What Is Your Favorite Adventure Path & Why ?


Pathfinder Adventure Path General Discussion


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Since I have seen a bunch of negativity, I thought hey lets have a look at the good stuff. So here's the question. What is your Favorite of the Adventure Path's and why do you like it so much ? I collect them all through my local game store, and so I have them all, I haven't run them all, and so figured --Hey, lets see what other's enjoyed !


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I’m in a weird boat where I adore the setting and plot (especially the ending!) of Iron Gods but hate that it’s mostly a lot of hyper-lethal dungeon crawls.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Curse of the Crimson Throne and War for the Crown are my two favourites.

I like the trope of fighting a corrupt government, I think. I also think they both do a good job of mixing up the adventure themes and moods (my players get bored easily).


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Curse of the Crimson Throne for me too, it may be a little linear for some but it's a good story, the separate parts roll together nicely and it's got a couple of nice surprises for the PC party along the way.

Kingmaker is a good story and with a bit of work in foreshadowing threats becomes very enjoyable. The Kingdom building mechanics are not to my taste, but I can disassociate that from the plotline in ranking the AP

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I loved Strange Aeons, can't wait to run it again for another group.

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I always go with the less-popular "Serpent's Skull". I loved this AP because:
1) I had a fantastic, engaged group of players that were really interested in the game and expanding on it.
and
2) I put in a LOT of work to flesh out all the factions exploring the lost city, the exploration and the lost city itself.
Lots of work but totally worthwhile!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I really liked Serpents Skull too (although our game was weird from the start as we used DCC rules).


I like the one that constantly starts bizarre arguments and also Strange Aeons.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

I think Curse of the Crimson Throne is my current favorite. The way that the story of the city keeps moving even as you address pieces of the various crises is really engrossing. And as soon as the players buy in to the idea that the city is worth protecting - well, the stakes are high and the threats are immediate.

I particularly like the way its various characters and factions are so well interwoven through the first three books. It really feels like a cohesive whole rather than three separate adventures that happen to be near one another.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Curse of the Crimson Throne
The ongoing NPCs really make this consistantly well-written adventure path.

Paizo tried to do this again with Hell's Rebels, and were mostly successful. (But, Kintargo needed its own sourcebook)

Jenner2057 wrote:

I always go with the less-popular "Serpent's Skull". I loved this AP because:

1) I had a fantastic, engaged group of players that were really interested in the game and expanding on it.
and
2) I put in a LOT of work to flesh out all the factions exploring the lost city, the exploration and the lost city itself.
Lots of work but totally worthwhile!

Serpent's Skull is one I actually want to do in PF2, but I keep hearing that the middle part (book 3 especially) needs more work.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

I know the mythic rules gets some dislike(and that book 5 opening.....), but I really liked Wrath of the Righteous. The NPCs felt just the right level of interesting and recurring, without feeling like it was their show. It felt epic, and grand, and the chapter 1 opening is possibly the best opening I've seen in an AP. It took a lot of work to rework some parts, but I think that's true of almost any AP. I'd love to run it again someday, but would probably need to scale back the mythicness.. I followed the leveling/tiering as written and the PCS get ahead of the power curve too much.

Also looking forward to re-running Kingmaker in 2e.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

NielsenE wrote:
I know the mythic rules gets some dislike(and that book 5 opening.....), but I really liked Wrath of the Righteous. The NPCs felt just the right level of interesting and recurring, without feeling like it was their show. It felt epic, and grand, and the chapter 1 opening is possibly the best opening I've seen in an AP. It took a lot of work to rework some parts, but I think that's true of almost any AP. I'd love to run it again someday, but would probably need to scale back the mythicness.. I followed the leveling/tiering as written and the PCS get ahead of the power curve too much.

NielsenE, Would the rework of a PF2 conversion improve the AP?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Iron Gods, because it's Iron Gods.

Assimilation is eminent.

Resistance is futile.


Captain Yesterday, Not a Borg wrote:

Iron Gods, because it's Iron Gods.

Assimilation is eminent.

Resistance is futile.

You are not a borg. You are one of us.

