Players have allowed Meyanda to go back to Scrapwall. What now?


Iron Gods


Hi all, I'm running Iron gods for the first time and need a bit of advice.

My players have agreed to let Meyanda go back to Scrapwall (along with her pistol and the disabled/disconnected power transmitter from the reactor). They held a court session with the Torch council in which they convinced them that letting her go was the best course of action.

This is despite the fact that she is completely unrepentant, refuses to engage with the human members of the party and has outright told them that she will go back to Hellion to continue the work of trying to usher in an age of machines. She has been unwaveringly blunt with them. She convinced the party cleric that letting her go would be a professional courtesy.

The only things she had going for her is that she is helping them get the reactor going long enough to re-power the decontamination chamber and heal Khonnir, and that she said that turning off the torch was nothing personal against the residents of the town and that she hadn't gone out of her way to hurt anybody. Which is technically true.

So now that she's safely going back to Scrapwall and Torch is on high alert against future such incursions, what would she do next?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Here's where you get to GM your world. First, I don't understand why the council would be OK with letting her go. This seems like a horrible mischaracterization when dealing with someone that literally cut off the livelihood of the entire town. But, that's all water under the bridge at this point.

Meyanda needs to follow her motivations. She was working for Hellion, so she would certainly return to Hellion.

Now you need to decide what Hellion will do with Meyanda. Does he reward her for returning with information about this group of adventurers that are most assuredly heading their way? Or does he punish her for failing to keep the power converter operating?

I'd recommend picking a spot to drop Meyanda into Hellion's group. You could put her at a halfway point in the module or just save her for somewhere near the end. Her return should have some dramatic impact and perhaps even be a surprise for the players who so foolishly let her escape.

I would adjust some of the tactics and encounters in the book as the Lords of Rust now have a lot of information they can use against the PCs.

There are a lot of things you can do with it and make it fun. Your players' actions should have consequences and impacts upon the storyline and this is one of those times.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

[b]PFRPGrognard is giving you the right advice in this situation.

The problem is similar to the scenario where she somehow escapes the PCs.

Peter Acs wrote:
My players have agreed to let Meyanda go back to Scrapwall (along with her pistol and the disabled/disconnected power transmitter from the reactor). They held a court session with the Torch council in which they convinced them that letting her go was the best course of action.

I am still at a loss to understand how the players came up with this insane idea. I might understand the players not wanting to see her executed, but letting her go?


I see Meyanda as returning to Scrapwall with the power transmitter. She is the high priest of Hellion after all and still loyal to him.

The best clue as to the reaction of Hellion is on page 30 of Lords of Rust:

Lords of Rust wrote:

N. Receiver Array (CR 6)

Until quite recently, this site was the base of a gang of chokers who had become obsessed with the worship of Hellion, for it was here, in the twisted ruins below an immense receiver dish that was once a part of a larger communications array, that Hellion chose to first make its presence known. At that time, the complex was already the lair of a large band of chokers, and the sudden emergence of a strange voice from the very walls of their home was a shock for them. The chokers began to follow the voice’s commands, and as some of their number grew devout enough, they gained the ability to cast divine spells. Thus the Thralls of Hellion were born.

Unfortunately for the chokers, Hellion chose them as the guardians of something entirely beyond their power to defend. The receiving array was where the AI had Meyanda beam power from Torch, and agents of the Lords of Rust came daily to swap out batteries and carry fully charged replacements back to the depths of the buried excavator, analogous to slowly but steadily filling an impossibly deep well. When the PCs disrupted this plan by defeating Meyanda, the chokers panicked and tried to cover up the loss of power, but Hellion had already learned of the development. The Thralls of Hellion, its first group of devoted worshipers, became a convenient outlet for the AI’s frustration and anger, and it sent the Lords of Rust to scour them from Scrapwall.

Thus, Hellion sounds angry about the disruption of the power supply and eager to take out his anger on anyone who might be at fault.

However, Peter Acs is the GM. He can (and I believe "should") override the module when that would make the campaign more fun for the players. What would be the most interesting way to encounter Meyanda again? She could be slowly tortured in the Scrapmaster’s Arena (area Q1) to gain the party's sympathy. She could be a respected sub-boss besides Helskarg, Nalakai, and Kulgara in the Lords of Rust ready to make life miserable for the party. She could be performing menial work to earn her place in the Lords of Rust again. She could show up just as the party is about to fool the Lords of Rust and say, "No, I've met those people. They are from Torch." She could have been sent off to Iadenveigh or the Choking Tower in the 3rd module to seek a new power source and make life more complicated for the party there. She could have been sent to steal a power source from the Technic League and be found as their prisoner in the 5th module.

