrote:

There's Manyshot, of course.

Point Blank Master?

Stabbing Shot?

Snap Shot Feats

Manyshot and Snap Shot require BAB+6, Point Blank Master requires Weapon Specialization, and Stabbing Shot requires you to be an elf.

I'd go with Extended Bane, especially since 5th level is the time you need it most. Unless you're not normally having more than 5 rounds of (meaningful) combat a day, obviously.


Derklord wrote:
Manyshot and Snap Shot require BAB+6, Point Blank Master requires Weapon Specialization, and Stabbing Shot requires you to be an elf.

All True.

I was making more long-term suggestions.

Honestly, though, I overlooked the race of the OP's PC, which is Half Orc. She Doesn't even need to take Orc Hornbow as an EWP, She's already proficient, and that's what she should use if there isn't something else I don't know, but should.

Stabbing Shot and Point Blank Master are the only 2 Feats I know that let you use a Bow in Melee. Implicit in my suggestion that the OP build toward Point Blank Master is taking 4 levels in Fighter, which the OP may well not want to do, but it is not an unreasonable way to go.

I'm pretty sure a Half Orc, as a Half Human, can take the Racial Heritage Elf Feat, so that she can then take Stabbing Shot.


Scott Wilhelm wrote:
Derklord wrote:
Manyshot and Snap Shot require BAB+6, Point Blank Master requires Weapon Specialization, and Stabbing Shot requires you to be an elf.

All True.

I was making more long-term suggestions.

Honestly, though, I overlooked the race of the OP's PC, which is Half Orc. She Doesn't even need to take Orc Hornbow as an EWP, She's already proficient, and that's what she should use if there isn't something else I don't know, but should.

Stabbing Shot and Point Blank Master are the only 2 Feats I know that let you use a Bow in Melee. Implicit in my suggestion that the OP build toward Point Blank Master is taking 4 levels in Fighter, which the OP may well not want to do, but it is not an unreasonable way to go.

I'm pretty sure a Half Orc, as a Half Human, can take the Racial Heritage Elf Feat, so that she can then take Stabbing Shot.

i think the stabbing shot would be a legit option. Big investment though. Probably should just be able to wear a Cloak of Eternal Mist and stand in place for the most part.


Lelomenia wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:
Derklord wrote:
Manyshot and Snap Shot require BAB+6, Point Blank Master requires Weapon Specialization, and Stabbing Shot requires you to be an elf.

All True.

I was making more long-term suggestions.

Honestly, though, I overlooked the race of the OP's PC, which is Half Orc. She Doesn't even need to take Orc Hornbow as an EWP, She's already proficient, and that's what she should use if there isn't something else I don't know, but should.

Stabbing Shot and Point Blank Master are the only 2 Feats I know that let you use a Bow in Melee. Implicit in my suggestion that the OP build toward Point Blank Master is taking 4 levels in Fighter, which the OP may well not want to do, but it is not an unreasonable way to go.

I'm pretty sure a Half Orc, as a Half Human, can take the Racial Heritage Elf Feat, so that she can then take Stabbing Shot.

i think the stabbing shot would be a legit option. Big investment though. Probably should just be able to wear a Cloak of Eternal Mist and stand in place for the most part.

That Cloak is a very good value for the price, but I'd still want more than a 20% Miss Chance before inviting Attacks of Opportunity.

As a Half Orc, the OP could get the Keen Scent Feat and the Blind Fighting Feat, then acquire a Horn of Fog or an Eversmoking Bottle. That would grant Total Concealment--50% Miss Chance--but the OP would function almost normally. A dip in Fighter would allow the OP to take both, putting him in the direction of Point Blank Master. There is an Inquisitor Spell, Bloodhound, that grants Scent, so the OP could just take another level in Inquisitor, take Blindfighting, and cast Bloodhound whenever needed. Even if he doesn't want to Blind the party with an Eversmoking Bottle (often), the combination of Scent and Blindfighting is life-saving under not-all-that uncommon circumstances.

Half Orcs can get Endurance as an Alternative Racial Trait. I wonder if the OP has it.


Scott Wilhelm wrote:
I was making more long-term suggestions.

Were you? Two of them can't be taken by the character at all without extra investment that you wouldn't want to take. To me that looks more like you posted your favourite archery feats without regard for the question/the character.

If you make a post that doesn't answer the OP's question, in other words make a post that is decidedly off-topic, you should at least make that clear!