We are the Paizomatrix.
Lower your shields and surrender your ships.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your culture will adapt to service us.
Resistance is futile.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Lord Fyre wrote:
NielsenE wrote:
I know the mythic rules gets some dislike(and that book 5 opening.....), but I really liked Wrath of the Righteous. The NPCs felt just the right level of interesting and recurring, without feeling like it was their show. It felt epic, and grand, and the chapter 1 opening is possibly the best opening I've seen in an AP. It took a lot of work to rework some parts, but I think that's true of almost any AP. I'd love to run it again someday, but would probably need to scale back the mythicness.. I followed the leveling/tiering as written and the PCS get ahead of the power curve too much.
NielsenE, Would the rework of a PF2 conversion improve the AP?

That's a tough question. First its a mid-late life PF1 adventure that uses a lot of non-core classes for npcs. Also goes very deep into high level outsiders with high class levels, which while I think PF2 will handle, I'd like to see some slower/organic growth towards those builds to understand how they work before trying to convert it.

With regards to the Mythic tiers, its pretty easy (ie the AP gives guidance) for how to remove them for the first 3-4 books, after that the power curve typically needs some extra help to the PCs. I think if I were to try it, its the campaign where I would do some form of gestalt/bonus class feats, in place of mythic, probably starting in book 3 (at least IIRC there's a good narrative event there, instead of the book 1 event). The finale should feel epic, both harder and more capable than a usual level 20. So I think we need time in the system to figure out what that looks like now, even if home ruled.

There was only one dungeon/encounter area across the entire AP that just felt wrong/boring to my PCs. So the AP has great bones/stories/encounters, just the mythic rules were too exploitable. I also had a mix of player optimization levels (a fairly optimized unchained summoner, and a VERY optimized archer... then a fairly non-optimized cleric and paladin.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hell's Rebels is a favourite of mine. The group I had for it was amazing and became incredibly invested in their characters, the city, and the NPCs. The story is great, feels open but still fairly straightforward with what to do. So many NPCs that some will get lost in the shuffle, but that's okay as it allows the players to focus and interact with the ones that they want to without the AP suffering for it.

Mummy's Mask is also up there for me as I really like the three distinct parts. It's a mystery done in a way where information is slowly revealed to the party rather than leaving it up to the players to solve a puzzle. The AP seems to be overlooked a lot. The board for it isn't very busy but I think that's more because it's a solidly written AP that doesn't have GMs scratching their heads/trying to fix it. My players assumed it was a dungeon crawl (because it starts off that way), then thought it became a horror survival game... now they're halfway through the third book and have realized that the type of game keeps on changing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Warped Savant wrote:


Mummy's Mask is also up there for me as I really like the three distinct parts. It's a mystery done in a way where information is slowly revealed to the party rather than leaving it up to the players to solve a puzzle. The AP seems to be overlooked a lot. The board for it isn't very busy but I think that's more because it's a solidly written AP that doesn't have GMs scratching their heads/trying to fix it. My players assumed it was a dungeon crawl (because it starts off that way), then thought it became a horror survival game... now they're halfway through the third book and have realized that the type of game keeps on changing.

Oddly, this completely sells me. I might have to buy the PDFs now. There were some mediocre comments about this AP which dashed my hopes TBH. As a grognard of the old Desert of Desolation series, I'll take another look.

Back to the OP (and not in order).
Carrion Crown. This scratches some Ravenlofty itches without the Fear/Horror mechanics. A solid framework, but tying up the story better is a must IMHO.

Kingmaker. Old school hexploration which doubles as a good plug and play foundation to expand just about anything. I'd still run this with kingdom building and mass combat rules in the background.

Skull and Shackles. I'd run part one of Serpent Skull as a prequel here and "rescue" the shipwrecked via the Wormwood.

Other notables would be CotCT, RotR, Serpent Skull, Iron Gods and possibly Strange Aeons.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sunderstone wrote:
Oddly, this completely sells me. I might have to buy the PDFs now. There were some mediocre comments about this AP which dashed my hopes TBH. As a grognard of the old Desert of Desolation series, I'll take another look.

The only reason I gave it an honest look was because all of my players said they wanted me to run it due to it taking place in the equivalent of ancient Egypt. I'm incredibly glad they talked me into it. (And no, it's not just undead and traps. Yes, undead are a main enemy but they're varied enough that it doesn't feel like the same thing over and over again. Having someone decent at traps is kind of required. But having a PC that can do research in a library is also required.... and there's some good politics during one of the books... I could go on forever about how much better Mummy's Mask is than people give it credit for, but I won't.)

