Character creation questions (ability boost effects + skills)


Rules Discussion


Hey Pathfinders...
I'm dipping in and out of the rulebook trying to make up an old character using P2e rules, and had some questions. Hopefully someone here has some answers!

1) You get bonus languages at the time you select your Ancestry, and the rules state you receive "Additional languages equal to your Intelligence modifier (if it’s positive)." Is the Intelligence mod you apply here based on the stat mods you've chosen at this stage of character creation (i.e. only the stat boots that came from your ancestry), or do you return to this stage after you've worked through all the ABC stat boots and get bonus languages based on your total INT mod once your new L1 character is ready?

2) When assigning background stat boosts, e.g. "Choose two ability boosts. One must be to Intelligence or Wisdom, and one is a free ability boost.", can the free ability boost be one of the first two stats mentioned? e.g. in the example here, can I apply 2 boosts to INT?

3) Class skills also get modified by your INT mod, e.g. "Trained in a number of additional skills equal to 2 plus your Intelligence modifier". Do I take the INT mod that I have at that stage, e.g. prior to the 4x free boosts, or come back here and add extra skills if my INT mod goes up at a later stage of character creation?

4) Following on in this theme, HP are assigned at the Class stage, and they get X "plus your Constitution modifier". So if my CON mod goes up do I go back and recalculate HP derived during character creation. Also, so your HP go up at later levels if your CON mod goes up, e.g. I have 40 HP when I advance to 5th level and I put up my CON; do I backfill the extra HP that would come from this CON mod increase?

5) If you are trained in a skill thanks to your background, e.g. "You’re trained in the Religion skill and the Scribing Lore skill.", and you take a class with the same skill, e.g. Cleric "Trained in Religion", the Religion skill doesn't get a bonus when you take Cleric even though you already were trained in Religion, correct?

Thanks!
SBOZ

(Edited: stupid word transposition)


(1) Continuously applied so if int goes from 12 to 14 you get new language and trained skill.

(2) Can't apply two boost too same ability score.

(3)see 1

(4)HP is ancestery + class max hp + con mod. So if con goes up then apply extra 1 hp. So everytime you level apply your class hp to new hitpoints.

(5)if you gain same train skill you have to then choose to train in another skill of your choice.


Reziburno25 wrote:

(1) Continuously applied so if int goes from 12 to 14 you get new language and trained skill.

(2) Can't apply two boost too same ability score.

(3)see 1

(4)HP is ancestery + class max hp + con mod. So if con goes up then apply extra 1 hp. So everytime you level apply your class hp to new hitpoints.

(5)if you gain same train skill you have to then choose to train in another skill of your choice.

Excellent, thanks for the advice! :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I find its easier to ignore the listed character creation steps and go for... more straightforward ones.

1- Basically make the big decisions (concept/class/ancestry)

2- do the stats together (i do the 4 boosts, the ancestry, then background (picking the background after I assign the stats), and finally the class boost.

3- then do ancestry feat/heritage, any general feats that result, then class feat(s).

4- the skills and other derived stats (HP, saves, languages, etc).

5- spells, equipment, etc.

Jumping back and forth and 'saving decisions for later' muddles the process immensely.


Voss wrote:

I find its easier to ignore the listed character creation steps and go for... more straightforward ones.

1- Basically make the big decisions (concept/class/ancestry)

2- do the stats together (i do the 4 boosts, the ancestry, then background (picking the background after I assign the stats), and finally the class boost.

3- then do ancestry feat/heritage, any general feats that result, then class feat(s).

4- the skills and other derived stats (HP, saves, languages, etc).

5- spells, equipment, etc.

Jumping back and forth and 'saving decisions for later' muddles the process immensely.

Only caveat to that is the voluntary flaws steps that is dependant on the ancestry as the choice for the 2 flaws and 1 boost may be affected by the ancestry boost and flows.


Not sure why that'd be a caveat. If you're going to use the
'voluntary min/maxing' rule, just do it at the same time.


Casts raise thread

Can’t really find this anywhere and this seemed like an appropriate thread to ask this:

During the ancestry step of calculating ability scores, are you able to put the free ability boost in the same score as your ability flaw? (I.e. could an elf choose their ancestral ability boosts to be dex, Int, and Con?) I know for a fact that this was explicitly confirmed in the rules for the Playtest, but in the final version there is no indication one way or the other (only thing I can find is the example with the dwarf that says {paraphrasing} “they can put the free ability boost in any score except Con or Wis”).

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Yes, you can negate the flaw from ancestry with an ancestry boost


Franz Lunzer wrote:
Yes, you can negate the flaw from ancestry with an ancestry boost

Not to be a stickler (PFS is very adamant about following the rules, so I don’t wanna get this wrong), but do you have a source for that?


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
KingTreyIII wrote:
Franz Lunzer wrote:
Yes, you can negate the flaw from ancestry with an ancestry boost
Not to be a stickler (PFS is very adamant about following the rules, so I don’t wanna get this wrong), but do you have a source for that?

On page 20, we have the only rule about allocating a free ability score boost:

"However, when you gain multiple ability boosts at the same time, you must apply each one to a different score."

There are some exceptions and other qualifiers described later for the voluntary flaw option (gaining one additional free boost in exchange for two free flaws), but they are not relevant to this issue.

But since the ability score that has an ancestry based flaw does not already have a boost, it is definitely a valid choice for your free boost at the ancestry step.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
David knott 242 wrote:
KingTreyIII wrote:
Franz Lunzer wrote:
Yes, you can negate the flaw from ancestry with an ancestry boost
Not to be a stickler (PFS is very adamant about following the rules, so I don’t wanna get this wrong), but do you have a source for that?

On page 20, we have the only rule about allocating a free ability score boost:

"However, when you gain multiple ability boosts at the same time, you must apply each one to a different score."

There are some exceptions and other qualifiers described later for the voluntary flaw option (gaining one additional free boost in exchange for two free flaws), but they are not relevant to this issue.

But since the ability score that has an ancestry based flaw does not already have a boost, it is definitely a valid choice for your free boost at the ancestry step.

The very next sentence confirms it, for clarity:

"Dwarves, for example, receive an ability boost to their Constitution score and their Wisdom score, as well as one free ability boost, which can be applied to any score other than Constitution or Wisdom."

If Charisma (the Dwarf ability flaw) were meant to be an additional exception, this would have been a place to say so.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / Character creation questions (ability boost effects + skills) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.