Or another weird idea is that Meyanda could be totally professional She could arrange to buy power from Torch. The town rents out the torch to customers. How about she pay for a block of time and use that time to turn off the torch and send power to Scrapwall? She would have to make arrangements with Hellion in order to find enough wealth to buy the power. The party could accompany her. That would require totally rewriting the 2nd module. I have pulled off such rewrites myself, but only after I had three years of experience as a GM.

In my own campaign, the party captured Meyanda alive and turned her over to the town council. The town council improvised a cell in a basement of a councillor's mansion, because they did not want any Technic League spies to know about her. She escaped from the cell some time later and would have shown up in Scrapwall when her appearance made sense for the plot. It never did, so instead, she showed up after the death of Hellion had altered her. Her cleric levels had been transformed into oracle levels with the apocalypse mystery and wasting curse, and she was concerned with leading the loyal remnants of the Lords of Rust out of Scrapwall. Her sole purpose there was to emphasize that Hellion had actually been some kind of god.


Lord Fyre wrote:
I am still at a loss to understand how the players came up with this insane idea. I might understand the players not wanting to see her executed, but letting her go?

You and me both! They decided that it was too risky to keep her as if word got out to the Technic League that there was an android being harboured in the town then it might cause them difficulties.

I thought they would give her the chop asap and she was quite resigned to the idea of being martyred for her god.

PFRPGrognard wrote:
First, I don't understand why the council would be OK with letting her go. This seems like a horrible mischaracterization when dealing with someone that literally cut off the livelihood of the entire town. But, that's all water under the bridge at this point.

The council was strongly against letting her go and the party leaned heavily on diplomacy to convince them. They had some leverage over them due to their successful mission and gave convincing speeches.

Garmen weighed in pretty heavily on Meyanda's side as well, as he thought it could be lucrative to get her free and he holds some sway due to the money he's owed. With Garmen, the players put two and two together to make five. They realised that Sanvil was likely a spy of some kind but decided not to investigate the warehouse as any enemy of the Technic League is a friend of theirs! So they are actually on quite good terms with Garmen and suspect nothing of his involvement.

She's definitely going to show up again, and overall she's made the best of a (very) bad situation. Hopefully Hellion has taken out his anger on someone else by the time she gets home...

Mathmuse wrote:
What would be the most interesting way to encounter Meyanda again?

Thank you for all the interesting ideas. She did actually suggest going legit with the party and sorting out a 'timeshare' on the reactor whereby she sends power to Scrapwall by night and they use the torch by day. It was turned down as the players don't much like the idea of Hellion trying to usher in an age of machines...

I like the idea that she has headed to the Choking Tower or to the Technic League to try and find an alternative source of power. It would also lead the party to meeting up with her later after she's been cut off from Hellion's influence for some time.


Peter Acs wrote:

Hi all, I'm running Iron gods for the first time and need a bit of advice.

My players have agreed to let Meyanda go back to Scrapwall (along with her pistol and the disabled/disconnected power transmitter from the reactor). They held a court session with the Torch council in which they convinced them that letting her go was the best course of action.

This is despite the fact that she is completely unrepentant, refuses to engage with the human members of the party and has outright told them that she will go back to Hellion to continue the work of trying to usher in an age of machines. She has been unwaveringly blunt with them. She convinced the party cleric that letting her go would be a professional courtesy.

The only things she had going for her is that she is helping them get the reactor going long enough to re-power the decontamination chamber and heal Khonnir, and that she said that turning off the torch was nothing personal against the residents of the town and that she hadn't gone out of her way to hurt anybody. Which is technically true.

So now that she's safely going back to Scrapwall and Torch is on high alert against future such incursions, what would she do next?

So why is the reactor turned off below Torch? Aren't any of the PCs willing or able to restore power? I don't see Torch being OK with their livelihood being stripped away by a psychotic zealot like Meyanda. Surely Khonnir and Brother Kyte could get it running again. Did I miss something in an earlier post?