If Stabbing Shot solves the issue, a 5-feet step would have done so as well, unless you're backed into a corner. On a side note, Empty Quiver Style also allows melee-attacking with a bow, and circumvents the elf requirement of Stabbing Shot.

Scott Wilhelm wrote:
She Doesn't even need to take Orc Hornbow as an EWP, She's already proficient

Actually, no - Inquisitors aren't proficient with martial weapons, and proficiency is not covered by the hornbow's special language (cf. this statement by the book's lead developer).


Derklord wrote:
Were you? Two of them can't be taken by the character at all without extra investment that you wouldn't want to take.

I'm not giving advice that I would not consider taking.

Derklord wrote:
that looks more like you posted your favourite archery feats without regard for the question/the character.

Well, if they are my favorite archery Feats, I clearly would want to take them, so you are clearly wrong here!

I do not especially favor Manyshot, actually. It just seems like a logical feat to take after taking Rapid Shot. With Orc Hornbow, I'd actually consider taking Vital Strike Feats, say dip a level in Ranger to be able to use a Wand of Gravity Bow, and dip a level in Living Monolith to Enlarge as a Swift Action, then the Base Damage of the Orc Hornbow would be 4d6, and with Vital Strike, that would be 8d6, and with Bane, that would be 10d6, then it would add 4d6 more damage each with Improved and Greater vital strike +6 Damage with Devastating Strike. I didn't offer that advice early on because the OP took Rapid Shot.

Another factor to consider would be if I were to have a Vital Strike Ranged Character, I'd seriously consider making my Ranged Weapon a firearm or a Wand of Scorching Ray so that I would be making Ranged Touch Attacks also allowing me to max out Deadly Aim with impunity. But again, I wasn't offering my pet archery feats without regard to what the OP wanted until you just invited me to with your personal remarks!

Also, with a Class Ability like Bane, I feel like you want to maximize the number of Attacks/Round you get, so I really do think that in this case Rapid Shot and Manyshot are a better idea than Vital Strike Feats.

And that is part of the reason why I was recommending Snap Shot Feats, so he could make Attacks of Opportunity with his Bow.

Derklord wrote:
Empty Quiver Style also allows melee-attacking with a bow, and circumvents the elf requirement of Stabbing Shot.

That is a good suggestion.

Derklord wrote:
Inquisitors aren't proficient with martial weapons

Ah, good catch. I had overlooked that. So, if the OP made his next level a level in Fighter, he would then be proficient in Orc Hornbow as a Martial Weapon, freeing him up to take Weapon Focus Orc Hornbow and maybe something else like Blindfighting, which is another suggestion I already made. This would also put him on the path toward being able to take Point Blank Master, which I was already offering as a direction to go with his character.


If the OP has the Endurance Feat, perhaps as the Alternate Racial Trait Shaman's Apprentice, then with a single dip in Fighter, at level 5, he could take Diehard and Stalwart, allowing him to get DR through Total Defense or Combat Expertise.

This is something I always wanted to do: get the Defense Hat Trick!

Follow Lelomania's advice and get a Cloak of Eternal Mist for a Miss Chance.

Take Endurance so you can sleep in Medium Armor and have high AC all the time.

Get DR, in this case through Stalwart and Combat Expertise.

And the Inquisitor Judgement can give you Fast Healing!

That's like 4 layers of Defense!

Ooh, I got another one:

Make that level in Fighter a level in Eldritch Guardian Fighter, so you get a Familiar. Take Improved Familiar at level 7 so you can get a Mephit Familiar. Get the Mephit Familiar to cast Shield Other on you somehow (Can you have an Improved Familiar with the Protector Archetype?). Now half the Damage taking by you is taken by your Mephit Familiar, and that Damage will be offset by the Mephit's have Fast Healing.


Actually I was just reviewing Sanctified Slayer, and I just realized that SSs get Sneak Attack, so I withdraw my advice to get an Eversmoking Bottle until your character gets Blindsight or something like it, and Scent + Blind Fighting won't do.

I think maybe the level 5 Feat should be Accomplished Sneak Attacker.

I still think Combat Expertise is a good suggestion even if the OP doesn't already have Endurance, because CE is the prerequisite for Improved Dirty Tricks, which can be used to Blind opponents, and that is a good way to lock in your Sneak Attack Damage. I think a Sneak Attacking character should have a few ways to lock in SA Damage.

A Ranged Character that gets Sneak Attack Damage is the kind of character I'd see taking Improved Initiative.

Another Sneak Attack Feat to look at is Precise Strike, a Teamwork Feat. You need to be Flanking, and for that you need some kind of melee capability such as we have been discussing.


