Volume 5 is worth it just for the Arcadia setting.


Tyrant's Grasp


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Seriously, this Xopatl writeup is pretty much ready for a campaign, and it’s awesome to see the Mesoamerican and Latinx inspiration here. I’m dying for more of this, and soon!

Even if the caraca did make me cackle when I saw him. Outsider calavera mariachi with a handgun? Incredible.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I was a bit disappointed that we get the stereotypical Aztecs/Maya expy civilization. I mean, it wasn't unexpected and probably the most likely for an introduction to Arcadia, but I was hoping for something not inspired by real life.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
magnuskn wrote:
I was a bit disappointed that we get the stereotypical Aztecs/Maya expy civilization. I mean, it wasn't unexpected and probably the most likely for an introduction to Arcadia, but I was hoping for something not inspired by real life.

It’s got no blood sacrifice, so that automatically makes it not stereotypical Aztecs. It also has people playing guitars and wearing lucha masks. There’s plenty there beyond just playing the history straight.

“Hoping for something not inspired by real life” is fine, but I’m perfectly okay getting cultures represented in the setting that haven’t had anything yet, and indigenous and latinx folks deserve the recognizable before the completely fantastical. It’s not like Avistan doesn’t have plenty of real-world-y nations.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I was hugely disappointed. I was hoping from the brief glimpses we'd had of Arcadia before to get a Native American setting. What we have in fact been given is Maztica Light (or in some cases Maztica light entertainment).

Paizo Employee Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
NotBothered wrote:
I was hugely disappointed. I was hoping from the brief glimpses we'd had of Arcadia before to get a Native American setting. What we have in fact been given is Maztica Light (or in some cases Maztica light entertainment).

Arcadia is enormous. We have much, much more to say about it than the few locations we've already shared. If there's something you wish Arcadia had that you haven't seen, keep in mind you haven't seen all of it!

Shadow Lodge

I'm in it for the map. How is the map?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

i would have gone overboard for a far more awful Aztec blood sacrifice demon worshiping society. Which is hinted at, and which, were I to ever do anything with, I would go hardcore into. in my personal campaign, i would have no noble savages, just death cults.

but as it is, pretty good stuff.

Personally, I would like for Arcadia to NEVER be covered by Paizo.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Yakman wrote:

i would have gone overboard for a far more awful Aztec blood sacrifice demon worshiping society. Which is hinted at, and which, were I to ever do anything with, I would go hardcore into. in my personal campaign, i would have no noble savages, just death cults.

but as it is, pretty good stuff.

Personally, I would like for Arcadia to NEVER be covered by Paizo.

Take a second and think about "I want the setting's indigenous/latinx representation to be stereotypical jungle murderers."

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

As a random real-life aside, the Mayans had flushing toilets and sediment filtration.

Though back to the topic at hand: when it comes to evil societies in Arcadia, I would like to see more about what syrinx civilization is like. Would PCs be able to successfully bargain with a parliament of philosopher-monarchs, or would they consider you to all be tough and stupid for lacking natural flight? Are there populations of syrinx who aren't eternally snooty?

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
The Shifty Mongoose wrote:
Are there populations of syrinx who aren't eternally snooty?

Probably. There are populations of elves who aren't and apparently all the returned Thassilonians will be curious and open-minded rather than haughty and snobbish.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Ron Lundeen wrote:
Arcadia is enormous. We have much, much more to say about it than the few locations we've already shared. If there's something you wish Arcadia had that you haven't seen, keep in mind you haven't seen all of it!

So there is still hope for a Native American part of Arcadia then. You have reinvigorated my interest good sir

Shadow Lodge

NotBothered wrote:
Ron Lundeen wrote:
Arcadia is enormous. We have much, much more to say about it than the few locations we've already shared. If there's something you wish Arcadia had that you haven't seen, keep in mind you haven't seen all of it!
So there is still hope for a Native American part of Arcadia then. You have reinvigorated my interest good sir

. . . considering that that term applies to all pre-Columbian inhabitants of both American continents, in other words, to a span of tens of thousands of years and millions of square miles, congratulations, you've gotten your wish.

Did you have anything more specific in mind?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
keftiu wrote:
Yakman wrote:

i would have gone overboard for a far more awful Aztec blood sacrifice demon worshiping society. Which is hinted at, and which, were I to ever do anything with, I would go hardcore into. in my personal campaign, i would have no noble savages, just death cults.

but as it is, pretty good stuff.

Personally, I would like for Arcadia to NEVER be covered by Paizo.

Take a second and think about "I want the setting's indigenous/latinx representation to be stereotypical jungle murderers."

yup.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
zimmerwald1915 wrote:
NotBothered wrote:
Ron Lundeen wrote:
Arcadia is enormous. We have much, much more to say about it than the few locations we've already shared. If there's something you wish Arcadia had that you haven't seen, keep in mind you haven't seen all of it!
So there is still hope for a Native American part of Arcadia then. You have reinvigorated my interest good sir

. . . considering that that term applies to all pre-Columbian inhabitants of both American continents, in other words, to a span of tens of thousands of years and millions of square miles, congratulations, you've gotten your wish.

Did you have anything more specific in mind?

Why yes I did, thank you for asking.

I am hoping for a setting that features an expy of the native people of what is now the USA and also southern Canada, but stopping short of the area that now comprises Central America.

Also well done for working out that America, which is how the USA is commonly referred to abroad, can also be misconstrued to mean the entire continent for pedantic purposes although sadly not amusing ones.


I hope that the various indigenous peoples of America are treated respectfully in their analogues in Arcadia.

As well as filled with the same amount of b&%$*@# crazy that makes up the fantasy kitchen sink that is Golarion.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

Xopatl is more Maya than Aztec (They ARE different cultures). Razaltan (sp?) seems perhaps closer to the Aztec empire analog.

I was pretty happy with the amount of info they jammed in there...definitely one of hte best backmatter sections

Paizo Employee Developer

5 people marked this as a favorite.

It warms my heart to see people liking the Xopatl gazetteer. I had a lot of fun writing it and would love to dive back into Arcadia as soon as they'll let me!


MMCJawa wrote:

Xopatl is more Maya than Aztec (They ARE different cultures). Razaltan (sp?) seems perhaps closer to the Aztec empire analog.

I was pretty happy with the amount of info they jammed in there...definitely one of the best backmatter sections

And the name alone lets me think Razatlan was one of the successors states of the Azlanti post-Earthfall ala Taldor.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Luis Loza wrote:
It warms my heart to see people liking the Xopatl gazetteer. I had a lot of fun writing it and would love to dive back into Arcadia as soon as they'll let me!

Should you ever need someone for a game set there - or heaven forbid, an AP - I’m here!

Kinda dying to make a “various factions are trying to rig the ball game championship” scenario.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Luis Loza wrote:
It warms my heart to see people liking the Xopatl gazetteer. I had a lot of fun writing it and would love to dive back into Arcadia as soon as they'll let me!

They had better let you back in soon. That stuff was great, and I, like the many others, am eager to read more about it!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Tyrant's Grasp / Volume 5 is worth it just for the Arcadia setting. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.