Is there a rule stating you can't take the same feat multiple times?


Rules Discussion


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I know there's the "Special: You can take this feat again and select a different X Feat" on the Multiclass Archtype feats, but is it written somewhere that you can't take a feat multiple times?


Good question. I looked for a while and didn't find it.


In every time a feat says "Special: You can select this feat more than once." is the book saying you can't generally take a feat multiple times.

And in the introduction where the layout of an action or feat is explained, it says "Special Any special qualities of the rule are explained in this section. Usually this section appears in feats you can select more than once, explaining what happens when you do." further stating that you can't generally take a feat multiple times.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
thenobledrake wrote:

In every time a feat says "Special: You can select this feat more than once." is the book saying you can't generally take a feat multiple times.

And in the introduction where the layout of an action or feat is explained, it says "Special Any special qualities of the rule are explained in this section. Usually this section appears in feats you can select more than once, explaining what happens when you do." further stating that you can't generally take a feat multiple times.

Gotcha, that's how I thought it worked as well but it doesn't ever say, "you can only take a feat once unless otherwise stated" anywhere. Mostly was just trying to find a rule as somebody was asking if they could do retraining shenanigans by taking Wizard Dedication at 2, Arcane Spell feat at 4, and then take Wiz Dedication at 9 with human Multitalented and then retrain out of Wiz Dedication at 2 and keep the lvl 4 feat.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

They very strongly imply that most feats can be taken only once without ever directly saying it. This is definitely a case where "The exception proves the rule" directly applies.


David knott 242 wrote:
They very strongly imply that most feats can be taken only once without ever directly saying it. This is definitely a case where "The exception proves the rule" directly applies.

While I fully agree that feats without the exception clause can only be taken once it would have really, really, really been nice to mention this in the CRB at least once. Reverse logic is not for everyone...


Vlorax wrote:
thenobledrake wrote:

In every time a feat says "Special: You can select this feat more than once." is the book saying you can't generally take a feat multiple times.

And in the introduction where the layout of an action or feat is explained, it says "Special Any special qualities of the rule are explained in this section. Usually this section appears in feats you can select more than once, explaining what happens when you do." further stating that you can't generally take a feat multiple times.

Gotcha, that's how I thought it worked as well but it doesn't ever say, "you can only take a feat once unless otherwise stated" anywhere. Mostly was just trying to find a rule as somebody was asking if they could do retraining shenanigans by taking Wizard Dedication at 2, Arcane Spell feat at 4, and then take Wiz Dedication at 9 with human Multitalented and then retrain out of Wiz Dedication at 2 and keep the lvl 4 feat.

Even if they did, the Retraining clearly says you can only take feats if you met the requirements at the time. So a level 4 couldn't take a level 4 feat with a level 2 feat requirement if he doesn't have it by level 4.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ubertron_X wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:
They very strongly imply that most feats can be taken only once without ever directly saying it. This is definitely a case where "The exception proves the rule" directly applies.
While I fully agree that feats without the exception clause can only be taken once it would have really, really, really been nice to mention this in the CRB at least once. Reverse logic is not for everyone...

Agreed! At least they put the statements in general places that would apply to all stat blocks -- but it would have been nice for them to have made a direct statement of the rule that they only directly stated the exception(s) to.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / Is there a rule stating you can't take the same feat multiple times? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.