Scott Wilhelm wrote:
I'm not giving advice that I would not consider taking.

Sorry for the unclear choice of word, the "you" in "investment that you wouldn't want to take" was meant to be the generic you, i.e. "investment that one wouldn't want to take". Also, I didn't say you wouldn't want to take the feats, but that you wouldn't want to take the investment.

Also, once again, you don't seem to understand my issue with your post. It's not that Manyshot isn't a good feat suggestion for an archery Investigator, quite the contrary. Likewise, I totally think that every archer that qualifies for Point Blank Master should take it (unless the GM is mean, I think a Sanctified Slayer can take it directly via the Ranger Combat Style Slayer Talent). I don't have any issue with Snap Shot feats being suggested for an archer, either.
What my issue is that you are ignoring the actual topic. The OP didn't ask for feats to take in the far future, possibly after prereq feats or multiclassing. You don't adapt your ideas to fit the actual character in question. And that is, sadly, something you do a lot. From memory, suggesting Monastic Legacy for a Scaled Fist, suggesting estoc for a waveblade-focussed character, suggesting sansetsukon for a Rogue, and generally suggesting lots of multiclassing just to grab something that you seem to have taken a liking to, without the slightest regard on how much that going off-class affects the character.

I don't even try to understand the thought process behind your suggestion of going Dirty Trick, considering that takes a standard action in melee (!!!), on a medium BAB archery character.


Derklord wrote:
Sorry for the unclear choice of word, the "you" in "investment that you wouldn't want to take" was meant to be the generic you, i.e. "investment that one wouldn't want to take". Also, I didn't say you wouldn't want to take the feats, but that you wouldn't want to take the investment.

And again, you are clearly mistaken. One would indeed want to follow my advice, because this one, meaning me, would! So you are clearly wrong, here!

Derklord wrote:
Also, once again, you don't seem to understand my issue with your post.

Your issue with my post clearly stems from some kind of personal issue you have with me, and you need to back off on your personal remarks.

I'm not the only one on these forums that has called you out for your rude behavior.

It might be fair to say that my initial thoughts on advising the OP were not fully-formed, but that is no reason for you to be rude.

Derklord wrote:
The OP didn't ask for feats to take in the far future, possibly after prereq feats or multiclassing.

Dude, if I'm suggesting that the OP take Dirty Trick Feats and gain DR through Stalwart, I'm not going to just say "You should take Combat Expertise." and leave it at that! That would be dumb! I'm suggesting a direction for the OP to take: Dirty Tricks. That the next Feat to take would be Combat Expertise is implicit. That the next level that the OP might take would be in Fighter would also be implicit (in taking Point Blank Master). That the BAB isn't high enough for Point Blank Master or Manyshot, but if the OP started taking levels in Fighter the BAB would rise faster? Also implicit!

I've told you this before: you clearly don't understand my motives, and you are way out-of-line to be speculating on them. Please stop derailing the thread with your rude personal remarks.


Derklord wrote:
I don't even try to understand the thought process behind your suggestion of going Dirty Trick, considering that takes a standard action in melee (!!!), on a medium BAB archery character.

I am happy to explain my thoughts, and I will try to make it easy for you to understand.

The OP is a level 4 Sanctified Slayer: the OP just started inflicting Sneak Attack Damage.

The OP doesn't have a way to reliably lock in Sneak Attack Damage.

A Dirty Trick can Blind your Opponent.

Blinded Opponents don't get their Dex Mods to AC.

Opponents who don't get their Dex Mods to AC suffer your Sneak Attack Damage.

I think Dirty Tricks are further a good way to captalize on Sneak Attack Damage because they are versatile.

Some Opponents have Blindsight or the Blind Fighting Feat. Blinded Opponents that have the Blind Fighting Feat retain their Dex Mods to AC and may stymie your Sneak Attack Damage.

If, with your first Dirty Trick, you Blind your Opponent, and your Opponent retains its Dex Mod to AC, you can then play a second Dirty Trick to Deafen your Opponent.

An Opponent with Blind Fighting or Blindsight who is Blinded and Deafened does lose their Dex Mod to AC, and then you can Sneak Attack them.

Derklord wrote:
considering that takes a standard action in melee (!!!), on a medium BAB archery character.

In that case, my advice really isn't complete if I don't suggest that the OP develop some kind of melee capability

I wrote:
Point Blank Master? Stabbing Shot?

and take some levels in some class that is Full BAB.