Peter Acs, what happened in your game with Sanvil Trett? If he's still active I could totally see him getting in touch with Meyanda and trying to sell her on an alliance with the Technic League. Mind you, if she's as honest with him as she was with the PCs it will be a setup so that he can find out about this Hellion entity, who is obviously a threat to the League.


RedRobe wrote:


So why is the reactor turned off below Torch? Aren't any of the PCs willing or able to restore power? I don't see Torch being OK with their livelihood being stripped away by a psychotic zealot like Meyanda. Surely Khonnir and Brother Kyte could get it running again. Did I miss something in an earlier post?

Ah, the reactor isn't 'off' as such, it's just back to its regular state of malfunctioning and venting via the torch. I guess from the point of view of the townsfolk it's now 'on' again, but it's no longer powering the ship.

CharlieIAm wrote:
Peter Acs, what happened in your game with Sanvil Trett? If he's still active I could totally see him getting in touch with Meyanda and trying to sell her on an alliance with the Technic League. Mind you, if she's as honest with him as she was with the PCs it will be a setup so that he can find out about this Hellion entity, who is obviously a threat to the League.

The party were pretty sure that Sanvil was stealing form them and/or spying on them, but couldn't muster enough proof about him before he skipped town. He didn't get much physical evidence of what they'd found though, so it remains to be seen whether the Technic League will intervene based on his findings or not.


Okay, then.

This is all DM stuff, I really should spoiler it:
So the task here is getting the PCs headed for Scrapwall (because that's a lot easier than rewriting the entire rest of the AP. :D )

If Meyanda mentioned Scrapwall, you can try having the town council get increasingly nervous over the course of 2-3 weeks about her threats, and make the reward offer from the start of Lords of Rust to check out/deal with any potential danger to Torch ("Just in case"), in addition to Joram Kyte's request to contact Dinvaya (he should have no trouble convincing the party cleric to do it as a professional courtesy, right?)

If Scrapwall didn't come up, it gets trickier. Garmen Ulreth probably knows that Meyanda came from Scrapwall and might sell that information to the town council - if so, you might want to knock 500 GP off the reward offered to the PCs. ;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Everything I read about Hellion screams he will absolutely vent his Anger on the Messenger. That means wherever you meet her again, I would show how he punished her, e.g. by serious mutliation, branding, something in that direction. It also gives a perfect push to her to get over her attachment to this crazed god. For the long con she could end up in contact with Unity, because it actually Shares the Goals of a machine-dominated world with Hellion. This would enable you to have a more active Agent of Unity running around, something that is severely missing from the AP as is.

A similar idea to what I am toying with for one of my characters is her offering her body as a Transport for Casandalees memories. Again, this would enable a much more active role for Casandalee AND you have the nice roleplaying/Moral challenge of what do two souls in one body mean, especially as they are destined for godhood.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

So I didn't read the whole thread just the OP but here is my suggestion.

IF given the chance to get back to scrapwall 1 of 2 things are going to happen. She is allowed back in but do to her failure which the Lords and Hellion know about by this point because they stopped receiving power she will be demoted or punished and would make a decent encounter in areas Q-T in book two with some minions.

Situation 2; Due to her failure Hellion revokes her divine power and either kills or tortures her. If the latter the PC's can come upon her and free her and prove that they were right about Hellion being bad and or a false god and gain her as an ally.

Actually I have though of a few more. Situation 3; She returns is punished for her failure however through a show of force she bests Kulgara in single combat and manages to keep her position as Hellions prime Cleric. Meyanda and Hellion redouble their effort to claim energy from torch and decide on an aggressive approach sending more troops to guarantee their success. If the PC's don't make it to scrapwall before this force leves Torch is in trouble and may even encounter some of these forces on the road to scrapwall. If they do get to Scrapwall before this plan goes into action Make random encounters in scrapwall more common and recreate the Thralls of Hellion gang bolstering its forces with Ratfolk and Orcs besides the chokers and have them report directly to Meyanda.


In order to make Option 3 believable you'd need to seriously bump Meyanda in power. Kulgara is one of the really dangerous NPC's with her magical chainsaw.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nicolas Paradise wrote:
Situation 2; Due to her failure Hellion revokes her divine power and either kills or tortures her. If the latter the PC's can come upon her and free her and prove that they were right about Hellion being bad and or a false god and gain her as an ally.

In my opinion, this is the most likely and most interesting outcome. :)

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Iron Gods / Players have allowed Meyanda to go back to Scrapwall. What now? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Iron Gods