And since you like hexploration you'll enjoy a part in the middle of the AP ;)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Warped Savant wrote:
Sunderstone wrote:
Oddly, this completely sells me. I might have to buy the PDFs now. There were some mediocre comments about this AP which dashed my hopes TBH. As a grognard of the old Desert of Desolation series, I'll take another look.

The only reason I gave it an honest look was because all of my players said they wanted me to run it due to it taking place in the equivalent of ancient Egypt. I'm incredibly glad they talked me into it. (And no, it's not just undead and traps. Yes, undead are a main enemy but they're varied enough that it doesn't feel like the same thing over and over again. Having someone decent at traps is kind of required. But having a PC that can do research in a library is also required.... and there's some good politics during one of the books... I could go on forever about how much better Mummy's Mask is than people give it credit for, but I won't.)

And since you like hexploration you'll enjoy a part in the middle of the AP ;)

it's a really good AP.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Sunderstone wrote:
Warped Savant wrote:


Mummy's Mask is also up there for me as I really like the three distinct parts. It's a mystery done in a way where information is slowly revealed to the party rather than leaving it up to the players to solve a puzzle. The AP seems to be overlooked a lot. The board for it isn't very busy but I think that's more because it's a solidly written AP that doesn't have GMs scratching their heads/trying to fix it. My players assumed it was a dungeon crawl (because it starts off that way), then thought it became a horror survival game... now they're halfway through the third book and have realized that the type of game keeps on changing.

Oddly, this completely sells me. I might have to buy the PDFs now. There were some mediocre comments about this AP which dashed my hopes TBH. As a grognard of the old Desert of Desolation series, I'll take another look.

Back to the OP (and not in order).
Carrion Crown. This scratches some Ravenlofty itches without the Fear/Horror mechanics. A solid framework, but tying up the story better is a must IMHO.

Kingmaker. Old school hexploration which doubles as a good plug and play foundation to expand just about anything. I'd still run this with kingdom building and mass combat rules in the background.

Skull and Shackles. I'd run part one of Serpent Skull as a prequel here and "rescue" the shipwrecked via the Wormwood.

Other notables would be CotCT, RotR, Serpent Skull, Iron Gods and possibly Strange Aeons.

Oh Mummy's Mask is so fun. I actually bought the PDFs of Desert of Desolation and converted them and ran them as an additional part of the path! Basically, after book one or two (I'm forgetting which now), I injected them joining a caravan over to Lamasara in order to sell off all their grave looting (er archaeology) from the first book, and turned it into sort of a tour of every desert thing I could get my hands on.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm in the middle of a Giantslayer read through atm. I'm also outlining a RotR/Giantslayer hybrid campaign while I'm at it. Basically keeping RotR books 1-4, extending 4 into book 4 of GS, merging GS book 5 with the Drow in Shattered Star book 5, and a combined finish of book 6 of both RotR and GS. Think a modern GDQ series.

After this is done, I'll purchase Mummy's Mask for sure. Thanks for rekindling my Ancient Egypt spark (Savant, Yak, and Phaedre).


Do I have to pick one?

I can narrow it down to three, with countless runners up. In no particular order:

-Hell's Rebels
-Strange Aeons
-Reign of Winter


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

My Personal Top 5 Today:

Curse of the Crimson Throne
Hell's Rebels
Strange Aeons
Mummy's Mask
Iron Gods


Strange Aeons.

Book 1 was good. Book 2 was excellent. Book 3 was an absolute masterpiece, books 4 and 5 were a little weak by comparison, but still very good, and book 6 returned to the reality bending weirdness of book 3.

Just... don’t trust the penguins.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

My player's enjoyed Kingmaker the best, but that was mostly the sandbox feel. I really like Strange Aeons and Council of Thieves myself.

Currently running Reign of Winter and only one of my players knows about the nonsense that is book 4 so I'm excited! My players just hit book 2 which is where we converted to 2E which they are liking quite a bit.


Neriathale wrote:

Strange Aeons.

Book 1 was good. Book 2 was excellent. Book 3 was an absolute masterpiece, books 4 and 5 were a little weak by comparison, but still very good, and book 6 returned to the reality bending weirdness of book 3.

Just... don’t trust the penguins.

Do you not find all AP's have a weak book though? Even with my beloved Curse of the Crimson Throne I read bk 4 and thought 'er why'.