I wrote:
So, if the OP made his next level a level in Fighter,

But in any event, I hope you understand now that the reason I floated the suggestion of taking Improved Dirty Trick had to do with building upon the OP's new Sneak Attack Class Ability.

Again, this would be further down the road.

Derklord wrote:
The OP didn't ask for feats to take in the far future, possibly after prereq feats or multiclassing. You don't adapt your ideas to fit the actual character in question.

In the post where I suggested Dirty Tricks, I did suggest the OP's next Feat is to be Accomplished Sneak Attacker or perhaps Improved Initiative. The first to increase the Sneak Attack Damage, the 2nd to gain a way to lock in Sneak Attack Damage. Do you understand why Improved Initiative helps with Sneak Attack Damage, or would you like me to explain that to you, too?

I really don't think that offering both long and short term advice to the OP is out-of-line here. I don't think a person should take Feats willy-nilly. I think when you take one Feat, you should think about the next. So I don't think that beginning the advice process with long-term ideas is improper even when the OP is only specifically asking for the next Feat. The first Feat is the What. The later Feats are the Why.


Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

Id like to take a moment to give everyone more information on my character, and talk about which suggestions I like and which ones im probably not going to pursue.

SO first my half orc does not have endurance because she has sacred tattoo which goes along with my fates favored trait.

second while I like improved initiative since I get both my dex and wis mob to my initiative I dont feel like i need this feat as much.

combat expertise is a feat that our dm has nixxed so I effectively have it for meeting prerequisites.

now my inquisitor worships gorum so once she has the gold she will be using the headsmen greatsword so im inquisitor is not opposed to melee combat

improved dirty trick actually seems like a really good idea that I had not thought of! so my current line of thinking is either improved dirty trick or extended bane

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think the Keen Scent feat Scott suggested would pair well with some Pheremone Arrows.


Declindgrunt wrote:
now my inquisitor worships gorum so once she has the gold she will be using the headsmen greatsword so im inquisitor is not opposed to melee combat

How high is your strength? Spending your feats on archery and then not using them is kinda... weird, not to say inefficient.

Declindgrunt wrote:
improved dirty trick actually seems like a really good idea that I had not thought of! so my current line of thinking is either improved dirty trick or extended bane

You need to be in melee, you need to spend a standard action, and you need to succeed on the combat maneuver check. Bane, weapon enchantment, Weapon Focus etc. don't help you, and unless you have Agile Maneuvers, the check will be keyed off strength, which I presume is your tertiary stat. Seriously, you simply don't have the CMB, and that is after already a feat investment.

It's exactly the reason why I'm arguing against Scott Wilhelm that his ideas don't match your character at all. At least I presume it doesn't, seeing as you headed this thread with "archer inquisitor", and his suggestion is to move away from Inqusitor and from archery. He sees the words "Sneak Attack", and reacts with posting his favourite way to enable Sneak Attack without any regard for the character, and when called out so, makes some "obviously I was talking about the character after 5 levels in Fighter" rationale. And now he's gonna make another angry post because he doesn't seem to understand what a hyperbole is, of course it's only four levels so my argument is invalid!

Just because you have Sneak Attack, doesn't mean you should focus on it. Two rounds of full attacking without Sneak Attack will do more damage than spending a round using dirty trick and sneak attacking the next round. Take Sneak Attack as a bonus for when you win initiative against an enemy nearby. Of course, the best way to enable Sneak Attacks is to stay in class, and then at 10th level, use Greater Invisibility.

TheZombiePunch wrote:
I think the Keen Scent feat Scott suggested would pair well with some Pheremone Arrows.

Presuming the GM allows the arrows (they come from a 3.5 book about elves), it's indeed an appealing option, at least when the campaign contains "boss" like enemies (doesn't help when fighting 50 goblins all the time, obviously). If Pheremone Arrows are allowed, I'd buy some regardless of the feat, because they also work well with Blood Scent - you need to have injured them with the arrow anyway.


Derklord wrote:
He sees the words "Sneak Attack", and reacts with posting his favourite way to enable Sneak Attack

Yes.

I see he has Sneak Attack, and I talk about my favorite ways of doing Sneak Attack.

I see he has an Archer, and I react by posting my favorite ways of optimizing Archer.

I see he seems to have little Ranged capability, and I react by suggesting ways of giving him Ranged capabilities.

I see he is a Half Orc, and I post about my favorite things about Half Orc.

That's what I call giving my best counsel in good faith according to the OP's request. Thank you for recognizing that.

