All Focus spells uncommon?


Rules Discussion


Hello everyone.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems that *all* Focus spells are marked as "uncommon"?

Is this correct and if so what implications does that have for how characters can get them?

Sovereign Court

Weissrolf wrote:

Hello everyone.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems that *all* Focus spells are marked as "uncommon"?

Is this correct and if so what implications does that have for how characters can get them?

Yes, they're all marked uncommon, but you automatically get access to them via the class features/feats that give them to you.

So it's a bit redundant, since nobody else has a way to just get "random common" focus powers.

Maybe in the future you'll get something weird like a sorcerer feat that allows you to learn a focus power from a different bloodline, but first you have to do a quest to get access to it.


Ok, thanks.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

One effect is that they're not common knowledge. For example, the Recognize Spell feat lets you use your reaction to identify a spell as it is being cast, and if the spell is a common spell of 2nd level or lower you automatically succeed. Since focus spells aren't common, they can still fail at recognizing them (and the DC is probably a little higher).


Staffan Johansson wrote:
One effect is that they're not common knowledge. For example, the Recognize Spell feat lets you use your reaction to identify a spell as it is being cast, and if the spell is a common spell of 2nd level or lower you automatically succeed. Since focus spells aren't common, they can still fail at recognizing them (and the DC is probably a little higher).

This. The "uncommon" designation does two things: it designates options that are not automatically available for selection (which so far doesn't seem to apply to any focus spells, since they become available through class feats and all such class feats are common), and it designates how commonly familiar such elements are within the fiction of the game (this is what "uncommon" is referring to in the case of focus spells).

And if some future product were to release an uncommon class feat that grants an uncommon focus spell, then that is when "uncommon" would mean both.


If a GM were to grant access to a Focus Spell, must it require Focus Points?


The Rot Grub wrote:
If a GM were to grant access to a Focus Spell, must it require Focus Points?

Well it either costs focus points, or you deal with the consequences of allowing someone to use it every round all day long when it's not balanced for that.


The Rot Grub wrote:
If a GM were to grant access to a Focus Spell, must it require Focus Points?

Yes and no. Yes because Focus Spells on page 300 basically says so (that you can only cast focus spells with focus points, and "Casting any of your focus spells costs you 1 Focus Point"). No because they're the GM ;-)

Anyway, the GM can always say "you find a scroll with a spell of Arcane Thus And Such, which is an Nth-level arcane spell otherwise identical to the focus spell Thus And Such."


The Rot Grub wrote:
If a GM were to grant access to a Focus Spell, must it require Focus Points?

According to the book, yes. If you're house ruling then you can give everyone Wish at first level if you feel like it. I personally think focus spells should require focus points though.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / All Focus spells uncommon? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.