PF2: The Average Human


Advice


Hi, everyone.

What level is the average human in PF2?

And, how rare are higher level human NPCs?

Just wondering if the assumption that 95% of the population is 1st level is accurate?

And, maybe 2% are 2nd or 3rd level? And, another 1% are 4th or 5th level?

And, higher levels are even rarer?

Just wondering.

Thank you.


I'd assume 95% of the population are level -1 or 0 actually, with some mild skill training. With the other 5% being first level and above, decreasing rapidly with level.


in pf1e APs most NPCs were like 3-5 in npc classes, so i don't know.

Liberty's Edge

Per PF1, average adults are usually 1st to 3rd level or so...but in NPC Classes, so they'd be one level lower by PF2 standards.

That'd make most random people levels 0-2. That sounds about right.

Now, the number who have PC Classes and should thus even maybe be built like PCs is much lower (on the order of 5% or so), but level 0-2 really does seem correct.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'd expect most people to be zero level. IIRC there is some mention of zero-level NPCs in the CRB, but can't recall where.

You could make a zero-level NPC by just giving them ancestry and background, then stopping. So a human would have only 4 ability boosts and a maximum of 14 in any stat.


Interesting...

I like the idea of just making a human with an ancestry and background, but no class.

From there, could apply the weak or elite modifications and maybe add a thematic ability and the NPC would be done.

I think I like it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

And also perhaps throw them a higher skill prof than would be expected for their level, to represent someone who actually decided to stay a farmhand, or a merchant, or a doctor instead of running off to become an adventurer.

We are undoubtedly going to get some more concrete rules in the Game Mastery Guide, but I don't believe that is slated for release until early 2020.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Hrothgar Rannúlfr wrote:

Interesting...

I like the idea of just making a human with an ancestry and background, but no class.

From there, could apply the weak or elite modifications and maybe add a thematic ability and the NPC would be done.

I think I like it.

I have made just such a proposal in another thread. I'm a little unsure if it's really a homebrew, or just a creative interpretation of the CRB.

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs42pjn?Zerolevel-NPCs


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber

Drunken farmers in Fall of Plaguestone have Strength modifier +3, Dexterity modifier +1, Constitution modifier +1, Intelligence modifier +1, Wisdom modifier +0, Charisma modifier +1.

Perhaps alcohol in Golarion 2e supercharges people into superlative specimens.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Seven total stat mods is less than a 1st-level PC, but more than an NPC created with simply ancestry and background. I see nothing wrong with it, but it does appear fairly arbitrary without any guidelines for the creation of zero or 1st-level NPCs.

Exo-Guardians

Wheldrake wrote:
Hrothgar Rannúlfr wrote:

Interesting...

I like the idea of just making a human with an ancestry and background, but no class.

From there, could apply the weak or elite modifications and maybe add a thematic ability and the NPC would be done.

I think I like it.

I have made just such a proposal in another thread. I'm a little unsure if it's really a homebrew, or just a creative interpretation of the CRB.

Paizo devs (including Jason Buhlmahn at Paizocon) have said that the ability to quickly make NPCs this way is one of the reasons the PF2 character creation process is designed the way it is. It's definitely an intended use case, even if it's not spelled out in so many words in the CRB.

In any event, I'd expect the soon-to-be-released Gamemastery Guide to go into more detail on NPC creation. That book is supposed to be more akin to the D&D DMG than the PF1 Gamemastery Guide was (i.e. more crunch, less "12 types of player personalities").


Hrothgar Rannúlfr wrote:

Hi, everyone.

What level is the average human in PF2?

And, how rare are higher level human NPCs?

Just wondering if the assumption that 95% of the population is 1st level is accurate?

And, maybe 2% are 2nd or 3rd level? And, another 1% are 4th or 5th level?

And, higher levels are even rarer?

Just wondering.

Thank you.

The average human could be any level the GM likes in PF2, unless you're in Golarion.

In Golarion, probably 0-2.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Advice / PF2: The Average Human All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.