Derklord wrote:
without any regard for the character

It's not my character: I don't know how the OP wants to develop it. I'm offering lots of different ideas about lots of different ways the OP his character, general ideas at first, fine-tuning later hopefully wisely adapting to feedback.

Derklord wrote:
Just because you have Sneak Attack, doesn't mean you should focus on it.

No, but why take Sneak Attack if you don't want to develop it? If the OP wants to develop Sneak Attack, then he probably should, and we should counsel him on how. Your advice seems to be not to, and if you feel that way, it's good that you said so. But having said that, and having considered what he said, we should help him have the best version of what he wants.


so my character is focused on archery and that is my focus but that doesn't mean there wont come a time were she HAS to engage in melee combat that is just how the game works so id like to be at least semi competent at it.

The keen scent feat with the pheremone arrows sounds really cool but I dont love the idea of having to rely on having these arrows on me as ammunition count is not something we usually keep track of at our table (unless its that kind of campaign)

I think im just gonna go with extended bane as its just a good feat for any situation


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Scott often has very interesting, out-of-the-box ideas, but a lot of times people don't want to multiclass, especially in a campaign when there may not be a narrative justification (one of my most memorable PCs was a halfling brewer my friend played...he insisted on starting as a Commoner, and then tried fighting, giving advice, and "pretending" to use magic...eventually he gained a level of Bard, but it made perfect sense in game).

Anyway, Reckless Aim is pretty amazing, and if you have room for a spare trait Called lets you reroll a 1 once per day. But Extended Bane is BEAST for an archer since it applies to every arrow you fire.


Declindgrunt wrote:

so my character is focused on archery and that is my focus but that doesn't mean there wont come a time were she HAS to engage in melee combat that is just how the game works so id like to be at least semi competent at it.

The keen scent feat with the pheremone arrows sounds really cool but I dont love the idea of having to rely on having these arrows on me as ammunition count is not something we usually keep track of at our table (unless its that kind of campaign)

I think im just gonna go with extended bane as its just a good feat for any situation

Extended Bane seems like a good idea, or, depending on the campaign, maybe Extra Bane?

Derklord's suggestion of Empty Quiver Style seems like a solid choice down the road for engaging in melee in a pinch.

SlimJim's suggestion of Quickdraw seems is also a good choice, especially since your character is Proficient in Greatsword.

Totally do get Bane by taking your fifth level in Inquisitor, but consider down the road dipping a level in Ranger. A level in Ranger will let you use that Orc Hornbow as a Martial Weapon, and it will let you use Magic Wands with Ranger Spells. I really like the Spell Gravity Bow, which will make your Arrows inflict Damage as if they were 1 size bigger. For a Longbow, that raises the Damage to 2d6. For an Orc Hornbow, that raises the Damage to 3d6. For Ranger Archetypes, I like Freebooter, which lets you, instead of having a Favored Enemy, designate any 1 opponent as a Move Action for you and all your Allies to get +1 Attack and Damage. That's a lot of gain for a 1 level dip: +1 BAB, +1 Fort and Reflex, 1d10hp, 2d6 Damage instead of 1d8, and the ability to buff that to 3d6.


Declindgrunt wrote:
so my character is focused on archery and that is my focus but that doesn't mean there wont come a time were she HAS to engage in melee combat that is just how the game works so id like to be at least semi competent at it.

It's an investment vs. reward-thing. Often, a 5-feet-step away works well enough (unless the GM is customizing enemies towards your character). Against enemies with a dangerous full attack, just taking that AoO and full attacking the enemy is usually the best course of action if you can't get away.

Pathfinder heavily rewards specialization, at least when it comes to non-spellcasting (big part of why spellcasters are so crazy powerful). Due to tax- and prereq feats and conflicting ability scores, the concept of a switch hitter, i.e. one who witches between ranged and melee weapons dependign on the circumstances, doesn't really work in Pathfinder, with the possible exception of something like E5. That is "just how the game works".

Unless you have Quick Draw, drawing the backup weapon prevents you form full attacking, if you add in the lack of enchantment and lower ability score (Weapon Finesse helps here, whoops there goes another feat), that just can't be a sensible way to spend your turn.

Ask he GM if you can take Slayer Talent(Ranger Combat Style) at 8th level, or at 9th level via Extra Slayer Talent. Neither is allowed strictly RAW, but that Slayer talent is rather unwieldy. If you feel it's actually necessary, as above.


