Acid Splash


Rules Discussion

Grand Lodge

Does it deal 1 acid damage to adjacent creatures?

ACID SPLASH CANTRIP 1
[ACID] [ATTACK] [CANTRIP] [EVOCATION]
Traditions: arcane, primal
Cast: [two-actions] somatic, verbal
Range: 30 feet; Targets 1 creature or object
You splash a glob of acid that splatters creatures and objects alike. Make a spell attack. If you hit, you deal 1d6 acid damage plus 1 splash acid damage. On a critical success, the target also takes 1 persistent acid damage.

splash (trait): When you use a thrown weapon with the splash trait, you don’t add your Strength modifier to the damage roll. If an attack with a splash weapon fails, succeeds, or critically succeeds, all creatures within 5 feet of the target (including the target) take the listed splash damage. On a failure (but not a critical failure), the target of the attack still takes the splash damage. Add splash damage together with the initial damage against the target before applying the target’s weaknesses or resistances. You don’t multiply splash damage on a critical hit.

Also, does the 1 acid splash damage not double on a critical hit?

EDIT and does the target still take the 1 acid damage if you miss?


We discussed this in our group and ruled yes for the splash damage as otherwise the spell as written does not make much sense.

RAW I fear the answer is no, no splash damage because the trait is missing. However it is open to debate if this trait is just covering mundane weapons and not spells.

Edit: Having re-read all respective paragraphs of the CRB I firmly believe that the splash trait is only used for physical items / weapons.

Exo-Guardians

3 people marked this as a favorite.

You don't need the Splash trait to do splash damage. The spell does splash damage because the spell text says it does.

Since it doesn't have the Splash trait, it doesn't do the splash damage to the target on a failure. The spell does what it says it does, no more and no less.


I feel like this does need some clarification. The Splash trait is called out as being a thrown weapon only, but it's pretty clear the spell is meant to work the same way, otherwise calling it splash damage would be pointless.

So I'm all but certain the intent is splash to target on miss, splash to target and adjacent on crit, no double splash damage on crit.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Saros Palanthios wrote:

You don't need the Splash trait to do splash damage. The spell does splash damage because the spell text says it does.

Since it doesn't have the Splash trait, it doesn't do the splash damage to the target on a failure. The spell does what it says it does, no more and no less.

actually... it seems, RAW, you do.

What IS splash damage outside of the trait?

it's defined nowhere in the book.

The only mention of what splash damage does is indeed in the trait, where it says:

"When you use a
thrown weapon with the splash trait, you don’t add your
Strength modifier to the damage roll.
If an attack with a
splash weapon fails, succeeds, or critically succeeds, all
creatures within 5 feet of the target (including the target)
take the listed splash damage. On a failure (but not a critical
failure), the target of the attack still takes the splash damage.
Add splash damage together with the initial damage against
the target before applying the target’s resistance or weakness.
You don’t multiply splash damage on a critical hit."

So, back to the spell "acid splash"

what IS "1 acid splash damage" in this case? Is it aoe, how far does it goes, what happens on a miss, a hit, a crit, etc.

There are ZERO rules of what "splash damage" is outside of the very specific mention that "weapons with the Splash trait, deal their Splash damage, on 5ft radious"

There is an absolute lack of rules what happens in the absence of the trait since it's the trait that actually applies the damage and tells us HOW and WHERE it applies.

Ofc, the problem being that the trait is clearly written for weapons and not spells, that leaves Acid Splash in a very akward position.

But still, rules for Splash damage need to be written OR the splash trait rewritten to account for spells and add it on the spells.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Most swarms take extra damage from splash damage attacks, so even if other adjacent creatures wouldn't take damage from Acid Splash on a failure, it'd still trigger their weakness, which is pretty nice IMO.


Cydeth wrote:
Most swarms take extra damage from splash damage attacks, so even if other adjacent creatures wouldn't take damage from Acid Splash on a failure, it'd still trigger their weakness, which is pretty nice IMO.

So the "random" one splash damage of acid splash is not so random and could possible really only affect the target square? Hm...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Acid Splash doesn't do AOE damage because it doesn't say it does. It being "splash" damage matters because some monsters are weak to splash damage, swarms in particular. A vampire bat swarm takes 3 extra damage from Acid Splash.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Arachnofiend wrote:
Acid Splash doesn't do AOE damage because it doesn't say it does. It being "splash" damage matters because some monsters are weak to splash damage, swarms in particular. A vampire bat swarm takes 3 extra damage from Acid Splash.

Exactly. They have vulnerability to splash and area of effect damage separately.

Exo-Guardians

Based on the Weaknesses of various creatures in the Bestiary, it appears that "splash damage" and "area damage" are two separate things, but neither is clearly defined anywhere in the CRB or Bestiary... hm. Might be an oversight.


Cydeth wrote:
Arachnofiend wrote:
Acid Splash doesn't do AOE damage because it doesn't say it does. It being "splash" damage matters because some monsters are weak to splash damage, swarms in particular. A vampire bat swarm takes 3 extra damage from Acid Splash.
Exactly. They have vulnerability to splash and area of effect damage separately.

Yeah, but then again, the fact remains that "splash damage" has no general definition in the CRB.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / Acid Splash All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.