Also, over here penguins are chocolate biscuits, and delicious!

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Reign of Winter.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

zimmerwald1915 wrote:
Reign of Winter.

You are not done. ;)

The OP asked for the "why" also.


The only Pathfinder AP I have GMed (and am still in the middle of) is Iron Gods. It is by default my favorite. Its set in a non-standard fantasy location (Numeria), has enemies you won't find in any other adventures (robots, aliens), and really scratches my Star Wars itch, even though its not specifically from sci-fantasy. Some of my players took my suggestion and created characters based on a sci-fantasy theme (Guardians of the Galaxy).

I also have run Age of Worms from Dungeon Magazine. While not Pathfinder, it was from Paizo. It was the first 1st-20th level campaign I had ever DMed. I liked it alot because it was a fairly straight- forward fantasy storyline, and was supported by Eberron conversion notes from Keith Baker. I even created a soundtrack CD complete with track list and cover art for all of the players who took part in the campaign, whether they played through the whole thing or not.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

All of them. I'm the kind of guy who believes there is no such thing as a bad adventure, be it path or module.


Lord Fyre wrote:
zimmerwald1915 wrote:
Reign of Winter.

You are not done. ;)

The OP asked for the "why" also.

I'll admit to be curious about that too. I've seen some quite critical posts on the boards about Reign and would be interested in your counterpoint.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

No love for RotRL? It used to be a regular favorite around here.

From the ones I've run, it's Curse of the Crimson Throne along with Hell's Rebels. City-based APs are always a good thing (see also Shackled City from way back when). Jade Regent and Legacy of Fire are also great.

Will probably run War for the Crown next, looking forward to it!


Krathanos wrote:

No love for RotRL? It used to be a regular favorite around here.

Rise is a good AP, there's lots to like, it's just not my favourite.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Voltron64 wrote:
All of them. I'm the kind of guy who believes there is no such thing as a bad adventure, be it path or module.

I concur. When you get people together, that's the magic.

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Lord Fyre wrote:
zimmerwald1915 wrote:
Reign of Winter.

You are not done. ;)

The OP asked for the "why" also.

You get to spend a whole book cutting your way through White Guards, what's not to like?

More seriously, I like Russian folklore and think it was captured well. I like the underground maneuvering/manipulation of the Iron Guard by the Heralds in Book 2. I liked the art and aesthetic of the books themselves. I liked the proto-Mythic feel and the scope to implement the mechanics free of the need that Wrath of the Righteous felt to showcase the full gamut (and thus the ridiculousness) of the new system.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I have a certain fondness for Ironfang Invasion, Hell's Rebels, and CotCT. At heart, they're all about being the backbone of an insurgency, and the later written ones have actual rules to let you lead it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I still have Hell's Rebels and War for the Crown ahead of me, so I can't really comment on them, except that I love the concepts of them.

Of the ones I've played, the two that most stand out are Jade Regent and Curse of the Crimson Throne, both of which were excellent. Both also had their faults, but the good outweighed the bad significantly.

Just do something to buff the end boss(es) of Jade Regent, because I GM'ed that campaign twice and both times they died way too quickly.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I've only run one AP so far - Rise of the Runelords - for two different groups - and have enjoyed doing so. Even with the AE it had a few weak spots but I still like it.

Of the ones which I've read/skimmed and will/could run in the future: Reign of Winter, Mummy's Mask, Curse of the Crimson Throne, and Jade Regent top the list.

Iron Gods, Strange Aeons, Shattered Star, Return of the Runelords, and Ruins of Azlant share second place.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Loving my run of Strange Aeons right now. The lovecraftian themes are fun, and it presents challenges for players beyond combat if you incorporate horror and fear systems. This one won't be for everyone, but if you and your players want a game that plays like a good thriller movie, this should work for you.

On the other hand -

I will always be willing to run Kingmaker. No adventure path I've run required more customization and preparation from me as the DM, but every penny returned a pound. Similar to Strange Aeons, Kingmaker presents challenges for players beyond combat - in this case, roleplaying a nation. Between players that enjoy politics, players that enjoy Game of Thrones, players that enjoy all things Fae, and fans of Lewis Carroll/Dodgson, this was my first favorite AP and will always be on that list.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / General Discussion / What Is Your Favorite Adventure Path & Why ? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion