Self-sufficient crafter?


Advice


Would nature and survival help with gathering materials for alchemical crafting and such? For crafting of metal armors/weapons, is it plausible to pick the dropped gear and remelt it?

Been binging on some series where characters need to become self-sufficient and was curious how people might go about that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Depends what you mean. You need at least half the gp cost in unspecified "materials" to craft stuff. IIRC you can disassemble stuff for half their cost? So yeah, you should be able to re-melt stuff, but it will take longer.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

there are some ways you can go about it that are raw/could be raw.

For "gathering resources" i'd say something like a "earn income" survival check for them sounds pretty RAW to me. You get the "income" of your check but in crafting resources.

for melting down stuff, you could go with the heavily debated "use Craft to break down an item for half its cost in materials", it does sound fine even for those contesting it if you're breaking down a metal armor to get metal for, say a sword.


Well I think there's a rule in the section about formulas where you can break things down for half their value in raw materials, so that supports breaking down found gear to make your own. As for nature and survival, I don't think there's a direct rule for it, though you could presumably use the rules for Earn Income in some fashion to scrounge up that amount of raw materials.


shroudb wrote:

there are some ways you can go about it that are raw/could be raw.

For "gathering resources" i'd say something like a "earn income" survival check for them sounds pretty RAW to me. You get the "income" of your check but in crafting resources.

for melting down stuff, you could go with the heavily debated "use Craft to break down an item for half its cost in materials", it does sound fine even for those contesting it if you're breaking down a metal armor to get metal for, say a sword.

Could be as simple as refluffing the money making part? Using 'money' made via survival for alchemical mats, and either Crafting or refluffing Bargain Hunter perhaps?

lordcirth wrote:
Depends what you mean. You need at least half the gp cost in unspecified "materials" to craft stuff. IIRC you can disassemble stuff for half their cost? So yeah, you should be able to re-melt stuff, but it will take longer.

Any chance you got a link or page for that reference? I been looking at the book but no such look yet. I don't need this to be optimal, it's more of an aesthetic goal.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Corvo Spiritwind wrote:
shroudb wrote:

there are some ways you can go about it that are raw/could be raw.

For "gathering resources" i'd say something like a "earn income" survival check for them sounds pretty RAW to me. You get the "income" of your check but in crafting resources.

for melting down stuff, you could go with the heavily debated "use Craft to break down an item for half its cost in materials", it does sound fine even for those contesting it if you're breaking down a metal armor to get metal for, say a sword.

Could be as simple as refluffing the money making part? Using 'money' made via survival for alchemical mats, and either Crafting or refluffing Bargain Hunter perhaps?

lordcirth wrote:
Depends what you mean. You need at least half the gp cost in unspecified "materials" to craft stuff. IIRC you can disassemble stuff for half their cost? So yeah, you should be able to re-melt stuff, but it will take longer.
Any chance you got a link or page for that reference? I been looking at the book but no such look yet. I don't need this to be optimal, it's more of an aesthetic goal.

yes, refluffing money as crafting materials is as simple as that. after all, crafting materials are just "money" in the game.

For the breaking down stuff, and the reason why it's debated, it's in the section about discovering formulas by breaking down an item (it says that even if you fail you keep half the cost of the item as raw materials).


shroudb wrote:
Corvo Spiritwind wrote:
shroudb wrote:

there are some ways you can go about it that are raw/could be raw.

For "gathering resources" i'd say something like a "earn income" survival check for them sounds pretty RAW to me. You get the "income" of your check but in crafting resources.

for melting down stuff, you could go with the heavily debated "use Craft to break down an item for half its cost in materials", it does sound fine even for those contesting it if you're breaking down a metal armor to get metal for, say a sword.

Could be as simple as refluffing the money making part? Using 'money' made via survival for alchemical mats, and either Crafting or refluffing Bargain Hunter perhaps?

lordcirth wrote:
Depends what you mean. You need at least half the gp cost in unspecified "materials" to craft stuff. IIRC you can disassemble stuff for half their cost? So yeah, you should be able to re-melt stuff, but it will take longer.
Any chance you got a link or page for that reference? I been looking at the book but no such look yet. I don't need this to be optimal, it's more of an aesthetic goal.

yes, refluffing money as crafting materials is as simple as that. after all, crafting materials are just "money" in the game.

For the breaking down stuff, and the reason why it's debated, it's in the section about discovering formulas by breaking down an item (it says that even if you fail you keep half the cost of the item as raw materials).

I'll look into that a bit more. Mostly looking into recycling just so the character doesn't have to go search for metal nodes. I was a little sad when Foraging didn't actually bring up any herbs or such, just food. But the refluff crafting check for making money as salvaging gear is a nice angle.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I guess you could treat it as an Earn Income check of a certain level and count the earnings exclusively towards your crafting.


Corvo Spiritwind wrote:
shroudb wrote:
Corvo Spiritwind wrote:
shroudb wrote:

there are some ways you can go about it that are raw/could be raw.

For "gathering resources" i'd say something like a "earn income" survival check for them sounds pretty RAW to me. You get the "income" of your check but in crafting resources.

for melting down stuff, you could go with the heavily debated "use Craft to break down an item for half its cost in materials", it does sound fine even for those contesting it if you're breaking down a metal armor to get metal for, say a sword.

Could be as simple as refluffing the money making part? Using 'money' made via survival for alchemical mats, and either Crafting or refluffing Bargain Hunter perhaps?

lordcirth wrote:
Depends what you mean. You need at least half the gp cost in unspecified "materials" to craft stuff. IIRC you can disassemble stuff for half their cost? So yeah, you should be able to re-melt stuff, but it will take longer.
Any chance you got a link or page for that reference? I been looking at the book but no such look yet. I don't need this to be optimal, it's more of an aesthetic goal.

yes, refluffing money as crafting materials is as simple as that. after all, crafting materials are just "money" in the game.

For the breaking down stuff, and the reason why it's debated, it's in the section about discovering formulas by breaking down an item (it says that even if you fail you keep half the cost of the item as raw materials).

I'll look into that a bit more. Mostly looking into recycling just so the character doesn't have to go search for metal nodes. I was a little sad when Foraging didn't actually bring up any herbs or such, just food. But the refluff crafting check for making money as salvaging gear is a nice angle.

that's why i suggested "Earn income" check.

"foraging" is basically "earn income" for survival (could be for nature, not sure i would let it though).

Saying that your income is in "super shiny balsa wood for a bow worth x gp, isn't any different than saying you got x gp from the check.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The example for earn income also explicitly uses an example where the bard is paid in a living crystal rose so I don’t think reskinning to something like crafting materials (which you could sale for the monetary value accorded by the check) is outside of RAW.


Presumably you could also get "Lore: Prepper" (or whatever phrase applies in game). Which is all about using the income earned to gather materials for your projects and crafting.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Zwordsman wrote:
Presumably you could also get "Lore: Prepper" (or whatever phrase applies in game). Which is all about using the income earned to gather materials for your projects and crafting.

Gotta build that bunker!


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Adopted Ancestry (Goblin) + Junk Tinker.


Ooh junk tinker is a darn nifty idea there yep.

build a junk bunker full of snares!


I am also interested in the self-sufficient theme for a game. I also fully support the mechanic of using 'Earn Income' to gather crafting materials.

So how viable is this for actually getting anything done?

Looking at Earn Income, it lists income earned based on task level. So would it be appropriate for the GM to set the task level (and indirectly the amount of currency earned) based on what it is that you are looking for?

Searching for basic wood to make a bow? Task level 1.

Searching for silver ore to craft a silver dagger? Task level 9.

So how long would it take to get the materials needed for crafting either of the above?

Wood and string being a level 1 task. Assuming Expert proficiency (this is one of the main themes of the campaign after all). So 2sp per day? If I am reading the table correctly.

Shortbow costs 3gp. So at 10sp per 1gp, that means 15 days to get the materials? No - 8 days, because you only need to provide minimum half the materials. Though collecting more means that you don't have to spend as much time crafting. I'm sure there is an optimal point there to stop collecting materials and start crafting.

Can someone better skilled at crafting rules go through the same thing for the silver dagger? I am having trouble working through the rules for special materials.


Alchemist 20 (Philosopher's Stone). Yeah, I know that's endgame material, but it counts, right?

Although to be fair, the infinite money making aspect was toned down in PF2 so you actually have to spend time working that quicksilver inside...

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Advice / Self-sufficient crafter? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.