Do martials need to take ancestry weapon Familiarity to use ancestry weapons?


Rules Discussion

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Do martials such as Fighters and Rangers need to pick up a weapon Familiarity feat to use an ancestry weapon. Most of said weapons are just uncommon martail. So my inclination is that as long as a GM says it is findable the answer is no.

For instance there will be a goblin ranger in my game. Since he has martial proficiency he can use a Dogslicer or Horsechopper without the ancestry trait?

The named traits on the weapons doesn't say anything about needing to be of that race.


Nicolas Paradise wrote:

Do martials such as Fighters and Rangers need to pick up a weapon Familiarity feat to use an ancestry weapon. Most of said weapons are just uncommon martail. So my inclination is that as long as a GM says it is findable the answer is no.

For instance there will be a goblin ranger in my game. Since he has martial proficiency he can use a Dogslicer or Horsechopper without the ancestry trait?

The named traits on the weapons doesn't say anything about needing to be of that race.

No, taking the feat just means you'll have a better chance of finding it in that case. You don't need to feat to wield it if it is martial.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Captain Morgan wrote:
Nicolas Paradise wrote:

Do martials such as Fighters and Rangers need to pick up a weapon Familiarity feat to use an ancestry weapon. Most of said weapons are just uncommon martail. So my inclination is that as long as a GM says it is findable the answer is no.

For instance there will be a goblin ranger in my game. Since he has martial proficiency he can use a Dogslicer or Horsechopper without the ancestry trait?

The named traits on the weapons doesn't say anything about needing to be of that race.

No, taking the feat just means you'll have a better chance of finding it in that case. You don't need to feat to wield it if it is martial.

That is what I figured so those feats are really just for classes who don't have martial weapons and want to use a racial weapon.


Proficiently aside, am I right that being a dwarf does not grant access to uncommon dwarven weapons. That you need GM allowance or Weapon Familiarity to start the game with a Clan dagger?


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Yes


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DM Livgin wrote:
Proficiently aside, am I right that being a dwarf does not grant access to uncommon dwarven weapons. That you need GM allowance or Weapon Familiarity to start the game with a Clan dagger?

I am having trouble imagining the GM who says "no" to "hey can I start with my clan dagger? It's uncommon, but my character is a dwarf who has a clan..."

I think it's clear that the reason they are uncommon is "dwarves don't make these to sell, and selling/misplacing the one they give you is considered shameful."

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Rules Discussion / Do martials need to take ancestry weapon Familiarity to use ancestry weapons? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.