Derklord wrote:
Pathfinder heavily rewards specialization, at least when it comes to non-spellcasting (big part of why spellcasters are so crazy powerful). Due to tax- and prereq feats and conflicting ability scores, the concept of a switch hitter, i.e. one who witches between ranged and melee weapons dependign on the circumstances, doesn't really work in Pathfinder, with the possible exception of something like E5. That is "just how the game works".

I agree that a character that isn't bad at anything isn't usually good at anything, either, but I have also observed that a character with aggressive strengths usually has aggressive weaknesses. Usually, that's why characters in a party need each other.

I think I can usually make a character that can do a couple of things well.

Like with many things, compromises are fundamental to design.


Scott Wilhelm wrote:
SlimJim's suggestion of Quickdraw seems is also a good choice, especially since your character is Proficient in Greatsword.

I'm thinking more along the lines of using the feat to instantly deploy a one-handed weapon + a light quickdraw shield.

Archery builds tend to have modest AC and mediocre Con scores, as the player assumes they won't be on the front-line. Well, just because you don't want to be on the front-line doesn't mean that the front-line doesn't want to be on you. With only a +1 LQD shield, Quick Draw means that the suddenly set-upon archer can hurriedly drop his bow and gain +4 or +6 to AC by quickdrawing the shield and adopting a defensing fighting or total defense stance.


Slim Jim wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:
SlimJim's suggestion of Quickdraw seems is also a good choice, especially since your character is Proficient in Greatsword.

I'm thinking more along the lines of using the feat to instantly deploy a one-handed weapon + a light quickdraw shield.

Archery builds tend to have modest AC and mediocre Con scores, as the player assumes they won't be on the front-line. Well, just because you don't want to be on the front-line doesn't mean that the front-line doesn't want to be on you. With only a +1 LQD shield, Quick Draw means that the suddenly set-upon archer can hurriedly drop his bow and gain +4 or +6 to AC by quickdrawing the shield and adopting a defensing fighting or total defense stance.

Good point: I don't disagree with you.

If the OP just takes Quickdraw and in the event that a disaster happens like the archer finds himself in melee, if he can produce any sort of a Melee Weapon and a Shield as Free Actions will greatly increase his survivability.

I brought up Greatsword because the OP brought up Greatsword. The OP brought up Greatsword because his character is an Inuqisitor of a deity whose favored weapon is Greatsword.

It seems very reasonable to me that the OP might want to develop his character with Greatsword somewhere down the line, but developing as a Greatsword-wielding whirlwind of death requires different things than being a good archer. And that is hard to do well.

But I think it can be done, and it is up to the OP whether he will.

Grand Lodge

@Derklord. Pheromone arrows were reprinted in the alchemy manual.

For all the quickdraw stuff there is a spell called bow staff if you are worried. Otherwise 5ft and fire away, work on maintaining good positioning, or watch for combat reflexes and accept one aoo and full attack.


Scott Wilhelm wrote:
Slim Jim wrote:
Archery builds tend to have modest AC and mediocre Con scores, as the player assumes they won't be on the front-line. Well, just because you don't want to be on the front-line doesn't mean that the front-line doesn't want to be on you. With only a +1 LQD shield, Quick Draw means that the suddenly set-upon archer can hurriedly drop his bow and gain +4 or +6 to AC by quickdrawing the shield and adopting a defensing fighting or total defense stance.
I brought up Greatsword because the OP brought up Greatsword. The OP brought up Greatsword because his character is an Inuqisitor of a deity whose favored weapon is Greatsword. It seems very reasonable to me that the OP might want to develop his character with Greatsword somewhere down the line, but developing as a Greatsword-wielding whirlwind of death requires different things than being a good archer. And that is hard to do well.

I'd say it's a viable tactic at low-level, but later on, when something with 200hp and a half-dozen attacks flounces up next to me licking its chops, I'd rather have +6 AC rather than the opportunity to dish out a few extra points using a two-hander instead of a one-hander. Around 9th or 10th, continued upgrading of the LQDS, and maybe putting the Defending property on the one-hander, can generate quite a nice bump to AC on demand. E.g., if I were a SavTech multiclass "bowbarian" archer, I'd like to fancy a +3 shield and a +1/Furious/Defending one-hander generating bonuses to AC of +6 (normal), +8 (fighting defensively), or +10 (total defense).

It sure does take the sting out of waiting forever for all those one-trick-pony archery feats to line up. (Lookin' at you, Point Blank Master.)

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / 5th lvl feat suggestions for an archer inquisitor All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.